Do Not Buff Indirect Fire Vehicles. Add Indirect Fire View to the "Targeted" if they look ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Warthog II #1 Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38221 battles
  • [KMD]

It's not exactly user friendly and likely to lead to longer term player base for players to move up, be within view range of enemy tanks, then get hit with shells that fall from the sky without "detected" or "targeted" to pop up.  

Probably not a good way to keep players around if Artillery keeps this buff it got with the last update.

Some people claim Ensk should be tier restricted.   I don't believe their lies. 

Roger Stryker #2 Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3347 battles

Do we need to be told our location is known when a TD or any other unit is looking right at us without us being currently "detected", too?

Just the other day, while operating a Hellcat, I wound up exchanging fire with a Jagdpanther. The Jagdpanther and one or two other enemy units had been detected by a friendly scout that had moved up to engage artillery reported in the area; I had seen high-arc tracer fire and suggested someone investigate. I responded to the scout's discovery and started firing on the Jagdpanther, but it was too late for the scout. Several seconds after the death of the scout, and the loss of his reports on visually confirmed enemy sightings, I received visual confirmation for myself that the Jagdpanther was still in the same position (I continued to see tracer fire from his previous position), so I continued to fire, adjusting my point of aim somewhat in an attempt to compensate for my gun crew suddenly thinking I intended on shooting the building a block behind the Jagdpanther. Should the Jagdpanther have been getting the warning tip-offs that I still knew where he was, or was that something his operator should have just figured out on his own (perhaps in the form of sense being knocked into him by my ineffective 76mm shells bouncing off his well-sloped armor)?

In my opinion, no. No need for "Detected!/Targeted!" warnings unless I'm actually lit up. If artillery or anything else has figured out where I am (because I'm being a fool, continually firing from the same position, allowing the enemy to trace back my fire and accurately return fire), even without the detection system's mathematical 'spotting', I deserve what I get.

Again I'm reminded of the old days, where snipers in games didn't have to worry about that pesky glint giving away their positions and hinting at their intentions all the time...

EDIT:

If you're talking about when you have been detected, I still say no to warnings of artillery. If there is enemy artillery on the map, then being detected at all should be warning enough, and if possible you should be doing everything within your power to break line of sight or put distance/obstacles between yourself and whatever is spotting you/wherever you think you're being spotted from. Or, yeah, silencing whoever has you spotted, through proper application of whatever weapon you may be able to bring to bare.

Edited by Roger Stryker, 16 December 2017 - 08:04 AM.

Warthog II #3 Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38221 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostRoger Stryker, on 16 December 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

If you're talking about when you have been detected, I still say no to warnings of artillery. If there is enemy artillery on the map, then being detected at all should be warning enough, and if possible you should be doing everything within your power to break line of sight or put distance/obstacles between yourself and whatever is spotting you/wherever you think you're being spotted from. Or, yeah, silencing whoever has you spotted, through proper application of whatever weapon you may be able to bring to bare.

^^^  i.e. Artillery promotes camping and  large hill to block most of the gun arc, but not all, and moving around erratically isn't good enough.

The "detected" (now "targeted") doesn't get set-off if sky-view from artillery is getting used since the last update.

Some people claim Ensk should be tier restricted.   I don't believe their lies. 

RogueMerc69 #4 Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11282 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostRoger Stryker, on 16 December 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Arty already had two passive abilities, why add a third, why should every other class alert people, but not the one that should most? Saying "don't get spotted" is the most ridiculous suggestion to countering indirect fire.

Roger Stryker #5 Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3347 battles

Hm. All right, I was mistaken about something before, it seems.

Previously, when being aimed at by artillery, it did indeed warn you? I wasn't aware you were informed of being aimed at, if it was artillery looking at you.

As for "don't get spotted", that's a bit of a simplification of what I said. What I said was, basically, break contact, through any means---kill the spotter(s), find hard cover or soft concealment, or get some distance. And doing any/all of those things is easier said than done, I know, but far from ridiculous. It works against direct fire as well as indirect fire, too---considering how often I see people stop shooting at something they should know is still there, just because it's no longer lit up.

RogueMerc69 #6 Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11282 battles
  • [RDDT]

View PostRoger Stryker, on 18 December 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

Hm. All right, I was mistaken about something before, it seems.

Previously, when being aimed at by artillery, it did indeed warn you? I wasn't aware you were informed of being aimed at, if it was artillery looking at you.

As for "don't get spotted", that's a bit of a simplification of what I said. What I said was, basically, break contact, through any means---kill the spotter(s), find hard cover or soft concealment, or get some distance. And doing any/all of those things is easier said than done, I know, but far from ridiculous. It works against direct fire as well as indirect fire, too---considering how often I see people stop shooting at something they should know is still there, just because it's no longer lit up.

Its not an oversimplification at all, just a regular simplification. Like how TF is a heavy on prok supposed to "just" kill all of the tanks spotting him and not be lit up for arty? The only way is to not be spotted in the first place.

SPCCN #7 Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26427 battles
  • [-ZT-]
Not having "Targeted" alert when arty TARGETS YOU is so F'ing ridiculous! Yes I did just get killed by a SPG, but I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN if the alert system was the same as pre 4.1.

Max has said you would only be alerted if your turret was directed towards the hidden arty. Thing is every tank moving towards the enemy base, or towards the oncoming Reds, is most likely already facing the artillery positions! Good/Great players would traverse their turrets to determine the direction of SPG fire.

AT THE VERY LEAST SIXTH SENSE SHOULD ALLOW "TARGETED" TO ALERT DUE TO ARTY AIMING AT YOU; AS IT HAS BEEN DEVALUED SLIGHTLY IN 4.2.

Tanks must always push the battle, maneuver terrain, gain position, coordinate, and devastate the enemy.

Play like a TANK not a pill box! 

Move away from bad engagements and towards favourable ones.

Relocating does not make you a coward loser.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users