AMA

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Corporal Derpy #1 Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

This is going to be a unique attempt at a sort of, interactive guide I guess. Makes it easier to answer specific questions than write a huge wall of text and hope it answers one or two for someone who reads through it.

Now I'm not a fan of how the Newcomer Section has been handled so far because quite honestly, it seems like it is like they made this to try and sweep any threads made by newcomers under the rug and for the most part it worked, it lacks the activity of General Discussions and I admit that I didn't even frequent it much until more recent encounters with a self-proclaimed "Light Tank Authority".

So instead of relying upon months old Guides that were written so long ago that a lot of the information may no longer be viable. We're going to have this thread where people can just ask whatever and I can answer it to the best of my ability, hopefully others may attempt the same.

We've begun the introductions quite late haven't we, although perhaps some of the lurkers in this section don't need to be introduced.

My name is Corporal Derpy, or more easily, Derpy because it's incredible how many manage to muck up Corporal one way or another. I like to think of myself as one of the more active Forumers over the years.

As far as my track record for the game ;

So there's a fairly good chance I know what I'm going on about.

I'm not going to be amazing at giving advice for the higher tiers, especially IX-X but I'm going on an inkling here that most aren't going to be coming up and asking what equipment to run on certain Tier X's and where to aim with X gun to pen Y tank.

Without further ado, let the games begin.

Garage : 

'Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of morons who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.'

'The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. The players aren't really doing anything, something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

'Don't give me that look, this is Teamwork! I'm the team, you're the work. Now get to it, trooper!'

Rarefication #2 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17888 battles
  • [RATT]

I assume you are looking for serious and mature questions. So, let me start: which do you like more, burgers or pizza? ;)

Corporal Derpy #3 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostRarefication, on 28 March 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

I assume you are looking for serious and mature questions. So, let me start: which do you like more, burgers or pizza? ;)

Really don't care about what kind of questions I get.

Obviously the main reason, and why it is in Newcomers instead of General is to try to make it possible for some to get specific information on one or two things that they want rather than have to slog through huge guides to find maybe a sentence about what it is they are interested in, but I don't mind if the questions aren't about the game at all.

As for that.

Pizza.

I'll eat Burgers every now and again but if I was given the choice between them for dinner that day, it'd be Pizza. Since it's really only Cheeseburgers that I like with little toppings.

On the other hand Pizza can be Ham and Pineapple, Texas BBQ Chicken, Pepperoni, Sweetcorn.

Garage : 

'Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of morons who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.'

'The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. The players aren't really doing anything, something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

'Don't give me that look, this is Teamwork! I'm the team, you're the work. Now get to it, trooper!'

donny007-THX #4 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13979 battles
  • [NLD01]

Corporal Derpy:

Why do I not get assistance damage when I spot 6 reds, I stay in place keepimg those same reds lit up, I have best on the field view range, those same 6 reds are blown to bits by my teammates.  Again, no damage assistance.  There are games where I get a lot.....cannot tell the difference in circumstances that lead to get some and get none.

Thanks.

Player 1:  Lol if you're that good then why aren't you super uni on the easiest platform available to WoT?

Player 2:  Because I don't even try and my stats are this good while I know people who sweat and try hard and can only manage green stats lol 

Corporal Derpy #5 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 28 March 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Corporal Derpy:

Why do I not get assistance damage when I spot 6 reds, I stay in place keepimg those same reds lit up, I have best on the field view range, those same 6 reds are blown to bits by my teammates.  Again, no damage assistance.  There are games where I get a lot.....cannot tell the difference in circumstances that lead to get some and get none.

Thanks.

Either the tanks firing at the enemy, or someone else who may or may not be firing at them is also is 'spotting' those Reds at the same time. Because of this the assist damage you get can be lowered by how many are also spotting them themselves.

A lot of TD's or just your regular chai snipers tend to pack Binocs because they can dismount it without Gold. And so say someone hits for 500 damage, you'll get 250 of that assist and the rest will just cease to exist which I think is stupid as hell.

So the high assist matches, you're the sole one spotting for most of it, whereas the low assist matches, someone else is also getting in on that pie. Which will be happening a lot more after the Light Tank changes leading to more and more in battle, as well as their lowered view range.

Edited by Corporal Derpy, 28 March 2018 - 10:23 PM.

Garage : 

IconicNemesis #6 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9454 battles
Derpy how much do you charge to grind accounts for purple stats, and which forumer gives the best back rubs 

Corporal Derpy #7 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostIconicNemesis, on 28 March 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

Derpy how much do you charge to grind accounts for purple stats, and which forumer gives the best back rubs 

Depends.

How much would you say your dignity is worth? :trollface:

As far as back rubs, I'm not sure about anyone who gives good ones, but I do recommend avoiding Jester.

All the time carrying him through Nightfalls and no back rubs offered as compensation.

Garage : 

donny007-THX #8 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13979 battles
  • [NLD01]

Thanks.  Appreciate it.  But by zero assist I don’t mean sharing with Uncle Kinky, or any other tanker.  Zero as in nill, nothing, nada.  Good ol Donny would be happy to share some of that Waffentraderbuegermeister Aufvitersien pie for sure.  But alas, such is the mystery and my quest for huge numbers continues. 

Player 1:  Lol if you're that good then why aren't you super uni on the easiest platform available to WoT?

Player 2:  Because I don't even try and my stats are this good while I know people who sweat and try hard and can only manage green stats lol 

Corporal Derpy #9 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 28 March 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Thanks.  Appreciate it.  But by zero assist I don’t mean sharing with Uncle Kinky, or any other tanker.  Zero as in nill, nothing, nada.  Good ol Donny would be happy to share some of that Waffentraderbuegermeister Aufvitersien pie for sure.  But alas, such is the mystery and my quest for huge numbers continues. 

Assist has always been wonky, and will probably never be fixed entirely.

For some, it's just the system deciding to be a twit, there was a recent case about a week ago where I de-tracked a T29, got 300 track assist from a friendly who hit him and then an Arty shot him for about 900 2 seconds later. I didn't get the track assist for that.

His tracks hadn't been repaired as I could see them still destroyed in sniper view, but the game had just apparently decided the other tank who shot him was now suddenly the one who did the de-tracking. 

I had another game clip which I've since deleted since it was months ago, where I actually got the track assist from damage done to an IS-3, that I hadn't tracked.

Garage : 

RCAFRaven #10 Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:26 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5275 battles
  • [TVTC]

View PostCorporal Derpy, on 28 March 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

So the high assist matches, you're the sole one spotting for most of it, whereas the low assist matches, someone else is also getting in on that pie. Which will be happening a lot more after the Light Tank changes leading to more and more in battle, as well as their lowered view range.

That answers a question I had in a thread I started that never actually got answered: I wanted to know why my XP scores in the Lycan were so low when I had some hits on Tier 9s, maybe a kill, and lots of spotting ribbons but hardly any assist damage. Thanks - it makes sense now.

If I may, I have a question. Preamble: I was restricting myself to Tiers 1 - 5 in multiplayer but was losing my mind due to some of the ridiculousness that seems to be the norm in those tiers. I stepped up to Tiers 5 - 7 and find I am doing better. I still don't mess around above Tier 7 (though I quite often find myself in Tier 9 battles with Tier 6 or 7 tanks, which leads me to ask myself why I don't just play a Tier 9... at least I wouldn't get one-shotted all the time. But I digress....) In your opinion, and constraining ourselves to Tier 8 and below, which Tier is the hardest to play, and which is the easiest?

Thanks,

G

Corporal Derpy #11 Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostRCAFRaven, on 29 March 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

That answers a question I had in a thread I started that never actually got answered: I wanted to know why my XP scores in the Lycan were so low when I had some hits on Tier 9s, maybe a kill, and lots of spotting ribbons but hardly any assist damage. Thanks - it makes sense now.

The issue with the assist ribbons particularly, and why it'd be absolutely lovely to have a reliable damage counter is that they show up so long as a shell 'pens' an enemy tank, maybe even just hits it. I may have to run a test for that just to try and see if I can say for certain rather than just off the top of my head.

So you can end up with a ton of spot assists on a tank that never actually took any damage, not something super common and it is more that you'll have one or two every time you get to spot a tank and have him actually get destroyed by team mates from that.

Add in the fact that the assist is lowered depending on how many tanks are spotting the enemy as well and everything and you can have like upwards of 10 spot ribbons, for 100 damage.

View PostRCAFRaven, on 29 March 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

If I may, I have a question. Preamble: I was restricting myself to Tiers 1 - 5 in multiplayer but was losing my mind due to some of the ridiculousness that seems to be the norm in those tiers. I stepped up to Tiers 5 - 7 and find I am doing better. I still don't mess around above Tier 7 (though I quite often find myself in Tier 9 battles with Tier 6 or 7 tanks, which leads me to ask myself why I don't just play a Tier 9... at least I wouldn't get one-shotted all the time. But I digress....) In your opinion, and constraining ourselves to Tier 8 and below, which Tier is the hardest to play, and which is the easiest?

Thanks,

G

As I would see it, Tier V-VI are the best tiers for players to stick around and start to figure out how to put what they have learnt into practice, while also continuing to seek new knowledge and how to perfect the trade. With VI being the 'easiest'.

V has it okay, but it is the tier where most tanks are just starting to finally find their bearings with your KV-1's, M4's and whatnot. They are good in their own tier and tend to give somewhat of an idea of how the rest in the line play more often than not.

But then you have VI immediately after, wherein you immediately get some of the best tier for tier tanks like the T-34-88, Hellcat, O-I and I even hear the 12t is doing great now with the MM changes. And these tanks are still capable of putting the hurt into VIII's who don't acknowledge them as a threat, so when a V has to face them they can have considerable difficulty.

On the other hand, III and IV are what I would consider the hardest tiers. 

III is the worst and is the biggest drop-off point for players in the game, because all of a sudden you get pitted against V's thanks to the newly introduced +2/-2 MM that you didn't get at I-II. Since you only see one tier lower, two tiers higher AND V is one of the most frequented tiers of all, you almost always end up stuck as the bottom tier where the tanks are nothing but damage that drives towards the enemies. Some of them like the Locust can now and again have a miracle happen and perform well in these games but it comes down heavily to luck instead of skill.

IV has this same sort of problem, but tanks finally start getting guns capable of penetrating the higher tiers and for a number of them, are actually mounted on those same higher tiers only gimped by poor softstats. However the issue remains at the tier aside from the harsh MM that there are certain tanks in it that just roflstomp all overs. You can go from absolutely abysmal B1, to the stupidly good Matilda right back to VK.20.01(D) for atrocious performance.

VII at the higher tiers is also quite poor, especially with how mediocre just about everything that isn't a Heavy or a Light Premium which escaped most LT nerfs is and that they have to face IX's which a lot are just gimped X's. But it's more tedious to grind through than actually difficult.

Garage : 

RCAFRaven #12 Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5275 battles
  • [TVTC]

Thanks for the very detailed reply.

I ground out 7 'Madness' completions this past weekend in my Locust but it was _very_ frustrating and took an absolute ton of play. As you say, a lot (if not all) came down to luck: two bottom tier gut-stomping losses followed by one mid or top tier win, followed by two bottom-tier gut-stomping losses... wash, rinse, repeat ad-nauseum.

Tons of "seal clubbers" in there this during tourneys like this with a Tier 3 base-level too, where one guy will get 50% of a team's kills.

Yep, Tier 3 is brutal.

Thanks again - very thoughtful reply.

G

The Big G BO #13 Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 79334 battles
I'm new on the forum, not to the game. I don't understand some of the abbreviations people use. What is RNG? What is a seal clubber?

Corporal Derpy #14 Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostThe Big G BO, on 29 March 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

I'm new on the forum, not to the game. I don't understand some of the abbreviations people use. What is RNG? What is a seal clubber?

RNG refers to Random Number Generator, effectively the invisible dice that controls a lot of aspects of the game.

When you fire your gun with 100 pen at 100 flat armour, and it fails to pen, you got a low roll, it pens then you got a high roll.

Gun averages 500 and you hit for less than that, low roll, higher than that, high roll. More or less.

How it acts is in the name, it's Random. A game of chance. But you can via smart play and knowledge make the odds in your favour.

Seal Clubbing refers to the act of playing new players as someone with experience of the game mechanics, as well as all manner of bonuses, in this case Crew Skills that new players aren't going to have on them. With the Clubbers obviously being the people that do that.

As to what tiers are deemed 'Seal Clubbing' for playing, it varies between the mindset with some thinking as high as VII is still seal clubbing, however I think everyone can agree that players with 20,000k games at Tier I are always seal clubbers.

Garage : 

mockney_piers #15 Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 8124 battles
  • [FILTH]

Don't forget that tier IV almost never sees top tier. 

Fine if you're experienced in something like a T-28 with a good gun, know about view range/camo and have found the silver button for prammo.

For new players it must be a pretty dispiriting experience.

And to briefly elaborate Derpy's seal clubbing explanation. It basically suggests that nasty people with big sticks are killing helpless creatures.

This is particularly bad with experienced players in overpowered (OP) tanks like the Sexton 1, T-Rex etc playing in the lower tiers.

If you're in a tier 3 match and the reds finish up with a guy with 1500 damage and 8 kills check his account. Probably about 20000 games, 15000 of which are in the T-rex and proudly displaying his unicum stats in his forum signature :D

For total transparency i have played over 100 games in the sexton 1 ;)

Nicholas Sapien #16 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33313 battles
  • [ACES]

Derpy, What nation do you think is gonna win this Final IV?

What nation are you picking?

First anime you ever watched?

What anime brought you into the world of anime and made you seek out more of it?

Why don't you have a tier 10?

​Member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club [ACES] Armoured Aces "Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny"

1: A leap of faith. An unproveable belief in a reality beyond this world. 2: suicide. Escaping a pointless existence. 3: acceptance of an Absurd existence, and the freedom that comes with creating your own meaning.

"He who snipes snipers, runs the risk of becoming the sniper himself. If you gaze into the scope, the scope gazes back"

The Big G BO #17 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 79334 battles
TANKS (LOL) for the info!!:D

Corporal Derpy #18 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [KMD]

View Postmockney_piers, on 29 March 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Don't forget that tier IV almost never sees top tier. 

Fine if you're experienced in something like a T-28 with a good gun, know about view range/camo and have found the silver button for prammo.

For new players it must be a pretty dispiriting experience.

I think they see top tier a bit more than III's, and can at least handle mid-tier well for a number of them.

But it does keep up with the bad MM, all round gun performance being abysmal and increases the amount of grinding needed to get fully upgraded and start progressing onto the next tank in the line. It probably causes a lot of the new players who managed to stomach Tier III to throw in the towel thinking that it wasn't worth putting up with the same experience but with more grinding.

View Postmockney_piers, on 29 March 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

And to briefly elaborate Derpy's seal clubbing explanation. It basically suggests that nasty people with big sticks are killing helpless creatures.

This is particularly bad with experienced players in overpowered (OP) tanks like the Sexton 1, T-Rex etc playing in the lower tiers.

If you're in a tier 3 match and the reds finish up with a guy with 1500 damage and 8 kills check his account. Probably about 20000 games, 15000 of which are in the T-rex and proudly displaying his unicum stats in his forum signature :D

Nah, there's a few I'm sure but most of the more committed buggers I think just completely avoid the Forums.

A number of the 10-20k Tier I players know the kind of reputation they have but seem to either straight up avoid answering, or just make snarky remarks about it.

I can understand some of it, my most played tank at the B2 only has that status because I run it every time a Grind Ops that I deem it necessary for and that's just not enjoyable, but some players can enjoy some of the tanks down there but especially at Tier I, there's little difference, over half the tanks are just the same tank with minor differences depending on the nation.

View PostNicholas Sapien, on 29 March 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Derpy, What nation do you think is gonna win this Final IV?

Probably Germany, they have the most OP ones and most people are just committed to sticking with the one that one Tankbowl two times rather than risk anything else even if they already own the Hammer.

What nation are you picking?

China.

I don't care for any of the other rewards, nor do I want to bother buying back a tank for them specifically to play for that nation.

So I'll just run China to get the 3 Marks on the T-34-2G FT and hey if we're super lucky, I get a Legion at the end of it for free.

First anime you ever watched?

Outside of the usual Pokemon cause it was on TV, and a few Ghibli films, I think the first anime I ever watched was Elfen Lied.

And I didn't watch it myself to be honest, my brother was the one going through it but we shared the room so I saw almost all of it as well.

What anime brought you into the world of anime and made you seek out more of it?

Might surprise some.

But after Elfen Lied, which I didn't go out of my way to watch myself, I didn't keep with it until I somehow got into watching Strike Witches one day.

It's not exactly good, being far too reliant on unnecessary fan service but I found the characters quite enjoyable, I liked the fantasy WWII setting, the music was nice and every now and again the story was actually going somewhere.

There's still potential, not that it will ever get used but it is still there for SW to tell its story without being so reliant on fan service. And that sort of hope was enough for me to move out elsewhere and find all sorts of stories, some reliant on it in the same way, some in different ways and some that didn't need it at all.

By getting into that sort of mindset so quick at least, I've a very large tolerance and so I've managed to not get put off by it where some have by that sort of thing. Which is one of the biggest risks I think people trying to get invested into say, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch have.

Why don't you have a tier 10?

It is a mixture.

At first it was that I simply didn't care for any of the tanks there, they were of time periods I didn't fancy and none of them appealed to me, T-62A's, Waffles, whatever I just didn't give a damn for. The only one I showed any interest in was the 121 and by then I had already figured out the game and started to understand what balance was like.

Which is the big reason now, in that Tier X is just an incredibly unbalanced tier, with tanks like the 121 being very mediocre compared to others like the Russian Mediums, you've got the M53 that outperforms Tier X Artillery, Deathstars that can one-shot Heavies through the front or Waffles that can drive around a corner and auto-aim one person then immediately die.

There are those out there that can enjoy those tiers, or do so because they are interested in the tanks there. And players who have this sort of mindset that they SHOULD be playing those tiers because of one reason or another and I don't share those views at all, so I just play tanks down at other tiers where I don't spend weeks grinding for something mediocre.

Garage : 

Big Llama Poop #19 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 53 battles
Do you hang your toilet paper over or under?

KinkyFascist #20 Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2079 battles
Why are easiums so easy?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users