Sixth Sense, visibility and Arty

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

donny007-THX #1 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

First lieutenant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 7392 battles
  • [NLD01]

Today was on Mountain Pass in Lycan that has coated optics and crew with Sixth Sense, amongst other skills.  Was very slowly working my way up a hill that is in the Red cap looking for last arty, specifically a M53/M55.

The situation is as I am turning the corner there is no indication arty is there.  No Sixth alert, no spotted or targeted alert.  Arty springs out and shotguns my face off.  Distance was about 20 meters.  He knew I was there, exactly where I was.....I was completely blind to his presence.

Is there anything as a player I can do to avoid this happening?  Seems like a poor game design to allow one type of tank to have apparent 100% positional knowledge but not have a “Vision Scout” possess similar capability.

I take it Sixth Sense does not sense Arty at all, even from 20 meters.

Thoughts, tips and suggestions are welcome.

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #2 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 37044 battles
  • [BNKR]

If you had a dead commander by that point, you will not get a 6th indication. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

allhavoc #3 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 38142 battles
  • [10SR]

Proximity spotting range is 50m, meaning you should have automatically spotted the arty if they were that close.

Sixth-Sense does not work if your commander is knocked-out, could that have been the case?

But, yes I agree... arty is a poor game design.  You can be doing everything right and still get nuked.

[10SR]  

HawkZ71 #4 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 18072 battles
  • [RSMOJ]
That automatic 50m detection should only be line of sight through soft cover (bushes). I was in a battle on Live Oaks where I watched the last tank...a TD move from the spawn to the courtyard of that large "L" shaped building next to the flag. I rolled up to the building undetected...planning to wait until the light got there. As soon as I got up to the building we both detected each other...even though he was parked on the other side in the corner. No way are tanks going to detect each other on opposite sides of a large brick building. That was just stupid and WG should change the way auto-detect works.

ABAOUIA #5 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35179 battles
What if the guy from the "Binocular" icon is dead ?

That makes the spotting ability of your light tank 0 right ?

Neurotic Cell #6 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19797 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostHawkZ71, on 17 May 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

That automatic 50m detection should only be line of sight through soft cover (bushes). I was in a battle on Live Oaks where I watched the last tank...a TD move from the spawn to the courtyard of that large "L" shaped building next to the flag. I rolled up to the building undetected...planning to wait until the light got there. As soon as I got up to the building we both detected each other...even though he was parked on the other side in the corner. No way are tanks going to detect each other on opposite sides of a large brick building. That was just stupid and WG should change the way auto-detect works.

I think the abstract concept is that your commander can hear a tank on the other side of a building.  They are loud machines.

"Win or lose, naught to choose - all men are equal when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave." - Motörhead “Deaf Forever”

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #7 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 37044 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostABAOUIA, on 17 May 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

That's the commander, and it negates you knowing you are detected. Not sure if it makes your spotting ability non existent though. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

Albapfalzd3 #8 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11708 battles

View PostNeurotic Cell, on 17 May 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

I think the abstract concept is that your commander can hear a tank on the other side of a building.  They are loud machines.

Yep you can hear that loud machine 50 meters away on the other side of that building from inside your loud machine and know exactly where they are. Lovely mechanic isn't it?

Roy

donny007-THX #9 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

First lieutenant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 7392 battles
  • [NLD01]

Well good info so far.  I neglected to state my tank and crew were in full health.  Luckily had not taken a hit up to that one and done deal.  Also, there were no other reds on this half of the map so I don’t think there was a radio com info share either.

Yes I was thinking there was a 50meter radious for auto detect....It may be that arty was rolling towards me and once I saw him he already closed the gap at that point.  Only thing is he absolutely knew I was there.....

I guess I could play some arty to see what is happening here from a game play perspective.  I guess they can see in more situations than tanks can.  

PATRIOTICxTBro #10 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11699 battles
  • [-HOW-]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 17 May 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Well good info so far.  I neglected to state my tank and crew were in full health.  Luckily had not taken a hit up to that one and done deal.  Also, there were no other reds on this half of the map so I don’t think there was a radio com info share either.

Yes I was thinking there was a 50meter radious for auto detect....It may be that arty was rolling towards me and once I saw him he already closed the gap at that point.  Only thing is he absolutely knew I was there.....

I guess I could play some arty to see what is happening here from a game play perspective.  I guess they can see in more situations than tanks can.  

if you still have the replay option you should watch it to see it from their perspective

Ask me how to join -HOW- 2nd armored Hell on Wheels

Beta582 #11 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18515 battles
  • [TANK]

View PostABAOUIA, on 17 May 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Incorrect. The "Binocular Icon" is for your Commander who does handle your view range. Say your vehicle has 340m of view range. If your Commander gets knocked out, your view range is cut to about 50% meaning 170m base value (the actual value without any additional modifiers is about 194m). Of course this number is then modified by perks like Recon and Situational Awareness.

Essentially, if your Commander is knocked out, your view range is about halved.

Beta582's Guide to Everything (Updated 12-07-2017)       Beta582's Tank Suggestion Compilation

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a dinner party, "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" Winston replied, "Madam if I were your husband I would drink it!"

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/beta582                         Youtube Channel: Beta582

donny007-THX #12 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

First lieutenant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 7392 battles
  • [NLD01]

View PostPATRIOTICxTBro, on 17 May 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

if you still have the replay option you should watch it to see it from their perspective

Outstanding.....I should have thought of this.  Unfortunately it is not available.  Looks like the stored replays become unavailable after 2 hours or a certain number of games are played.  I need to remember this replay system!

Albapfalzd3 #13 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11708 battles

View Postdonny007-THX, on 17 May 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Outstanding.....I should have thought of this.  Unfortunately it is not available.  Looks like the stored replays become unavailable after 2 hours or a certain number of games are played.  I need to remember this replay system!

You can review the last ten matches I believe then they drop off.

Roy

MaxChaos24 #14 Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 11605 battles
  • [WGW]
I'll take a look. :great:

Akumahito #15 Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9105 battles
  • [MOAB]

The other possibility here though is that one of his teammates, from further away than you can see, actually spotted you without pointing their turret at you.  Thus he would have had good intel on your position and movements.

The1970Hooper #16 Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7568 battles
  • [GUYS]
The crew I have in my tier 10 arty has all the camo, silent gun, quiet driving etc. that a crew can have. Maybe you went up against something like that?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

ABAOUIA #17 Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35179 battles

View PostBeta582, on 17 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

Incorrect. The "Binocular Icon" is for your Commander who does handle your view range. Say your vehicle has 340m of view range. If your Commander gets knocked out, your view range is cut to about 50% meaning 170m base value (the actual value without any additional modifiers is about 194m). Of course this number is then modified by perks like Recon and Situational Awareness.

Essentially, if your Commander is knocked out, your view range is about halved.

Ok, but issnt it strange then that when he is alive, you know when tanks are "targetting" you...

But when he dies you don't get the notice ?

I mean like why would you be able to still spot tanks, but don't know when they are targetting ya ?

Or am i just mixing things up in the wrong way ? Kinda confusing if you think to long about it lol...

Beta582 #18 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18515 battles
  • [TANK]

View PostABAOUIA, on 17 May 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

Ok, but issnt it strange then that when he is alive, you know when tanks are "targetting" you...

But when he dies you don't get the notice ?

I mean like why would you be able to still spot tanks, but don't know when they are targetting ya ?

Or am i just mixing things up in the wrong way ? Kinda confusing if you think to long about it lol...

For this bit we need to fudge a bit and just say "It's a video game". Just like in reality, the Commander, Gunner, Driver, and assistant driver (where applicable) all usually have their own periscopes for vision purposes.

Targeted! should work regardless of the current health of the Commander. Are you thinking of Sixth Sense perhaps? That does not function if the Commander is knocked out.

Beta582's Guide to Everything (Updated 12-07-2017)       Beta582's Tank Suggestion Compilation

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a dinner party, "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" Winston replied, "Madam if I were your husband I would drink it!"

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/beta582                         Youtube Channel: Beta582

tonygillott #19 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28238 battles

View Postdonny007-THX, on 17 May 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Today was on Mountain Pass in Lycan that has coated optics and crew with Sixth Sense, amongst other skills.  Was very slowly working my way up a hill that is in the Red cap looking for last arty, specifically a M53/M55.

The situation is as I am turning the corner there is no indication arty is there.  No Sixth alert, no spotted or targeted alert.  Arty springs out and shotguns my face off.  Distance was about 20 meters.  He knew I was there, exactly where I was.....I was completely blind to his presence.

Is there anything as a player I can do to avoid this happening?  Seems like a poor game design to allow one type of tank to have apparent 100% positional knowledge but not have a “Vision Scout” possess similar capability.

I take it Sixth Sense does not sense Arty at all, even from 20 meters.

Thoughts, tips and suggestions are welcome.

putting game flaws to one side, it’s possible that someone on your team was telling arty where you were? Maybe?

ABAOUIA #20 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35179 battles

View PostBeta582, on 17 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

For this bit we need to fudge a bit and just say "It's a video game". Just like in reality, the Commander, Gunner, Driver, and assistant driver (where applicable) all usually have their own periscopes for vision purposes.

Targeted! should work regardless of the current health of the Commander. Are you thinking of Sixth Sense perhaps? That does not function if the Commander is knocked out.

Agreed in the first place, the red tank must have a "Stalin" type of sharpshooter in it to only kill a commander and leave the rest unharmed... it's a game ;)

on the other hand a famous Dutch football coach once said the famous words "Soccer is war"

wich basicly means, it aint no game, it's serious stuff ;)

But to go back to the topic and the 2nd part of your response ; im not sure again but i think i had games where he was dead and i did not got the targeted signal and suddenly got shot, but that was probably cause Six sense Didn't go of so targeted would not go off eighter ?

AGAIN, very confusing stuff lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users