The Secret Inner Workings of Camo Values Revealed!

camo values

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Pontiac Pat #1 Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 24685 battles
  • [47R]

I had noticed discrepancy between various web sites regarding the actual bonus to camo values from a 100% trained camo skill.  PC says its 82.5% (75%+7.5% for a 100% trained commander).  World of Tanks Guide was showing a 50% increase.  Which was right?  Inquiring minds wanted to know.

Bashful helped me run some controlled experiments in the training room.  The results were startling.  What it revealed is that the in-game camo value displayed in the garage is NOT the BASE camo value at all.  Rather, it is the value that is achieved when the crew is 100% and has the camo skill trained to 100%.  The actual BASE camo value is the displayed value divided by 1.825.  The missing 82.5% is precisely what the PC formula says the camo skill should add when both it and the crew are at 100%.

Camo paint and Camo net are flat rate additions on top of that.

With this info, suddenly nearly 4 years of confusion about the numbers I've been seeing is cleared up.  Just thought I'd share for all the other math geeks out there.

Tank on!

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

Emothic #2 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 1377 battles

Yea. Knowing your actual camo stats has become redundent with the hand holding mechanic this game now has. Where it shows the range of which enemy players can detect you by showing you a green circle on your mini-map. Granted this gives you an estimation, but mainly as to the enemy needs to get closer to you then what the circle says in able to spot you. 

When I first came back to the game, I started to go over all of the camo/spotting mechanics and values, just to find out a few weeks later that the game actually tells you on your map. 

Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.

Hellsing Motto: We fear not our mortality, We serve to the best of our ability, We give our lives to our masters, We vow to smite our enemies.

Hellsing Prayer: In the name of God impure souls of the living and dead shall be banished into eternal damnation, amen.

Pontiac Pat #3 Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

Major

• 24685 battles
  • [47R]
Yes, it is mostly academic, but it's nice to know.  One thing to remember about the in-game detection circle is that it doesn't change as tanks die.  If the top spotters on the reds are dead then you will have some cushion to play with.

Edited by Pontiac Pat, 08 January 2018 - 07:24 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Bashful #4 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 27152 battles
  • [47R]

I wanted to point out that there was one interesting detail from the test:

Me in a M46 Patton w/ Coated Optics and a 100% crew with BiA, Recon and SA

Pat in a O-Ni and a 100% crew with nothing special on it - also, no paint on the tank

You'd think that because the O-ni has a Camo rating of 1 and the M-46 Patton has a base view range of 410 before all of the other bonuses, that I'd detect the O-ni near the max range of 445 m. Strangely enough, the actual measured value was 437 / 438 m.

I wonder if the would have been a difference if the O-ni crew had been a 50% crew

ozrage #5 Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19363 battles
  • [SWEDE]

Is bushes not a thing anymore, I seem to be spotted through them in all variants of tanks. I have good camo on some but still lid up quickly. And yes I know how you are suppose to do it. Hide and fire behind solid bush.

I get spotted through camo net and holding fire so, I don't know how else to hide.

Edited by ozrage, 09 January 2018 - 10:36 AM.

Pontiac Pat #6 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

Major

• 24685 battles
  • [47R]
Bushes are still a thing, but it can be difficult to tell whether ALL of your tank's spotting points are actually covered.

Unkempt #7 Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18962 battles
  • [SRT]

View Postozrage, on 09 January 2018 - 05:35 AM, said:

Is bushes not a thing anymore, I seem to be spotted through them in all variants of tanks. I have good camo on some but still lid up quickly. And yes I know how you are suppose to do it. Hide and fire behind solid bush.

I get spotted through camo net and holding fire so, I don't know how else to hide.

Console bushes are laughable at best. Regardless,  bush density (groups of bushes)  matters more than the size of a bush in my experience. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

ozrage #8 Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19363 battles
  • [SWEDE]

The barrel has no spot point right? At least not at the tip? But the barrel or gun, does it make the bush transperent if you touch it to the bush? Making the whole tank visible?

I was also wondering if the point of view is starting at the base of the gun and has 360 panorama view? Or does it start at the tip of the gun and have limited field of view?

Rubbelito #9 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 23168 battles
  • [KOALA]

View Postozrage, on 10 January 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

The barrel has no spot point right? At least not at the tip? But the barrel or gun, does it make the bush transperent if you touch it to the bush? Making the whole tank visible?

I was also wondering if the point of view is starting at the base of the gun and has 360 panorama view? Or does it start at the tip of the gun and have limited field of view?

Not at the tip, but at the mantle.

(Don't listen to everything in this vid, some of it is old/pc, but the visibility points is still the same)

Also tagged with camo values

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users