33 replies to this topic

R35T NO MORE #1 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13781 battles
  • [BNKR-]

Review of the tier 8 Strv S1

What is it?

The Strv s1, and the Stark variant, are tier 8 Swedish premium tank destroyers. They are snipers and both have siege mode, with guns fixed to the hull. To traverse the gun you have to traverse the entire hull. They offer unique playstyles among premiums due to this and that will be their main appeal to those looking to buy. They get amazing penetration, the best in tier 8, and due to this they make alot of silver, as they have a 60% silver bonus. The AP shells do cost 1000 silver however so do try not to miss too many shots. The crew xp bonus is only 10% however so that is worth bearing in mind. 

What is siege mode?

This is unique to the Swedish TD line, starting at tier 8. These TDs have to chose between using travel or siege mode. In travel, the Strv/Stark get good mobility, 50kph forward and 45kph when in reverse. However the engine horsepower isn't amazing, it will slow down a kit on hills and struggles to climb steep inclines meaning it isn't quite the mountain goat that the UDES is, but it certainly isn't slow and the 45kph reverse speed means retreating is very easy and you don't have to waste time traversing the hull. When in travel mode they can't elevate or depress the gun and have awful gun handling.

Enter siege mode and the gun becomes a very high precision weapon, gets amazing gun depression and can elevate fairly well. Mobility drops to 8kph however. The time required to enter siege mode is 2 seconds, whilst exiting siege mode takes around 1.5 seconds. Mastering when to enter and exit siege is key to doing well in these tanks, but is something that will come with experience. It can be frustrating initially but as you get used to it, it can bring a nice unique gameplay element to WoT and the noise the hydraulic suspension makes is quite cool. Another perk of siege is that you can traverse the hull without de-activating camo net or binocs. Moving forward or backwards will deactivate them though.

The mobility of the tank has been covered in this section, so onto the gun. 

Firepower

First, the bad bit. When in travel they aren't good for much except a lucky snapshot at a flanking light tank, due to no gun depression/elevation, a 3 second aiming time and .4 accuracy. When in siege mode  things get far better.

The gun now gets near non existent aiming time, and .3 accuracy. Combine this with an extremely fast shell velocity of over 1000 metres per second and 288mm pen on the standard shell and you have a very dangerous gun that can easily snapshot slower moving tanks even at range and can cut through any tank it meets with realitive ease. Should you need more penetration, the premium shell gets 330mm of pen. This tank doesn't have to worry about its shells bouncing often and is a legitimate threat to any tank, even tier Xs. 

The average damage of the non HE shells is 390 and with a rammer the reload drops to under 9 seconds. 

Armour and survivability

This is interesting. The Strv S1/stark only get 30mm of armour at the front, back and sides. Sounds like anything will pen them. That isn't the case. The frontal armour is angled so steeply that any shell (except HEAT and HE) fired from a gun with a calibre of 90mm or less will autobounce. HEAT shells don't autobounce unless the armour is angled at around 85 degrees, and the Strv armour is angled at 75 degrees so be wary of that and pay attention to your enemies shell tracer.

Any gun with a calibre above 90mm will overmatch your armour and take a large chunk of your hp, so the armour goes from being amazing to useless very quickly. The TD only gets 1000hp, so every hit point is precious, and you can be one shot by arty and plenty of tier X TDs except the Foch 155, Grille 15, Waffle 263 and maybe the new Chinese one, i don't know what gun that has tbh. This isn't a tough TD and you do not want to be the focus of enemy fire. 

Vision and camo

The base view range is 350 so don't expect to outspot tanks when in travel mode. Odds on you will have binocs equipped so when they are on you will be able to spot tanks quite easily. The camo is fairly good, until you fire. When you fire the TD gets lit up very easily. However with a net and some crew skills this can be fixed. In general though your ideal firing spots should be behind a bush with a ridge nearby so you can hide if need be. 

Equipment, consumables and crew skills

I'll keep this bit brief.

Equipment:

Rammer

Net

Binocs. 

For consumables i just use the fairly standard setup of small repair, small first aid and auto fire extinguisher. Ammo wise i take mainly AP with 8 premium and 2 HE for resetting a cap if things get desperate. 

Crew skill wise you're going to want sixth sense, BiA, repairs, muffled shot (this helped more then camo), then camo, silent driving, both view range perks, then clutch braking and after that work on whatever you think will be best for you. 

Playstyle

It's purely a sniper. I tried to see if it could be played aggressively and it ended badly. Stay at least 200-300m away from enemies, try and use terrain and gun depression to minimize exposure and fall back if you need to, you can't play hero in this tank. Other than that, you need to get used to siege mode and the time it takes to enter and leave it but like i said that comes with experience. Learn from your mistakes and this tank will go from being awkward to very fun and deadly but there is a learning curve, be ready for that. 

Would i recommend it?

In my opinion the tank requires a good knowledge of both maps and tank weaponry to be played to its full potential. If you don't know the difference between the gun calibre of the weapons used by a Pershing and a Patton, or can't tell if a Tiger 2 is using an 88mm or a 105mm by the appearance of the gun then you will struggle to make use of the armour. 

With that said you could just use it as a glass canon, play it safe and still enjoy the tank. If you like the sniper playstyle, want to try siege mode or just want a unique playstyle in a premium tank, then i (hesitantly) recommend it, just be prepared for the learning curve. This isn't a tank most people can jump in and dominate with, it takes time to learn how to use it. Crew skills help alot. I had no crew skills and i hated it (which is why i said hesitantly), i now have sixth sense, BiA, muffled shot and repairs training and the tank went from being pretty bad to a ninja. If you have a good crew waiting, then i definitely recommend the tank. 

It is situational and map dependent, so if you want a stat padder pick up a Tiger 131 instead. 

MASHMAN 90 #2 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26459 battles
Nice Review, Repairs also helps for the 103 B :)

Youtube

Twitter

Grovyle from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life. While I live, I want to shine. I want to prove that I exist. If I could do something really important... That would definitely carry on into the future.

butsubutsu #3 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21157 battles

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 10 April 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Review of the tier 8 Strv S1

What is it?

The Strv s1, and the Stark variant, are tier 8 Swedish premium tank destroyers. They are snipers and both have siege mode, with guns fixed to the hull. To traverse the gun you have to traverse the entire hull. They offer unique playstyles among premiums due to this and that will be their main appeal to those looking to buy. They get amazing penetration, the best in tier 8, and due to this they make alot of silver, as they have a 60% silver bonus. The AP shells do cost 1000 silver however so do try not to miss too many shots. The crew xp bonus is only 10% however so that is worth bearing in mind. 

What is siege mode?

This is unique to the Swedish TD line, starting at tier 8. These TDs have to chose between using travel or siege mode. In travel, the Strv/Stark get good mobility, 50kph forward and 45kph when in reverse. However the engine horsepower isn't amazing, it will slow down a kit on hills and struggles to climb steep inclines meaning it isn't quite the mountain goat that the UDES is, however it certainly isn't slow and the 45kph reverse speed means retreating is very easy and you don't have to waste time traversing the hull. When in travel mode they can't elevate or depress the gun and have awful gun handling.

Enter siege mode however and the gun becomes a very high precision weapon, gets amazing gun depression and can elevate fairly well. Mobility drops to 8kph however. The time required to enter siege mode is 2 seconds, whilst exiting siege mode takes around 1.5 seconds. Mastering when to enter and exit siege is key to doing well in these tanks, but is something that will come with experience. It can be frustrating initially but as you get used to it, it can bring a nice unique gameplay element to WoT and the noise the hydraulic suspension makes is quite cool. Another perk of siege is that you can traverse the hull without de-activating camo net or binocs. Moving forward or backwards will deactivate them though.

The mobility of the tank has been covered in this section, so onto the gun. 

Firepower

First, the bad bit. When in travel they aren't good for much except a lucky snapshot at a flanking light tank, due to no gun depression/elevation, a 3 second aiming time and .4 accuracy. When in siege mode however, things get far better.

The gun now gets near non existent aiming time, and .3 accuracy. Combine this with an extremely fast shell velocity of over 1000 metres per second and 288mm pen on the standard shell and you have a very dangerous gun that can easily snapshot slower moving tanks even at range and can cut through any tank it meets with realitive ease. Should you need more penetration, the premium shell gets 330mm of pen. This tank doesn't have to worry about its shells bouncing often and is a legitimate threat to any tank, even tier Xs. 

The average damage of the non HE shells is 390 and with a rammer the reload drops to under 9 seconds. 

Armour and survivability

This is interesting. The Strv S1/stark only get 30mm of armour at the front, back and sides. Sounds like anything will pen them. That isn't the case. The frontal armour is angled so steeply that any shell (except HEAT and HE) fired from a gun with a calibre of 90mm or less will autobounce. HEAT shells don't autobounce unless the armour is angled at around 85 degrees, and the Strv armour is angled at 75 degrees so be wary of that and pay attention to your enemies shell tracer.

Any gun with a calibre above 90mm will overmatch your armour and take a large chunk of your hp, so the armour goes from being amazing to useless very quickly. The TD only gets 1000hp, so every hit point is precious, and you can be one shot by arty and plenty of tier X TDs except the Foch 155, Grille 15, Waffle 263 and maybe the new Chinese one, i don't know what gun that has tbh. This isn't a tough TD and you do not want to be the focus of enemy fire. 

Vision and camo

The base view range is 350 so don't expect to outspot tanks when in travel mode. Odds on you will have binocs equipped so when they are on you will be able to spot tanks quite easily. The camo is fairly good, until you fire. When you fire the TD gets lit up very easily. However with a net and some crew skills this can be fixed. In general though your ideal firing spots should be behind a bush with a ridge nearby so you can hide if need be. 

Equipment, consumables and crew skills

I'll keep this bit brief.

Equipment:

Rammer

Net

Binocs. 

For consumables i just use the fairly standard setup of small repair, small first aid and auto fire extinguisher. Ammo wise i take mainly AP with 8 premium and 2 HE for resetting a cap if things get desperate. 

Crew skill wise you're going to want sixth sense, BiA, repairs, muffled shot (this helped more then camo), then camo, silent driving, both view range perks, then clutch braking and after that work on whatever you think will be best for you. 

Playstyle

It's purely a sniper. I tried to see if it could be played aggressively and it ended badly. Stay at least 200-300m away from enemies, try and use terrain and gun depression to minimize exposure and fall back if you need to, you can't play hero in this tank. Other than that, you need to get used to siege mode and the time it takes to enter and leave it but like i said that comes with experience. Learn from your mistakes and this tank will go from being awkward to very fun and deadly but there is a learning curve, be ready for that. 

Would i recommend it?

In my opinion the tank requires a good knowledge of both maps and tank weaponry to be played to its full potential. If you don't know the difference between the gun calibre of a Pershing and a Patton, or can't tell if a Tiger 2 is using an 88mm or a 105mm by the appearance of the gun then you will struggle to make use of the armour. 

With that said you could just use it as a glass canon, play it safe and still enjoy the tank. If you like the sniper playstyle, want to try siege mode or just want a unique playstyle in a premium tank, then i (hesitantly) recommend it, just be prepared for the learning curve. This isn't a tank most people can jump in and dominate with, it takes time to learn how to use it. Crew skills help alot. I had no crew skills and i hated it (which is why i said hesitantly), however i now have sixth sense, BiA, muffled shot and repairs training and the tank went from being pretty bad to a ninja. If you have a good crew waiting, then i definitely recommend the tank. 

Very good review! I already own the flag version of the tank and it is a fun and interesting tank to play, but you are spot on with more or less all your points. 

PANDoGGA #4 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24384 battles
  • [BLAK]

No need for a fire extinguisher, take food instead.

When you are spotted get out of siege mode immediately and abscond.

YouTube

R35T NO MORE #5 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13781 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostPANDoGGA, on 10 April 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

No need for a fire extinguisher, take food instead.

When you are spotted get out of siege mode immediately and abscond.

I did that, then got set on fire 3 games later (sods law). 

zZGROGZz #6 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 18690 battles
  • [RATT]

Thanks for the review R35T. I’ve been struggling with it after buying it last week. Virgin crew, training cammo.

If anyone has gameplay vids of it, I would greatly appreciate seeing a few.

Also, if anyone can provide the link to the map position thread from a couple of years back, that would be great too.

Again, Cheers R35T. 

!KING OF THE POTATO SKRUBLORDS!

R35T NO MORE #7 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13781 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostzZGROGZz, on 10 April 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Thanks for the review R35T. I’ve been struggling with it after buying it last week. Virgin crew, training cammo.

Also, if anyone can provide the link to the map position thread from a couple of years back, that would be great too.

Again, Cher’s R35T. 

A couple of crew skills really do transform the tank mate. War Stories Live fire can be used to help train the crew if need be. 

Here's that map guide: http://bit.ly/tankguide

zZGROGZz #8 Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 18690 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 10 April 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

A couple of crew skills really do transform the tank mate. War Stories Live fire can be used to help train the crew if need be. 

Here's that map guide: http://bit.ly/tankguide

I did try and run a few in WS, but I think I’m being too aggressive with it. Not used to sniping and sitting back.

I guess patience really is a virtue. Lol.

Will have to work on it a bit.

Edit:- thanks for map guide. +1.:great:

XERXEZS #9 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 20758 battles
Great review, I always wanted this tank, but I didn't win it in March madness, so now I forgot about it.

StockrA #10 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 18086 battles

Again, Cheers R35T. 

I've got two vids uploading now.  Did you manage to win any of the metal band crew? 

Xenith_Inc #11 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Major

• Players
  • 4945 battles

Did you get the Tomte last christmas? Any of the Sabaton crew last autumn? They come with one base skill. 

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

Tempest fox3 #12 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17750 battles
The strv-s1 is why I increased the amount of heat I carry in my Type-62. When the s tank was released there were so many of them in the Mm.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75 - In order obtained

StockrA #13 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 18086 battles

Here you go

Im running rammer vents and bino, just working on camo skills now

zZGROGZz #14 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 18690 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostStockrA, on 10 April 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

I've got two vids uploading now.  Did you manage to win any of the metal band crew? 

View PostXenith_Inc, on 10 April 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

Did you get the Tomte last christmas? Any of the Sabaton crew last autumn? They come with one base skill. 

Unfortunately I was on a bit of a break when the Sabaton crew was an offer.

I think I may have the Tomte. Unsure though. Is that the little tier 2 swede premium?

zZGROGZz #15 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 18690 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostStockrA, on 10 April 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Here you go

Im running rammer vents and bino, just working on camo skills now

Thanks for the vids mate, will watch them in a little while.:great:

R35T NO MORE #16 Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13781 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostzZGROGZz, on 10 April 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think I may have the Tomte. Unsure though. Is that the little tier 2 swede premium?

Yeah it's the tier 2 Christmas tank. 

StockrA #17 Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18086 battles

View PostzZGROGZz, on 10 April 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Has a 70% xp boost, compared to 10% on the S1, but it's tier 2.  If you can afford the m/42, thats an alright trainer, just struggles when bottom tier tho

Edited by StockrA, 10 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Kebabsaurus Rex #18 Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14284 battles
  • [BNKR-]

R3ST, did you snipe with it the vast majority of the time? 

just wondering if you got a bit closer to the action every so often.

R35T NO MORE #19 Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13781 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostKebabsaurus Rex, on 10 April 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

R3ST, did you snipe with it the vast majority of the time? 

just wondering if you got a bit closer to the action every so often.

I did snipe quite a bit, if there are only a couple of reds left alive then it can play the assassin role quite well but it's very risky. 

SpartanFire71 #20 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20328 battles
  • [-NB-]
+1

Arty players hate the game.  Gotta love being able to not use the full map because you must be "arty safe!" 

Also tagged with Thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users