• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

DerailedWingnut #21 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:22 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19467 battles
  • [WLPK]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

New (and old)  players thought that detected was telling them when they were detected. If you've been around the forums awhile, you probably notice one of the most common things is, "I was shot but I wasn't even detected". The majority of players had no idea what it was alerting them to. I personally answered hundreds of threads about it and having to explain how it worked. 

Using it to know when artillery was aiming at you is a very situational thing and not something a new player would know how to do. They've lost nothing but gain a useful tool to give them better situational awareness and hopefully makes for a better teammate in battle. :great:

The problem with that is that the new players lost nothing, while the skilled players lost a useful tool.

Check out The Bunker: HTTPS://TheBunker.FreeForums.Net

Mastery 99% Mastery 95 % Mastery 80% Mastery 50% All Nation Tanks Elite Italics = Grinding * = Mark Of Excellence

Hex Arcana #22 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:23 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 28551 battles
  • [RTA]

View PostSadriel Fett, on 07 December 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

I agree with you, there.  It definitely feels like it dumbed down the game a little.  I can see why newer player will like it, though.  Before, the "Detected" mechanics were more useful for veteran players that knew how to use it to their advantage, especially when Arty was still at play in a match.  

They don't care about veteran players who bothered to learn the mechanics anymore, they make decisions via Facebook Spud committee now. 

Mr Crowley ll #23 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18863 battles
  • [CRPT]

View PostDrHorrible4Life, on 06 December 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

We've been asking for changes to the stale meta for AGES.  Easiums and TDs.  Now we're talking about arty and SCOUTS.  Now we're talking about places on maps you should not go based on the team composition instead of a good hulldown spot you always go to in you t54.  Now we're talking about assuming you're vulnerable if you're spotted, and ALWAYS knowing when you're spotted.

It isn't a buff to arty.  It is balanced by the fact that no other class of tanks actively suffer from an influx of scout drivers.   Arty does, because inexperienced light tank drivers like to yolo balls deep into the enemies.  

It is just a nerf to players who heavily relied on that mechanic.  It is also a buff to new players, inexperienced or uninformed existing and returning players by always telling them when they're spotted. 

I'm ok with the fact that alot of you feel strongly the other way.  Feel free to dispute any part of what I posted.  In the end, I still win because I really like this change.

New players are going to last very long after they keep getting nuked with no warning. Veteran players have just been given another reason to leave the game.  Combined the player base drops and the game's death arrives faster.  You lose. 

DrHorrible4Life #24 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:29 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9300 battles

View PostDerailedWingnut, on 07 December 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

The problem with that is that the new players lost nothing, while the skilled players lost a useful tool.

​That is NOT a problem.  Thanks again.

DrHorrible4Life #25 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9300 battles

View PostMr Crowley ll, on 07 December 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

New players are going to last very long after they keep getting nuked with no warning. Veteran players have just been given another reason to leave the game.  Combined the player base drops and the game's death arrives faster.  You lose. 

​Because new players KNEW that detected had any interaction with artillery?  How is that again?

TheDeadTANKer #26 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21299 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

New (and old)  players thought that detected was telling them when they were detected. If you've been around the forums awhile, you probably notice one of the most common things is, "I was shot but I wasn't even detected". The majority of players had no idea what it was alerting them to. I personally answered hundreds of threads about it and having to explain how it worked. 

Using it to know when artillery was aiming at you is a very situational thing and not something a new player would know how to do. They've lost nothing but gain a useful tool to give them better situational awareness and hopefully makes for a better teammate in battle. :great:

How does not knowing when you're being targeted by arty give players better "situational awareness" 

giaka #27 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 37786 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostTheDeadTANKer, on 06 December 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

How does not knowing when you're being targeted by arty give players better "situational awareness" 

It doesn't, this change makes for worse situational awareness. Its odd how people dont understand that. 

SchnauzahPowah #28 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1748 battles

Sounds like a good time to take up some artillery lines

:trollface:

I'm more of a * loaded-baked-potato *

Mr Crowley ll #29 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18863 battles
  • [CRPT]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Equally campers will always camp.   Now being nuked by Arty with zero warning will not change their behavior and make them stop camping.  It's going to further frustrate players and drive them away.  

Sincerely,

Someone who has defended WG at length over many issues. 

SpartanFire71 #30 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20114 battles
  • [-NB-]
DrHorrible4Life, I'm not understanding your op.  Are you happy with this new mechanic? If so, why and how does it help you grind and improve.  I see it like many others.  It's a poor decision to not have detected show when arty is aiming at you.  I've used cover and movement many times to attempt to avoid arty as I suspected it was aiming at me based on the cover.  I don't understand how that is an exploitation.  There are many tanks that really can't afford to trade shots with the tanks they have line of sight on less arty, so it's best to use spotting ability to get the shot then retreat to cover.  

I spam scout tanks with the desire of balancing the bully tanks.

Dark Purple on the horizon, then.....the world is mine with Stewie packing his ray gun.  

MaxChaos24 #31 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:36 AM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 10896 battles

View PostTheDeadTANKer, on 06 December 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Players did not know it was telling them that. It was covered in the first paragraph. Players thought it told them when they were detected, not being targeted, while spotted, while your gun is pointed in the direction of the enemy player that is looking at you. 

It was a confusing mechanic that the majority of players did not understand and was replaced with a more useful system that benefits all players equally. This is a good thing to improve the game for all players. :great:

DrHorrible4Life #32 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:36 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9300 battles

View PostTheDeadTANKer, on 07 December 2017 - 02:31 AM, said:

​By always knowing when you are spotted, you can then use your awareness of where arty is (through the actual shells that are visible in the sky) to, like, play good.  You'll see, this is how most people thought it worked to begin with.  There are a few different ways to know where they are, but I won't spoil the ending.

Mr Crowley ll #33 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18863 battles
  • [CRPT]

View PostDrHorrible4Life, on 06 December 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

​Because new players KNEW that detected had any interaction with artillery?  How is that again?

targeted without being detected, followed by an arty round is all it takes to know what is happening.   Now with replay capability folks can figure it out faster. 

DrHorrible4Life #34 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9300 battles

View PostSchnauzahPowah, on 07 December 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Sounds like a good time to take up some artillery lines

:trollface:

​Go play arty and PLEASE come show us the clips of you wrecking face, or burning 2 minutes in.  Would definitely make me admit I was wrong.

Mr Crowley ll #35 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18863 battles
  • [CRPT]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Players did not know it was telling them that. It was covered in the first paragraph. Players thought it told them when they were detected, not being targeted, while spotted, while your gun is pointed in the direction of the enemy player that is looking at you. 

It was a confusing mechanic that the majority of players did not understand and was replaced with a more useful system that benefits all players equally. This is a good thing to improve the game for all players. :great:

except for the Arty part

test777777 #36 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:45 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5178 battles

I can't get in to the game - issue is with my ISP errr actually it really is my ISPs fault.

I'm trying to understand the change.

Previously, 6th sense would go off if I was in someone's gunsights. No idea if it worked for Arty but I used to get a "watch out you are being targeted by enemy artillery" audible alert, which might have me rethinking the safest route. But I tended to have a reasonable indication of where Arty could be. I was never really picked on by Arty though, or at least, never felt the sting of arty - I guess super heavy spall liners and innacurate firing helped a bit if they did start dropping glib pressies from the heavens. Worst was the being tracked and stuck and repeatedly hit over and over and over again. I never felt Arty was OP though and no where near as devastating as hidden TDs to me.

Understanding the alert mechanic further.  

Will there also be no detected or 6th sense warnings with Arty targeting or are they now just generic alerts suggesting something has me in their sights? ie could be arty, could be a scout tank or do the alerts no longer require the enemy to even have me in their sights as well, its just a generic detected alert when I show up as a red blip on the enemies map?.

SpartanFire71 #37 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20114 battles
  • [-NB-]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

I am not understanding the more useful system.  This is the reason for the reply.  From what I read, there is no indication that arty has you in its sights.  Is this true?  If so, what is the new system that indicates you are being aimed at by arty?  If the old system was confusing, could an explanation of detected not have cleared it up by saying detected means your tank is being targeted by another tank within view range or targeted by arty?  

I spam scout tanks with the desire of balancing the bully tanks.

Dark Purple on the horizon, then.....the world is mine with Stewie packing his ray gun.  

HEAT--54 #38 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:52 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6534 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

Or, you could have just made a good concise explanation on one of the loading screens on what Detected! is.  You could even note the difference between spotted and sixth sense with a tip on how to use Detected! to foil arty.  

You make enough posts explaining mechanics on here, I am confident you could have done that screen yourself.

I used detected! for arty pretty frequently. I think it is pretty obvious a lot of others do too.

DrHorrible4Life #39 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:53 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9300 battles

Fun experiment:  post some clips of you doing better in artillery because of the new detected overhaul. 

Make sure to comment on how you only nuked that guy because he was one of the 5% who played this game that previously knew how the detected system worked but is suddenly complacent enough to IGNORE !TARGETED.  Post those clips and I'll pay the non-monetary forfeit of your choosing.

TocFanKe4 #40 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:53 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17058 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

I don't know. It just seems like it's going to be worse for noobs if Arty isn't included. We still have the unnerfed Arty compared to PC, last I heard. I just feel like with the light changes and loss of Arty detection, Arty is going to impact things a lot more. That's bound to cause more frustration

When I look back upon my capping, it's always with a sense of shame - Pet Shop Toc

I stream inconsistently and often with beer : https://www.twitch.tv/tocfanke4 Stream contains language that is inappropes. 

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users