How Strong Is The Correlation Between Competitive Players & Dissatisfaction

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

pr0fit0fcanabis #1 Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32516 battles
It is my perception that competitie players are among the most dissatisfied players.  This thread is not about whether they are right or wrong to be dissatisfied.  It's more an attempt to see how many players that are not in the competition scene are equally dissatisfied.  Is my perception right? "Debate it" ( trademarked by fusionstar. )

ATHFjman18 #2 Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10892 battles

I’d say there probably is some correlation.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t care about winning and performing well. Youll see someone with just abysmal stats, but having a blast and contribute nothing while I’m tearing my hair out trying to get the win. 

Perhaps ignorance is bliss...

No Not Yet Baby #3 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:08 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17620 battles

Zero!

At some stage of playing, the ability to understand the game and then use it. Criticism results from the ability to use the brain, and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain, and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain...

Summarizing; tolerating stupidity is a painful experience, forcing to tolerate it is foolishness. And that's how we have WoTC and this forum.

If you play against the best, you learn the most difficult elements of the game, if you play against arrogant and empty shells, you lie to yourself that you are good.

This forum is a direct reflection of the quality of the product - WoT

W 4 L K U R E #4 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:14 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24483 battles
  • [TRB]

If I'm decidedly pretty good, this means the game is decidedly pretty bad? Is that what you mean?

​My FV215b Review is here: 

​WOTC 2017- The emperor has no clothes!

Pontiac Pat #5 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

Major

• WCL
  • 18406 battles
  • [47R]
It's a curse that goes along with excellence in any field.  If that excellence is not accompanied by humility and empathy the person will tend towards being overly critical of the majority who can't keep up with them.  It's true in all of life's endeavors, not just WoT.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Marks of Excellence thresholds - http://damagestandings.com

pr0fit0fcanabis #6 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32516 battles

View PostW 4 L K U R E, on 08 December 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

If I'm decidedly pretty good, this means the game is decidedly pretty bad? Is that what you mean?

No.  In this thread I am curious as to the correlation between players who play in tournaments and dissatisfaction with the game.  I am not interested in whether your wn8 is correlated with dissatisfaction.  

pr0fit0fcanabis #7 Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32516 battles

View PostPontiac Pat, on 08 December 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

It's a curse that goes along with excellence in any field.  If that excellence is not accompanied by humility and empathy the person will tend towards being overly critical of the majority who can't keep up with them.  It's true in all of life's endeavors, not just WoT.

There is truth in that.  It's also hard to wait as long as the compeitive tankers have and yet it's not quite right.  

pepelefrogg #8 Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31625 battles
  • [WOTCS]

View PostNo Not Yet Baby, on 08 December 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

Zero!

At some stage of playing, the ability to understand the game and then use it. Criticism results from the ability to use the brain, and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain, and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain,and immediately after that there is the ability to understand the game, and then use it and it results from the ability to use the brain...

Summarizing; tolerating stupidity is a painful experience, forcing to tolerate it is foolishness. And that's how we have WoTC and this forum.

I respectfully disagree. I believe there is a nearly direct correlation between players' wn8 and the criticism hurled at WG. The better the player the more he/she whines about everything from weather variants to artillery to map rotation to artillery to artillery spotting to waffles to artillery again..

There are casuals that complain about disappearing tanks or whatever but they are humiliated...err... Educated here quickly.

The better the player the more they expect every game to be perfect.

View PostPontiac Pat, on 08 December 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

This is so true. Well said

giaka #9 Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:34 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 37630 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 07 December 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

So what you're saying is, its human nature?  :)  Great post and spot on. 

Warthog II #10 Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:59 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35761 battles
  • [KMD]

Had a Tiger I driver in a tier 8 game with one arty on each side,push a flank on Swamp, sit out in the wide open while surely spotted, stay still in the open, playing but not moving the hull while not tracked, and get erased.

DM'd them:

me:  why sit sill, in the open?

them:  i can my game

me: deciding to get taken out easily, odd choice.

them: love this game just play on

That player had nearly 31,000 battles at that point, has 44.77% winrate.  239.96 wn8

Is it easier to be "satisfied" if you're de facto deploying dumps on your team and not caring the slightest about pulling their own weight?

Also, competitive players have been asking for a long time now about 2-cap assault and features related to comp-play like PC has.    Then WGCB says they're putting that stuff in the game, and then WGCB puts in mostly different stuff.    

zmankiller11 #11 Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:12 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18653 battles
  • [L7]
I like doing good. I don't ever say, boy we just lost, that was so fun! I play to do good because that's where I get satisfaction, I think I'm pretty decent at this game. I'm very happy, especially with this update. 

Tanks that I actually enjoy playing: Leopard 1**, T71***, ELC***, WZ-132***, T-54***, E 25***, T49***, Skorpion G***.

RNG > Skill

JanneVee23 #12 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10170 battles
I like this discussion and I think the OP has asked a great question. I believe that in order to become a great player you have to invest a lot of time, energy and effort into this game. You also have to have a competitive mindset to really get good because you compare yourself to better players and there is the motivation to beat them. 

A competative player who wants to get better than others learns not only the basic gameplay but "studies" the mechanics, facts and all the other factors that make up the game and then WG changes them without warning. That feels like a betrayal, it's not fair...I believe that this basic psychological reaction explains a lot of the negative reactions from competitive players...

Players like me, who play just to get better and want to have fun are different...I compete with myself because the great players are in a league I will never reach, that's just a fact and I'm ok with it. That doesn't mean that I am a bad player or do dumb stuff...I am able to have purple stats for a day if I play the right tank and have the right attitude but if I would just play like that I would quit within a week...I wanna have fun as well...that doesn't mean that I let the team down or am not playing to win...it's just a different attitude...

SteelTiiTan #13 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:54 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15136 battles
  • [IMTLS]
I only saw one thread of competitive players upset about something in the update but every single day there are several threads created by casual players whining incessantly

pr0fit0fcanabis #14 Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32516 battles

View PostSteelTiiTan, on 08 December 2017 - 06:54 AM, said:

I only saw one thread of competitive players upset about something in the update but every single day there are several threads created by casual players whining incessantly

I would not argue that casual players create whining posts.  That is a good discussion, just.not the one I was looking for tonight.  

SteelTiiTan #15 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15136 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Postpr0fit0fcanabis, on 08 December 2017 - 06:59 AM, said:

I would not argue that casual players create whining posts.  That is a good discussion, just.not the one I was looking for tonight.  

Well creating negative forum posts correlates to dissatisfaction clearly, which is what you brought up..

It's harder to just take the game for what it is the more you play and understand it, instead you look at the game for what it could be.

pr0fit0fcanabis #16 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32516 battles

View PostSteelTiiTan, on 08 December 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

Well creating negative forum posts correlates to dissatisfaction clearly, which is what you brought up..

It's harder to just take the game for what it is the more you play and understand it, instead you look at the game for what it could be.

I completely agree it's related.  There is no question.  So is your response basically that the correlation between competitive players and dissatisfaction is low, relative to the dissatisfaction of casual gamers? I would not rule it out.  I would want you to explain Facebook though....:trollface: 

SteelTiiTan #17 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15136 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View Postpr0fit0fcanabis, on 08 December 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

I completely agree it's related.  There is no question.  So is your response basically that the correlation between competitive players and dissatisfaction is low, relative to the dissatisfaction of casual gamers? I would not rule it out.  I would want you to explain Facebook though....:trollface: 

I think competitive players aren't as vocal about their dissatisfaction on these different platforms as casuals, but they each probably have similar portions that experience dissatisfaction (often for different reasons, based on outlook on the game)

Ttone5722 #18 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14471 battles
  • [WTAF]
I bet the great, competitve players are disproportionately dissatisfied with the game right now.

"Ignorance is bliss" is a thing. The bad players probably don't even know they are bad, and damn sure can't pick out all the little details that are off in game. They don't typically do well enough to complain about anything more than "invisible tanks".

Dyslexsticks #19 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29477 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostATHFjman18, on 08 December 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

Sometimes I wish I didn’t care about winning and performing well. Youll see someone with just abysmal stats, but having a blast and contribute nothing while I’m tearing my hair out trying to get the win. 

^Maybe the same for me too, up to a certain extent. I'd have happily come to the forums for techniques and stuff but I could've done without discovering WOTinfo as I now know when I do bad when I shouldn't be doing bad and it annoys the living daylights out of me.

In response to the OP I never truly used to consider myself part of the competitive scene, even if I always strived to do well. Every get together I've had has been on casual terms as well as the one and only clan I have been, and am, currently a part of.

But yet I still remain kind of dissatisfied but perhaps not so much with WGs recent decisions but more or less out of complete boredom.

I used to be really on that nerf this buff that train but I've stopped riding it as I'm bored of that too. There's no end, no satisfying stops, it just keeps going.

[X] Recent: TVP 50/51 (CZH, MT) US: 1/6 UK: 6/6 GER: 4/9 RUS: 3/8 FR: 2/5 JPN: 1/2 CN: 1/2 CZH: 1/1 SWE: 0/2[X]

[///] Recent: M26 Pershing (VIII) LT's: 5 MT's: 10 HT's: 7 TD's: 3 [\\\]

My captures

Dessel_140 #20 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 5096 battles
  • [-EXP-]

View PostATHFjman18, on 08 December 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

yeah this is me most game lol, well said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users