• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Cowboy Torry #1 Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2260 battles

just a little war story

Standard Battle on Malinovka.

I am in a M3 Stuart our side holds the top side of the map.  Every body holds his ground, let the enemy come to us.

Luckily for us the enemy does not attack in groups.  One by one they try to push through, only to be shot to piece.

But there haphazard attacks do destroy our tanks.  Suddenly we are only left with artillery, a medium tank and me.  A loud explosion erupts as the artillery goes up in flames.  A lone enemy tank has flanked us and is moving towards the flag.  The medium tank and me take him out, but my friendly medium tank is destroyed in the process.

My own tank is badly damaged, one more hit and I am gone. But the  enemy forces are also depleted.  They only have an artillery piece and one tank destroyer left.

Too much damaged for an attack, I decide to stand my ground and protect the flag.  All the enemy has to do is wait for the timer.  With more kills they would have won.

but instead i spot the artillery going for our flag. Two shells later and its nothing more then a burning wreck.  I realize the remaining tank destroyer must be out there.

using the terrain to mask my battered hull I detect the Tank destroyer.  I shoot, a hit.  He shoots misses me. I shoot and hit him again. His second shot misses.  I fire two more rounds before he can reload.  My second shot turns the destroyer into a huge ball of flames.  I, no we have won.

From the brink of defeat I stood my ground and manage to snatch victory from the enemies hands!

Boy do i love this game

Pterodaryl #2 Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Private

• Players
  • 690 battles

Nice! I've had a couple of those MVP moments. Fun read.

xobx101 #3 Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 1248 battles
That must've been awesome. I too have had some cool "Last man standing" moments. A lot usually ended up with me cliff diving and missing that last enemy by inches and then getting blown to bits. But hey, long as you have fun doing it!

Kaboost #4 Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13379 battles

Just to let you know for a future battle if the timer runs out on standard or encounter it is a draw no matter what, even if it's 15v1. Also good game.

Lights tanks need love

​give them back thier view range and buff traverse speeds

Savage13 #5 Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 688 battles
For me it hasn't been ending quite as well.  I'll be in my TD hammering away at a heavy, kill him and look up to see we are outnumbered 13 to one, with me being the one.  I say and expletive into my mic as I realize my situation and cant help but be dumbfounded that all of my team mates are dead within 2-3 minutes and I'm being attacked from three directions.  I may take out one more before getting tracked and pounced on like a cow in a piranha infested stream, getting top of my teams board with 2 kills and a defeat.  It's sad.  I don't know how this happens, but it has more than once, typically on Mines or Mountain Pass. 

King Erasmus #6 Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22925 battles
  • [TRAX]

Mines (Encounter) - The Story of my De Langlade's Medal

I was in my Vk 36.01 H for this match.  It was a tier 6 match and I was the only tier 6 on my team.  The other team had one as well, a Jumbo.  As soon as the match began I threw up markers indicating the encounter base to the North of our starting position.  As is the norm on Mines Encounter no one went there with me.  Except one.  He was in a Pz.Kpfw. 38 (t) n.A. and we were the first to make it to the base.  I positioned myself beside the building across the road from the church and the 38 n.A. positioned himself ahead of me at the next building.  Our cover was adequate for a crossfire.  Our entry alerted the other team to the match type however and they turned to engage us.  Our team was getting torn to shreds on the hill leaving the other team a clear entry to the base!  When the first enemy entered the base I marked him and fired my 88 dealing massive damage to the targeted M3 Lee.  The n.A. took a couple of shots and felled him before I could reload.  The next enemy was a StuGIII.  When he entered I marked him and fired.  The n.A. moved into position beside the StuG and fired.  Shortly thereafter the enemy fell silent like the last.  By the gun of the brave 38 (t) n.A.  However, he was in the open for too long and soon found himself against the enemy Jumbo.  I tried to help my team mate, but he was no match for the might of our enemy. 

When the Jumbo turned to face me he had already lost half his health to my 88.  He was not pleased.  As fast as my gun would load I would fire at his machine gun in his front armor.  He did not angle his tank and I did.  Some of his shots bounced whereas the majority of them kept me tracked.  I suppose he was waiting for backup - which was on its' way.  I was able to smite my foe just before the first of his reinforcements arrived.  Using my cover I took the fight to my new opponents - numbering 5 against me.  I do not recall what three of them were (except mediums), but two were heavies.  A T1 Heavy and a Churchill I. 

The Churchill I was the first to come against me.  He came around the building the 38 n.A. had used and I tracked him before his gun sight came to rest on me.  A medium then came from in front of me then and fired.  His shot did minimal damage and caused no failures or casualties.  When he fell back the Churchill was just starting to move again and I fired at him when I was able to.  My 88 ripped through his hull and lit his funeral pyre.  He was destroyed shortly thereafter. 

The medium then drew my attention. 

I backed up and he took the bait!  He rounded the building to find my gun ready once more.  My first shot ripped through his hull, damaging his engine.  Deciding not to retreat he pushed against me.  His tenacity was most admirable, but the effort was futile.  He could not penetrate my hull and he fell with another shot.  Before he was dispatched another medium came up from the other side of the building.  How could I have missed him!?  He parked himself on my right and shot the side of my turret, killing my commander.  When I turned my gun to him he fired once more, hitting my hull and killing my driver.  When my 88 roared his tank was no more.  I had destroyed his ammo rack. 

My final opponent was the T1 Heavy on the other side of the base.  When I pulled out from behind the building he turned his gun to face me.  His first shot bounced off my hull.  It was then that I realized his gun was the stock 75mm.  He stood and fought as a heavy should!  Without hesitation.  Without fear!  This was a magnificent heavy tanker!  We each shot the other multiple times.  He dealt significant damage to my tank and I left his smoldering. 

I stayed at the base as the rest of both teams fought over the hill and the island.  No one paying attention to the base being captured.  When I captured the base my team was confused.  "Did one of our guys get into their base when they weren't looking?" one asked.  He was answered with inane babble about how they owned the other team.  If only they knew of the brave 38 (t) n.A.'s sacrifice and the battle endured for "their" victory.

At the end I was awarded the De Langlade's Medal as well as Sniper, Steel Wall, and other accolades.

From two to one.  I stood my ground, unyielding, until victory was won.

Tired of certain elements here?  Try http://thebunker.freeforums.net.

Pooty Poots #7 Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4052 battles

Played a game today in Province in a Marder II. Camped out in the southwest corner near our spawn and took pot shots at enemy tanks spotted on the opposing ridge just south of the building with the courtyard or directly across from my position. We got down by a few kills really early, and it didn't get much better after that. Eventually the other team started making a push with two light tanks up onto and south down the ridge to my left/north. Three of our tanks (two TDs and a light) responded with the result being 1 enemy light left and all three of ours dead. Was waiting for him when he crested the hill to my left a bit further up the ridge and dropped him with one lucky shot (fired before the optics were zoomed all the way in). Two enemy TDs and a medium are left against my Marder and artillery with 9 minutes on the clock. I return to my camping spot in the grove in the southwest corner of the map overlooking our flag. My teammate either opts to spot for me, or YOLO his way to down the center of the valley to cap. He dies quickly. I sit tight and patiently wait while dead teammates urge me to leave my position to fight or cap against a 3-1 advantage. Not gonna do it.

I have camo net and am pretty well concealed with a good view at our flag as well as the opposing ridge and the valley. My only weak spot in the Marder is to my left along the ridge I'm on to the north. If they knew roughly where I was they could easily roll at me at full speed and hammer me before I could turn my gun and get a shot off, but the gamble is that they'll be much more timid given my number of kills and general uncertainty so in all likelihood I'll probably spot them first as they cautiously approach. Fortunately they never attempt this. The medium is the first to attempt to cap. He rolls out from between southern row of houses in the center of the valley. I take aim and he dies without spotting me. Two enemies left. I wait patiently.

The next is a TD attempting to make his way down the dirt road on the ridge across from me in the southeast corner of the map. Two shots and he also dies without seeing me. One enemy left, I resume waiting patiently.

The last enemy is in a Panzerjager and I'm in my Marder. I should have an advantage if we spot each other at the same time assuming that we're both pointing in the same direction. His gun is more accurate and reloads faster, but mine hits harder. It never comes to that. Lucky for me that he's probably new at the game, because I spot him wedged on the opposing cliff and completely stuck with his backside almost vertical in the air. My best guess is that he thought he would try to slide down the hill (at the steepest point no less) and either gain a unique firing position on the rocks sticking out from the cliff (why?) or cap our flag without going all the way down the curved road.

He also dies without seeing me.  

For reference

http://wiki.worldoft...81/Province.jpg

Zvika Force

"When we go into battle we play music very loud...scares the hell out of people." 

Pooty Poots #8 Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4052 battles

View PostSavage13, on 17 February 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

For me it hasn't been ending quite as well.  I'll be in my TD hammering away at a heavy, kill him and look up to see we are outnumbered 13 to one, with me being the one.  I say and expletive into my mic as I realize my situation and cant help but be dumbfounded that all of my team mates are dead within 2-3 minutes and I'm being attacked from three directions.  I may take out one more before getting tracked and pounced on like a cow in a piranha infested stream, getting top of my teams board with 2 kills and a defeat.  It's sad.  I don't know how this happens, but it has more than once, typically on Mines or Mountain Pass. 

I'm guessing that its those two maps due to how the terrain forces your vehicles to bottleneck, thus making targets more closely grouped and easier to shoot. A more experienced tanker is going to sit in cover and take his shots while your teammates attempt to maneuver around like an action movie and quickly die.

Cliffs is another one for the same reason. Those maps really emphasize the importance of knowing how to play with your given tank class. The first time I played with the Tiger heavy tank I unlocked yesterday a teammate in a T14 talked me into following him and another heavy up onto the plateau (MISTAKE!!!). Problem is my tiger was significantly slower than their two tanks so they and the rest of the team quickly ascended the hill and pulled away leaving me rumbling on behind. A medium Pz (not sure which one) pops out and tracks me from the side. He and a churchhill that shows up late to the party pump shots into my exposed side while I try to do as much damage as I can. One of them gets a lucky shot that ignites a fire in my tank. I have no extinguisher, and that's the end of the game for my Tiger. Never again. 

Zvika Force

"When we go into battle we play music very loud...scares the hell out of people." 

BitaMyMeata #9 Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4485 battles
So I was on Malinovka with my slightly upgraded VK 30.01 h and I was the one person on the town side of the map. So I pushed carefully up past those buildings that most people hide behind and into their spawn point. Then  look at the bar that shows how many people are left and It is 1 to 5. me v 4 T1 heavies and an arty. I spot the arty and take him out, 4 to one, a T1 decides to take a shot and it bounces so i track him and shoot at his back, destroying him, then another T1 takes a shot and destroys my tracks I shoot at his engine and it catches fire, destroying him. Next i see that they are caping the flag so I try to snipe them. I hit one of them and destroy his turret and then kill him.1v1, he gets a shot into me and takes out my turret. I have already used my repair kit for my track so I turn my tank and aim like that.Finally, 2 seconds before the game is over I kill him

I've improved!

OneSpike #10 Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 6738 battles

I talked about this battle before, but on Sand River, I was at the south base behind the rocks in a T40.  I got a couple of long range shots and kills at OPFOR either on top of the middle cliff or coming through the middle village.  I started trading shots with an AT2 on the middle cliff, and realized with my gun it was hopeless.

I backed down from the crest as a heavy and a Lee broke through the village and started driving south towards the back entrance to our base.  I hit the heavy, and he hit me - dropping me by 50%.  The only other tank left on my team took out the Lee, but died at the gun of the T1.  It was me vs. the heavy, the AT2 and another medium.  I decided rather than lose my silver I was going to dive into the water just to the north of our base and let the game end.  Once I saw that they were capping our base, I turned patriot.  I drove out of the water and up the back road to our base.  I spotted the T1 first, and shot him in the butt.  He shot back and hit the ground, and I finished him off.

I decided that I didn't want to face the AT2 and the medium, so I took that same road away from my base and started running the trench towards the village and their base.  Just as I was coming to the village, I spotted the AT2.  I stopped to look - he had driven off the cliff and was stuck with his butt in the air and unable to elevate his gun.  I started putting rounds into his engine deck and stripping him of HP.  Halfway done, the medium showed up right above him - trying to hide behind a rock but giving me a perfect side shot on his hull.  I hit him 3 times, he missed me once.  He died.  Now I wondered, should I leave the AT2 and try to cap their base with 2:00 left?  No, the chance to shoot an immobile OPFOR tank was too tempting.  Three more shots and we won.  I'm sure the rest of my team who died after 2 minutes were shocked to see a win in their stats!

Dakiras WG #11 Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 85 battles
Because of this thread, I've created a new forum for these very kinds of stories. Thanks for the idea and keep the stories coming.

HighSpyker #12 Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33044 battles
  • [IRN]
I was the last one alive on a match on Mines yesterday.  My AT-15 was parked on the little hill to the side of our spawn.  I was there, addressing targets with another couple of units, until I realized we were the only ones alive- and then it was just me.  I saw OPFOR converging, and turned to face our base, backing up so I couldn't be shot in the left side...I hoped to be able to defeat them in detail as they came up thr hill after me.  A JPII was first, and I knew he was the biggest threat.  I hit him, but didn't stop him, and he used his speed to slip past me and pin me to the rock wall while I struggled to free myself.  A doughty little M5 Stuart charged me, ramming my front for absolutely no damage to me, and staying glued to my face.  I erased him with a 20 pounder shell, bemoaning spending 680 credits to swat a gnat.  The JPII finally took me out, but I was still laughing about the little light tank who "thought he could".

LemonMarlin #13 Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5805 battles

View PostSavage13, on 17 February 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

This. Many times.

~http://i.imgur.com/HR8v6r6.png

mdvirata0211 #14 Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 15206 battles

Surviving Malinkova in my Lolitractor

Last Saturday, I thought I’d take my Lolitractor – (Bridgette) for a drive to get some X2 for the day. To my surprise- matchmaker decided to put me in a Tier II match.  Green Team was on the southern tip of the map.- with the little pond to the right. Quickly performed a situation assessment. Red team had:  2  SPG, 3 T18s- handful of Pz 35s and PzIIs….and as I was the only tier 1 on Green team, Red team had a Vickers Medium as its Tier 1 tank. Most of the other tanks can either out maneuver or chew me up as a snack.

Before I  can move… My whole team (sans me) performed a Banzai Charge across the open field!  Have you ever seen a the movie Galipolli? Everyone (including the SPGs) charged straight across Needless to say Red team had a turkey shoot with only losing 3 tanks. In less than 2 minutes… all that was left of Green team were four survivors of the charge and me. By now I have moved behind some shrubbery on the slope by the pond.  Sensing blood…Red team decided it was their turn to go over the top. Red team charged… Straight across they came I was firing and requesting fire on every target I can sight .Since I was Oblique to the charge, I was able to KO 2 tanks and track several others.

Bridgette was not armed with the QF 2cm gun but rather the 3.7CM Gun. Bounced a lot of shots of a T18.and both T57s. The close in action was now about to begin. OPFOR tanks has broken through on the opposite side by the water ’edge. I positioned Bridgette behind the windmill as the confused point blank battle began. Knowing that I could more likely bounce my shots,I aimed for the tracks and stopped tanks from flanking the valiant defenders. As the firing died down, All that remains ofthe combatants  were Bridgette and a T57. With ½ HP left, Bridgette charged the T57. The T57  in turn also charged… but I was able to get the first shot  and T 57 was KO.  For this battle

Bridgette was awarded the following:

Nadyn’s Medal, Defender, Confederate and 5 kills.

Bridgette’s equipment  load out was:

Binoc, camo,  Small repair, Small Aid kit, Manual fire extinguisher

Edited by mdvirata0211, 18 February 2014 - 08:48 PM.

Strage #15 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6683 battles

View PostDakiras WG, on 18 February 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

Because of this thread, I've created a new forum for these very kinds of stories. Thanks for the idea and keep the stories coming.

it said its locked. as for my story, it was back in the beta I was a tier 3 or 4 American arty. I got 14 kills, and my team lost! both the worst and best game I ever did lol. my teammates kept losing as I was getting kills trying to save them, I got all the kill shots unintentionally. when my team were all dead it was 3 enemies and me. one rushed me and I shot him in TD mode then the last two rushed me I got one in td mode and the other killed me while I was reloading.

other then this the most kills I have ever gotten in a game is like 8 or 9 so this was my best game, my teammates unable to kill even 1 guy also made this my worst. makes for a good story tho

another less interesting story one game I was in a mitilda (tier 4 brit tank) I killed 1 scout and my whole team was gone 7 enemies left  only 30 sec into the game. the enemy attacked my base 1 or 2 at a time I would have to go back, kill 1 or two, then attack, kill one or two, go back, attack, go back, and attack again. I was like a yo-yo! end of the game I won, with 8 kills. shows that even if you outnumber a enemy teamwork is still important!

I don't need to get a life. I'm a Gamer, I have LOT'S of lives! :bush:

Dakiras WG #16 Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 85 battles

Whoops, my bad. I splatted my face against the keyboard and apparently didn't setup the right permissions. They should be sorted now! Thanks for letting me know.

Also, sorry for the off-topic/derailing of the thread. Go nuts!

MATANUIalive #17 Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 682 battles

there was one particularly memorable battle I was in, I was in a British TD (I believe it was a Valentine AT) on Malinovka I was the last one left on the team after several of us had made a charge towards the 'neutral' base, I had reasonable HP  as I was behind everyone else in the charge due to the dismal top speed of the valantine, so I waited on a hill 'nearby' and decided to snipe them out as they went near the neutral base managed to kill a couple of then before another used the carcass of one dead tank for protection, whilst we exchange shots hoping to hit one another, this went on for FIVE BLOODY MINUTES before I bit the dust, if the player that killed me that time is reading this then all I have to say is well done, it was actually impressed when you finally killed me, have a +preferred alcoholic beverage+ on me :great:

out come of this, I scored the most kills in that match

Edited by MATANUIalive, 23 February 2014 - 10:43 PM.

BossHogg5576 #18 Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 5299 battles

My story

Sand River Standard 
so I take my usual spot on the the ridge. Not exciting only a couple enemy's come destroy them. T hen I reposition on ridge above the village. I spot two tigers in the dunes. An upgraded one and one stock. They also spot me. I decided the upgraded one needed to go first. So I start sending ap down range into his sides he begins to return fire but I was in a hull down position and backing out of view in between shots. I get him down to about 300 hp and final backs behind cover the other tiger then start to move on my position so I put 2 in his lower hull (as this is happening first tiger makes a run for it so put two more in two him to put him out of his misery. The second tiger is now starting to climb my side of the ridge (to late to run). I reposition to angle my armor towards him and put one in his commander cupola. He keeps coming I put another in his lower hull. He shot me and I got him one more time (we are 30 yards apart) he bounces a shot and I notice I have 2 hp left. So I gun it and drive to his right and he misses a shot. I shot him in the rear. He turn his turret towards me so I swing a round to his  left and finish him off.  Most intense 3 mins ever heart was still pounding after the match was over.

http://theveterans.boards.net

LordGrayHawk #19 Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 10206 battles

As has been said, no evidence (pix, medals....), it's all here say.  Kind of like being at the American Legion on a Friday night.  All very good stories though.

:sceptic:

To excellence through effort

Capt Lessley #20 Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 14361 battles

Just had a nice last stand in my JP II. 

Map: Mines          Gametype: Encounter

It was me in my JP II (second to last pack, the pack before the 12,8) against a Tiger I (thankfully only the short 88) and I was down to my HE rounds. I had the cap at about 70 then he decides to roll up on me. He got a nice shot into my soft underbelly, leaving me with less than 100 HP. Then I decided to hide behind a Jagdtiger body, to protect myself. He rolls up and bounces off my MG port on the front plate (probably with the help of the great random) and I hit him in the turret with an HE. Then he decides to try flank I think, but before he could roll up again, and HE to the commander's hatch would finish him off. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users