war stories nintendo hard

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Pun Times #1 Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3472 battles
  • [PUNS]

I sat down to play the newest War Story today. I started at 9am and it's now 5 pm. The first two chapters went like clockwork, but the last chapter gave me a lot of trouble. Enough trouble that I went to previous war stories with the Tigre to grind enough exp to get the top 88. And yet, even with this top gun, the battle has taken me 8 hours and dozens of attempts and it simply cannot be completed. (Yes, I'm certain SOMEONE has completed it, but I'm a mere mortal, not a god.) 

The battle begins innocently enough in the southwest corner of the map. You meet a couple of light tanks and take them out easily, possibly without even taking damage. At this point you can proceed up the west side, the east side, or the middle. If you proceed up the east side, you encounter no further resistance until you come up behind the allies and engage enemies in the town. If you come up the middle you encounter 1 or 2 enemies on the way to the town before driving right into the middle of a large firefight. If you drive up the west side, you can spot the enemies heading to the town and take potshots at them from outside their visual range. They eventually move on to the town proper, but you can weaken them significantly if you're accurate. 

Once you arrive at the town from one of these 3 points you have to mop up the enemies alongside allied resistance. Upon defeating the last of these, you are told to go to a specific position, at which point the next wave of enemies spawn in the west and make their way toward town. This is supposed to be the epic climax, where you help win the battle of El Alamein with your powerful Tiger tank. There's enemy artillery, and a bunch of targets and you're supposed to help your team polish off the enemy. Here's the problem I'm having:

At the start of the battle, if you go up the east side to save your tank's HP before heading into the town to wipe out the first wave, the enemy utterly DECIMATES the rest of your team, leaving you and possibly 1 or 2 artillery to defeat 8-10 enemy tanks plus artillery support.

If you head up the middle, you arrive in time to sway the battle but usually take a large amount of damage in the process, since you don't come into the battle with any meaningful cover to use. There is a repair kit along this route, but unfortunately that doesn't fix all the modules you lose.

If you go up the west side, (the tactically sound choice,) you manage to wipe the enemy out with minimal casualties to both your HP/modules and your allied team. The problem with this approach is that it glitches the battle and you no longer get a prompt to go to a specific position and continue the fight. You just sit there in the town until time runs down and you lose.

In either of the two non glitch approaches, after you clear out the first wave, you're expected to fight off 8+ tanks with artillery support (and not some piddly Wespe or Bison but a [edited]G.W TIGER) with half as many allies and/or severely reduced stats. Nevermind the fact that a lot of these tanks are equal tier to you and the Tiger's armor isn't bouncy like a lot of others. Coupled with the fact that getting to the repair kit requires driving straight into the line of fire for about 8 tank lengths and I don't see how Wargaming ever expected anyone to get this done. Doing this with the Tigre IS the challenge mode!

And before the internet trolls even get started, if you were able to beat this level with your 31t3 H4xx0rz 5ki11s, I don't want to hear it. Advice, yes. Bragging, no.

Crazedtiger77 #2 Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10721 battles
I went west and had no glitch, just try again maybe?

mark197205 #3 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 29647 battles
The way I did it was to not stay at the point it tells you to defend from, I backed off to a point where I had at least some cover, oh and before I triggered the final wave I destroyed as many buildings in and around the cap circle as possible to give the enemy no cover at all to hide behind.

Currently playing with - T1E6-X (M), M22 Locust (M), Ram II (M), T23 (M), T14 (M), LOLTraktor (M), T-25 (M), Pz V/IV (M), T-127 (M), Matilda (M), Lowe (M), JagdTiger 8.8cm (M), Luchs (M), Churchill III (M), Pz 38H (M), Chi Nu-Kai (M), T-34-88 (M), KV-220 (M), Pz.I.C (M), FCM36 PaK40 (M), 105 leFH18B2, Type 64 (M), Excelsior (M), FV215b (183), BT-SV (M), AufklarungsPanther (M), VK45.02 (P) Ausf. B (M), Maus, E-100, JagdTiger (M), JgPzE-100, Centurion 7/1 (M), Conqueror (M), E-75(M).
Currently grinding - GW Tiger, E-50,  IS-3 (M),  Rhm-Borsig Waffentrager (M), T30 , T95, T-43,  KV-3 (M), Chi-Ri (M), ISU-152, SU-101, FV207, A-44, AMX ELC Bis (M), T71 (M), T37 (M).

Tanks with Marks of Excellence - AufklarungsPanther (2), Chi Nu (1), VK45.02 Ausf. B (1), SU-100M1 (1), Type 64 (1), VK45.02 Ausf A (1), T-34/85 (3), A-43 (1), Conqueror (1), Churchill III (1), GW Tiger (P) (2), Chi Nu Kai (1), Excelsior (2), T-25 (1), Chi-To (1), KV-220 (1), IS (1), Pz. V/IV (1), Type T-34 (3), JagdTiger (1), IndienPanzer (2), Rhm. Borsig (1), KV-3 (2), E-50 (1), M24 Chaffee (3), IS-3 (1), IS-8 (1), SU-101 (1), AMX ELC Bis (2), T21 (3), Jagdtiger 8.8cm (1), E-75 (1), Chi-Ri (1), T-43 (1), T-34-88 (1), T37 (1), Type 58 (3), MT-25 (3).
Most recent.

Big Yeash #4 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20984 battles
  • [BNKR]

With the stock package, I yolo'd towards the town and shot into the sides of the enemies to the west, while they were engaged with the allies.

I hung back, because I thought the whole "hope you're not mistaken for the enemy" thing meant I might actually be targeted by both sides.

Cleared out that flank, went to the east side of the village where the waypoint said to, then pushed further east onto a plateau. Saw reds coming from the west again, sniped from long range.

Cleared them out, pushed all the way back to the cap zone unopposed, and capped out the evac point before I realised there were still five reds to kill when they blundered into view range after already getting the victory notice.

Haven't played it since.

Favourite marks earned: Centurion 7/1**, Conqueror** - T-44**, ISU-152** - E-75**, Ferdinand**, Champion/M10 **, WT auf PZ. IV** AMX ELC bis***, AMX 13 75***, AMX 13 90**

If you see me performing really badly on the EU server, it's because I've got three kittens fighting for my attention. I'm really sorry.

Corporal Derpy #5 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19355 battles
  • [KMD]

A GwTiger?

I just had to deal with a Gw Panther that never once fired a shot at either me or the Black Prince.

Garage : 

'Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of morons who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.'

'The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. The players aren't really doing anything, something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

Papax 2112 #6 Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 40864 battles
  • [BNKR]

I loaded 2 repair kits to make up for lost modules and 50 APCR . Sure I lost silver , but I got done in two trips.  

I think the glitch is a Hiding red . I've went left , right and center . Without a problem . I did on 2 occasions have to find a hiding tank . 

Edited by Papax 2112, 08 December 2017 - 12:04 AM.

JelliedPenny08 #7 Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:13 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9428 battles

I followed the road to the East around the map. Cut left up onto the railway tracks just before the bridge. Engage the reds from a distance to conserve HP and I was using the stock package to keep up rate of fire. Tag individual reds for fire, not map squares or the green bots move close up and get wiped out. If you can track the reds coming over the ridge before they can shoot the greens that is good. Then tag them for fire. 

Push up along the tracks and use the health restore to the left. Don't destroy the buildings except to give you clear access as they shield you if you need to get back there to survive. If you can push to the ridge to spot reds on the other side and use the slope and rocks to shield you then arty can help. I also moved from the point you defend. If you can slow the red advance and focus green fire on one at a time, then it becomes more manageable. 

If you need a fall back point for a last stand, think of having it at or near the health regen. If you have silver for consumables I think a small repair to save your ammo rack and a small med kit for your driver (I seemed to lose him when they push from 2 directions and I was protecting my ammo rack) are useful. If you have silver for equipment a toolbox will help fix tracks to save repair kits for the ammo rack. With silver to burn on equipment maybe think vents and rammer to cut down reload time - but it is a long term waste of silver unless you will play the Tigre a lot. Consumables and Toolbox can be removed to use on other tanks. I used a French crew with Brothers in Arms perk fully trained (part trained doesn't work). Angle your hull. 

I hope it helps. I'm not a good player, but that was how I did it.  :)

Comrade Klakov #8 Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15851 battles

Now I see this as how a forum should work. A player who has worked long and hard to win a battle, satisfy an op, etc. and he's hit a brick wall.

Then alot of tankers offer up their tactics and techniques for their success. ( I especially like the demolish as many bldg's as possible approach. Unorthodox but apparently effective.) A variety of winning solutions are offered without ridicule and insult. I like that and that's the main reason I like to read forums is to find different ways to learn the game, the tanks, the tactics, etc.

Good job to all. OP I hope there's a recipe for your success somewhere in there. Good luck.

xSendUDESx #9 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15706 battles
  • [47R]

View PostComrade Klakov, on 08 December 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

Now I see this as how a forum should work. A player who has worked long and hard to win a battle, satisfy an op, etc. and he's hit a brick wall.

Then alot of tankers offer up their tactics and techniques for their success. ( I especially like the demolish as many bldg's as possible approach. Unorthodox but apparently effective.) A variety of winning solutions are offered without ridicule and insult. I like that and that's the main reason I like to read forums is to find different ways to learn the game, the tanks, the tactics, etc.

Good job to all. OP I hope there's a recipe for your success somewhere in there. Good luck.

something has obviously gone awry, let me rectify.....

ur a skreb, git gud lulz. 

Papax 2112 #10 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 40864 battles
  • [BNKR]
Got really quiet really fast whnen the warm fuzzies came out........:P

WG Volibear #11 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

QA Analyst

• WG Staff
  • 78 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostPun Times, on 07 December 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

I sat down to play the newest War Story today. I started at 9am and it's now 5 pm. The first two chapters went like clockwork, but the last chapter gave me a lot of trouble. Enough trouble that I went to previous war stories with the Tigre to grind enough exp to get the top 88. And yet, even with this top gun, the battle has taken me 8 hours and dozens of attempts and it simply cannot be completed. (Yes, I'm certain SOMEONE has completed it, but I'm a mere mortal, not a god.) 

The battle begins innocently enough in the southwest corner of the map. You meet a couple of light tanks and take them out easily, possibly without even taking damage. At this point you can proceed up the west side, the east side, or the middle. If you proceed up the east side, you encounter no further resistance until you come up behind the allies and engage enemies in the town. If you come up the middle you encounter 1 or 2 enemies on the way to the town before driving right into the middle of a large firefight. If you drive up the west side, you can spot the enemies heading to the town and take potshots at them from outside their visual range. They eventually move on to the town proper, but you can weaken them significantly if you're accurate. 

Once you arrive at the town from one of these 3 points you have to mop up the enemies alongside allied resistance. Upon defeating the last of these, you are told to go to a specific position, at which point the next wave of enemies spawn in the west and make their way toward town. This is supposed to be the epic climax, where you help win the battle of El Alamein with your powerful Tiger tank. There's enemy artillery, and a bunch of targets and you're supposed to help your team polish off the enemy. Here's the problem I'm having:

At the start of the battle, if you go up the east side to save your tank's HP before heading into the town to wipe out the first wave, the enemy utterly DECIMATES the rest of your team, leaving you and possibly 1 or 2 artillery to defeat 8-10 enemy tanks plus artillery support.

If you head up the middle, you arrive in time to sway the battle but usually take a large amount of damage in the process, since you don't come into the battle with any meaningful cover to use. There is a repair kit along this route, but unfortunately that doesn't fix all the modules you lose.

If you go up the west side, (the tactically sound choice,) you manage to wipe the enemy out with minimal casualties to both your HP/modules and your allied team. The problem with this approach is that it glitches the battle and you no longer get a prompt to go to a specific position and continue the fight. You just sit there in the town until time runs down and you lose.

In either of the two non glitch approaches, after you clear out the first wave, you're expected to fight off 8+ tanks with artillery support (and not some piddly Wespe or Bison but a [edited]G.W TIGER) with half as many allies and/or severely reduced stats. Nevermind the fact that a lot of these tanks are equal tier to you and the Tiger's armor isn't bouncy like a lot of others. Coupled with the fact that getting to the repair kit requires driving straight into the line of fire for about 8 tank lengths and I don't see how Wargaming ever expected anyone to get this done. Doing this with the Tigre IS the challenge mode!

And before the internet trolls even get started, if you were able to beat this level with your 31t3 H4xx0rz 5ki11s, I don't want to hear it. Advice, yes. Bragging, no.

If you have a friend that is willing to run through it with you that would be your best bet to beat it.

I'm sure someone from the forums would be willing to team up with you too.

Take a look at our new bug report guidelines!

WoT Reddit---> 

Need to submit a support ticket? Click Here!

JelliedPenny08 #12 Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9428 battles

I just tried it again to check. There is a high altitude (lighter colour on map) rocky plateau that you can approach from the south east. From the top you can view over the town and also use the ridge (with gun depression) and the rocks for cover. It gave a good field of fire out to the ridge the reds attack from and was a quick downhill scuttle to the health regen point. If the second wave pushes to you, tag them for fire, track them and hold them off as best you can. Then back over the ridge slightly so you can track them and destroy them as they come over to get you. 

Dash for the regen between waves. 

:)

cinco de rojo #13 Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13959 battles

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 08 December 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

There is a high altitude (lighter colour on map) rocky plateau that you can approach from the south east. From the top you can view over the town and also use the ridge (with gun depression) and the rocks . . . tag them for fire, track them and hold them off . . . 

I finally completed this mission.  Had only myself and the three arties in the last wave.  Used the plateau as noted above and tagged reds for artie fire.  There were 2 reds left when I made it to the extraction point.  Got the Boss though! 

Trees Cut:  30k

My stats may not look as great as others.  Spent the first 6k battles just trying to get the daily 2 XP bonus.  Then someone on the forum gave me advice.  Slowing improving.   Willing to learn.  My Stats: http://wotinfo.net/en/efficiency?server=XBOX&playername=cinco+de+rojo

JelliedPenny08 #14 Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9428 battles

View Postcinco de rojo, on 08 December 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

I finally completed this mission.  Had only myself and the three arties in the last wave.  Used the plateau as noted above and tagged reds for artie fire.  There were 2 reds left when I made it to the extraction point.  Got the Boss though! 

Well done, glad it helped!  :)

Don't forget the discounted CKV1 is only in store for 24hrs afterwards. I recommend it as a fun dual nation trainer if you have the 1280 gold. I went up the road to the right (North) of the ridge the reds come over to kill the last couple of reds there. There are rocks at the edge of the ridge for cover. 

For anyone struggling to find it, go up the ramp in F8 (SE -> NW) and battle from the plateau on E8. Battle the first wave from there then drop down to the health and ammo points avoiding the green marker that says "Defend from this position" until restocked and on your way back. When you drive through it it triggers the second wave including the boss. 

Good luck and happy tanking!  :)

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 09 December 2017 - 02:05 AM.

Big Yeash #15 Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20984 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostJelliedPenny08, on 08 December 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

I just tried it again to check. There is a high altitude (lighter colour on map) rocky plateau that you can approach from the south east. From the top you can view over the town and also use the ridge (with gun depression) and the rocks for cover. It gave a good field of fire out to the ridge the reds attack from and was a quick downhill scuttle to the health regen point. If the second wave pushes to you, tag them for fire, track them and hold them off as best you can. Then back over the ridge slightly so you can track them and destroy them as they come over to get you. 

Dash for the regen between waves. 

South east of the village? This sounds like the place I blundered into. I basically cheesed the AI, but hey it worked.

Favourite marks earned: Centurion 7/1**, Conqueror** - T-44**, ISU-152** - E-75**, Ferdinand**, Champion/M10 **, WT auf PZ. IV** AMX ELC bis***, AMX 13 75***, AMX 13 90**

If you see me performing really badly on the EU server, it's because I've got three kittens fighting for my attention. I'm really sorry.

JelliedPenny08 #16 Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9428 battles

View PostBig Yeash, on 09 December 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

South east of the village? This sounds like the place I blundered into. I basically cheesed the AI, but hey it worked.

Yep, that's the one, it seems to work well. Good job finding it. I also kind of found it by accident, checking over the map for a strategic location, as I always also worried about being targeted by both reds and greens. I wanted terrain to be able to back out with cover if it all went wrong. 

I should probably try it different ways and different approaches to the map to see if there is a better way. I didn't really explore the western side of the map, although it sounds like that may be a bit bugged. For giggles I retried it with Heavy Tank 6 in challenge mode to double check the map grids, it was good fun. 

SprungNickel427 #17 Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21187 battles
  • [UMFF5]

The First Wave I approached from the SW behind the Reds as they pile into the cap Circle. You have to deal with 2 stragglers after the 2 light tanks, then the second wave where you start in a small green circle SE of the flag, I left that spot pronto, and went to the NW of the town. The reds drive right by you and ignore you until they get in the cap circle, so you have rear shots on them as they drive towards the cap circle. Also use the command circle to call targets for your arty and try to track your reds so Arty can hit them reliably.

In the second wave, if you go northwest of the city, there is a low ground that gets you hull down if you need it. I carried 2 small repair kits, played none upgrade 75mm with gun rammer. RoF was key to knocking down buildings and track your reds. 88mm pens but that's not the issue. it's tracking and command calls to target a tank that won me the 4th attempt. 

Demolishing buildings in the cap circle and then restoring your health and ammo before going in the small green circle is good advice. The Reds go for the cap circle and fight from within the cap circle. 

sulla1111 #18 Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12164 battles
  • [WEZEL]
Yup, this is a wierd battle. The enemy arty is so powerful and the tigre is so prone to module damage that you cant really fight. You have to light targets for the arty and reset the cap. I wonder if it would be worth demolishing the whole town before the second wave. Your friendly tanks are going to get killed instantly anyway so this will at least let your arty hit targets easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users