Anyone got light tank urban map gameplay tips?

Thread.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

R35T NO MORE #1 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15550 battles
  • [BNKR-]
I'm after grinding the Soviet LT line after it being suggest by forumers, however i've got very limited experience in LTs and with the current map rotation being mainly urban maps i would really appreciate any advice you guys can give. 

Joco3000 #2 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 26489 battles
  • [JOCO]

I'm not the best at it by far, but it appears I'm at least kinda decent, and I've had the odd good game in lights on cities.

The single best tip that I can think of is map knowledge.

I don't just mean common flanks and stuff, however. You need to know almost everything on the map. Every route, every passage, every raise and depression in the terrain, even knowing which bumps can screw over, or hide, your tank is helpful.

You only have so many places that you physically can go, so knowing the optimal routes for drive-bys is important. Even circling is possible in limited situations.

Situational awareness is second. Even when top tier, you will not last long in a protracted firefight. You need to combine this with map knowledge in order to survive for longer.

One more thing, and it might be obvious to you, but don't take stupid risks. Knowing what is a suitable risk and what will immediately lead to your demise is the difficult thing, mind you.

I hope that helps somewhat.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

Gramps JC #3 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19609 battles
Turkey Tank has a couple good vids up showing city map play...I learned a lot from watching them :)

Credit to Violet Viper x for Sig

Pit Friend #4 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32339 battles
  • [PTATO]
Wherever you go on the map make sure there is more than one way back out if you possibly can. So you can run away to hit them again instead of being forced to try and brawl your way out. 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

Brick S0lid #5 Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14262 battles

In general you just have to take the opportunities as they come on most city maps. You become so reliant on your team to make an opening and if that doesn't happen you basically end up just trying to scrape together a bit of damage before you lose.

Here's a few specifics  though.

On Ensk-war: I will begin the game by playing the main road and spotting into the enemy spawn. I think it's the north spawn that is the best for this because it has the windows that you can hull down and peek from. There's also a window to the right of this one which is partially blocked by rubble but is still usable to shoot down anyone who sits to the right of the central fountain. If team pushes any flanks I'll quickly attach myself to that effort and flank a few helpless tanks.

Himmelsdorf: I've stopped going hill in most of my lights especially the T-100lt and instead go towards the tracks, I'll start by positioning near the roads that run across the map and spot and shoot any tanks trying to cross towards the tracks and also anyone who pushes too far around the hill in the open. Hopefully by this point there is a few enemies becoming isolated or opportunities beginning to form so you can be more active.

Berlin: go field and use the bushes to stay undetected, spot and shoot whatever comes that way. Depending on how the teams deploy you may be able to quickly push through the field and get behind the enemy team, this is great when it happens especially if you don't lose the town too quickly. Is this isn't possible you may spend more time chipping away at the enemies opposing you in the field or if you keep an eye on how the town is doing there may be places for you to reposition clean up and break through there.

Edited by Brick S0lid, 25 January 2018 - 10:48 PM.

Artillery punishes flankers, not campers.

3700+Wn8. 100 tanks with 3 MoE including 29 tier X's on my main account.

CodenameGunther #6 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22419 battles
  • [-P-]

Find the few spots with sight lines early and pray your Arty/tds can shoot straight. Generally I don't fire unless it's an important kill shot. The middle of match you're generally praying your random heavies at least go the the right places and you can flank or at least provide some supporting fire.

Cry because mm is gonna be 90% urban maps. 

Guide to not sucking at killing bots: https://www.youtube....?v=IHC13hhrBvM 

Professional Thread Killer

R35T NO MORE #7 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15550 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostJoco3000, on 25 January 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'm not the best at it by far, but it appears I'm at least kinda decent, and I've had the odd good game in lights on cities.

The single best tip that I can think of is map knowledge.

I don't just mean common flanks and stuff, however. You need to know almost everything on the map. Every route, every passage, every raise and depression in the terrain, even knowing which bumps can screw over, or hide, your tank is helpful.

You only have so many places that you physically can go, so knowing the optimal routes for drive-bys is important. Even circling is possible in limited situations.

Situational awareness is second. Even when top tier, you will not last long in a protracted firefight. You need to combine this with map knowledge in order to survive for longer.

One more thing, and it might be obvious to you, but don't take stupid risks. Knowing what is a suitable risk and what will immediately lead to your demise is the difficult thing, mind you.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks for the advice mate, the don't take stupid risks might take some practice :playing:.

View PostGramps JC, on 25 January 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

Turkey Tank has a couple good vids up showing city map play...I learned a lot from watching them :)

I'll go have a look, cheers for the heads up. Welcome to the clan btw :-) 

View PostPit Friend, on 25 January 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Wherever you go on the map make sure there is more than one way back out if you possibly can. So you can run away to hit them again instead of being forced to try and brawl your way out. 

That's something i'll need to work on especially on urban maps, i'll bear it in mind, thanks. 

R35T NO MORE #8 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15550 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostBrick S0lid, on 25 January 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

In general you just have to take the opportunities as they come on most city maps. You become so reliant on your team to make an opening and if that doesn't happen you basically end up just trying to scrape together a bit of damage before you lose.

Here's a few specifics  though.

On Ensk-war: I will begin the game by playing the main road and spotting into the enemy spawn. I think it's the north spawn that is the best for this because it has the windows that you can hull down and peek from. There's also a window to the right of this one which is partially blocked by rubble but is still usable to shoot down anyone who sits to the right of the central fountain. If team pushes any flanks I'll quickly attach myself to that effort and flank a few helpless tanks.

Himmelsdorf: I've stopped going hill in most of my lights especially the T-100lt and instead go towards the tracks, I'll start by positioning near the roads that run across the map and spot and shoot any tanks trying to cross towards the tracks and also anyone who pushes too far around the hill in the open. Hopefully by this point there is a few enemies becoming isolated or opportunities beginning to form so you can be more active.

Berlin: go field and use the bushes to stay undetected, spot and shoot whatever comes that way. Depending on how the teams deploy you may be able to quickly push through the field and get behind the enemy team, this is great when it happens especially if you don't lose the town too quickly. Is this isn't possible you may spend more time chipping away at the enemies opposing you in the field or if you keep an eye on how the town is doing there may be places for you to reposition clean up and break through there.

I really appreciate the advice and info, thanks mate :great:

View PostCodenameGunther, on 25 January 2018 - 11:19 PM, said:

Find the few spots with sight lines early and pray your Arty/tds can shoot straight. Generally I don't fire unless it's an important kill shot. The middle of match you're generally praying your random heavies at least go the the right places and you can flank or at least provide some supporting fire.

Cry because mm is gonna be 90% urban maps. 

It certainly seems that way, quite a bad time to give it a go but the challenge should make it..interesting. 

Salty_Tanker #9 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 19082 battles
 Always have an escape route & don't hesitate to use it . 

“ Never trust a forum member that uses an Anime profile pic .”      - SaltyMcD 

Saerbhreathach #10 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21899 battles

Play support as best you can until both teams thin out a bit, hopefully reds thin out more... Pick a group of tanks that are going to an area that you can kinda hide behind em or around them and play little guard dog. Watch their rear, make sure no reds are trying to flank if if they are warn the group, fend off red scouts etc...etc... Play support until around mid match, spotting is secondary on urban maps or tight maps. You'll spot reds and absorb assist as you move around. 

Come mid match or close to it, or of reds start to fold, poke and prod the front line and see if you can find a way to slip through. From here you can hunt red scouts/arty, start to passive spot a conjested area from behind, pester small groups of reds that are preoccupied with friendlies take pokes at em, distract em, try and turn heads. But NEVER get caught alone and NEVER get too brave. Urban maps and tight maps leave little room for mistakes. Zip out round the wrong corner, scramble for cover only to find out there's 5+ reds not but 100m in front of you. All kinds of nasty can happen, so ALWAYS stick close to help as much as you can so you can fall back if needed. 

Let's take Ensk as an example. I utterly hate Ensk, it's the worst map for scouts!!! I play around the center line most times, keeping tabs on both ends of the front line while zipping back and forth supporting who I can and always watching for an opening to push through, all the while keeping greens between me and reds. Then come mid match I start to work the field or the train tracks prodding for a way to slip around reds in the city. If I can't I continue to support where I can until an opening comes along or the team crumbles. Whatever comes first. 

Komarin as another example. Doesn't matter what side I spawn on I ALAWAYS stay on my side of the center island. Doing a big figure eight behind my team keeping front line reds lit up and watching for which side I can slip through. I continue this until a side breaks through or when my team owns the center island. Then I start to push either side of the map, avoiding the center, trying to get at arty or spot camping reds OR swing all the way around behind red team and flank the opposite side of the map. 

Basically just play support until you can get more room to move around and stay hidden. As I said, small maps and urban maps punish mistakes, more so for squishy scouts. The slightest misjudgment, getting lit up at the wrong time will cost you big time. :)

Saerbhreathach #11 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21899 battles

View PostSaltyMcD, on 25 January 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

Always have an escape route & don't hesitate to use it . 

And this. I forgot this..... Always have an escape route pre-planned!! ;)

radonism #12 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 15944 battles

Stay alive! Early game it's scout time, ideally passive, but active if not.

Use your speed to protect the possible quick push for arty, try and avoid light v light knife fights until later on or with back up. And in the mid to end game track, annoy and distract. Even getting the Maus or E100 to turn it's turret towards you so the Deathstar/E4 etc. can pen really helps. Bait heavily armoured reds into traps.

Check the team in depth in the countdown. How many non turreted TD's? Target them as the teams thin out. Count the reloads and get behind.

Joco3000 #13 Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 26489 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 25 January 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

And this. I forgot this..... Always have an escape route pre-planned!! ;)

One?

Several is ideal. You never know what may be around that corner.

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 25 January 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice mate, the don't take stupid risks might take some practice :playing:.

I've been at it for four and a half years and I'm still not great at it.

Knowing might be half the battle, but actually applying that knowledge is a whole other matter.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

GunnyHighway63 #14 Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29943 battles
Just try and stay alive for your team,I always go the field on city maps and spot, then I'll go in and mop up the tail. But sometimes that don't work lol

DerailedWingnut #15 Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 20746 battles
  • [WLPK]

The advice above is assuredly better than mine as I'm not a devoted LT player, but this is what I tend to try to do.

I always move with a group, albeit a little ahead to scout for them. Since I always pretty much play in platoons anymore, I try to bait enemies in front of friendly guns. Have my platoon set up in their TDs or Heavies, poke out and jab a guy a time or two or do a drive-by, and then run back around the corner to my friendlies to blast the unsuspecting victim.

Edited by DerailedWingnut, 26 January 2018 - 12:36 AM.

Check Out The Bunker, Our Mods Aren't Fascists: HTTPS://TheBunker.FreeForums.Net

Mastery 99% Mastery 95 % Mastery 80% Mastery 50% All Nation Tanks Elite Italics = Grinding * = Mark Of Excellence

panthermark #16 Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 11510 battles

Sigh when you see another f%$#ing urban map.

Do what you can to get through it.

Come here and complain about the number of urban and corridor maps, and other "heavy tank" bias items. 

That is what I do. 

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

Saerbhreathach #17 Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:59 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21899 battles

View PostJoco3000, on 25 January 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

One?

Several is ideal. You never know what may be around that corner.

I've been at it for four and a half years and I'm still not great at it.

Knowing might be half the battle, but actually applying that knowledge is a whole other matter.

True... As I'm sitting waiting for the match to start I'm eyeballing both teams, seeing what kind of compition I've got and what kind of backup I can expect. And I'm coming up with a rough plan of attack, "plan A". Where to go first and how I can fall back unseen if need be which usually consists of 2-3 escape routes at the least. I'm also coming up with plans B-D with escape routes as well. 

As you said, you never know what's gonna be around that corner... You could be passive scouting one minute and a blink of an eye later be knee deep in trouble... You need to be really "fluid" and be able to adjust to any given situation on the fly. And it's always good to have a couple basic plans in place. :)

WereLemur #18 Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:43 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7812 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 25 January 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Learning this made a big difference to my LT play.  It can lead to some great games.  Next thing I know, between actual and assisted damage I'm top 5 or top 3.

groovingreg #19 Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:03 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18573 battles
urgh,  city maps.  i have some.  not specific maps, but some generall thoughts.  as mentioned allready, team roster on the map countdown.  what slow heavies are their,  what fast mediums are there?  do this for both teams.  which opfor tank is pottentially the most dangerous and thus needs finding and or staying away from?  
as for gameplay,  i tend to play how i feel,  fast and loose,  or closeby others for support.  NEVER GET GREEDY IN CITY MAPS,  EVER.  that is to say you may get 3 shots in but is it worth the gamble of garage trip?  (this one is my biggest weakest,  i see red and get too greedy and then suffer for it).  if you can save you're hp for late game.  a light tank on good health at the end of city map game can make all the difference.  
as for russian lights in cities,  be very aware that there are very small mounds that can stop you getting on target because most russian lights have poor gun depression,  even small mounds can be a pain to work around.  also be aware that the lttb speed demon can and will barrel roll very easilly on city maps because,  again what might be small mound to you is a ramp to you're lttb.  

groovingreg #20 Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:13 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18573 battles
just thinking about that last point.  get used to rolling you're lttb.  no matter how much you learn this tank,  it will go out of it's way to roll over likea dog wanting it's belly scratched.  learn early on in youre soviet grind all the lumps and bumps on each map.  be aware that the middle park on himmellsderp is full of traps to roll you're lttb.  the road under the hill by the park is also an area full of barrel rolling danger as well.  

Also tagged with Thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users