New guys please read.

Guide New Beginner Tips Basics

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

AGE 0F THE WOLF #1 Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7301 battles

I have posted a topic a while back when the beta was in its first stages for all the new guys, and saddly only recently thought to repost it. So here is for all the new guys!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, Wolf here and i just figured i would post some information that other tankers might find helpful.

Topic one [Knowing your Tank]

Every tank has a healtharrow-10x10.png pool, this is the tanks main health, but not the only health pool on the tank. Understanding this and the other health pools will help you better understand your tank.

1:Every crew member has their own healtharrow-10x10.png pool. If a crew member is killed their role in the tank will be drastically affected
(a) If your loader is killed you will reload slower)
(b) if your gunner is killed you will become less accurate)
© if the radio man is killed your radio range will be reduced
(d) If your spotter is killed your view range will be reduced)
Keep in mind that some tanks have multiple crew members for the same task. (the Maus has two loaders) While other tanks have some crew members who fill multiple rolls (this means if that crew member is hit all of the rolls he filled will be affected)

2:Every Module has its own healtharrow-10x10.png pool as well. Like crew members if the module is damaged it will have negative affects for the tank
(a) The Gun, if the main gun is hit and is damaged to the 50% marker it will become less accurate. If it is destroyed, you will not be able to fire.
(b) The range finder, If the range finder is damaged to 50% you will have less view range. If it is destroyed you will have a very limited view range.
© if the engine is hit it has a chance to cause fire and will slow you down. If your engine is destroyed you will be rendered immobile.
(d) if your fuel tank (like the engine and transmission) is hit it has a chance to cause fire. If it is destroyed it will explode and result in catastrophic damage.
Every module and crew member affect your tanks operational status. A med kit can revive crew members (as long as there is a crew member left to administer the med kit)   A repair kit can be used to repair modules.

Note that modules are different from crew members in the respect that,  when a module is hit to 50% it has a corresponding effect, and can also be destroyed having a even more devastating effect.

I only mentioned a few Modules here. the affects of the others are not difficult to find out.

3: A fire. A fire can be cause from a shot to the engine,transmission,or the fuel tank. A fire is very dangerous for any tank, as a fire damages every healtharrow-10x10.png pool on the tank as it burns. It can kill your crew, hurt your main health pool, damage/destroy modules and can detonate your ammo rack.

Topic 2 [Knowing your shots]

A shot can do many things and can affect tanks in many ways. During this discussion please note the affects of crew members and modules as previously listed.

1: What a shell can do
(a) a shell can hit your tank at an angle and bounce right off and not harm you at all. This normally occurs when a shell hits at a 30-20 degree angle of the armor
(b) a shot can bounce of an angle and hit another part of your tank. (this may damage you and is know as "shot trapping") For an example a Sherman Jumbo has "cheeks" on the lower sides of its turrets mantel, when shot from the correct angle the shell will bounce like most shots that hit a mantel, but the round fired at the cheek can bounce directly into the top of the hull and kill either the driver or other crew members
© a shot can hit the tank at a surface and not bounce, but not penetrate. This can damage modules, but crew and your tanks healtharrow-10x10.png pool are fine.
(d) a shot can his a non angled surface and go through resulting in penetration. This damages the tanks healtharrow-10x10.png pool and may hit a crew member or internal module. [Note some tanks have spaced armor, this means that the armor is in layers and there is another armored panel underneath the outer armor, a shot may penetrate the outer layer, but not go through the second. A good example of this is the sides of a T14]

A shot can hit a module and result in a critical hit, but no do any damage to the tanks main healtharrow-10x10.png pool. Just the modules health pool, but one shot can damage both module,crew, and the tanks health pool if it is aimed properly and penetrates through far enough. Track are also a module and hitting them can immobilize the tank and count as a critical hit, but do not do damage to the tanks main health pool.

2:How make a proper shot.
(a) do not aim for angles on a tank that will not cause the bullet to bounce back into the tank, this will just ricochet and do nothing. Make sure of the armors angle degree before firing
(b) look for flat surfaces that you can penetrate through (if your arrow is red you will go through if you hit that spot [Given that it is not angled or spaced armor , if it is orange it has a 50% chance of going through, and if it is yellow you are most likely not going through as the armor is to thick) A white outline means that the tank is out of your guns effective range and will do nothing even if hit, or it is behind cover.
© aim for critical points on a tank that will decrease its combat effectiveness, if you do not win the fight it will be easier for the next friendly who does.
(d) if there is  friendly artillery or you cannot penetrate the front, try to track the target to get to a better position and hit the sides or rear. A tracked target is easy for artillery to hit. Remember to request fire at tracked targets with the left bumper LB

Please note that is your ammo rack is hit, it will cause a good deal of damage as well as lower your ammo supply. If it is destroyed it will detonate the remaining ammo and you will be destroyed as well as every module and crew member. The smaller the shells you use the less damage a shot to your rack deals. This means that if you are using a high caliber explosive round, a shot to your ammo rack may be fatal.

[This is all i have time fore now. I hope this helps, and feel free to make suggestions on what i should cover next. or if you have some questions about the topic i did not cover please let me know i will answer them to the best of my ability.]

Happy Tanking;

Wolf

"There are those who would not mind if the enemy besieged them, for they fear nothing of death.They will be my best soldiers. Then there are those who shudder in there hollow cries, watching their friends fall from a distance. They only care for their life. They have no place in my world, or by my side. These are the men you see scattered to the wind when the wolves show their teeth."

SteampunkPagan #2 Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 91923 battles
  • [HDC-R]

View PostAGE 0F THE WOLF, on 19 February 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I have posted a topic a while back when the beta was in its first stages for all the new guys, and saddly only recently thought to repost it. So here is for all the new guys!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, Wolf here and i just figured i would post some information that other tankers might find helpful.

Topic one [Knowing your Tank]

Every tank has a healtharrow-10x10.png pool, this is the tanks main health, but not the only health pool on the tank. Understanding this and the other health pools will help you better understand your tank.

1:Every crew member has their own healtharrow-10x10.png pool. If a crew member is killed their role in the tank will be drastically affected
(a) If your loader is killed you will reload slower)
(b) if your gunner is killed you will become less accurate)
© if the radio man is killed your radio range will be reduced
(d) If your spotter is killed your view range will be reduced)
Keep in mind that some tanks have multiple crew members for the same task. (the Maus has two loaders) While other tanks have some crew members who fill multiple rolls (this means if that crew member is hit all of the rolls he filled will be affected)

2:Every Module has its own healtharrow-10x10.png pool as well. Like crew members if the module is damaged it will have negative affects for the tank
(a) The Gun, if the main gun is hit and is damaged to the 50% marker it will become less accurate. If it is destroyed, you will not be able to fire.
(b) The range finder, If the range finder is damaged to 50% you will have less view range. If it is destroyed you will have a very limited view range.
© if the engine is hit it has a chance to cause fire and will slow you down. If your engine is destroyed you will be rendered immobile.
(d) if your fuel tank (like the engine and transmission) is hit it has a chance to cause fire. If it is destroyed it will explode and result in catastrophic damage.
Every module and crew member affect your tanks operational status. A med kit can revive crew members (as long as there is a crew member left to administer the med kit)   A repair kit can be used to repair modules.

Note that modules are different from crew members in the respect that,  when a module is hit to 50% it has a corresponding effect, and can also be destroyed having a even more devastating effect.

I only mentioned a few Modules here. the affects of the others are not difficult to find out.

3: A fire. A fire can be cause from a shot to the engine,transmission,or the fuel tank. A fire is very dangerous for any tank, as a fire damages every healtharrow-10x10.png pool on the tank as it burns. It can kill your crew, hurt your main health pool, damage/destroy modules and can detonate your ammo rack.

Topic 2 [Knowing your shots]

A shot can do many things and can affect tanks in many ways. During this discussion please note the affects of crew members and modules as previously listed.

1: What a shell can do
(a) a shell can hit your tank at an angle and bounce right off and not harm you at all. This normally occurs when a shell hits at a 30-20 degree angle of the armor
(b) a shot can bounce of an angle and hit another part of your tank. (this may damage you and is know as "shot trapping") For an example a Sherman Jumbo has "cheeks" on the lower sides of its turrets mantel, when shot from the correct angle the shell will bounce like most shots that hit a mantel, but the round fired at the cheek can bounce directly into the top of the hull and kill either the driver or other crew members
© a shot can hit the tank at a surface and not bounce, but not penetrate. This can damage modules, but crew and your tanks healtharrow-10x10.png pool are fine.
(d) a shot can his a non angled surface and go through resulting in penetration. This damages the tanks healtharrow-10x10.png pool and may hit a crew member or internal module. [Note some tanks have spaced armor, this means that the armor is in layers and there is another armored panel underneath the outer armor, a shot may penetrate the outer layer, but not go through the second. A good example of this is the sides of a T14]

A shot can hit a module and result in a critical hit, but no do any damage to the tanks main healtharrow-10x10.png pool. Just the modules health pool, but one shot can damage both module,crew, and the tanks health pool if it is aimed properly and penetrates through far enough. Track are also a module and hitting them can immobilize the tank and count as a critical hit, but do not do damage to the tanks main health pool.

2:How make a proper shot.
(a) do not aim for angles on a tank that will not cause the bullet to bounce back into the tank, this will just ricochet and do nothing. Make sure of the armors angle degree before firing
(b) look for flat surfaces that you can penetrate through (if your arrow is red you will go through if you hit that spot [Given that it is not angled or spaced armor , if it is orange it has a 50% chance of going through, and if it is yellow you are most likely not going through as the armor is to thick) A white outline means that the tank is out of your guns effective range and will do nothing even if hit, or it is behind cover.
© aim for critical points on a tank that will decrease its combat effectiveness, if you do not win the fight it will be easier for the next friendly who does.
(d) if there is  friendly artillery or you cannot penetrate the front, try to track the target to get to a better position and hit the sides or rear. A tracked target is easy for artillery to hit. Remember to request fire at tracked targets with the left bumper LB

Please note that is your ammo rack is hit, it will cause a good deal of damage as well as lower your ammo supply. If it is destroyed it will detonate the remaining ammo and you will be destroyed as well as every module and crew member. The smaller the shells you use the less damage a shot to your rack deals. This means that if you are using a high caliber explosive round, a shot to your ammo rack may be fatal.

[This is all i have time fore now. I hope this helps, and feel free to make suggestions on what i should cover next. or if you have some questions about the topic i did not cover please let me know i will answer them to the best of my ability.]

Happy Tanking;

Wolf

Very nice of you to do this.

“Who shot him? I asked. The grey man scratched the back of his neck and said: Somebody with a gun.” ― Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

"Arrête! C'est ici l'empire de la Mort"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

FatAngrySmurf #3 Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6836 battles
Thanks for this, more things to digest :)

Altira65 #4 Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 5607 battles
Excellent information for all players...new and old!  +1

Knight of Annwn #5 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 12881 battles
  • [-OFF-]
Simple questions, I fully understand the law of fracture mechanics, what I do not understand is how I can match against the same tank, aim in the same area of the tracks yet he gets mine, but I always, ricochet, or did not penetrate?? Also, he only has to hit me twice and I blow up, six shots later from me to the cupola, tracks and side tracks he is still alive??

Somnium somnia quasi semper vives.  - Dream as if you’ll live forever.  Vive quasi hodie -  Live as if you’ll die today.                            

IR RollinDice #6 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11075 battles
  • [-IT-]

View PostKnight of Annwn, on 22 February 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Simple questions, I fully understand the law of fracture mechanics, what I do not understand is how I can match against the same tank, aim in the same area of the tracks yet he gets mine, but I always, ricochet, or did not penetrate?? Also, he only has to hit me twice and I blow up, six shots later from me to the cupola, tracks and side tracks he is still alive??

depends on if your fully upgraded or not just because its the same tank it doesnt mean its the same tank for example a stock €-50 has a 7.5 cm gun with 198 penatration and does around 150 to 200 damage but a fully upgraded one has a 10.5 cm gun with 220 penatration and will damage you anywhere from350 to 500 so you see the same tank can be a very different tank

Knight of Annwn #7 Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 12881 battles
  • [-OFF-]

Hi IR,

I totally agree with your comments, but I still do not understand how clear shots to the tracks do not do any damage regardless of what gun he has. The most recent was the same tank a T14 which has no upgrades other than the large spall liner.  I have started noting that the higher you upgrade your vehicles the faster you appear to die?? In my PZ111 I can last  numerous full games, in the upgraded PZ111/1V two hits and I am out of the game?

I love the smell of conspiracy in the morning with my Coffee... 

Somnium somnia quasi semper vives.  - Dream as if you’ll live forever.  Vive quasi hodie -  Live as if you’ll die today.                            

AGE 0F THE WOLF #8 Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7301 battles

View PostKnight of Annwn, on 22 February 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

Hi IR,

I totally agree with your comments, but I still do not understand how clear shots to the tracks do not do any damage regardless of what gun he has. The most recent was the same tank a T14 which has no upgrades other than the large spall liner.  I have started noting that the higher you upgrade your vehicles the faster you appear to die?? In my PZ111 I can last  numerous full games, in the upgraded PZ111/1V two hits and I am out of the game?

I love the smell of conspiracy in the morning with my Coffee... 

The difference in this case is that you face much different opponents in this tier, who are often better gunned than you. German Tier 5s have very weak armor and you base HP does have a lot to deal with it.  The pz.III gets a great gun for its tier, and its extremely fast, you wont be bouncing many shots with its armor, but if your careful you wont have to. In higher tiers you face stronger guns, know you opponent, learn the tanks. Then you can know what tanks will be a challenge to fight in your games, and what ones you can just roll over.  Also, the T14 has a very very terrible gun, and simply shooting someones tracks off will not cause them damage, if the shell hits the tracks and nothing else you will often immobilize the target, but do no damage. When facing other t14s close the distance if possible and aim for the machine gun port in the front of the hull. This is the t14s weak point when facing low pen guns.

"There are those who would not mind if the enemy besieged them, for they fear nothing of death.They will be my best soldiers. Then there are those who shudder in there hollow cries, watching their friends fall from a distance. They only care for their life. They have no place in my world, or by my side. These are the men you see scattered to the wind when the wolves show their teeth."

UncrownedCarp #9 Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

Private

• Players
  • 879 battles

View PostAGE 0F THE WOLF, on 12 March 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

The difference in this case is that you face much different opponents in this tier, who are often better gunned than you. German Tier 5s have very weak armor and you base HP does have a lot to deal with it.  The pz.III gets a great gun for its tier, and its extremely fast, you wont be bouncing many shots with its armor, but if your careful you wont have to. In higher tiers you face stronger guns, know you opponent, learn the tanks. Then you can know what tanks will be a challenge to fight in your games, and what ones you can just roll over.  Also, the T14 has a very very terrible gun, and simply shooting someones tracks off will not cause them damage, if the shell hits the tracks and nothing else you will often immobilize the target, but do no damage. When facing other t14s close the distance if possible and aim for the machine gun port in the front of the hull. This is the t14s weak point when facing low pen guns.

Is there a website or something that shows the weak spots of various tanks?

rhymeswithN00bs #10 Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16150 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostUncrownedCarp, on 12 March 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Is there a website or something that shows the weak spots of various tanks?

http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guides/

XOXO, Noobius Y

DLOpsahl #11 Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

Private

• Players
  • 33 battles

I apologize in advance but I can't seem to find the correct forum for my question.  This one seemed closer than most of the others.

Is WoT XBOX 360 supposed to look out of focus where reading anything is almost headache inducing?  I ask because I love the computer game and I downloaded the free trial onto my XBOX 360 and the graphics quality of the XBOX version is so much garbage that I find that I don't want to play it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Even if it is just pointing me to the right thread

Tango80 #12 Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 1348 battles

You can also look at this site.

http://www.worldofta...nk_analyzer.cgi

For weak points and general overall stats for tanks you'll be fighting against.

RUReady2Die #13 Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 30274 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostDLOpsahl, on 13 March 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

I apologize in advance but I can't seem to find the correct forum for my question.  This one seemed closer than most of the others.

Is WoT XBOX 360 supposed to look out of focus where reading anything is almost headache inducing?  I ask because I love the computer game and I downloaded the free trial onto my XBOX 360 and the graphics quality of the XBOX version is so much garbage that I find that I don't want to play it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Even if it is just pointing me to the right thread

You have to remember that the 360 graphics are totally dependent on the quality of your television. My ten year old plasma with 720 looks like garbage compared to my one year old plasma with 1080p. Also check your console settings and match with television. 

dI Atticus Ib #14 Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 6567 battles
I didn't read it. But did you include that different engines have a different percentage of catching fire?

Bad players go where they want. Good players go where they are needed!

DLOpsahl #15 Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Private

• Players
  • 33 battles

View PostRUReady2Die, on 14 March 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

You have to remember that the 360 graphics are totally dependent on the quality of your television. My ten year old plasma with 720 looks like garbage compared to my one year old plasma with 1080p. Also check your console settings and match with television. 

Thanks, I didn't even think of that.  I thought that the TV and the XBOX talked to each other about that stuff

Also tagged with Guide, New, Beginner, Tips, Basics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users