lights light tanks op overpower lights overpower

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

MegaB0B0 #1 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9882 battles

One game to illustrate why WOT is fast becoming World of Lights

I just finished a game of in my slow as hell T95 in a team destruction battle in the wide open new map Nomonhan, this map is the playground of lights, mediums but not so for heavies and TD, especially those with poor gun depression.

We lost and I got four kills, holding a whole front all by myself and two lights at the start against four heavies and TDs and two mediums. I managed to shoot and kill the TD, Two heavies and a medium, but i was unable to shoot the light that killed me, the one on the enemy team, t49 with 5 kills. Even with 4 kills, I was third in damage done behind our T49 that clearly perform well. The enemy team's top two are lights, the lycan and the T49. By the end of the game, the Lycan and T49 were the one that picked on the last three tanks on our side, me and a RhmB as well as the top damage scoring arty. None of us are a match against two of the light tanks, I got killed by being disabled in my track and dies by hits on my butt. the RhmB can’t do much as it fail to shoot at my killer and had to back away after fail shorts. The arty was able to splash damage and kill the low health T49 while it tries to kill the RhmB, but it doesn’t have such luck against the Lycan’s full clip. Both tanks were taken out by the Auto loader. 8 tanks taken out by enemy lights, more than half. If that doesnt yell this tank type is OP, i dont know what does.

Results speaks for itself and backs up to my claim: High tier lights at open maps decide the battle, it renders Arty and TD (even slow firing heavies like Japanese russian chinese) powerless simply because it cant hit their target while they move. Mediums in the past are bigger in mass and less mobile in turns not to mention slower, which render them able to be killed by skilled players who knows how to lead the shorts.

Therefore since high tier lights came on, it dominates many of the open maps, you can effectively guess which side is going to win soon as you saw the performances of the lights players. Once the lights on any one side died out and the mediums which would be second line in countering lights also died out, remaining tanks types can almost sit and wait for their doom against enemy lights.

Those who can drive lights or for the matter, mediums can always argue it is not about this and that, that lights are not Over powered. But fact remains that a skilled player in Heavy, Tank Destroyer and Arty cant not over come skilled lights player with their skill and knowledge of their machines means Lights are given a natural advantage on the battlefield.

Game balance is about letting archetype of tanks balance against each other in gameplay, it is fine to have one or two type of character in a given archetype to be a bit more OP, but that is by comparative against one other archetype or in a selective situation. Not a condition that can render Three out to FIVE archetypes ineffective against one particular archetype. That is not good game design. If one use a rock paper scissors comparison: introduced a four element Sword that can defeat Rock and Paper only scissor can counter it but not defeat it.

Lights on their own against other lights is perfectly fine, even against mediums are fun to watch, but not against the other three tank types, thats almost slaughter, even at one v two scenario as demonstrated time and again.

The game as it is is pushing players to be good at only lights and mediums, that is effectively making players stop playing 3/5 of other tank types simply cause they wont be fun to play down the track as more and more people force to picks up lights or mediums.

That is not a good thing, this is a game play game design issue, simply because this game should not be turn in to another fast pace reaction centric shooter.

A solution to rebalance them and not take away their fast and nimble character is to reduce lights ammo damage by 1/3, lower the accuracy in general as lights in mobile should not be accurate in the first place for realistic purposes (LOL), plus reduce their ammo count (it is a light, cant carry that much, right? Somethings gonna give to get those speed and mobility). Good players will still be rather good just as any other tank type, but it will reduce their superiority in terms of over all impact.

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

jprs201024 #2 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26160 battles
Agree with you! The new light tanks are killing the game! They are to much OP! At this moment, it´s impossible play with super heavy tanks, arties or slow TD´s... And I know what I'm saying, because even on Thursday, with my M7 (tier 5), in a battle I easily destroyed two tier 7 (a T29 and a T28 HTC)!

Edited by jprs201024, 24 March 2018 - 08:19 PM.

Knot3D #3 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21390 battles

Agreed.

I can still deal with Light Tanks, they're not OP - but the meta is just NOT FUN like this. 

And that's exactly the reason why I play less frequently these days.

His left hand #4 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 33615 battles
Sure as hell beats World of Tank Destroyers.

Šiñísʈeȑ Ďḗuɱ ᶂẫçere

The Turkey Tank #5 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27448 battles
  • [IMTLS]

WN8:3900   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

PirateTanker #6 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35632 battles

Reduce alpha by a 3rd, nerf accuracy and shell count? 

Better idea.......

you should go back to minecraft. 

The Earth is Flat. 

Gadoguz94 #7 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19024 battles
  • [A666]
Nobody is stopping you from picking one up yourself and doing the same thing they did..oh wait... :)

The Turkey Tank #8 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27448 battles
  • [IMTLS]
Serious response to your suggestions at the bottom: 1. lights already carry some of lowest ammo counts in the game like the panzerwagen at tier 10 that only has 35 rounds of 320 alpha, 2.lights already have some of the worst accuracy in the game after the Light Tank Update with the every tier 10 light having .40 accuracy or worse except for the Panzerwagen which gets better accuracy of .36 in exchange its alpha is only 320, 3.reducing their damage also means making some of the worst dpm's in the game even worse like the T100LT that fires a 300 alpha shell something like every 6.5 seconds which is laughably bad especially when you take into account its god awful accuracy of .46 that it is has. 4. The accuracy of these tanks isn't the only negative for their gun performance since they have severe penetration loss over distance that is even worse than apcr for other tank classes. 5. I can't say this enough but please please play some light tanks yourself at higher tiers to see how difficult it can be to play them.

WN8:3900   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

El Materdor43 #9 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25243 battles
  • [HACKS]

OP

I didn’t read your entire post but I seen a couple of things. First, you had 4 kills in a T95 on an open map. You did your part. You apparently played pretty well. You said that you held the part of the map you were at. Again, you did your part. It sounds more like a typical potato team not helping as opposed to a class of tank deciding the outcome.  I’m sure I missed it by not reading your entire post but, did your team have light tanks also?  If so, they should have been able to counter the light tanks on the red team. Lastly, at higher tiers, a good light tanker can have a lot of influence on a battle, as the higher tiered lights are not noob friendly. You don’t just drive it and insta-win. They require skill to do well in. They have no armor and have to rely almost exclusively on speed and the skill of the driver. 

I will conclude by saying this; I still see far more heavies and TD’s in 9/10 games than anything else and usually, it’s the team with the most heavies that win those games.  I had several games last night that featured 8 heavies per side, and one of those was on the Nom Nom map. And the red team had 5 more heavies than my team had. We lost, and we had 2 tier X lights on our team. 

Its the driver that makes a light tank perform well. 

TeichMegagamer #10 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2356 battles
  • [GRAP]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 24 March 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostPirateTanker, on 24 March 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Reduce alpha by a 3rd, nerf accuracy and shell count? 

Better idea.......

you should go back to minecraft. 

^ this

I knew this thread would be gud.:medal:

Tips to improve your skill

MustardScroll7 #11 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 5876 battles
Light tanks are amazing. They are nowhere near being overpowered in the meta, though. Unless something changed since I left...

EamonnanChnoic #12 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 58569 battles

I gave up playing anything slower than 50k/ph about four years ago.

That was long before the new Light Tank meta, obviously.

The fact of Tank life (that everyone discovers sooner or later) is that speed trumps armor every time.

PS4 (current) Xbox (retired)

I love Light Tanks

Saerbhreathach #13 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19802 battles
  • [LIGHT]
Awwwww the scrub get killed by a scout again??? Poor potato..... :(

MegaB0B0 #14 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9882 battles

again, i am fully aware of the lights players coming up and claim nothing to see, it is not OP, as all long term players already know, the game can be summed as:

As a player of all class, before high tier lights:

Your number 1 enemy: RNG

no.2 enemy: Your noob team mates

No.3 enemy: enemy arty

No.4 enemy: rest of enemy team.

No.5 enemy: own skill performance error

Now, 

No.2 enemy: Your noob team mates in any tank type especially lights

No.3 enemy: enemy lights

No.4 enemy (apart from you driving lights): enemy arty

No.5 enemy: rest of enemy team.

NO.6 enemy: your own skill / performance error

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

DefiantSpurr #15 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11200 battles
  • [BNKR]

Sounds like your team left you to die.

everything i say is my own opinion.

Hi, my name is Defiantspurr My voice is my passport. Verify Me.

Saerbhreathach #16 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19802 battles
  • [LIGHT]
Get good scrub....

MegaB0B0 #17 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostEamonnanChnoic, on 24 March 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Oh yeah that is correct, but that is not majority of players playing this game nor that it is what is intended in the original design of this game, otherwise every tank would have play and turn like a racer. I have said in other posts, there are proper reasons in real history that MBT/Lights survive the evolution of tanks. That Heavy and Slow TD gone in to history books. it will not be possible to have tier 11 / 12 / 13 slow as hack heavy tanks and TD if one day WOT goes for modern tanks, but it will become a problem if the game outcome heavily depended on one tank type to perform well in a game. This is pushing every one to play that, and I have said before, why the hack WOT league on pc are mostly fast mobile tanks.
Yes we all love to watch pro sports, but majority cant play at pro level for the most part. A game is to be have fun in a balance way not to be canon folders when you drive it for one particular tank type, that is not balance and it is no fun, why have the those tech tree in the first place? This is about on-going balance of the game as a whole progress forward, not some pro players claiming their toy is going to be nerfed for balance issue. NO one is going to continue playing other tank types if it ends up with fewer and fewer fun and that is a matter of survival of the game from a game development prospective. A free to play game is to survive and thrive with maximum player population engagement, that means all can having fun, not just let a relatively small groups of players have fun. 

Edited by MegaB0B0, 24 March 2018 - 12:59 PM.

El Materdor43 #18 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25243 battles
  • [HACKS]

View PostMegaB0B0, on 24 March 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

again, i am fully aware of the lights players coming up and claim nothing to see, it is not OP, as all long term players already know, the game can be summed as:

As a player of all class, before high tier lights:

no.2 enemy: Your noob team mates

No.3 enemy: enemy arty

No.4 enemy: rest of enemy team.

No.5 enemy: own skill performance error

Now, 

No.2 enemy: Your noob team mates in any tank type especially lights

No.3 enemy: enemy lights

No.4 enemy (apart from you driving lights): enemy arty

No.5 enemy: rest of enemy team.

NO.6 enemy: your own skill / performance error

The biggest thing to overcome in game is teammates, bar none. RNG doesn’t cause games to be 15-2 blowouts. It doesn’t influence games being over in less than 5 minutes. 

It is your team 

R35T NO MORE #19 Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13397 battles
  • [BNKR-]
Speak for yourself OP my E-100 does just fine on open maps even with LTs, i'm a heavy player and i don't see the issue with them. Then again i don't make myself easy prey and i pay attention to the map. 

Credit to Violet Viper x for the great sig.

Come check out The Bunker, the alternative WoTforum

Courage is fear that has said its prayers

MegaB0B0 #20 Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9882 battles

View PostEl Materdor43, on 24 March 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

The biggest thing to overcome in game is teammates, bar none. RNG doesn’t cause games to be 15-2 blowouts. It doesn’t influence games being over in less than 5 minutes. 

It is your team 

oh yes, I think a lot of players here are US based so they mostly play with connection server with 5 bars, not three bars as many non USA non Europe players able to. I often had to content with hit and not pen situation where I check on likes of Tanks GG and Amor inspector that my gun would certainly pen, especially those fully aimed at enemy side lining up in front of me type of thing. That is RNG at work, or a delay in server side respond render the hit ineffective. 

Given such disadvantage little wonder It is harder for me to hit the lights also, but hey I coped the connection trouble for four years, and it is only when lights come crushing in that the game start be less fun than before. It is foreseeable even when I am driving a light / medium my hits would be less effective thanks to RNG. Hence RNG will always be no1 enemy. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users