Auto Loader Glass Cannon Heavy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

STUART SHERMAN #1 Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40958 battles
  • [FLT]

I first ran into this tank quite a while ago, and completely sucked with it. I convinced myself it was a crap tank anyway, promptly sold it, and didn't look back. As it turns out I was a complete Potato, and didn't take time to find out how to get the most out of this fragile beauty. 

In the upcoming Tank Madness match I'm prob going to play France as I already have AMX 13 90, and ELC, so I figured I'd find another TT to use with them. It came down to this or Arty, and I always feel a little dirty playing Click boomers. 

I'm on a quest to become a better teammate, and I've spent some time and effort trying to educate myself in general with the help of forumer's, and thru watching videos. So I'm taking this as a challenge to git gud at a tank that is about as far outside my comfort zone as they get. I did some research, and I'm trying to apply the information I've found. 

First match, I stood still too long and was promptly nuked by arty. I'd been warned about this, you will be an arty magnet in this tank, my bad.

Second match, First thing I attempted to play peek-a-boom and was ripped to pieces by the several full health Reds to whom I'd foolishly exposed myself. 

Third match, I'm playing more cautiously. As I'm lurking around, a Red T49 comes ripping over the hill hell bent. I get him once, then track him, he uses repair kit but I hit 'em again, and one more puts him away. A minute later, I'm back to the front with a full clip just in time to catch a full health M103 trying to retreat. It took five shots, the last of which was a slim target disappearing behind a hill, lovely. Greens go on to a landslide win. I end up with 3 frags, and finish 3rd in a tier X match. 

The highs, and lows with this tank are pretty extreme. Team mates look at you and wonder why your "Heavy" isn't out front pushing. I guess I should expect to get some hate mail while driving her, but from what I've been seeing it's not even really a second line tank. More like a medium with some speed, that needs to survive for as long as possible to take advantage of her 12 seconds of absolute destruction. I'm looking forward to the long grind with her, and any further advice is very welcome from someone that "gets" this tank. 

"Stop it with all the negative waves..."    Oddball

radonism #2 Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 17077 battles

I feel exactly the same about it. It can be extremely strong or get ripped apart in moment if you take a wrong turn or over extend. I do really like the tank and do OK in it, but prefer, say, the Lorraine due to the ability to relocate during a re-load. The 50-100 is quick-ish, but not exactly lightning fast and is easy hunted down by meds and lights. Armour is nothing. 

To tips... well, I like to run mine with optics (as rammer isn't an option), along with vents and vert stabs. That gives nice view range to keep the non auto-loading heavies at a distance and helps the gun handling. As with all auto loaders, sneaking in as an assassin is the trick. Love popping round behind a corner brawling and deal the huge clip burst damage and swing the battle in greens favour. It rams arty and lights quite well too!!

FeelingLotus #3 Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4083 battles
I really enjoy the tank so far. Just got the second  upgrade pack, certainly have to adjust your play style for that 50 second reload. I play it more like a medium, it certainly is not a front line brawler, even in a tier 8 match. And yes arty drool when they see one. Going to be a while before the 50 120 so I'll enjoy the extra 2 rounds in the drum for now :justwait:

Red-Tide__02 #4 Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9807 battles
I didn't use it properly either. I'll definitely revisit it as if anything I was too tentative in it, I rarely got to unload the full clip into anyone. My French crew wasn't great at the time either but its decent now.

loki131313 #5 Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25536 battles

I loved the 50-100 when I played it. Just remember- no brawling.

The key is never to over-extend, and always engage when you have a way of escaping for that long reload. If you're out on your own, your dead. But played judiciously, this thing is a beast. 

STUART SHERMAN #6 Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40958 battles
  • [FLT]

View Postloki131313, on 06 March 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

I loved the 50-100 when I played it. Just remember- no brawling.

The key is never to over-extend, and always engage when you have a way of escaping for that long reload. If you're out on your own, your dead. But played judiciously, this thing is a beast. 

This, but that's why it's challenging for me. I generally play brawlers, or snipers, and this one is neither of these. I'm trying to adapt my play to its strengths as a pop up killer, and late round assassin. Retreat/relocate, are frequent tactics, that can really pay off. It's finding that mid range shot that seems to be the trick. I'm still on the learning curve, but now I understand the concept, I hope. 

:rolleyes:

fragglecommand #7 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13600 battles
Like most auto loaders it's a tank that becomes more dangerous the further the battle progresses.

So my advice would be preserve your health for first half of battle and assassinate in the second half.

Off course always keep friendly's close by for that reload and communicate your reload as well. I was surprised how often a friendly would take on the protecter role. Good players appreciate how devastating a fully loaded auto loader is to their team.

Gun can be a bit troll sometimes . Very difficult to get a full clip of damage, always a wayward shell or a stupid bounce.

Good tank though....have fun. 120 is a beast as well

STUART SHERMAN #8 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40958 battles
  • [FLT]

View Postsistone, on 06 March 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

I feel exactly the same about it. It can be extremely strong or get ripped apart in moment if you take a wrong turn or over extend. I do really like the tank and do OK in it, but prefer, say, the Lorraine due to the ability to relocate during a re-load. The 50-100 is quick-ish, but not exactly lightning fast and is easy hunted down by meds and lights. Armour is nothing. 

To tips... well, I like to run mine with optics (as rammer isn't an option), along with vents and vert stabs. That gives nice view range to keep the non auto-loading heavies at a distance and helps the gun handling. As with all auto loaders, sneaking in as an assassin is the trick. Love popping round behind a corner brawling and deal the huge clip burst damage and swing the battle in greens favour. It rams arty and lights quite well too!!

It's the reload time that usually gets me in trouble. I seem to almost be able to keep up with a Motherland over open ground. Just fast enough to get there in time to help, but not be the first one to arrive. Last night she absolutely owned an O-Ni when I waited for them to fire at someone else, then nailed them during their long reload. Fun!

Ive not had the courage to ram anything, other than a desperate act of last resort. I'm so afraid I'll break it. 

I'm running stabs, GLD, and toolbox. My crew has 6th, BiA, and working on Mentor. 

STUART SHERMAN #9 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40958 battles
  • [FLT]

View Postfragglecommand, on 06 March 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Like most auto loaders it's a tank that becomes more dangerous the further the battle progresses.

So my advice would be preserve your health for first half of battle and assassinate in the second half.

Off course always keep friendly's close by for that reload and communicate your reload as well. I was surprised how often a friendly would take on the protecter role. Good players appreciate how devastating a fully loaded auto loader is to their team.

Gun can be a bit troll sometimes . Very difficult to get a full clip of damage, always a wayward shell or a stupid bounce.

Good tank though....have fun. 120 is a beast as well

Thanks, I'm all over that reload comm., and I've found the same about some team mates. I had a round where an Emil II, and I took turns firing and reloading. They were living the same life I was and naturally got it, but I don't think many people realize how long the reload on this one really is. 

pr0fit0fcanabis #10 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41022 battles

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 06 March 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

I first ran into this tank quite a while ago, and completely sucked with it. I convinced myself it was a crap tank anyway, promptly sold it, and didn't look back. As it turns out I was a complete Potato, and didn't take time to find out how to get the most out of this fragile beauty. 

In the upcoming Tank Madness match I'm prob going to play France as I already have AMX 13 90, and ELC, so I figured I'd find another TT to use with them. It came down to this or Arty, and I always feel a little dirty playing Click boomers. 

I'm on a quest to become a better teammate, and I've spent some time and effort trying to educate myself in general with the help of forumer's, and thru watching videos. So I'm taking this as a challenge to git gud at a tank that is about as far outside my comfort zone as they get. I did some research, and I'm trying to apply the information I've found. 

First match, I stood still too long and was promptly nuked by arty. I'd been warned about this, you will be an arty magnet in this tank, my bad.

Second match, First thing I attempted to play peek-a-boom and was ripped to pieces by the several full health Reds to whom I'd foolishly exposed myself. 

Third match, I'm playing more cautiously. As I'm lurking around, a Red T49 comes ripping over the hill hell bent. I get him once, then track him, he uses repair kit but I hit 'em again, and one more puts him away. A minute later, I'm back to the front with a full clip just in time to catch a full health M103 trying to retreat. It took five shots, the last of which was a slim target disappearing behind a hill, lovely. Greens go on to a landslide win. I end up with 3 frags, and finish 3rd in a tier X match. 

The highs, and lows with this tank are pretty extreme. Team mates look at you and wonder why your "Heavy" isn't out front pushing. I guess I should expect to get some hate mail while driving her, but from what I've been seeing it's not even really a second line tank. More like a medium with some speed, that needs to survive for as long as possible to take advantage of her 12 seconds of absolute destruction. I'm looking forward to the long grind with her, and any further advice is very welcome from someone that "gets" this tank. 

Yes its a huge medium with a devastating auto loader.  

STUART SHERMAN #11 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 40958 battles
  • [FLT]

View PostFeelingLotus, on 06 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I really enjoy the tank so far. Just got the second  upgrade pack, certainly have to adjust your play style for that 50 second reload. I play it more like a medium, it certainly is not a front line brawler, even in a tier 8 match. And yes arty drool when they see one. Going to be a while before the 50 120 so I'll enjoy the extra 2 rounds in the drum for now :justwait:

Yes, the six shot clip is sweet, because you're bound to bounce one every so often. Long grind to unlock two tanks so either learn, or move on to something else. 

View PostRed-Tide__02, on 06 March 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

I didn't use it properly either. I'll definitely revisit it as if anything I was too tentative in it, I rarely got to unload the full clip into anyone. My French crew wasn't great at the time either but its decent now.

I ran a crew with 0 skills for a few rounds. Then I read the thread about transferring crews from War Stories with full training one time each. So bam, new crew with some skills, and it cut my reload time by 4-6 seconds. Of course everything is a little better, but that reload time really stands out. 

One thing I read, and saw on Quicky Baby's vid is, reload when the time presents itself. Don't wait to fire off all your shells to reload. It will take the same amount of time, but then you'll be ready for whatever comes next with a full clip.

DefiantSpurr #12 Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14235 battles
  • [BNKR]

Never trust your armour. especially when you get the tier 9 and 10. Stay mobile, stay alert, don't be afraid to relocate, remember that your crew apparently are on top of the turrets in the French heavies... Just look at them and someone dies.

Don't try to outclip a waffle with any french heavy it has a magic turret that is protected by RNG

Subscribe to my YouTube! 

https://www.youtube....ser/immortalfae

TocFanKe4 #13 Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21080 battles
  • [GIRLS]
I just plain hate it. I quit the line after I finished it, and I have no plans to play the other ones. Probably didn't help I constantly played tens in it on urban maps, but I'm still never playing that piece of junk ever again.

My dislike of +/- 1 pales in comparison to my hatred of Loaded Dice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users