Open Letter to Wargaming Regarding War Stories

War Stories World of Tanks Console Brothers in Armor Flashpoint Berlin Operation Sealion Kennedy’s War

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

omega760 #1 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5896 battles

To Wargaming,

I’ve thought about writing this since Operation Sealion, but figured I’d wait for Kennedy’s War just to give you as much time as possible to react to feedback. Actually no, I think I wanted to write this on the second day of War Stories when the earnings were nerfed. What...is the point of War Stories? What did you have in mind when you designed it?

Let’s look at all available evidence. It has small cutscenes with named characters which indicates you wanted a protagonist for each mission set, simple as the story may be, rather then the simple objective based combat of Proving Grounds. It has an overarching reward op for mission completions which has requirements in the thousands which indicates you expected people to play this a LOT. After the nerf, it has less rewards then even Proving Grounds with the credits easily dipping into the red if you’re not careful which indicates you don’t want people playing this over and over to make significant rewards in credits or XP. After the ‘tutorial’ missions the only additional reward for completing the missions is a discount in the store which indicates you want to use the missions to entice people to spend money on your game.

So to summarize, you created a story-based carrot to dangle in front of people to make them hand you money and you expect them to play these missions over and over for almost no reward when compared to the amount of effort required. Personally, I think this is a massive waste of development resources. If you want people to hand you money just run a one week big discount instead of trying to give people a false sense of accomplishment by making them think they ‘earned’ that discount. If you want feedback on things that could ACTUALLY use the resources here’s a short list: ghost shells still happen with annoying frequency, the new update makes some tanks phase out of existence ESPECIALLY on the new Redshire map, new tanks are always welcome, and numerous other improvements that would take minimal effort to discover.

I was SO excited for War Stories when it was announced and after everything that’s happened I looked at the announcement of Kennedy’s War not with excitement but with anticipated disappointment. In this tankers opinion, you have thoroughly ruined what could have been a really exciting, ambitious addition to your game. Something to set us apart from PC players on the same level as weather and for the longest time better looking maps. Now they are getting HD revamped maps and our big addition has petered out into a mode that barely has any draw over Proving Grounds.

Please. Fix your game mode. It doesn’t have to be as rewarding as multiplayer. In fact, it shouldn’t be as multiplayer is the true test of skill, but make it at least rewarding to play. Because right now it’s just been an excuse for you to release a discount to lure in cash. And that’s a bad mindset to have in making content. If you want people to spend money just offer a discount. Don’t dress it up and don’t ruin a new game mode just to do it. Bring back the excitement I felt. You can do better.

Dirk Magoo #2 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16438 battles
This :medal:

...als letzter Überlebender des teams fühlt man sich wie der Gewinner der Niederlage...

Jope2209 #3 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14439 battles

+1 for the effort and long post...agree with most of it...but WS is still good for farming silver ...you can easily do over 140k in 15-20 minutes playing WS Live target practice...3 runs with silver boosts on..

Although, it seems that ufter this last Update WG nerfed the earnings on WS and PG too...On PG ops it's definitely more difficult because AI was changed...for example on Island race you could just drive and shoot and AI would always shoot your turret and gun mantlet...now it seems like bots are aiming to track you and shoot your soft parts, so it's no longer possible to run and shoot..credits in PG are similar like before, unlike WS...

G: "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"

EB: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."

-- Somewhere in No Man's Land

BrogueOne #4 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13601 battles
  • [ELDER]
Well stated.  I’m struggling to understand the appeal to players who play War Stories to the point of unlocking Storyteller IX.  The only real advantage is that you don’t need as much thought or skill to fight the AI.  

Once I played through the first Story and got that free camo and emblems(and a few boosts) there were no longer any actual “rewards”.  Giving players the chance to spend real cash on a tank(discounted or not) is NOT a reward.  Many players have never spent a single penny on WoTs and to tell them, “congratulations on completing the mission, please give us some money” is a bit of a fat middle finger.

There was a major missed opportunity with War Stories.  It could’ve been a way to implement Personal Missions with exclusive rewards.

LUCAS BARR #5 Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 44779 battles
  • [GRIND]
and on kennedys war i have an invisible bulldog which would be cool if i could see it myself .

Thrillhelm #6 Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12732 battles
  • [GMAK]

After getting through Kennedy's War to get my final trophy (PS4 version) I got out with a big red number of credits lost, with the only real reward being the trained crew member with sixth sense and a voucher if I want to change the looks of said crew member. The sale offering isn't that appealing for someone who plays the game longer, and you get none of the story tanks for multiplayer (which I quite understand because we'd see Emchas, Berliners etc. in their tiers a lot, like with the Blitzens and Fatherlands).

I really wanted to like the story missions, they had some nice additions. I mean Operation Sea Lion had a fight on the British beach at the end, with a real end boss. This was actually fun. Same with the second mission during Kennedy's War: actual night and the tanks got their lights on, how cool is that? But after the first story the credits got nerved and you end up with little to no XP, you could lose credits easily, especially when you upgrade your story tanks, and there is little appeal to play the story campaign again other than with a friend or to grind out the final trophies.

It really has potential for more, the intro and outro scenes were nice, the maps were great and if unprepared the battles can be quite challenging. But in the end you don't earn much out of it. I don't want to sound disgraceful, but it was a bit disappointing, because there were so many neat ideas. What's left now is four tank commanders you get with raised skills for your multiplayer tanks.

I am still looking forward to new stories. There are so many possibilities, imagine you could play the story from the World of Tanks comic in a Snakebite or as Karl Kraft in the Revenant Panther (but please without the comic filter for the graphics ;) ). Don't let this story idea die out, you just have to improve it a little bit.

aGundamDownHere #7 Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14331 battles

Definitely agree with most of the opinions stated here. The rewards aren't worth the effort, and they aren't varied enough. You could institute daily missions, like in multiplayer, that give specific rewards for WS-exclusive tasks, such as beating missions at various tiers. Since you insist on constantly nerfing the actual XP and silver we earn in the missions, you could at least add something like a x2, x3, or even x4 boost to crew training and make the mode more appealing that way.

Kennedy's War is probably my favorite campaign because of the variety of the maps, especially the night map and seeing the missile launch sites in the final mission, but once I've gone through it once, I don't have any reason to do so again. Challenge Mode especially needs to give out better rewards. It was cool to be able to go through the missions with a different tank at first, but the novelty fades pretty quickly. There's ultimately no actual replay value, because as people have complained time and again (and as you've ignored each and every time), the silver and XP payouts are abysmal. For a new mode that you were so hyped about initially, you're certainly doing everything you can to discourage people from playing it.

Offer more WS-exclusive rewards. Camo, emblems, inscriptions, etc. I'm going to disagree with the others and say I like the fact you offer discounts on premium tanks after completing the story once. I wish you'd expand on it, because those discounts actually bring your overpriced premiums into an acceptable price range. Maybe do something like flash sales where playing through an entire campaign on certain days will create a special discount on some tank or other. That'd be a good way to test whether you make more money selling more tanks at a lower price as opposed to your current mode of selling fewer tanks at a higher price. Because as people have said before, "Dayum, WoT, u spensive."

Be verbose - you have a vocabulary for a reason.

Good with words; bad with tanks. At least I can talk you to death.

Required Reading: https://leadershipfr...-like-a-leader/

Xenith_Inc #8 Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2462 battles

Generally agree with all of this.

I see little replay value other than farming silver. The storyteller ops are so intensive, I mean, 800 games for 5 garage spaces?

It would be great if the garage spaces were a bonus, to playing, but as the major incentive, they're a little weak.

I would love to be able to use the WS tanks in MP. Maybe have a MP unlock package for XP in the WS tank?

panthermark #9 Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5219 battles

WG 

Put some of those maps in the rotation please.

Thanks

jellymonster0 #10 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:46 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13176 battles
  • [M1N9]

View Postpanthermark, on 19 October 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

WG 

Put some of those maps in the rotation please.

Thanks

Definitely 

lKyte #11 Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11447 battles
  • [7F]
War stories is a flaming example of how they go with their own design decision while ignoring the pleas of the community. Nobody likes war stories for anything other than farming silver.

aGundamDownHere #12 Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14331 battles

View PostlKyte, on 21 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

War stories is a flaming example of how they go with their own design decision while ignoring the pleas of the community. Nobody likes war stories for anything other than farming silver.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was originally a really, really big fan of War Stories. It added a new dimension to the game, and it was a good way to break up the monotony of mulitplayer or vent some frustration after a particularly bad match. But then they nerfed the pay out, and then they nerfed it again, and then they nerfed it yet again. So while it does still offer a way to spice things up a little, by decreasing the XP and silver rewards to the extent that they have, it goes from being a fun diversion to a waste of time. Or at the very least, even as you play, you can't help but get the nagging sensation that you really should be doing something more productive with your time.

Be verbose - you have a vocabulary for a reason.

Good with words; bad with tanks. At least I can talk you to death.

Required Reading: https://leadershipfr...-like-a-leader/

Pawel Broda 73 #13 Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21673 battles

100% support.

Third time War Stories income was nerfed.

What is your point Wargaming ?

What are you doing ?

Holly Johnson #14 Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16344 battles
  • [KRAUT]

they don't know. they don't play the game they create.

they make decision relying on their (horrible) marketing crew or an excel sheet

Edited by Holly Johnson, 29 October 2017 - 04:04 PM.

12. Dec 2017

PUBG Xbox One Release

Bye Bye Wargaming!

KcKage88 #15 Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14227 battles
  • [TMPLR]
+1 

Holly Johnson #16 Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16344 battles
  • [KRAUT]

you can see on xbox that only 2,5% of players finished all 4 campaigns

so the "we want to take new players on a tour bla bla" mission was not accomplished

12. Dec 2017

PUBG Xbox One Release

Bye Bye Wargaming!

I44I MustaSurma #17 Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18931 battles
  • [44]

Fully supported here,

It's a shame how bad this game went in all those years, waist in development resources, more and more annoying glitches + and obvious fail nerfs and buffs here and there. 

This is happening when you aren't playing your own game for [edited]sake. 

[44]... Marsch zu neuen Zeitaltern / marching towards a new aeon

hexine #18 Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17301 battles
maybe its to get kids into the game, kids really will play things like that over and over and over again

Pawel Broda 73 #19 Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21673 battles

Please don't nerf again and againg and again the War Stories darn edpirence points and silver.

JelliedPenny08 #20 Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9328 battles

I started off playing it a lot, it was different and cool. I went on platooning through WS with my kids to help them. So I have put in some significant time playing it. I'm on Storyteller 7,8 or 9. However not being able to use many tanks due to the secondary mission restrictions and poor economy drives people away. It doesn't even occur to me to play WS anymore and my kids don't see the point. In fact the kids have started playing Battlefront, Destiny etc instead more and more. I think if they didn't want us to play together they would only go on tanks once a week maybe. So it's only me playing and committed that really draws them in. 

These are the new players that WS was aimed and marketed at. The new players that WG wants to entice and retain. I know that "other things" have been hinted at for the future, which have been based on the building blocks of WS. But it could be working to draw in and retain players now. I would rather see some players spend the next 2k battles in WS than give up the game for good. Those players might still spend money to support the game they enjoy, or build their crews and confidence until they want to try MP again. Or tell their friends. 

To paraphrase the proverb - a player in War Stories, is worth 2 who quit multiplayer for good. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users