How to kill the Churchill VII

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Matthew J35U5 #1 Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

The Churchill VII has formidable armour from the front. The weakest areas of the frontal armour are 139 mm thick, with the strongest areas on the frontal hull and turret being 152 mm thick. That means that the weakpoints on the front of the Churchill VII are about as strong as the strong hull armour on the M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman. The Churchill also has a formidable gun, while the 77 mm has low alpha damage, it has strong penetration and a high rate of fire, while also being quite accurate. 

So, what should you do against a Churchill VII? Well, the usual strategy to use against Heavy tanks with sluggish traverse speeds is to circle them and shoot them in their vulnerable side and rear armour. Does this work against the Churchill VII? Not really. You can get around to the rear of a Churchill VII and it doesn't have very strong armour there, but it will still be shooting you, and most of the tanks that have the speed to do this don't have the health, armour or dpm to out-fight the Churchill like this. If you happen to be in a position where you can shoot at a Churchill VII from the side or rear, that will certainly work, but rushing one to try and circle one will not work well because the Churchill will shoot you repeatedly as you try and do this. 

So, what crippling weakpoint should you learn to use against the Churchill VII? Shoot the front tracks. The tracks themselves provide 20 mm of armour, and the frontal hull beneath the tracks have 57 mm of armour. That means that you only need 77 mm of penetration to semi-reliably damage the Churchill VII from the front, rather than the 140+ mm you would appear to need from the listed armour values. As an added benefit, this will also immobilize the Churchill VII, preventing him from moving around to make it more difficult to penetrate his weakpoints. 

To summarize:

Don't try and circle a Churchill VII because most tanks can't actually trade damage with the Churchill VII effectively. It has more health, and its dpm is higher than yours. You also probably can't circle the Churchill VII fast enough to keep it from shooting you.

Don't shoot the frontal armour or turret face. They have 139 mm of armour at the minimum, 152 at the maximum, and unlike the Churchill I, the Churchill VII's armour actually is 152 mm at most places. 

Shoot the tracks from the front, and retreat into cover to reload. This will prevent the Churchill from moving, will damage its health pool, and by trading 1 shot at a time with the Churchill it is much more likely you can win a fight when the Churchill can't use its dpm advantage over you. 

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

DbulHelix #2 Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12519 battles
Decent guide. Nice work.

FancyTuna8 #3 Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22635 battles
  • [HNG9]

thanks, I knew to shoot the tacks and somehow forgot over the past 2 weeks.  good reminder

bleds #4 Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8990 battles

brings to mind some other good advice on what seem to be suicide missions...

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

Edited by bleds, 21 February 2014 - 10:50 PM.

Nocturnal814 #5 Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 16690 battles
Also try shooting from slightly below when shooting into the tracks as the Churchill's gun depression is abysmal

something, something, something, dark side...

Matthew J35U5 #6 Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostNocturnal814, on 21 February 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Also try shooting from slightly below when shooting into the tracks as the Churchill's gun depression is abysmal

The gun elevation is equally abysmal. Westfield is my most hated map with that thing. Unless you're on the flat upper section you'll always be struggling to shoot your targets.

Death in Jest #7 Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 13992 battles
I do a lot of damage shooting the drivers vision slot or the mg on the front of the Churchill VII. Rounds from my Jagd Panther go straight through. Same thing works on the Black Prince as well. I still look for flank shots though as it's such a big target and the armours like butter.

For Hire.....

Matthew J35U5 #8 Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostDeath in Jest, on 22 February 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

I do a lot of damage shooting the drivers vision slot or the mg on the front of the Churchill VII. Rounds from my Jagd Panther go straight through. Same thing works on the Black Prince as well. I still look for flank shots though as it's such a big target and the armours like butter.

Yeah, those are the 139 mm armour zones. I think that you have a good chance to shoot through any of the armour zones with your 200 mm penetration on the JPanther though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users