#ModelKit Contest

model tank contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Goshism WGA #1 Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Community Coordinator

• Players
  • 722 battles
#Modelkit contest results are in and boy was this difficult! Thank you to all who joined in!

Here are the winners!

1st place:Matt Bond
Runner Up:CkatBoyy13

10 random Code participant winners:
Winners will be contacted by the means at which they submitted their entry.

Thank you to all who joined in!

Please feel free to provide your feedback on this event. Would you like to see this again? Could any adjustments be made to make this better ect?

Hey all!

I, like many model builders, enjoy building, painting and showing off our creations. This contest will allow you all to do just that and at the same time have a chance of winning some rather sick prizes.

Start: February 1st, 2018

End: February 28th, 2018

Results posted: March 5th, 2018

Prizes:

1st place: 1/35 scale Italeri model kit Type 59 or in-game premium vehicle tier 2-8

2nd place: Italeri 1/56 M4 Sherman or in-game premium vehicle tier 2-4

10 random participants: 7 day premium time codes (not 1st or Runner-up)

How to participate:

1. Post a model you are working on or have completed either here on the forums or on our Facebook announcement. Planes, Tanks, Ships. Any Military vehicle will be accepted!
2. Include on a piece of paper and put it in your photo.

• your username and console,
  • date,
  • #ModelKit

3. Talk about your model.

• What's your favorite detail on the model?
  • Can you walk us through one of the techniques you used when painting this model?
  • Did you try anything new?
  • Can you share any tips from your experience building and painting this model?
  • Did you try any other paint schemes before this one?
  • What would you do differently next time?

Rules:

1. Physical prizes only for United States residences.

• If you reside outside the U.S. and are a winner, choose an in-game premium tank of your choice
  • If you reside within the U.S. but do not want the physical prize, choose an in-game premium tank of your choice

2. Three entry per player
3. If no username is shown next to the model it will be disqualified from the contest.

That's it! We can't wait to see what you all have put together!

**Detailed Rules**

Spoiler

Attached Files

• Attached File   IMG_5438.JPG   156.96K
  • Attached File   IMG_5440.JPG   132.8K
  • Attached File   IMG_5443.JPG   171.13K

Edited by Goshism WGA, 05 March 2018 - 09:54 PM.

NinetyMIKE #2 Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:02 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17513 battles

My entry is Tiger 112, it's a 1/35 scale Tiger I initial production.

This model for me personally is my best work and a favorite in my collection.

My favorite thing about this model is all of the fine little super accurate details, making it look extremely realistic.

The model was painted in dunkelgelb with khaki camouflage, a historically paint scheme for German vehicles in North Africa.
The camo pattern was achieved using the silly putty technique and an air brush.
If there is one thing I would have done differently is maybe a tad bit more weathering, other than that I love it.

Well here it is :justwait:

Knot3D #3 Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21625 battles

Here's my entry: Churchill AVRE Gun Carrier MK IV  - scale 1:72

Inspiration for this model :

When War Stories Sea Lion landed in WOT, that's when inspiration hit me: Let's say an alternate Sea Lion really happened, those Gun Carriers might have actually been used to fight off the invaders. 

"So where to get a 1/72 Churchill Gun Carrier?" 

I knew options were rather limited. I found Black Knight Studios sells pre-built resin kits. Those look pretty good, but the price is even more extreme than what I paid for my Dragon Jagdpanzer. Also, the base kit they use features the kind of exaggerated detail like those Plastic Soldier Company models have ; which looks cool, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when displayed next to a non-table top gaming 1/72 model.

Then I found a conversion kit by Modelltrans for any Dragon Armor Pro 1/72 Churchill kit. It's basically a resin kit, based on those same Dragon Churchills.

Making it something unique

Of course, since WOT War Stories features this alternate history thing, I decided my Churchill Gun Carrier has to be something special. 

Imagine these Churchill Gun Carriers defending the white soil Dover coastline. It would really help if they could create the best ambush positions for themselves - and this is how I came to the idea to make

my Churchill Gun Carrier based on Dragon's Churchill AVRE MK IV kit ; these feature the H-bracket and appendage mounts to equip them with stuff like a dozer blade. The gun has 15 degrees of elevation

so it would not collide with the dozer blade. The dozer blade would enable the Gun Carrier to create ideal positions for itself on that hilly coastline, 

Techniques

Anyway, this was my first time experience with a resin kit. Strange material. Feels like a cross between plastic and wax. Since I hadn't done a model kit for so long, I haven't kept up with new techniques either. 

I decided this would be my first try at the hair spray chipping method. I found out, I didn't like the gun, for its base connection was roughly casted at the mold injector piece. You'd basically have to carve it out.

So I designed a gun of my own and had it printed out by Shapeways. 

1:72 is a small scale, so putting in all the paint details was a true excercise of patience and frustration.....

Onto the pictures (lots of them): 

Spoiler

JustParky #4 Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18935 battles
  • [WOTP]

Does it have to be a model tank or can it be one i built out of household bits and bobs? I've yet to start  an actual scale model collection yet..

Thanks

Need help and unsure on how to send a ticket? Read my guide Here

Click to go to my - Youtube - Twitch - WoTProfile - [W_O_P]

My current favourite tanks - Pz. I C / SU-122-44 / Lycan / Pz. V/IV / SU-100 (122mm)

Goshism WGA #5 Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

Community Coordinator

• Players
  • 722 battles

I am liking what I am seeing so far! Very nice work guys! 

View PostJustParky, on 01 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Does it have to be a model tank or can it be one i built out of household bits and bobs? I've yet to start  an actual scale model collection yet..

Thanks

Has to be an actual model from a kit such as Tamiya, Italeri, Airfix ect. 

Metalrodent #6 Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10186 battles
  • [KMD]

No kit prizes for outside the US booo, well fine I guess there's a coupla prems I'd be happy with.

Have to decide what model to present now lol (although considering the quality of the two entries above this not sure I have much of a chance lol).

Also by 'three entry per player' does that mean you can make three different posts with a different model?

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/sCeAbYa.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...sCeAbYa.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...bYa.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/s.../a></a></a></a></a>

There’s a mask upon my face
I can’t live without
So you won’t recognize me
When I am in the crowd

Goshism WGA #7 Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

Community Coordinator

• Players
  • 722 battles

View PostMetalrodent, on 01 February 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Also by 'three entry per player' does that mean you can make three different posts with a different model?

Ideally and for ease of documentation on my end I'd like each entry to be on the same post but I totally understand some not doing that. After all, it's not about me, it's about you lot and your love of models :) 

Do whatever feels cool for you :)

YoungestBike679 #8 Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:45 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 30434 battles

A couple of years ago I got my one and only 3 star MOE using the Wolverine. Since Italeri had already produced other WoT tanks, I figured they would immediately rush out an M10 to commemorate this epic event.  :)

Sadly this didn’t happen so I decided to do it myself.  Fortunately my youngest son had a Tamiya 1/35 M10 kit that he was willing to donate.

But wait – this didn’t look like my Wolverine! The gun was wrong, there were track segments on the side, no deflector on the turret and the list went on. I`m a fairly peaceful guy but for the first time in my Iife I was ready to do some kit bashing.

The result is the very limited edition YoungestBike679 WoT M10 “Wolverine” Late (GAA).

The story continues with lots of pictures and gory details...

Overall I’m happy how this project turned out.  The main discrepancy I see is that the counterweights on the turret don’t match the WoT version as it uses the later “duckbill” version. However I think it’s recognizable for what it is. I’ve included a screenshot and a similar photo for comparison.

Happy tanking (and modeling)!

Thiepval Ridge

The Backyard

Edited by YoungestBike679, 04 February 2018 - 04:47 PM.

WidowMaker1711 #9 Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10663 battles
  • [BNKR]
Will have to start taking photos. Im in the process of building an Airfix 1/48 scale Spitfire Ia. All Ive managed so far is the seat assembly and the instrument panel assembly. Both of which have needed modification due to oversized parts such as a control column that could reach the reflector sight and parts such as straps never being part of the kit. Its just 1 of 11 models I currently have to build.

For Russ and the Allfather

KilrMarshmalow #10 Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28874 battles

First entry is a WOT Special Ops favorite.  The Lunar Chaffee.  Built using Italeri 1/35 Scale WOT M24.  Checkerboard painted using masking tape and utilized some leftover decals from a 1/48 Scale FA18 Hornet.

Second Entry is an M3 Gun Motor Carriage by Dragon in 1/35 Scale.  Painted Flat Olive Drab with various shades of brown to try to simulate sand and dirt.

Last Entry is a kit from Hobby Boss 1/35 Scale T26E4 Pilot #1 Painted up like a Freedom.  Masking tape cut into a pattern for the flag effect paint job and eagle decals from the same FA18 Hornet model

Greywoolfe64 #11 Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12842 battles
  • [27PZR]

Cool contest! My entry is a 1/35th scale Matilda II Mk.III by Tamiya, that my son bought me this Christmas. I've been stuck indoors for the last month or so recovering from a heart attack, and building this model was very therapeutic. I'm currently working on an Airfix 1/76th scale diorama that my work colleagues bought me to pass the time while I recover, so I may make that one entry no.2 if I finish it on time!

This 'tilly was a challenge because it was the first time I used my airbrush on a smaller scale kit- I normally use it on my 1/16th scale RC vehicles. I had to mask and spray the Caunter camouflage, which was devilishly tricky around the engine deck! I went for very subtle weathering, which doesn't seem to have shown up in the photos, and put it on a scenic desert base to display. I'm really pleased by how the stowage turned out on the turret side. RaiBOT may be interested to know that the antenna wire on the tank is one of my cat's whiskers, that was shed some time earlier- it was the only thing thin and sturdy enough I could use for that purpose! Next time, I may add a bit more weathering when I make a build of this scale. Now- pics!

"Some say that he dines on lower glacis, and that he once spent three weeks hiding in a thick French bush. All we know is, he's called the Stug!"

Current garage (MOE's marked with star*) -click spoiler.

Spoiler

KilrMarshmalow #12 Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28874 battles
Nice

Goshism WGA #13 Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Community Coordinator

• Players
  • 722 battles
You all have done some amazing work! 

View PostKilrMarshmalow, on 05 February 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Now I need to ask. How were you able to get the red so clean? Normally when I use red it seems like no matter how many coats I put on, the undercoat always cuts through just like when working with yellow. 

KilrMarshmalow #14 Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28874 battles

View PostGoshism WGA, on 05 February 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

You all have done some amazing work!

Now I need to ask. How were you able to get the red so clean? Normally when I use red it seems like no matter how many coats I put on, the undercoat always cuts through just like when working with yellow.

To be honest, I was expecting it to come out "bleeding" into the white.  Things happened during the same time that this was being worked on that it actually sat for quite awhile in between colors.  Don't know if that helped at all or not.

Greywoolfe64 #15 Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12842 battles
  • [27PZR]

OK, here are my second and third entries. The second one is a T34/76 in 1/35th scale, by some obscure Chinese model company and basically a licensed copy of the Tamiya kit. I bought this while on honeymoon in Ukraine, and built it some years later. I'm really happy with how the weathering came out- the tank looks battered and very well used! The display base is a vacuum-formed kit by Ukrainian company Mini-Art, and was very tricky to assemble, cutting and trimming the pieces from sheet plastic. I'm happy with how it turned out, and I bought some more kits by them to display my 1/35th tanks on. The advertising column has miniature propaganda and film posters on it, from wartime USSR- the scene is painted to represent a war-torn street from my wife's home town of Zhitomir, Ukraine, which saw heavy fighting during 1942-43.

Sorry if the paper label isn't in full focus on some of the shots, I have a very fiddly small camera that has a mind of it's own when it comes to depth of field!

My third entry is displayed on the same base for now, and is a Tamiya Tiger 1, Mid-production model, as seen on the Russian front in 1943. Eventually, it will have it's own base made by the same company, and depict a different area of the same town during the fighting. This model took a long tome to build, as I had to add the zimmerit anti-magnetic paste coating before assembly, by way of adhesive sheets that had to be trimmed to shape. Also, I used a blotch-brush to simulate the sprayed-on camouflage. I'm pretty happy by how this one turned out. As well as the diorama I mentioned in the first post, I'm also working on the scenic base for the Tiger, as well as a German recon unit on another base, featuring a captured T-70 light tank and a Hanomag half-track. Here's the Tiger...

"Some say that he dines on lower glacis, and that he once spent three weeks hiding in a thick French bush. All we know is, he's called the Stug!"

Current garage (MOE's marked with star*) -click spoiler.

Spoiler

CkatBoyy13 #16 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2832 battles

Goshism! Sorry if you get some Spam, I just heard the Facebook accounts were merged, I thought I had done something wrong and was blocked after posting my entries, so if you get a bunch of emails, sorry, and hope you're feeling better.

That said Ill just upload my entries here!

1/35 Dragon Dickermax.

My favorite details are the rusting on the edges and the gun-shield armor, I think it has a really unique and distinguishable look to it!

One of the techniques I used was streaking with oil paints and an odorless thinner, essentially you drag oil paints thinned out with turpenoid to look like wet stains or rust. I didn't try much new on this kit because its one of my favorite, I wanted it to play it safe, as it was I rushed it a year prior building the lower hull and came back to it more experienced, so I guess in that regard I had new modeling experience.I didn't want to try any new paint schemes on this model because the history of the tank is so mystifying, I really wanted to just capture the last known photo of the last surviving Dickermax, really feel like it was abandoned or captured somewhere in rural Eastern Europe. Next time I would take my time, I was new to model building when I started, and rushing has no place in hobbies, its not a race!

27835411_10156150443012855_419849805_o.jpg

27947179_10156150443007855_322092214_o.jpg

27835450_10156150442872855_1585737916_o.jpg

Entry #2

Soviet T44, Miniart

My favorite details about this had to be the looted German soldier helmet, and the interior, also the cast marks on the turret. For this I tried the hairspray chipping technique, I gloss coated my tank with a basecolour somewhere rusty/bare metal looking, coated it in hairspray, painted the actual base colour over top (4bo green) and brushed with a variety of water wet brushes. I attempted to make my own antenna out of brass wire for this tank, apart from being tedious work, it was rewarding for me! Tips from this would be to research on scalemates or youtube before buying a kit, some kits like most miniart kits are for experienced builders, this kit came with thousands of pieces, hyper detailed brass PE components, it was intimidating. I considered doing something darker and more secretive, my research told me the T44 was a top secret tank still at the end of WWII, however there's just something mean about a Russian 4BO green. Next time Ill get a Brass PE bending tool set, the amount of broken brass bits and scars on my fingers is too high.

27781809_10156150442812855_1320427115_n.jpg

27848441_10156150442802855_500207274_n.jpg

27835698_10156150442847855_4211296_o.jpg

CkatBoyy13 #17 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:23 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2832 battles

For my #3rd entry!!

My Waffentrager Auf E-100

A mostly all custom build in 1/35. This ones for you Wargaming.

My favorite detail about this model is the gun-cover or gun-shield (turret), it was the one component I couldn't Frankenstein out of different kits, as nobody makes this kit (yet, Amusinghobby is looking to release one in august if anyone is interested) That said I had to trace the armor and all its complex angles off my T.V screen, scale it, and replicate it from scratch using 1mm plastic polystyrene sheets. Scratchbuilding was the new technique of the build for me, even the hull/chassis and gun, were made from Takoms 2023 kit Flak 40 Zwilling (butchered down to one usable canon, scratch modified to have an autoloader and gunners seats). The chassis had to be cut up, re worked and scaled to accommodate the large gun. The chassis was the Trumpeter E-100 kit# 00384. To really set it off I used Trumpeters workable plastic tracks, which for anyone interested is a few long hours of eye popping mini part madness, bring your own coffee.  For paint, I wanted to make it look as close to the screen as possible, the funny story was I made myself grind out for the tank in game as I was building from scratch, I was hoping to finish both at the same time, but it turns out modeling was far more complicated and tedious, though equally as rewarding. My advise to anyone out there, is if you like a special tank to this game, be it controversial or plain, challenge yourself to make it as a model, Ive built many premium tanks in 1/35 now, and I had a lot of fun, which is more importantly my tip, which is have fun, rivot counting is a neat part of the hobby, but just like the game itself, the real point is to win (please don't look at my stats haha).... er have the other tanks explode.... er have fun (most important). I would do nothing differently, in fact this has led me on a war path, next stop is the Czech line of tanks, T40 here I come (thanks to wargaming wiki for posting real schematics)

27906618_10156150442722855_1884497807_o.jpg

27901453_10156150442727855_1189668506_o.jpg

27901094_10156150442752855_1228258232_o.jpg

NinetyMIKE #18 Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17513 battles

View PostCkatBoyy13, on 07 February 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

For my #3rd entry!!

My Waffentrager Auf E-100

A mostly all custom build in 1/35. This ones for you Wargaming.

My favorite detail about this model is the gun-cover or gun-shield (turret), it was the one component I couldn't Frankenstein out of different kits, as nobody makes this kit (yet, Amusinghobby is looking to release one in august if anyone is interested) That said I had to trace the armor and all its complex angles off my T.V screen, scale it, and replicate it from scratch using 1mm plastic polystyrene sheets. Scratchbuilding was the new technique of the build for me, even the hull/chassis and gun, were made from Takoms 2023 kit Flak 40 Zwilling (butchered down to one usable canon, scratch modified to have an autoloader and gunners seats). The chassis had to be cut up, re worked and scaled to accommodate the large gun. The chassis was the Trumpeter E-100 kit# 00384. To really set it off I used Trumpeters workable plastic tracks, which for anyone interested is a few long hours of eye popping mini part madness, bring your own coffee.  For paint, I wanted to make it look as close to the screen as possible, the funny story was I made myself grind out for the tank in game as I was building from scratch, I was hoping to finish both at the same time, but it turns out modeling was far more complicated and tedious, though equally as rewarding. My advise to anyone out there, is if you like a special tank to this game, be it controversial or plain, challenge yourself to make it as a model, Ive built many premium tanks in 1/35 now, and I had a lot of fun, which is more importantly my tip, which is have fun, rivot counting is a neat part of the hobby, but just like the game itself, the real point is to win (please don't look at my stats haha).... er have the other tanks explode.... er have fun (most important). I would do nothing differently, in fact this has led me on a war path, next stop is the Czech line of tanks, T40 here I come (thanks to wargaming wiki for posting real schematics)

27906618_10156150442722855_1884497807_o.jpg

27901453_10156150442727855_1189668506_o.jpg

27901094_10156150442752855_1228258232_o.jpg

View PostCkatBoyy13, on 07 February 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Goshism! Sorry if you get some Spam, I just heard the Facebook accounts were merged, I thought I had done something wrong and was blocked after posting my entries, so if you get a bunch of emails, sorry, and hope you're feeling better.

That said Ill just upload my entries here!

1/35 Dragon Dickermax.

My favorite details are the rusting on the edges and the gun-shield armor, I think it has a really unique and distinguishable look to it!

One of the techniques I used was streaking with oil paints and an odorless thinner, essentially you drag oil paints thinned out with turpenoid to look like wet stains or rust. I didn't try much new on this kit because its one of my favorite, I wanted it to play it safe, as it was I rushed it a year prior building the lower hull and came back to it more experienced, so I guess in that regard I had new modeling experience.I didn't want to try any new paint schemes on this model because the history of the tank is so mystifying, I really wanted to just capture the last known photo of the last surviving Dickermax, really feel like it was abandoned or captured somewhere in rural Eastern Europe. Next time I would take my time, I was new to model building when I started, and rushing has no place in hobbies, its not a race!

27835411_10156150443012855_419849805_o.jpg

27947179_10156150443007855_322092214_o.jpg

27835450_10156150442872855_1585737916_o.jpg

Entry #2

Soviet T44, Miniart

My favorite details about this had to be the looted German soldier helmet, and the interior, also the cast marks on the turret. For this I tried the hairspray chipping technique, I gloss coated my tank with a basecolour somewhere rusty/bare metal looking, coated it in hairspray, painted the actual base colour over top (4bo green) and brushed with a variety of water wet brushes. I attempted to make my own antenna out of brass wire for this tank, apart from being tedious work, it was rewarding for me! Tips from this would be to research on scalemates or youtube before buying a kit, some kits like most miniart kits are for experienced builders, this kit came with thousands of pieces, hyper detailed brass PE components, it was intimidating. I considered doing something darker and more secretive, my research told me the T44 was a top secret tank still at the end of WWII, however there's just something mean about a Russian 4BO green. Next time Ill get a Brass PE bending tool set, the amount of broken brass bits and scars on my fingers is too high.

27781809_10156150442812855_1320427115_n.jpg

27848441_10156150442802855_500207274_n.jpg

27835698_10156150442847855_4211296_o.jpg

Excellent work !  :great:

Goshism WGA #19 Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Community Coordinator

• Players
  • 722 battles

View PostCkatBoyy13, on 07 February 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Still alive and kicking. No need to worry, I got all your entries locked in and I appreciate your dedication to get them submitted.

To everyone else. I am attempting to re-post the #ModelKit Contest on Facebook again but may take a bit due to reasons but rest assured that anyone that has submitted their entries on the original Facebook post has been saved. Once the re-post is up, you can submit there or on the forums if you haven't submitted any entries yet.

Corporal Derpy #20 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20439 battles
  • [KMD]

I was debating between whether to do the M48A2GA2 I did back in the day or the BT-42. I ended up settling on the Patton with the a bit too long name because it has a more entertaining backstory than the 42 which I just got at Tankfest.

Spoiler

The backstory. 

So I had to go all the way to bloody Keswick to get this thing, because Carlisle has no good model stores around and the only one with any actual amount of them is purely Airfix. With this one being 1/35 Revell I believe. Model stores were all I really went looking for because the alternative was your preference of walking boot stores, and I really only found this one a few days before we planned to leave.

Thus we headed out on the last trip of the holiday, but my brother had nothing he wanted to do so he stayed home. It went fine up until we finally got off at the town where the store was at, when we received a phone call from the School caretaker. What had happened was that my brother had heard someone in the house, no idea who it was and believed it to be a burglar, however he possessed no means to directly contact us and instead contacted the caretaker that was friends with the family, to instead contact us about the situation. Leading to us having to separate and just wait to hear what the situation was.

A good 30 or so minutes later we did finally learn that it was all just a false alarm and all was well, but it was certainly the most eventful time I've ever purchased a Model Kit in.

The Model itself.

The model is that of an M48A2GA2, from Revell at 1/35 Scale, cost me like 28 quid which was rather cheap.

I'm not a great model maker and I do think that shows, I got bored one day and just picked it up starting with all the Airfix 1/76 tiny as hell ones and even to this day I don't possess all the fancy tools for it like the whole weathering business or heating to get tracks to stick together. Truth be told I haven't done a model since the BT-42 since I've just never really bothered to sit down and get to it despite having the time to do so.

However I do think with all of the ones I've done, this one was the best I've ever managed. And that kind of happened accidentally.

Favourite Detail.

Now if I were to pick a favourite detail of it, it isn't all too visible in the image but I had 'Patton Pansy' wrote on the right cheek.

Where that came from was that a friend from PC had been playing the M48 on the Test Server all those years ago and earned himself the nickname from that, so I went in the entire build with the intent to have that nickname on the tank. I've done a lot of my Models with that kind of idea and I've probably got like only one or two that are a bit 'historical'. Costliest model kit I had bought at that time, not to mention the biggest and I had it solely for a bit a joke between friends.

Even this one I think has a bit of the wrong paint scheme with a yellow instead of a light brown for the German Army camouflage that I did for it.

The Painting.

I'm not sure if you would call it a technique, but when I was doing the camouflage for it, I only used the Black and Yellow. The whole Green part came from the base colour of the parts themselves which at the time was something I hadn't done before since this was one of the first Models I did that wasn't Airfix where the base colour was a bit too evident.

I still kept up building most of it beforehand, but unlike those in the past I actually did make sure to do some of the far more finicky parts like the wheels so that it wouldn't be such a pain to try to do them later with the tracks on and all, and some of the far more smaller bits such as the MG weren't added until the camouflage was done. But I preferred to do that with the hull and the turret mostly put together so it was easier to have them look like they fit.

It is still one of my more unique ones in the fact it actually has a camouflage, let alone a half-decent looking one, because before and after it I've almost always kept my tank models having just a single colour since I've never truly been invested in the historical aspect nor expect to be good at making the camouflages look believable.

I didn't try to do any other schemes for it when I had it although prior to the actual build I was debating whether to do it with the German camouflage that it ended up with, or the JGSDF Brown that would have been a single colour, but I never had that kind of brown back then so that wasn't an option.

Would I do anything differently if I did it again?

Well I don't really think I'll be going and getting another 1/35 Patton any time soon as I've still got like 8 Models from Tankfest and one I've had for over 3 years that I need to get around to beforehand.

But certainly if I suddenly awoke one day and found another one of the kits sat in front of me, I'd get around to doing the JGSDF Brown I didn't do this time around, and maybe then I'd actually have the tools to make the tank look a bit more weathered and have the tracks actually joined together they way they are supposed to be instead of just heavy amounts of the poly-cement.

Garage : 

'Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of morons who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.'

'The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. The players aren't really doing anything, something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

Also tagged with model, tank, contest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users