German heavys or Japenese heavys?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Surazaku #1 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Private

• Players
  • 87 battles
So I am new to the game and wanted to ask before I invest time into a nation which nation has the better heavy tanks German or Japenese?  I have heard people say Japan and German tanks are both really good but I want to make sure I pick right.

TeichMegagamer #2 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2906 battles
  • [GRAP]

For a beginner I'd really recommend the Japanese line. They are big, slow and have big derp guns so you won't have to aim for any weak points.

Also to note is the American tech tree. They have those jack of all trades tanks that can do everything pretty well but are not perfect at a specific point like the Germans. So they offer a great learning curve for new players and don't give you disadvantages that you can't handle.

Welcome to the forum btw! 

Also: check out some forum/ YouTube newcomers guides and feel free to ask me and other forumers via pm for advice. Most people will help you out.

Tips to improve your skill

chevy235_1951 #3 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8678 battles
  • [WIEN]

Vk36.01 - Tiger - Tiger II - E75 line is great.

O-I exp, O-I and O-Ni are also fun, but after that it gets worse

tonygillott #4 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29949 battles

View PostSurazaku, on 17 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

So I am new to the game and wanted to ask before I invest time into a nation which nation has the better heavy tanks German or Japenese?  I have heard people say Japan and German tanks are both really good but I want to make sure I pick right.

Here’s how I see it

All lines have good and bad tanks

To generalise: USA - good tanks, very good at everything without having any strengths or weaknesses

UK weak armour, fast firing guns hard to play well

Germany great accurate guns can be awesome snipers but can also brawl

Soviets hard hitting guns but inaccurate, best brawlers and close contact

China cheap soviets (sorry China)

Japan VERY slow moving, bad gun depression, hits hard when it hits. Arty magnet. Great armour but with weak spots, good players know where they are. 

My advice is go USA or if the choice has to be Germany or Japan, I would choose Germany everytime. All those heavies are great

Surazaku #5 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

Private

• Players
  • 87 battles
So I was using the D.W.2 German heavy tank and I was firing at the side of a medium tank and I was getting no penetration but the medium tank was shoot me all to hell despite being angled and of coarse having more armor how is that possible?

SHRiIVIP #6 Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:26 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15197 battles
  • [-NL-]

View Posttonygillott, on 17 May 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Here’s how I see it

All lines have good and bad tanks

To generalise: USA - good tanks, very good at everything without having any strengths or weaknesses

UK weak armour, fast firing guns hard to play well

Germany great accurate guns can be awesome snipers but can also brawl

Soviets hard hitting guns but inaccurate, best brawlers and close contact

China cheap soviets (sorry China)

Japan VERY slow moving, bad gun depression, hits hard when it hits. Arty magnet. Great armour but with weak spots, good players know where they are. 

My advice is go USA or if the choice has to be Germany or Japan, I would choose Germany everytime. All those heavies are great

The only thing that needs to be clarified is that mid tier German heavies are good snipers. Tier 9 and 10 are very much not and should never be used that way. 

But to answer OP go with an American, German, or Russian line first. If it's between Germany and Japan choose Germany every time.

Former Account: HappeningShrimp

44 Tanks with 3 MoE

Spoiler

sumplkrum #7 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

Major

• Players
  • 12344 battles

View PostSurazaku, on 17 May 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

So I was using the D.W.2 German heavy tank and I was firing at the side of a medium tank and I was getting no penetration but the medium tank was shoot me all to hell despite being angled and of coarse having more armor how is that possible?

DW2 is one of the few Tech Tree tanks that gets preferential match making. It's that bad.
The guns have terrible penetration and accuracy. If you have the silver, use premium ammo.
German armor is also proof against nothing. German armor doesn't actually get any good until the E-75, VK-45B, or VK-100P. Until then, it's better to play as if you have no armor.

Grind to the VK30H as quick as you can. It's basically the same tank, but with a great gun.
Stat masturbation:

Xenith_Inc #8 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 4945 battles

As per, What I would do is get to the german tier 6 36.01, which is by all accounts a great tank.

Then get to the 0-I Exp, play with both and see which you like the most. 

The low tier japanese tanks (91, 95) are awful and have terrible armour, so stay hidden. 

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

Albapfalzd3 #9 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13295 battles

I would recommend the U.S. Heavy line for a beginner. I believe it is the most user friendly. But it doesn't start until Tier V which is actually kind of a good thing as you gain some experience getting there. As for the Japanese and German I would recommend the German line only because it is the least painful getting to your first decent tank. Tier V is the Tier where most Nations get their first Heavy Tanks but on the Japanese side you have to grind your way through two terrible heavy tanks starting at Tier III, the Type 91 (the only Tier III heavy in the game and no one is afraid of it) and then at Tier IV the Type 95 (one of two heavies at this Tier and again one no one is afraid of). These things are really not that good at all. On the German side you just have the D.W. to work through and although it isn't really all that good as a heavy tank it is the best heavy at Tier IV and isn't terrible as a Heavy Medium tank.  

Roy

sumplkrum #10 Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 12344 battles
^
American T1 ... slowly move up to the T-29.
Take your time with those and learn the game.

Focus on playing 'hull-down' to protect your tank. Those skills carry over to a lot of other tanks.
When you get the T-29, add in side-scraping so you know how to do that too.

The Russian KV-1 is also a good starter tank. Go up the line to the IS-3.

The Japanese heavies are pretty easy to play, but they're also one-dimensional and you don't really learn the skills you need for other tanks.

Low-tier German heavies are more fragile. Better to play them more like slow mediums.

The French and British heavies aren't good for beginners. If your gonna play Chinese heavies, the Russian tanks are easier to learn because you've got the KV-1 at tier V.

Edited by sumplkrum, 18 May 2018 - 04:38 PM.

Stat masturbation:

TURDF3RG3S0N #11 Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14081 battles
  • [TNA]

View Postsumplkrum, on 18 May 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

^
American T1 ... slowly move up to the T-29.
Take your time with those and learn the game.

Focus on playing 'hull-down' to protect your tank. Those skills carry over to a lot of other tanks.
When you get the T-29, add in side-scraping so you know how to do that too.

The Russian KV-1 is also a good starter tank. Go up the line to the IS-3.

The Japanese heavies are pretty easy to play, but they're also one-dimensional and you don't really learn the skills you need for other tanks.

Low-tier German heavies are more fragile. Better to play them more like slow mediums.

The French and British heavies aren't good for beginners. If your gonna play Chinese heavies, the Russian tanks are easier to learn because you've got the KV-1 at tier V.

​The KV-1 is probably the best "starter heavy" IMHO.  

Soviet tanks are good for beginners.  Just point and shoot, and let RNG and Stalin do the rest.

Just don't go up to the KV-2, be silly and try to "aim"

BootlessPick #12 Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10508 battles
  • [WOTH]
German all the way. (Not saying you shouldn’t do still the Japanese heavy line)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users