Tips for the Strv 74?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

CyraxPT #1 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles
I only have 19 games played with this tank and fully upgraded but i'm missing something. I've seen high praise for it but it has given me endless headaches due to the armor and tall profile. I know that i need to abuse the gun depression but between the map rotation favoring close encounters (i'm so tired of Port and Widepark with this tank) and the large amount of arties that i'm finding, i honestly don't know where i can put this tank to use.

In a new hiatus of Wot. See you when the bunch of incompetents at WGC finally figure out how to do their work and balance the game.

Dr EvilGnome73 #2 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30505 battles
  • [DG]
The only way to play it is to abuse its gun depression.

Ridge fight. It has good aim time and accuracy, so you pop over the ridge shoot and retreat. Rinse and repeat but obviously don't keep popping up at the same point!

CyraxPT #3 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles

View Postyoyobambam, on 10 January 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

The only way to play it is to abuse its gun depression.

Ridge fight. It has good aim time and accuracy, so you pop over the ridge shoot and retreat. Rinse and repeat but obviously don't keep popping up at the same point!

Obviously, but there's two problems with that:

1 - Everyone seems to have a hard on for this tank, even the lights yolo rush it. Am i suppose to play it way in the back where i'm safe?

2 - There are maps where i simply can't ridge fight because i either require some assistance from the team or there isn't good spots to use it without the fear of artillery.

In a new hiatus of Wot. See you when the bunch of incompetents at WGC finally figure out how to do their work and balance the game.

HighSpyker #4 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 29441 battles
  • [IRN]
I don't know, man.  I'm pulling a little more damage with mine, doing everything I can to maximize view range and limit being spotted by the enemy, but your WR is much better.  I run Vents, Rammer, and binoculars.  And cammo.

BrogueOne #5 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 18042 battles
  • [ELDER]
Have you tried playing a support role with it?  It’s really good as a second line support tank when maps don’t favor the ridgeline style.  Stay behind your teammates who charge to the front and snipe at distracted enemies.  Stay behind cover and pop out for shots when your enemy is reloading.  Keep your distance and stay close to your allies in the mid-late game.  The more hit points you can conserve the more dangerous you can be towards the end.

Also.... don’t ever try to face higher tiered opponents head on! Your gun is reliable, your armor is not. Lol!

CyraxPT #6 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles

View PostHighSpyker, on 10 January 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

I don't know, man.  I'm pulling a little more damage with mine, doing everything I can to maximize view range and limit being spotted by the enemy, but your WR is much better.  I run Vents, Rammer, and binoculars.  And cammo.

There's also a major problem that i forgot to mention, my crew is terrible with only 1 skill (6th sense). As for my WR, trust me, pure luck with the teams, it wasn't me influenciating the results.

View PostBrogueOne, on 10 January 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Have you tried playing a support role with it? It’s really good as a second line support tank when maps don’t favor the ridgeline style. Stay behind your teammates who charge to the front and snipe at distracted enemies. Stay behind cover and pop out for shots when your enemy is reloading. Keep your distance and stay close to your allies in the mid-late game. The more hit points you can conserve the more dangerous you can be towards the end.

Also.... don’t ever try to face higher tiered opponents head on! Your gun is reliable, your armor is not. Lol!

Well, yeah, i know that i screw up when they give me a fast machine (cdc) but trust me when i say that i try to be really careful with this tank to the point that i feel that i'm not contributing to the game due to the fear of being shot by... well, everything.

Dr EvilGnome73 #7 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30505 battles
  • [DG]
It is obviously map dependent, the same as for many tanks.

Yes play it from range but the trouble is it is a bit of a one trick pony because it's not very quick either.

Papax 2112 #8 Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 47819 battles
  • [BNKR]
Swedes in general are back of the pack tanks . You have adopt the lay back playstyle . On up the line Leo is a VII tank in an VIII match with a pop gun or slooow loader . The Emil I suffers from gun slowness also . Slow interclip , slow clip reload....

BrogueOne #9 Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 18042 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostCyraxPT, on 10 January 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

There's also a major problem that i forgot to mention, my crew is terrible with only 1 skill (6th sense). As for my WR, trust me, pure luck with the teams, it wasn't me influenciating the results.

Well, yeah, i know that i screw up when they give me a fast machine (cdc) but trust me when i say that i try to be really careful with this tank to the point that i feel that i'm not contributing to the game due to the fear of being shot by... well, everything.

Hmmm.  Without looking at your stats(since they’re not relevant here) I can say that some tanks simply take more than 19 games to get the hang of.  It could just be that it hasn’t “clicked” for you yet.  Every new tank in a line generally comes with new challenges and quirks that may not be easily adapted to.  But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, amiright?!

CyraxPT #10 Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:33 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 10 January 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

Hmmm.  Without looking at your stats(since they’re not relevant here) I can say that some tanks simply take more than 19 games to get the hang of.  It could just be that it hasn’t “clicked” for you yet.  Every new tank in a line generally comes with new challenges and quirks that may not be easily adapted to.  But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, amiright?!

You're absolutly right, 19 games isn't enough to pick up a tank and get the feel of it. My problem is that for the praise that the tank had and for my performance in it, i'm just missing what is so amazing about it. Sure, the gun handling and the gun depression might be amazing but i can't put it in use without risking myself, so, since the praise comes from the pc side and our game is slightly different, i was wondering if it is also considered great by console users.

I just can't find the right use to it when apparently arties are more popular than ever (especially the precise american ones), guess i'll have to suck it up and stay behind a heavy all match trying to get some shots here and there.

BrogueOne #11 Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 18042 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostCyraxPT, on 11 January 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

You're absolutly right, 19 games isn't enough to pick up a tank and get the feel of it. My problem is that for the praise that the tank had and for my performance in it, i'm just missing what is so amazing about it. Sure, the gun handling and the gun depression might be amazing but i can't put it in use without risking myself, so, since the praise comes from the pc side and our game is slightly different, i was wondering if it is also considered great by console users.

I just can't find the right use to it when apparently arties are more popular than ever (especially the precise american ones), guess i'll have to suck it up and stay behind a heavy all match trying to get some shots here and there.

It’s been well received here on Console as well.  Most of the gushing/fangirling over the new Swedes happened within the first 2-3 weeks of their release and the forums have since returned to your regularly scheduled rants, whining, e-peen showing off, and tin foil hattery.

You’ll have to take risks no matter what tank you play.  It’s entirely possible to better exploit the gun depression if you just make sure someone else is spotting ahead of you.  Having a better idea of what’s over the ridge can help you decide how great a risk is or how long you might be able to be exposed before the return fire.

WY Silver Wolf #12 Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11245 battles
  • [KMD]
Hit and run while peek-a-booming enemies on ridges/corners

LevelStream18 #13 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11492 battles
Find a ridgeline, and use the gun depression + incredible gun handling for a tier 6, plus the higher than average alpha for a 75mm at tier 6 to peek a boom over ridgelines at opponents. You can often shoot over steep ridges at opponents who just don't have the gun depression to come over and shoot at you back. Support your teammates - sometimes this means sniping, since the tank has good accuracy of .33, but sometimes this means being on the second line or even close to the front line preferably using a ridgeline and shooting opponents who aren't looking at you. You should zoom out of sniper view and look over the ridge or out from behind cover to see if an enemy is looking at you and if they aren't, then peek out and snapshot them before they get the chance to turn their turret. This tank is a bit like a revalorise at tier 6 that trades the raw alpha tier for tier to gain better gun depression and aim time. It is slowish for a medium which means you aren't always going to be active scouting or quickly flanking opponents all the time like in a Cromwell (though it has enough mobility to flank when the opportunity presents itself), but it's fast enough to follow along with the front line and move to new positions. You should always be with other teammates who you can support, going lone wolf or trying to take shots will end badly. Hope that helps :) 

WY Silver Wolf #14 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11245 battles
  • [KMD]

Also recommend snapshot

CyraxPT #15 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles

View PostWY Silver Wolf, on 11 January 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

Also recommend snapshot

Yeah... about that... by the time that i have a third skill to pick i'll be on the Leo or Emil.

But i'll take all the advices and tomorrow i'll go for a spin and use two main advices posted here, in a map with ridgelines i'll try to sneaky peaky some shots, in the "flat" ones i'll choose a pack of heavy tanks and try to shoot from the back, then i'll report back the results.

CyraxPT #16 Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12813 battles

Reporting back:

So, i went from 19 games to 42 (and from 70% winrate to 66.67%). The majority of the games were ok, around 1k to 2k damage, majority victories but some losses.

Let me focus on some of the losses:

Spoiler

These were games where i was the last man standing. Yeah, i do realize that i can't win all games, i can't do everything, but i like to go down fighting. That wasn't what happened, either i get swarmed by the lights (perhaps it's the good players going back to it but they appear to be really strong after the MM changes). In one of the games i had the hellcat chasing me across the map to the point where i couldn't run, i shoot him first but i couldn't trade against him or anyone else.

I still believe that it doesn't deserve the praise that it gets, perhaps it's me that high expectations but i'm just not feeling, perhaps if it had a lower profile...

But still, not everything was bad, as it was recommended, i played it safe from the back and...

Spoiler

But this raises a new problem. Why is the ammo count so low for this tank? By the end of that match i only had 2 prem bullets left. Sure, i missed/bounced half of the shots but still it was a tier 7 match, in a tier 8 i'll doubt that i'll be able to do this.

WY Silver Wolf #17 Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11245 battles
  • [KMD]
I did find the ammo count low for the tank, but at the same time I was able to breeze through for the grind. Think best game I did was near 2600 dmg with some assist. Did 1 MoE it after 70 ish games

marinefish666 #18 Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 32394 battles

I think Camo skill and paint will help a lot.

I am almost done with my second skill.

I plan on keeping this tank until my 4th skill is done.

The free tier 2 trainer will speed this training.

I usually run as a Sniper that flanks when I get a new tank like this.

Once you get a feel for it you find more opportunities.

I would stay away from the brawlers since you have no armor.

The key is to mop up the kill shots to help your team win.

CodenameGunther #19 Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22391 battles
  • [-P-]

View PostCyraxPT, on 10 January 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

Yeah... about that... by the time that i have a third skill to pick i'll be on the Leo or Emil.

But i'll take all the advices and tomorrow i'll go for a spin and use two main advices posted here, in a map with ridgelines i'll try to sneaky peaky some shots, in the "flat" ones i'll choose a pack of heavy tanks and try to shoot from the back, then i'll report back the results.

Yeah that's gonna be brutal, you should really consider Unlocking the Leo then stopping to grind out at least 3 crew skills before moving on. Ss, bia, and camo.

The reason it gets such good feedback is the great gun handling for a t6 along with the gun depression. It also ha she alpha damage boost. I have mine set up with rammer, vents and binos I believe because at t6 you can really abuse view range against things like the Russian heavies. I play sniper early then medium tank later. It's like a Panther almost, better in some ways, worse in others. 

Guide to not sucking at killing bots: https://www.youtube....?v=IHC13hhrBvM 

Professional Thread Killer

animatethant #20 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 66629 battles

If I don't have the right mindset my first game with this tank is a total loss because it's got absolutely no armor. 

Like, I think I've got one freak bounce ever. 

Anyways. It's got great gun depression and that's about it. 

I had a great game on highway once doing some 3.5k damage iirc. I stuck way back and used my team for spotting and Liberal use of prem ammo.

But for every game like that I have a couple of goose eggs.

I won't miss this tank when I unlock the Leo that's for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users