Leading a Happy and Successful WoT Life

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

nocapkillall #1 Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles
The first step is to stop worrying about the the stuff you can't control and focus solely on your own performance. It's you versus the game and everything it encompasses: bad players & good players; teammates or otherwise, maps, game modes, game imbalances, glitches, and anything else you can think of. It's simply a change in perspective that keeps you sane because your only objective is to perform well & win no matter what WoT throws at you. Everything you used to complain about and hate about the game is now a welcomed challenge. So that's most of the happy part of the equation taken care of, but you'll need to be successful in order to really enjoy the game.

Success in World of Tanks comes down to two main skills: situational awareness and positioning. Situational awareness is knowing what's going on around you and positioning is where you put your tank.

Here is an article I found that explains situational awareness and should help a great deal when applied to WoT. Most everything in the article should be utilized in WoT, so use your brain and figure out how. It takes practice to be able to read your map, the field and the tank list, but most players don't even try so you'll have a huge advantage if you do. I cannot emphasize enough how important this skill is in WoT. If you properly apply what you learn from this article, you will greatly improve.

Positioning is putting your tank in a powerful position and utilizing it to dominate your opponents. Where you put your tank will depend on the decision you make based off the information you gathered while practicing situational awareness. I recommend playing the A-Game during the countdown; establish a baseline by considering the map and tank list. You can find powerful positions a ton of different ways: YouTube, streams, in-game experimentation, etc. You can never have enough good spots, but I recommend, for each map & spawn, you have at least a few strong & aggressive starting positions, positions for advancing the attack, a few spots to retreat to if your aggressive play doesn't work out, and a few end game spots that will allow you to farm some extra damage before your inevitable end. Of course, you don't want to be stuck to any of your spots; you need to ask yourself the right questions and think about where you can put your tank to have the greatest impact in the battle at any given moment. That's the basics of positioning covered.

Now I'll just give you guys a few useful tactics and tips to improve your game a bit. One of the most important skills in WoT is knowing when to retreat, and it's better to leave a little early than to die because you didn't act fast enough. Don't force anything; let the game happen, be patient, and wait for your chances. Push the side most of your team is fighting on because numbers win fights. Use your discretion when prioritizing targets, but try to focus down the lowest HP tanks because taking guns out of the fight is important. Look to take advantage of opportunities to deal free damage; if an enemy fires and you can take a free shot during the reload, do it. Make good trades; don't trade half your HP for one shot of damage. Don't engage enemies that are looking at you unless you have the armor. Don't engage in fights you can't win; if you're outnumbered, run away and farm them as they advance. If you have a numbers advantage, utilize it and circle the enemy so they turn their turrets away from your team. Use your hitpoints to do damage and protect teammates when necessary. Toggle your map in settings so you can see the whole thing. Make enemies pay dearly for small mistakes by taking advantage of tracking opportunities. Actively think and ask yourself questions while you're playing; be mindful. As a fast tank, take the most powerful positions long enough for your heavy teammates to get set up and then switch to a support role (hill, malinovka). That's enough tips from me but I'm sure there's a lot you people can add.

WoT isn't all about how well you aim or your reaction time, it's mostly about situational awareness and positioning. Hope this thread improves your game and helps you to lead a happy and successful wot life.

situational awareness + positioning = wot

a thread that will make you better at the game

Papax 2112 #2 Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 60689 battles
  • [BNKR]
Well said....

nocapkillall #3 Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostPapax 2112, on 05 January 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Well said....

Thanks.

Ttone5722 #4 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16306 battles
  • [WTAF]
Good stuff man. Hopefully some people will learn a little something from that.

nocapkillall #5 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostTtone5722, on 05 January 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

Good stuff man. Hopefully some people will learn a little something from that.

Thanks. Yeah, hopefully.

TocFanKe4 #6 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21071 battles
  • [GIRLS]

Retreat is for the weak!  Attack, attack, attack!!!!  Kill All!!! Blood for the Blood God!!!!!  :izmena:

I've got a Khorne hot dog as a forum picture.  What'd you expect?  :P

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

nocapkillall #7 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostTocFanKe4, on 05 January 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Retreat is for the weak!  Attack, attack, attack!!!!  Kill All!!! Blood for the Blood God!!!!!  :izmena:

Such bloodlust and commitment to advancement will certainly satisfy the "Blood God," whoever that is, but retreating is for winners and would likely lead to you spilling more enemy blood :)

FUNKFREAKA #8 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44632 battles

View Postnocapkillall, on 05 January 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

The first step is to stop worrying about the the stuff you can't control and focus solely on your own performance. It's you versus the game and everything it encompasses: bad players & good players; teammates or otherwise, maps, game modes, game imbalances, glitches, and anything else you can think of. It's simply a change in perspective that keeps you sane because your only objective is to perform well & win no matter what WoT throws at you. Everything you used to complain about and hate about the game is now a welcomed challenge. So that's most of the happy part of the equation taken care of, but you'll need to be successful in order to really enjoy the game.

Success in World of Tanks comes down to two main skills: situational awareness and positioning. Situational awareness is knowing what's going on around you and positioning is where you put your tank.

Here is an article I found that explains situational awareness and should help a great deal when applied to WoT. Most everything in the article should be utilized in WoT, so use your brain and figure out how. It takes practice to be able to read your map, the field and the tank list, but most players don't even try so you'll have a huge advantage if you do. I cannot emphasize enough how important this skill is in WoT. If you properly apply what you learn from this article, you will greatly improve.

Positioning is putting your tank in a powerful position and utilizing it to dominate your opponents. Where you put your tank will depend on the decision you make based off the information you gathered while practicing situational awareness. I recommend playing the A-Game during the countdown; establish a baseline by considering the map and tank list. You can find powerful positions a ton of different ways: YouTube, streams, in-game experimentation, etc. You can never have enough good spots, but I recommend, for each map & spawn, you have at least a few strong & aggressive starting positions, positions for advancing the attack, a few spots to retreat to if your aggressive play doesn't work out, and a few end game spots that will allow you to farm some extra damage before your inevitable end. Of course, you don't want to be stuck to any of your spots; you need to ask yourself the right questions and think about where you can put your tank to have the greatest impact in the battle at any given moment. That's the basics of positioning covered.

Now I'll just give you guys a few useful tactics and tips to improve your game a bit. One of the most important skills in WoT is knowing when to retreat, and it's better to leave a little early than to die because you didn't act fast enough. Don't force anything; let the game happen, be patient, and wait for your chances. Push the side most of your team is fighting on because numbers win fights. Use your discretion when prioritizing targets, but try to focus down the lowest HP tanks because taking guns out of the fight is important. Look to take advantage of opportunities to deal free damage; if an enemy fires and you can take a free shot during the reload, do it. Make good trades; don't trade half your HP for one shot of damage. Don't engage enemies that are looking at you unless you have the armor. Don't engage in fights you can't win; if you're outnumbered, run away and farm them as they advance. If you have a numbers advantage, utilize it and circle the enemy so they turn their turrets away from your team. Use your hitpoints to do damage and protect teammates when necessary. Toggle your map in settings so you can see the whole thing. Make enemies pay dearly for small mistakes by taking advantage of tracking opportunities. Actively think and ask yourself questions while you're playing; be mindful. As a fast tank, take the most powerful positions long enough for your heavy teammates to get set up and then switch to a support role (hill, malinovka). That's enough tips from me but I'm sure there's a lot you people can add.

WoT isn't all about how well you aim or your reaction time, it's mostly about situational awareness and positioning. Hope this thread improves your game and helps you to lead a happy and successful wot life.

If people were to read this it could only lead to a mass improvement in the game and you are so right as I swear the majority of players on a team dont use the valuable info on the full map mode that is there before kickoff and through out.

Thankyou for that post and 

Very well said.

nocapkillall #9 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostFUNKFREAKA, on 05 January 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

If people were to read this it could only lead to a mass improvement in the game and you are so right as I swear the majority of players on a team dont use the valuable info on the full map mode that is there before kickoff and through out.

Thankyou for that post and 

Very well said.

Thanks. Not sure quoting the whole post was necessary though :rolleyes:

FUNKFREAKA #10 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44632 battles

View Postnocapkillall, on 05 January 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

Thanks. Not sure quoting the whole post was necessary though :rolleyes:

is that better,  sorry my phone is useless and I'm getting old.

How do I not quote everything?

FUNKFREAKA #11 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44632 battles
I'll try this box

FUNKFREAKA #12 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44632 battles
Sorry but think I got it now. Anyway tank time.

nocapkillall #13 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostFUNKFREAKA, on 05 January 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

is that better,  sorry my phone is useless and I'm getting old.

How do I not quote everything?

No worries, not a big deal :)

FUNKFREAKA #14 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44632 battles
You quoted hehehe

TocFanKe4 #15 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21071 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View Postnocapkillall, on 05 January 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Such bloodlust and commitment to advancement will certainly satisfy the "Blood God," whoever that is, but retreating is for winners and would likely lead to you spilling more enemy blood :)

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Khornate_Berzerkers

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

Gramps JC #16 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19609 battles

View PostTocFanKe4, on 05 January 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Never retreat....tactically relocate ;)

Credit to Violet Viper x for Sig

nocapkillall #17 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostFUNKFREAKA, on 05 January 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

You quoted hehehe

You quote when you reply to someone but you don't quote the original post :)

VKSheridan #18 Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23290 battles
Quit posting help, I need red to stay aloof and disorganized dammit!  Just kidding, good post!

nocapkillall #19 Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8784 battles

View PostVKSheridan, on 05 January 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

Quit posting help, I need red to stay aloof and disorganized dammit!  Just kidding, good post!

Screeo #20 Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17342 battles

I think your post is spot on. It takes a hell of a long time to develop situational awareness and there’s a lot to

it. Knowing the maps, reload times, weak spots, leading targets etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users