Type-61 w/90mm: What STA-1 should have been?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Godroyah2000 #1 Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:09 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles
Im sure this has been discussed, but I’m curious since I’m grinding the Type-61 currently. Currently running the strongest 90mm package on it (working to the 105). Having mixed success but finding that when this tank does well w/the 90mm it does REALLY well (3400 damage dealt in my last match). Given how underwhelming it’s other stats are at tier 9 and how underwhelming it’s predecessor is at tier 8, I’m curious what people’s opinion is: is the Type-61 with the 90 what the STA one should have been at tier 8? And I don’t claim to be the best player (though I’m certainly not the worst); just curious for thoughts.

redmike1617 #2 Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:02 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15283 battles
I love the 90mm on the Type 61, unfortunately there is that big tumor on top of the turret.

XGR369er #3 Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40022 battles
I liked the sta so much more then this.  It has the same pen and alpha but if it would have had the same rate of fire and zoom.  Oh it would be an amazing tank.  I'll be honest.  I found the type 61 as I said in another post to be one of the worst tanks in the game to do well in without being in a platoon.  It is as you said.  When your situation is perfect.  The 90 and it's dpm is crazy good if you have all the crew perks and running the food, something like a shot ever 4 seconds.  i had some great games where i was wrecking people and couldn't stop firing the gun.  Problem for me was these were far and few in between.  Too many times my teammates were terrible and i couldn't use the high fire rate on a distracted enemy.  I find you spend alot of time sitting behind a rock or something waiting for opportunity.  It has the tumor and crappy camo so you can't even snipe very well in it.  The second you fire unless you are in the back of the map you are detected and having to move or hide.  So no repeat shot like in a TD.  Another problem is that it is so slow for having no armor.  They really should bump that.  So much slower then say the leopard pta.  The 105 is nice when it hits.  Again the accuracy for a paper medium is the worst of all of them but it has nice pen and damage but i was always finding myself thinking i could have done much better in almost any other tier 9 especially a TD.  I got to a point where i just free exped the last like 6k because i had had enough of this Crap box.  sold it instantly best feeling i have had in this game was to get rid of it.

Unkempt #4 Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18970 battles
  • [SRT]
A 4 second reload 90mm at tier 8 would be broken. The 90mm is fun on the Type 61 and then you run into some tier 10 superheavies/TDs and wish you had the pen/alpha of the 105mm. To each his own, but the 105mm was more consistent for me IMO. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

Godroyah2000 #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:25 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostUnkempt, on 04 June 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

A 4 second reload 90mm at tier 8 would be broken. The 90mm is fun on the Type 61 and then you run into some tier 10 superheavies/TDs and wish you had the pen/alpha of the 105mm. To each his own, but the 105mm was more consistent for me IMO. 

Yeah, I mean, I’m not necessarily advocating the ROF be quite that high, but both tanks feel like they need some love to me. The STA 1 just didn’t feel like it had anything special going for it. Finally got the 105 on the Type and 60,000 exp. later I sold the damn thing out of pure frustration. Crap gun handling and low ammo count means you have to expose yourself for ridiculous amounts of time just to reliably hit things. I honestly found the 90 more enjoyable, and i found myself wondering why they didn’t just make the 90 have between 230-240 pen and call it a day. It just feels like it has nothing going for it compared to other tier 9 meds, and is pick any other in a one-on-one fight any day. I’ll pick it up again once my hatred for it has simmered, but I just got fed up and moved on to more fun vehicles.

Godroyah2000 #6 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostXGR369er, on 04 June 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

I liked the sta so much more then this.  It has the same pen and alpha but if it would have had the same rate of fire and zoom.  Oh it would be an amazing tank.  I'll be honest.  I found the type 61 as I said in another post to be one of the worst tanks in the game to do well in without being in a platoon.  It is as you said.  When your situation is perfect.  The 90 and it's dpm is crazy good if you have all the crew perks and running the food, something like a shot ever 4 seconds.  i had some great games where i was wrecking people and couldn't stop firing the gun.  Problem for me was these were far and few in between.  Too many times my teammates were terrible and i couldn't use the high fire rate on a distracted enemy.  I find you spend alot of time sitting behind a rock or something waiting for opportunity.  It has the tumor and crappy camo so you can't even snipe very well in it.  The second you fire unless you are in the back of the map you are detected and having to move or hide.  So no repeat shot like in a TD.  Another problem is that it is so slow for having no armor.  They really should bump that.  So much slower then say the leopard pta.  The 105 is nice when it hits.  Again the accuracy for a paper medium is the worst of all of them but it has nice pen and damage but i was always finding myself thinking i could have done much better in almost any other tier 9 especially a TD.  I got to a point where i just free exped the last like 6k because i had had enough of this Crap box.  sold it instantly best feeling i have had in this game was to get rid of it.

Yeah, there pretty much isn’t a thing this tank does that another medium doesn’t do better. 32 rounds for the 105 with that rate of fire is ridiculous, especially when it’s pretty much cursed with bad stats elsewhere across the entire board.

Orbtastic1 #7 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42127 battles
  • [UK]

I've seen some vids of the 90mm with food and skills etc, DPM is awesome but means nothing if you can't pen your shots.

The 105 is the way to go as it has better pen/performance/limits your exposure. I've had some games where people are peek a booming me in a heavy and they can chip away at your health.

Unkempt #8 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18970 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostGodroyah2000, on 06 June 2018 - 12:25 AM, said:

Yeah, I mean, I’m not necessarily advocating the ROF be quite that high, but both tanks feel like they need some love to me. The STA 1 just didn’t feel like it had anything special going for it. Finally got the 105 on the Type and 60,000 exp. later I sold the damn thing out of pure frustration. Crap gun handling and low ammo count means you have to expose yourself for ridiculous amounts of time just to reliably hit things. I honestly found the 90 more enjoyable, and i found myself wondering why they didn’t just make the 90 have between 230-240 pen and call it a day. It just feels like it has nothing going for it compared to other tier 9 meds, and is pick any other in a one-on-one fight any day. I’ll pick it up again once my hatred for it has simmered, but I just got fed up and moved on to more fun vehicles.

The STA-2 is what the STA-1 dreams it could be. I think the only thing I truly disliked about the STA-1 was the speed. So slow for a medium. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

Godroyah2000 #9 Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:19 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostUnkempt, on 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

The STA-2 is what the STA-1 dreams it could be. I think the only thing I truly disliked about the STA-1 was the speed. So slow for a medium. 

Honestly, even this would make both the STA-1 and Type better. It just needs to be able to minimize its exposure somehow if it’s not going to be given the armor to hold out.

Wroclaw #10 Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 57213 battles

View PostUnkempt, on 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

where you bounce with the STA-2, you pen with the STA-1.

Orbtastic1 #11 Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 42127 battles
  • [UK]
The shell velocity is much better too

Donk67 #12 Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22817 battles
I'm running the 105mm finally, it's been an arduous grind, I'll be glad when this is over....... The 90 was well, ah it's in the past now. it's been so long I can't even remember! Much better aim time on the 90 though, that I do remember...........:mellow:

"Shoot low and hit them in the sprockets"

"That should take the fight out of them"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users