my thoughts (rant) on the state of the game since the tier 10 lights

ideas wot world of tanks future premium RNG matchmaking rant

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

MegaB0B0 #1 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:14 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9945 battles

As one who started playing since the first day of the release on 360, i have seen the changes to the game both good and bad, but i must say in its current state, the game is not getting the mid life boost it needs such as the likes of Warframe and even Division, let along other MMO like games.

While i am still playing many of the friends on my list who I played with since 360 were no longer playing, that include the long time no.1 of Xbox on record. It is not a good sign.

Player count is slowly draining to the low end with Australian prime play time: 5pm to 11pm local time now has less than 1000 players on average on both US east and West ea. Same time last year, it was still numbering 1100-1200 or so. I see the merge of Asian server was not as a positive on the PS4 front, as it meant asian players also reduced.

With serious competitions originate from PC now is on the horizon, it is foreseeable that the game will take another hit in player numbers when they arrive. While PC managed to held its ground, I don’t know about console unless it put in some serious changes that brings better balancing and feature fixes in future updates.

Player numbers is key to success of any MMO. The current preferred methods in keeping player for WGBC is to have monthly free tank give away competitions. It all began with the dreaded Motherland give away event years back, ever since it has been non stop with a month of two between these events. But even that it seems it is hard to lure long time players back. Especially the three plus year vets. Hence it is also foreseeable that free premium tank give away method of retaining player would lost its pull in maintaining player count.

The number one problem for any player that is not with a 60% win rate is the make up of the teams. Players skills are as poor as they were since first year… but what make things worst is the power creep of lights and over power premium tanks. Average games became a battle of the lights at the beginning, which side with better lights players immediately gains advantage. Unlike PC with mouth control aim, killing lights and fast mediums on console is a far harder affair for slow aiming heavy guns on TD and heavies. This effectively gives survival rates of lights in the hands of RNG and racing controller skill. Often lights would cut deep into enemy area spot all slow moving tanks, allow arty to harvest them or TD to pick them off afar and return with half of their health or better. In maps with wide open areas, this would quickly turn a game from 15 v 14 to 15 v 10 or 9 and from then on, it is very hard to turn around for loosing side. Why play TD and Heavies or Arty when they cant effectively hit fast moving small targets? May as well all play MBT with 60KM/h and shoot missiles at each other? I think AW has a better mechanic and balance on that front….

next is the server side reticle, Often I think I have fully aimed but my shot would just shoot anywhere but within the aim circle… shooting far moving targets is pure RNG. One would be lucky to hit the lights in a TD or Heavy from afar.

Much like the hardly stop moving World of Warships, it is better for TD and heavy players to get a moving target aim assist (lead way estimate) much like WOWS that increase their chances in better hitting lights on the move. It will only work on lights, not mediums and it wont impact on the aiming time. It just allow players with bad gun arc and handling to aim with a better chance of hitting and feel of in control.

Often I wonder what I need to do to get on the enemy side as I was the last men standing against 5 enemies out of the ten that is still alive, after 5 similar games. I would be happy to pay 100 gold to get on the side with player that has more 51% win rate players. Not with ex-COD campers that thinks its E-75 fully upgraded can win the game against four mediums and two lights circling it by staying at the base from start to finish. One wonder why a 42% win rate player with 2000 battles can drive a tier 9 like that? Perhaps they are the ones funding the game with free xp gold conversion? I think it is better to increase player skill level across board with war stories and some kind of horde mode. don’t just throw out free premium tanks by making players play, which they can suck their way to get it by bad play ethics.

Use the drivatar technology seen in games like Forza series, record the behaviour of good players (say half the super test guys ) in an increasingly difficult horde mode, put the free premium tank behind surviving 10 waves of enemy and make players be in the top five in live random battles for tickets to play that mode. Say ten tickets per game in the horde mode.

Turn war stories in to an extensive player tutorial that give good premium tank discount after completion as it is done right now. But teach player key aspects in map reading, tank type differences, gun depression, side scraping, etc in the tutorial. Hire some lady with a sexy voice to do the narration. Make new to players complete these before they move pass tier 5! WOWS can do it, WOTC can.

Introduce a form of personal mission that reward premium time and other stuff, with aim to reward skilled players and also make new players learn how to build up their play skill. Have the forum community vote on these missions and tutorials much like what developers of EndLess Space series did with Games2gether model.

Ditch the 360 and move to 30v30 with large map. Strike a deal with Xbox to make a 360 to XB1S / X upgrade special in the English speaking world where 360 player gets a chance to buy a XB1S with 30% discount or more from Microsoft store delivered, complete with a 252U or Patriot to sweeten the deal if possible.

introduce reusable cool down repair kits med kits etc, charge player per use.

Introduce ex-tech tree skinned premium with high pen low alpha premium shells. Make them more different if you have to do it.

then finally to the elephant of the room: WarChests. RNG loot boxes they are… WOWS Blitz have them, so i wonder when are WOTC be throwing them out for 100 gold a pop? Perhaps WOTC is small enough not to turn themselves into BattleFlop2 or Deadstiny2. At current stage, it is harmless fun it seems. I never get more than 5000 gold and premium time, but i wonder what is the chance of winning a ‘CanNotJustPenSir’ Tier 8  TD with these chests?

I have supported the game with three of the power creep premium tanks in the last three months, my garage is now over 110 tanks. So i do hope this games can go on another three years and still be there when Xbox ^Cube, PS V rolls in…

I hope dev fix the technical issues and balance before they introduce graphics changes and more new premium tanks.

Finally: since you let likes of 252U and that K out the bag, why not release the T-44-122?  

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

ArKenemyxX #2 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15027 battles
  • [PRIME]

View PostMegaB0B0, on 16 March 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

As one who started playing since the first day of the release on 360, i have seen the changes to the game both good and bad, but i must say in its current state, the game is not getting the mid life boost it needs such as the likes of Warframe and even Division

i stopped reading when i saw this. biggest flop i ever played

SteampunkPagan #3 Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 77066 battles
  • [HDC]

While I still find value in WoT and will play it till the day the servers go offline I must restate some of my earlier comments found HERE. So long as WG refuses to give the most basic information about the consoles mechanics the player base here has no choice but to play the game as if it were just like every other shooter on console. They have to fix the physics, stop giving out low tier premiums (with the claim they have to do it for new players as well as older while having zero problem selling tier VIII premiums to anyone) polluting the lower tiers with highly skilled players (I got a message just tonight from a player that just started the game saying he might give up because it is no fun getting smashed every game by people with 15,000 plus games played he is talking about tier II & III mind you). The lack of a yearly road map from the development team makes it appear as if they do not  themselves know the direction of the game content. Most games give yearly road map heck Warframe gives a sort of three month road map and on For Honor Ubisoft now give a road map. In the F2P world times are a changing on console we have on XB1 now lost two games with a third saying if things do not improve they may shut down this summer. The game companies are finally releasing some games that use the full potential of the console, they are releasing games that are not just shooters or sports games, they are releasing more simulators & strategy games that appeal to the older generation player base

In closing I in no way believe this game is dead or dying but some decisions of late do have me concerned about the viability as well as the playability of the game. The dumbing down of the maps, the physics and the constant giveaway ops (increasing player burnout) all have in my opinion long term negative effects on the game. How to fix or reverse these things well to be fair I am not smart enough to have those answers but, that does not mean the problem is not there. Again I love this game and I am not giving up on it.

Anyway that is all my opinion and nothing more.

Thanks,

SPP

“Who shot him? I asked. The grey man scratched the back of his neck and said: Somebody with a gun.” ― Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

"Arrête! C'est ici l'empire de la Mort"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

SGT Rock 1963 #4 Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:26 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12481 battles
  • [RATT]
Answer to your question, "Whats the chance of winning a broken tier 8 td, In a chest?" Absolutely Zero. Reward tanks are tier 5 and down.

RUNNINGDUDE1 #5 Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 20734 battles

I think I got cancer from reading this.

MegaB0B0 #6 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9945 battles

View PostArKenemyxX, on 17 March 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

deadstiny is the biggest flop i ever played
That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

Sovietdeath #7 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 14750 battles

View PostMegaB0B0, on 17 March 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

The only issue with the Destiny games is they don't have enough content to keep it going more then a few months at a time

Badfaith PRIEST #8 Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 15935 battles
  • [PRIME]
I still like this game, I am am one of those that if it pisses me off I will try harder and continue to return. It is just hard for me to play a support role, which is what I am good at, if everyone else is randomly chaotic in thier play style. most of my friends dont play anymore so I am all that is left. I dont consider Tanks a shooter, that is degrading. If you killed a tank and picked up a loot box or respawned once you died just to go out again, that is a shooter, that is mindless strategy.

Mordscythe #9 Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9194 battles
  • [U-MAD]

View PostArKenemyxX, on 17 March 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

Division is still popping. Global events, underground, new pier area. The game actually listened to their customers and improved the game incredibly. 

Yea it was awful but not anymore. 

WOTC on the other hand is a steaming pile of dog doo-doo at the moment. With no signs to listening their player base. 

Not hard to choose which company’s game to play tbh.

F4ST-D3V1LS #10 Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17251 battles
  • [ODH]
Currently i'm looking at a solid 10k ppl online right now, you can say what you want but for an "older" game like this, that is pretty nice.
I can't say i agree all that much with your post except for the part(s) where WG can up their effort to educate and reward newbs.

Oh, and there's a typo in your signature... :)

3 Marked tanks: Aufklärungspanzer Panther - Tiger 131 - M36 Jackson - Pz.V/IV "Rammpanzer"

DsG_AngryBullbog #11 Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 16836 battles
  • [UP]
Can someone give me the short version, i've got a pretty short attention span.

Inactive Tanker: Only get on for earn ops and clan scrims

3 MoE Tanks: 57               Most Recent: Motherland

https://www.youtube.com/c/AngryBullbog

electronaut1976 #12 Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12726 battles

View PostMegaB0B0, on 17 March 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Deadstiny...nice one! :)

Tempest fox3 #13 Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17589 battles
  • [RUSH-]
I wrote out a lengthy reply, but the mobile version of the forums decided to lose the entire thing when I pressed "post"

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75 - In order obtained

EL3PHANT RID3RS #14 Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21149 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostMegaB0B0, on 17 March 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

Why play TD and Heavies or Arty when they cant effectively hit fast moving small targets?

LoL I hit them from over here like this quite often. 

http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/46101601

StockrA #15 Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18035 battles
And I was thinking the player population was growing on the ps4, especially over the last few months. Must have imagined it

Warthog II #16 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38204 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostMegaB0B0, on 17 March 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

Unlike PC with mouth control aim, killing lights and fast mediums on console is a far harder affair for slow aiming heavy guns on TD and heavies. This effectively gives survival rates of lights in the hands of RNG and racing controller skill. Often lights would cut deep into enemy area spot all slow moving tanks, allow arty to harvest them or TD to pick them off afar and return with half of their health or better. In maps with wide open areas, this would quickly turn a game from 15 v 14 to 15 v 10 or 9 and from then on, it is very hard to turn around for loosing side. Why play TD and Heavies or Arty when they cant effectively hit fast moving small targets? May as well all play MBT with 60KM/h and shoot missiles at each other?.

"far harder" depends on what you're used to.

And how is the rng different on leading moving tanks any different than the rng of missing large weakspots on otherwise heavily armored tanks?

I'm "average" in the 300 or so games on the PC (one issue is my PC's video card is crap) the other is aim with the mouse and using awsd is a lot harder for me than using the analog sticks because I have a lot less experience with the former.

You have to center your screen on the target to auto-aim on PC and it doesn't lead shot because that takes a lot of skill out if the game just did every thing for you.  Might as well just bring up the player list and scroll over names to do damage and start giving near 100% control over to RNG.  

Maybe user error is the issue?

Edited by Warthog II, 17 March 2018 - 04:10 PM.

Some people claim Ensk should be tier restricted.   I don't believe their lies. 

NightOfDeaths #17 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25212 battles
  • [KMD]

Light tanks and mediums are easy to hit.

Maybe I should record hitting light tanks for you. 

Screw my elders!!!!

World of Tanks a game where it's 1 versus 29. 15 reds trying to kill you and 14 greens trying to support them. The yellows are your only hope. For signature and stats visit http://wotinfo.net/en/player-stats

2 & 3 MoEs

Warthog II #18 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38204 battles
  • [KMD]

Does the OP play with "aim assist" on? 

If so, turn that thing off.

Some people claim Ensk should be tier restricted.   I don't believe their lies. 

electronaut1976 #19 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12726 battles

The flood of lights is getting on my nerves tbh. Having 4 of them flying across the maps is a major pain in the rear chamber.

And that russian Tier10 scout omfg...thing is so broken. Warping around nonstop hitting every freakin shot while doing 60...

Thanks for tier 10 scouts WG...:facepalm:

At least limit them to 2 per team.

First we had arty now scouts.

DustyHooves #20 Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23616 battles

View PostMegaB0B0, on 16 March 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

Use the drivatar technology seen in games like Forza series, record the behaviour of good players (say half the super test guys ) in an increasingly difficult horde mode, put the free premium tank behind surviving 10 waves of enemy and make players be in the top five in live random battles for tickets to play that mode.

Surely you're joking.

Also tagged with ideas, wot, world of tanks, future, premium, RNG, matchmaking, rant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users