Assessing Crew skill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Matthew J35U5 #1 Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

So, you may have seen my going on about how the crew xp bar appears to not be working as expected. I went into depth on that here, but that's not what this is about. This is intended as a brief tutorial on assessing the crew skills of your tank. 

First, unfortunately at this time I do not have a method that works for turretless tanks. You can try to time your reloads, but I have gotten wildly inaccurate results by using reload time to extrapolate crew skill. 

Edit—Theoretically, if you find a third party website that tells you how wide the gun arc is on your tank, you can measure the time it takes for your gun to traverse that arc the same way that you can measure the time it takes for your turret to traverse, because I believe both are affected by your gunner skill. 

The way that this method works, is that as your tank's crew skills increase, certain stats of your tank will also increase. While many of these are somewhat difficult to measure, the turret traverse is dependant only on your gunner crew skill. (It also gets a small bonus from the fuel consumable, so if you have that equipped, un-equip it while testing this). So, by finding the rate at which your turret traverses compared to the speed at which the turret stats claim it traverses (the nominal speed), you will be able to calculate your crew skill.

First, you need to collect some data. Take whichever tank that you want to find the crew skill for into a battle, and time (with a stop-watch, or other device that can measure to 2 decimal places) the length of time which your turret takes to traverse a full 360 degrees. You'll want to do this 4-5 times so that you can try to make sure you aren't accidentally measuring too fast, or too slow. Take the arithmetic mean of these measurements, and keep it for the following calculations.

Second, you'll want to go to your tank in the garage, open the package page, press "y" on the package that you are using, and find the turret traverse speed. To find the time in which your turret will take to traverse 360 degrees, divide 360 by the traverse speed. For example, a tank with a 22 degree turret traverse will take ~16.4 seconds to traverse 360 degrees. This will be your nominal baseline value for the following calculations. 

((0.875*Nominal/measured)-0.5)*800/3=effective skill

Insert your values for the nominal stat and the measured stat into this formula. For example, my tank with 22 degree turret traverse has 16.36 for the nominal stat, and has 18 for my measured stat. 

((0.875*16.36/18)-0.5)*800/3=effective skill

((14.315/18)-0.5)*800/3=effective skill

(0.7895-0.5)*800/3=effective skill

236.22/3=effective skill

effective skill=78.7

Now that you have your effective skill level, you're not quite done yet, the tank commander provides a bonus of 10% of his crew training level to each crew member. To remove the effect of this bonus, divide the effective skill by 1.1.*

True skill=effective skill/1.1

continuing with my example, my true skill would be 71.6 if my effective skill was 78.7. 

If you have equipped the "Improved ventilation" equipment, you will have to subtract 5 from the "true skill" to find the actual skill level of your gunner, otherwise this value is the crew training level of your gunner, and by extension, your entire crew!**

*Some lower tier tanks do not have independent gunners, rather having the commander do all the work. If this is the case (you'll know if your tank does not have a gunner by the little icons on the tank panel on the lower corner of the screen), you will not have to divide your effective skill by 1.1. 

**Yes, yes, I know, each crew member will have slightly different levels of crew training because having your crew get injured causes them to gain xp at lower rates. The error caused by this rough approximation is going to be more significant than the error caused by assuming all of your crew members have the same skill level. 

Edited by Matthew J35U5, 29 March 2014 - 02:12 PM.

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Ignitable Duk #2 Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7706 battles
wait, what?

SMALLESTMERCY #3 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1123 battles
Woah!

Matthew J35U5 #4 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostIgnitable Duk, on 19 February 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

wait, what?

What exactly are you finding unclear?

Anvil LFO #5 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 9641 battles
Cheers. I will be giving this a go. Least when I've done 5 rotations I will be able to work out how my team has decided to die in that match. Could you knock up a little excel spreadsheet to calculate it all if you haven't already? 

Tom

Matthew J35U5 #6 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostAnvil LFO, on 19 February 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

Cheers. I will be giving this a go. Least when I've done 5 rotations I will be able to work out how my team has decided to die in that match. Could you knock up a little excel spreadsheet to calculate it all if you haven't already? 

I honestly don't know how I would post something like that if I did. I have a spread sheet with this basic kind of stuff in it, but I don't know how I would do anything with it.

bwShadowFang #7 Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 10799 battles

I found this formula to be a little easier on my brain.

Tank Stat=(.5[Crew%]+50)%

What this equation is saying is that for every 2% your crew is trained, it adds 1% of a stat boost to your tank. For example, your tank starts with a 50% crew. Your tank says it can fire 10 rounds with a 100% crew. Since your tank starts with a 50% value to its stats, the 50% crew adds another 25% to those stats effectively raising it up to 75%. So that means your stock crew can fire 7.5 rounds a minute.

Whenever you loose a crew member, his stats are reduced to 0% and effectively halves the effectiveness a respective tank stat i.e. dead loader means tank reloads 50% the speed as normal. THis is true for stock crews

Need help with a line? Send me a message and I will help you the best I can.

Matthew J35U5 #8 Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostWolfGuard27, on 19 February 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

I found this formula to be a little easier on my brain.

Tank Stat=(.5[Crew%]+50)%

What this equation is saying is that for every 2% your crew is trained, it adds 1% of a stat boost to your tank. For example, your tank starts with a 50% crew. Your tank says it can fire 10 rounds with a 100% crew. Since your tank starts with a 50% value to its stats, the 50% crew adds another 25% to those stats effectively raising it up to 75%. So that means your stock crew can fire 7.5 rounds a minute.

Whenever you loose a crew member, his stats are reduced to 0% and effectively halves the effectiveness a respective tank stat i.e. dead loader means tank reloads 50% the speed as normal. THis is true for stock crews

Well... I suppose this isn't a terrible approximation. But a 50% crew can fire 8 rounds per minute, not 7.5, because you have to take into account your commander's bonus training level, so a 50% loader is effectively a 55% loader. Your formula would assume that you have a 60% loader to result in 80% effective skill.  And if for instance you have your commander knocked out, your view range will not be reduced to 50% of the nominal value, it will be reduced to about 57% of the baseline value. A more accurate approximation is to say that every 5% increase/decrease in crew skill will cause a 2.2% increase/decrease in your tank stat. So having a dead commander would result in 20 2.2% decreases from the baseline, or 56% of the nominal value. A 55% crew member (i.e. a 50% crew) would perform at roughly 80% efficiency (because 50% would result in 78% efficiency). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users