Networking tips (looks like I may have solved my lag issues)

lag

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Aelgyn #1 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12127 battles

Posting this in case it may help other players.

I am close to 3 years of WoT now - a few weeks left until I can start displaying the respective emblem.

Over the past year, I started hitting more issues with lag - issues that I did not encounter before. I don't have a super fast connection, but WoT doesn't really require a lot of bandwidth, just a dependable connection. As these issues happened, I initially blamed my console WiFi, then my router, and finally I decided to try a new router. I got one last week and, so far, the issues have been reduced to at most short hiccups. No more full-blown lag in which my tank becomes uncontrollable and keeps moving for seconds after I released the controls. At least, so far.

I suspect two sources for my issues:

- my older router may no longer be able to keep up with the many devices that connect to it

- I may also get too much interference from my neighbours' WiFi signals - there might be an escalation war going on there

My new router has better processing power and uses two bands and can switch channels on the fly, so it can handle both the above issues. It also seems to have better antennas and signal amplifiers, so it improved the strength of the signal across my home.

Hence, my advice to other players that hit lag is to try a different router when diagnosing lag problems. I used the software of my new router to monitor my console's traffic while playing WoT and it was up to 0.02Mbps - not much at all. I also checked the use of the channels and I could see the ones shared with other networks in my vicinity - there's more contention than I expected there.

If anyone has other home networking tips, please share them.

JesterUSMC #2 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12730 battles
  • [BNKR]
Absolutely no lag issues anymore.... After uninstalling WoT.

Semper Fi

Check out The Bunker : http://thebunker.freeforums.net/

Retired from WoTC - 10/27/2013 to 10/27/2017

JaggedSine6 #3 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14369 battles
Nothing beats an Ethernet line if you can run it. However, I learned the hard way that the Xbox 360 will drop packets like crazy if you do not tell it to forget your wifi connection before plugging in an Ethernet cable. Don't know if that's a problem with the One since I never tried wifi on it.
Current garage: T22 Proto, T2 Light Tank, T7 Combat Car, M22 Locust, T37, T21, Lycan, Walker Bulldog, M2 Medium Tank, M4A2E4 Sherman, M4A3E8, T26E4 SuperPershing, M18 Hellcat, Jackson, Pz IV H, Pz.Kpfw V/IV, T-25, VK 30.01 (H), VK 36.01, Tiger I, Hammer, Tiger II, E-75, Jagdpanther, Boilermaker, Cromwell, Excelsior, Challanger, AMX CDC, Liberte, Valentine II, T-34-88, Motherland, KV-1, Churchill III, T-150, IS-3, T-10, SU-76I, STA-2, Type 61. (Green are favorites)

fordg6eturbo #4 Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18534 battles
yeah, I don't use wi-fi for my xbox one, better with ethernet via power line adapters

Sweet Kitty JK #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1038 battles
dont use wifi, get a better new router, get a new modem and mabe a better isp!

Bibo1GerUk #6 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18504 battles

View PostJaggedSine6, on 13 November 2017 - 03:40 AM, said:

Nothing beats an Ethernet line if you can run it. However, I learned the hard way that the Xbox 360 will drop packets like crazy if you do not tell it to forget your wifi connection before plugging in an Ethernet cable. Don't know if that's a problem with the One since I never tried wifi on it.

Doesn't the 360 switch off Wlan automatically when you plug in a LAN cable?

Remember, it's just a game!

test777777 #7 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:35 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4514 battles
Well done, hopefully it's a whole new level of gameplay for you.
Newer technologies have closed the gap somewhat and provide more bandwidth consistency over older devices but they are still higher latency devices. It's not massive but reasonably variable. On a good day, with wireless, you'll find you're around 3ms behind. on a bad day it might blow out to 60ms.  That, for most people on local network is not terribly noticeable. 
 In the whole scheme of things, those values are tolerable if the entire connection, end to end(XBOX to WG servers)  remains consistently less than 300ms. 

JoeDaFrogman #8 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16986 battles

View PostAelgyn, on 12 November 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Posting this in case it may help other players.

I am close to 3 years of WoT now - a few weeks left until I can start displaying the respective emblem.

Over the past year, I started hitting more issues with lag - issues that I did not encounter before. I don't have a super fast connection, but WoT doesn't really require a lot of bandwidth, just a dependable connection. As these issues happened, I initially blamed my console WiFi, then my router, and finally I decided to try a new router. I got one last week and, so far, the issues have been reduced to at most short hiccups. No more full-blown lag in which my tank becomes uncontrollable and keeps moving for seconds after I released the controls. At least, so far.

I suspect two sources for my issues:

- my older router may no longer be able to keep up with the many devices that connect to it

- I may also get too much interference from my neighbours' WiFi signals - there might be an escalation war going on there

My new router has better processing power and uses two bands and can switch channels on the fly, so it can handle both the above issues. It also seems to have better antennas and signal amplifiers, so it improved the strength of the signal across my home.

Hence, my advice to other players that hit lag is to try a different router when diagnosing lag problems. I used the software of my new router to monitor my console's traffic while playing WoT and it was up to 0.02Mbps - not much at all. I also checked the use of the channels and I could see the ones shared with other networks in my vicinity - there's more contention than I expected there.

If anyone has other home networking tips, please share them.

Ditch wifi completely.   Don't use it, at all.  Do whatever you can to be physically plugged into your router unless there is no other option allowed (such as when you don't own the access point such as one provided by an apartment complex and you can't get a hard line connection installed)

if for some reason, you have to use wifi, always use the 5 network unless you are out in the middle of nowhere(in which case, why can't you use a physical wire instead????)   In a neghborhood, the 2.4 network only has AT MOST 14 bands and in some cases only 11(depending on country) and finding one which is free is hard.   The 5 network has several dozen bands which makes it more likely that you can find one free.

As above, use Wifi Analyzer or some other such phone app to determine the BEST network band you can get onto.  Check this FREQUENTLY as when people move in/out of nearby houses or upgrade their equipment, they might change bands(on purpose or by defaults).   

Turn wifi off on crap which does not need wifi on 24/7.    Less traffic means better connection.

Seriously thought, use a damned wire.. just do it.   move your xbox into the room with the router if that's what you need to do... run a wire through a hall way, whatever is required, just use the wire.

JaggedSine6 #9 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14369 battles

View PostBibo1GerUk, on 12 November 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

It does. But there was some strange bug with mine that cleared up by going back to wifi, deleting my remembered connection and then plugging the cable back in. Can't say if every 360 has this problem.

Current garage: T22 Proto, T2 Light Tank, T7 Combat Car, M22 Locust, T37, T21, Lycan, Walker Bulldog, M2 Medium Tank, M4A2E4 Sherman, M4A3E8, T26E4 SuperPershing, M18 Hellcat, Jackson, Pz IV H, Pz.Kpfw V/IV, T-25, VK 30.01 (H), VK 36.01, Tiger I, Hammer, Tiger II, E-75, Jagdpanther, Boilermaker, Cromwell, Excelsior, Challanger, AMX CDC, Liberte, Valentine II, T-34-88, Motherland, KV-1, Churchill III, T-150, IS-3, T-10, SU-76I, STA-2, Type 61. (Green are favorites)

KilledByPing #10 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7067 battles
Wait, what ? You were playing on line game using Wi-Fi ? Da hell is wrong with you ?

Beta582 #11 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16891 battles
  • [TANK]

If you are having issues with lag my first suggestions to try would be:

1: Use a wired connection. This will greatly reduce interference from external sources and provide a much more stable connection. I would advise Cat5E or Cat6 cabling personally.

2: Reset your router and modem. This will help clear out networking issues causing dropped packets and slowed speeds.

3: Hard restart the console. This will also help clear out networking issues.

If the above steps do not work:

1: Upgrade your modem/router to a newer one as the hardware will be more reliable and will support greater bandwidth.

2: In your console settings, manually set your preferred DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. These are Googles public DNS servers and I find are often better than some ISPs DNS servers (I know they are better than Charters and usually Googles myself).

3: Tweak your router settings to maximize bandwidth. I would advise against this step unless you have networking experience or have someone with networking experience perform this step on your behalf.

Qualifications for the above recommendations: I work Desktop Support for the State of Wisconsin and have a degree in Systems Administration.

Spoiler

Beta582's Guide to Everything (Updated 09-18-2017)

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a dinner party, "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" Winston replied, "Madam if I were your husband I would drink it!"

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/beta582                         Youtube Channel: Beta582

giaka #12 Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 36860 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostBibo1GerUk, on 12 November 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Yes it just disconnects from XBOX Live. You reconnect and all is fine. I have never removed wifi settings from a 360 or One that I have hard wired.

Actually my whole house is hard wired now with a 1GB switch. Its the best move I have ever made. two or three folks can be watching Streamed TV, Netflix or Amazon and two WOT games can run simultaneously without any issues at all.

Edited by giaka, 13 November 2017 - 06:45 PM.

Vasco8407 #13 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7486 battles

View Postgiaka, on 13 November 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Yes it just disconnects from XBOX Live. You reconnect and all is fine. I have never removed wifi settings from a 360 or One that I have hard wired.

Actually my whole house is hard wired now with a 1GB switch. Its the best move I have ever made. two or three folks can be watching Streamed TV, Netflix or Amazon and two WOT games can run simultaneously without any issues at all.

This. Run 24 lines shortly after I bought the house earlier this year. Cheap if you do it yourself. Run 2 X1s and 2 streaming (one 4k one HD) tv's without issue. 

Aelgyn #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12127 battles

View PostKilledByPing, on 13 November 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Wait, what ? You were playing on line game using Wi-Fi ?

I can top that. Can you believe that I also used to play online games on dial-up a couple of decades ago? :)

BigHundy #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:18 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 4714 battles
  • [HQ]

View PostKilledByPing, on 13 November 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Wait, what ? You were playing on line game using Wi-Fi ? Da hell is wrong with you ?

I do. Google mesh network has been working well for me.

i get the odd lag spike but it’s nothing serious.

98% of system problems are user related.

Pit Friend #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26021 battles
  • [PTATO]
One thing I can also suggest if you absolutely must play on wi-fi is to purchase a wi-fi range extender with plug-in Ethernet capability. I have one made by Netgear because the room I have my Xbox in is far from and one floor below my router. I am getting the maximum throughout speed my ISP allows (65Mbs down 5Mbs up) and it saved me from having to run 100+ feet of cable through my walls. :) 

I hope to one day be wealthy enough to be considered eccentric rather than just plain nuts.  

Vasco8407 #17 Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:16 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7486 battles

View PostAelgyn, on 13 November 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I can top that. Can you believe that I also used to play online games on dial-up a couple of decades ago? :)

​Command and Conquer on 24.4k ftw. One match would take 3-6 hours. lol

Spookyrobbie #18 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 10794 battles
  • [T-R-U]

Speaking from experience where u see your tank yoloing in front of the enemy or coming 5th bottom being AFK for the whole match.   No idea how lol but was becoming a wee bit frustrated with the LAG.   Not saying this is a solution but it has seemed so far to work for me.    BTW have BT fibre 37 gb download and when testing has 0 packet loss and 40 MS latency.   

1. Simply uninstall the game and then reinstall it. 

2. Bounce the Router and Xbox alike.

3. Go to local super market and pick up a Lan cable for a tenner putting it in your Xbox and router.

This should hopefully alleviate the lag .  So far in doing so it has reduced it significantly although I would still argue that WG need to load balance better or make more CIs available during peek times.

TocFanKe4 #19 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16828 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I use a wired connection from the Xbox to the built in cable modem router. I also use a SSD for tanks. Both together I get barely any lag unless there are Xbox live issues.

The "Naitcha Tanka" TocFanKe4

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4 Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

No Not Yet Baby #20 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 17598 battles

TP-Link PA7010 Kit 1GB Ethernet Range Extender

"The TL-PA7010KIT enables you to transport your Router connection from one adapter to the other plugged in anywhere around the home. Simply connect a powerline adapter to the router, plug another powerline adapter into a wall socket in another room, and connect it to your Internet enabled device via Ethernet and you're done. 

The gigabit ethernet port, tl-pa7010 kit allows users to connect a bandwidth intensive device to the internet at high speeds and ensures the smooth transmission of ultra hd video streaming. This makes the tl-pa7010 kit the perfect home entertainment companion.
Transfer speed up to 1000Mbps.
Powerline security 128-bit aes wireless security.
Weight 0.5kg.
Size L9.8, W6, D3.6cm.
Manufacturer's 3 year limited hardware guarantee
."

It costs 50 euros, it's the easiest solution to all the problems. If you have more devices to connect just buy a 5 port small switch.

When man invented consoles, even monkeys began to scratch their heads.                      
Bad maps and teams generate bad play and create idiots even from good people.
The nasty truth about this game starts with the people who try to hide it!

This forum is a direct reflection of the quality of the product concerned.

Also tagged with lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users