Understanding Medium Tanks

Medium Tanks spotting flanking

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

THE CLOSER11 #1 Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 42133 battles

I previously wrote a thread on understanding light tanks, so I decided to follow it up with a thread on medium tanks.

Mediums are a very dynamic class of tank.  When you choose to go down the medium tank line you are declaring yourself to be a TEAM PLAYER!!! Because medium tanks can't do it alone.  Mediums are out armored and out gunned by heavies as many as 2 tiers below them.  You don't have the hit points to trade shots with a heavy or high tier TD's, even if you can easily penetrate them.  As a medium tank you fill mulitiple roles, and you have to know how to switch those roles in the middle of the match.  

Below are a few roles that medium tanks fill:

1.  Scout:  If there are no light tanks on your team (or if they are noobs), it is your role to find the enemy and let your team mates know where they are.  Even if your team doesn't engage right away, you can let them know what tank is going where.  For example, if you are on Mines and you get up in the mines right away.  You can let your team know who is coming up the middle, camping their base, if arty if visible, and who is going into the town.  That gives your team the ability to reposition before they fully commit. 

2.  Support: The support role is closely related to the sniper role, but there are some differences.  The support tank is there to add an additional gun to an assault.  While you aren't hitting very hard, you are providing a 2nd gun, a distraction, and taking some damage that would be focused on your big gun.  When supporting, hide behind your heavies while you reload then pop out and put a shot into the enemy or track them.  Even if you're in a lower tier tank you can still provide enough of a distraction to the enemy.  Support tanks also prevent your heavy or TD's from getting flanked.  If you hang near at T-28 or Jadgtiger and cover it's sides so that it can keep facing towards the enemy your TD can push forward without worrying about defending itself.  

3.  Sniper:  The medium sniper is not the same as a Heavy or TD sniping.  A medium sniper is a mobile sniping platform. Use your speed to get to an advance position, get a few shots into the enemy as they pass or pull into position.  If you have back up, continue your engagement...if not remember you are a MOBILE sniper...GET MOBILE and move!  A sniper tank differs from a support tank in that a sniper should be a lot further back of the engagement than a support tank.  For example:  If you're on Cliff at the light house...a support tank will be right up near the front poking in an out with the heavies.  A sniper will be a few hundred meters behind the engagement out of sight while finding targets of opportunity.

4.  Flanker:  Flanking simply means going around the side.  Think about it...you don't have the best armor or the best gun...do you want to hit a bully in the mouth or the back of the head????  There are more than one way to flank.  1.  Flanking Mission.  2.  Flanking Position  3.  Flank an enemy tank.

1.  A flanking mission is when you decide to go around an enemy without being seen to come up on their sides or rear.  For example:  If you are on Malinovka Encounter, and you decide to go all the way around to the water...that is a flanking mission.  Sometimes you encounter little to no resistence and sometimes you run into half the enemy team.  

2.  A Flanking position is when the enemy is in front of you and you just move to the side to that you get a better angle on the enemy...or force them to look at both of you (therefore turning their turret to someone).  Imagine Westfield standard battle.  There is an E-100 hull down near the red line on the North side.  You team wins the hill and is trading shots with this heavily armored tank.  You and your Pershing back away and come through the town forcing him to turn his turret to you in the town, or your heavies on the hill.  If he chooses you for the easy kill, he's taking major damage from your heavy while you get the spotting damage...if he respects the heavy you get major damage points from repeatedly hitting him in the side turret.

3.  Flank an enemy tank is similar to taking a flanking position but it's much quicker and close range.  If you and another tank or two are engaging other enemy tanks...you simply pull up next to the enemy tank(s) forcing them to turn to face you or or ignore you while you shoot them in the side.  I'll give you an example: Yesterday on Mountain pass I was low tier in a Jumbo, facing a Tiger II, T-29 and another tank on the mountain side of the map.  We had NO TANKS that went right, and our team could not afford to get bogged down with 2 tanks in front of us.  I urged my team to push (but you know how those green guys can be), so I put my tank on cruise control and just kept going past them.  I took a lot of damage, but I got behind both heavies.  Before they could wipe me out, my team killed both of them...I survived and we capped the base.

The trick to being a succesful medium tank driver is knowing which role to fill and when to fill it.

Higher tier German mediums tend to make great snipers and flankers.  They have poor gun depression and are pretty sluggish...their top guns have anemic damage and low alph damage.  However, they tend to have decent frontal armor...good top speeds for their tier and fantastic penetration.  These tanks do well from a distance where your armor can bounce some shots and you have an opportunity to get support from friendlys while engaging.  

American mediums tend to make better support tanks and scouts. They have great gun depression allowing them to peek over hills while only exposing their turret.  They have a longer spotting range than their German counterparts and are smaller with better camo ratings.  They also accelerate quickly allowing you to poke out, fire and retreat behind cover.  They also make great flankers as well due to their small size and speed.  

It's important to keep in mind that regardless of which tank you use you may be called upon to fill any role. If you're in a Panther, and your Chaffee driver runs out like an idiot and gets killed after the first 30 seconds...it's your turn.  If you're flanking and a Tiger II pulls up at full health...retreat!

I hope this guide helps...if you have any questions, or if I left anything out...I look forward to your questions.

Also see my guide: UNDERSTANDING LIGHT TANKS  http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/19293-understanding-light-tanks/page__pid__277700__st__20#entry277700

EDIT:  I also forgot to add that another role is COUNTER RECON:  Your job is to find and engage enemy scouts (if it's safe to do so).  For example: on Cliff, there's always some light tank that wants to get up on the light house.  If it does, they can snipe or spot almost the entire map.  Your job is to rush to the same spots that enemy scouts are rushing to, and force them to move and/or destroy them.  Take for example on Mines, if a Chaffee gets up there, and you're in a T-20...you're as fast, and have more armor, hit points, and a better gun...chase him and destroy him or make him retreat.

9 out of 10 dentist agree...CAMPING is the #1 cause of hate mail.

SilvrgunSuprman #2 Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 2888 battles
Great write up!..Now if only people would stop yelling at me; after THEIR death, when I am sniping in a Panther II. :sceptic:

Arca Dubh #3 Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5379 battles
  • [OFF]
+1. Good information  !

KeystoneCops #4 Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Major

• Players
  • 17819 battles
  • [GIRLS]
+1. This is why the M4 Sherman is and always will be one of my favorite tanks. It can fill all those roles decently for the team.

Bamanutt #5 Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 33152 battles
  • [HIT]

Lots of good stuff in the op,  a skill that is often overlooked is the "back button" . If not engaged please keep checking the map. Where are the enemies, where are your teammates? Being mobile, sometimes you have to decide where you are best going to help the TEAM win.  Closer you do a great job with these & I hope more people actually read & absorb the info. 

Another tidbit is to mic up, there is a great amount of info that you could pass on to your TEAMMATES. In the cases that you can't be mic'd up, use the radial menu to request fire on targets you spot/engage. Ex. Everyone uses back button at start & top tier opfor is a tiger 2. You head around the mountain on cliff & boom there's the tiger2, you call for fire on him. Now the rest of team knows where he is & can continue the attack, they could push hard left, push middle & come around behind or shift more tanks to his location in an effort to win. A great arty player will also shift his focus to that larger threat if he can.  Good communication is so vital to great team success. 

Another thing is realize your role can change throught the battle, you may start as a sniper & end being a spotter for your bigger/blinder  guns.  All of the above & more is what makes mediums fun/tricky to drive & succeed consistently.  

Bama

MegaB0B0 #6 Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9991 battles

problem is all thanks to the bloody Random hit counter, the medium tank would either be the one that steal all the kills or the one that gets nailed within seconds of the game.

My experience was, in a high tier game, the heavy and Tank destroyers can quickly render the medium tank under tier 7 to junk within seconds.

Then some tier 7 and above Medium was able to with stand point blank frontal shots of Tier 5 and 6 heavies....

this made tier 6 and 7 mediums canon folders to all heavy and TDs above its tier but strong contender and heavy killer for any thing equal and below!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence any bad match making that put a medium in a line of eight tier 7 plus heavy and TD, then the medium tank is even less useful than a TD.

That one bounced... WTF..not at 100m and not twice in a roll and not on the side of a Walfe-100 with a BL-10!!!

Nocturnal814 #7 Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles
Those of you saying a medium cannot stand up to a heavy of its own tier are playing your tank wrong. You don't brawl in a medium. Peek a boo with your superior rate of fire and (often) penetration ability easily negates a heavies armor. Especially because many medium drivers are ignored by heavies because heavies don't feel them to be a threat. If you guys ever see me in a match while you guys are in your heavies or TDs, I hope I am as ignored and written off as no threat as this thread seems to make me out to be. I have, and will, take on anything I come across when in my medium, whether wolfpack or lone wolf. Tiger iis, t32s, any will fear me as I go top board for both damage and spotting because I am not seen to be a threat until it is far too late for your team to save you. Play your medium aggressively(with some exceptions) and you will find it one of the most rewarding classes out there. Just beware the steep learning curve

something, something, something, dark side...

ginger bair #8 Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 13712 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostNocturnal814, on 22 February 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Those of you saying a medium cannot stand up to a heavy of its own tier are playing your tank wrong. You don't brawl in a medium. Peek a boo with your superior rate of fire and (often) penetration ability easily negates a heavies armor. Especially because many medium drivers are ignored by heavies because heavies don't feel them to be a threat. If you guys ever see me in a match while you guys are in your heavies or TDs, I hope I am as ignored and written off as no threat as this thread seems to make me out to be. I have, and will, take on anything I come across when in my medium, whether wolfpack or lone wolf. Tiger iis, t32s, any will fear me as I go top board for both damage and spotting because I am not seen to be a threat until it is far too late for your team to save you. Play your medium aggressively(with some exceptions) and you will find it one of the most rewarding classes out there. Just beware the steep learning curve

TL;DR

shoot Nocturnal. 

NegativWaves #9 Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 12501 battles
Very good write up.

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.

FolkAttorney67 #10 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9520 battles
This is the most helpful post I've seen so far in this entire forum. Please post more and +1 to you Closer11.

Need M103 Tips and Tricks? Go to "Folk's M103/ T110E5 Thread" in the American  Section.

Credits to Roni for Sig!

redjokers69 #11 Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 1434 battles

Another good post Closer11.  I love playing my Pz. 38nA Light Tank but I'm looking for something with a little more punching power as well as effective use of the HE Shells. Is their a Medium Tank equivalent that I could use? My play style is a passive scout/mobile sniper with decent maneuverability. Any suggestions? I was thinking of going for the Pz. III/IV. Thoughts??

BIame Miracles #12 Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 15627 battles
  • [POMF]

View PostNocturnal814, on 22 February 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

This is exactly how i play against higher tiers or heavies when I'm forced to, play peek a boo and aim for their weak spots

World of Tanks, Pokemon Style song (in Spoiler) By Radica1Cat

Spoiler

You Can Call me Goku

zz SlowMoe zz #13 Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33761 battles
Excellent write up! I play medium tanks and this is really good stuff. 

DropShot 96 #14 Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6267 battles
dont forget brawling, american tanks are also good at close range brawling, very good thread though

Also tagged with Medium Tanks, spotting, flanking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users