Gameplay in my Captured KV-1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

LadyTanker #1 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 5770 battles

I decided to broadcast a game today. I did better than I have all morning. I have a cold. I apologize for how my voice sounds.

xxBattleroyAL #2 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14423 battles
Keep up the good work.  Hopefully you are enjoying broadcasting

Jope2209 #3 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21098 battles
Nice video Lady! If I meet you on the grid I have to be extra careful.

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

3 MoE tanks: T-34, Pz IVH, Tiger I, Pz.Kpfw. T 25

Poll - Choose your least preferred map (removed maps* included, Nomonhan map added to Poll)

fnurke #4 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 14758 battles

If I may give you an advice, though I am definitely not good at this game, don't shoot the tracks from the front (or rear), because you won't do any damage (unless RNGesus loves you and deviates the shell to the right place. Fat chance). From the sides or side-ish it's OK because you may penetrate the hull behind the skirt/tracks (or not with HEAT, but that's another story).

I say that because you seem to deliberately aim for them, probably because the aim is red then, but that means it will penetrate, not that it will take HP, it might just hurt a module (tracks here, but sometimes view ports too can take hits without losing HP). Notice how you didn't do any damage to the T1 when aiming for the tracks, then when you went back to auto-aim to retreat your only shot penetrated because auto-aim aims for the center of the tank.

I'm sort of an expert because I seem to have a knack for doing the same thing when hip shooting (or shotgunning if you don't believe tanks have hips), and I have spent a whole battle hitting the same view port without doing any non-module damage (it was the only thing that wasn't yellow on the tank).

Note, in case you didn't know, that you might actually want to hit the front wheels of a tank when friendlies are around, because it resets the track repair timer, so if you can't hurt it, you can perma-track it so others can shoot it.

Putting a few APCR shells in your inventory might also help you when you need to dispose of a tough enemy fast.

And completely unrelated, when you sell a TT tank, you only get half its value in silver but when you buy it back, you pay the full price. I've done it a number of times in my first few months in the game because I needed to make room for specific tanks for ops, and lost a lot of silver that way before I noticed.

LadyTanker #5 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 5770 battles

View Postbigalternation, on 17 May 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Keep up the good work.  Hopefully you are enjoying broadcasting

Thank you. 

LadyTanker #6 Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 5770 battles

View Postfnurke, on 17 May 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

If I may give you an advice, though I am definitely not good at this game, don't shoot the tracks from the front (or rear), because you won't do any damage (unless RNGesus loves you and deviates the shell to the right place. Fat chance). From the sides or side-ish it's OK because you may penetrate the hull behind the skirt/tracks (or not with HEAT, but that's another story).

I say that because you seem to deliberately aim for them, probably because the aim is red then, but that means it will penetrate, not that it will take HP, it might just hurt a module (tracks here, but sometimes view ports too can take hits without losing HP). Notice how you didn't do any damage to the T1 when aiming for the tracks, then when you went back to auto-aim to retreat your only shot penetrated because auto-aim aims for the center of the tank.

I'm sort of an expert because I seem to have a knack for doing the same thing when hip shooting (or shotgunning if you don't believe tanks have hips), and I have spent a whole battle hitting the same view port without doing any non-module damage (it was the only thing that wasn't yellow on the tank).

Note, in case you didn't know, that you might actually want to hit the front wheels of a tank when friendlies are around, because it resets the track repair timer, so if you can't hurt it, you can perma-track it so others can shoot it.

Putting a few APCR shells in your inventory might also help you when you need to dispose of a tough enemy fast.

And completely unrelated, when you sell a TT tank, you only get half its value in silver but when you buy it back, you pay the full price. I've done it a number of times in my first few months in the game because I needed to make room for specific tanks for ops, and lost a lot of silver that way before I noticed.

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I haven’t thought about the tracks thing as being an issue, but I see what you’re saying. I usually aim for whatever turns red unless I know for sure it’s a place that will bounce off. 

I normally carry vents and apcr on this tank. I messed up during the last op though. I bought some of my KVs back before they were discounted. Then, after several bad games, I sold them. I went back again for another round at full price. I also used a lot of apcr in various tanks.

I’m trying to build my silver reserve back up without buying more gold. I’m also limiting apcr. 

fnurke #7 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 14758 battles

View PostLadyTanker, on 17 May 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I haven’t thought about the tracks thing as being an issue, but I see what you’re saying. I usually aim for whatever turns red unless I know for sure it’s a place that will bounce off. 

I normally carry vents and apcr on this tank. I messed up during the last op though. I bought some of my KVs back before they were discounted. Then, after several bad games, I sold them. I went back again for another round at full price. I also used a lot of apcr in various tanks.

I’m trying to build my silver reserve back up without buying more gold. I’m also limiting apcr. 

The T1 is a bad mother. I don't remember if there are weak points in the frontal armour, but it often has a mean gun that doesn't let you think for long. Usually, when I can't aim properly, I try to hit the lower plate, parts that don't seem to be angled or MG/view ports, it works often.

I know how you feel with silver as I'm perma-broke because I'm too greedy (I have ~100 tanks). I don't know of a way to easily make silver besides premium since the Island Race has been "fixed", but there's a way to get a one time boost if you play War Stories for the first time : you get ~400k silver, ~28k free XP, a few ops, consumables and customisation vouchers when you play the first two stories for the first time. Beware though, a 24h offer for the Defiant Matilda with a heavy discount (1300g with a few things) will pop up at the end of the second story, so if you want it, be ready to buy it or don't play the last mission.

Oh and there's the Story Teller chained op in War Stories that gives you a few things, including premium days (not sure about this one), garage slots, bonus ops and probably other things but requires serious grinding. There's a few posts about it or I can give you a partial list if you want.

I have set an arbitrary limit for prammo on my tanks at 20k silver per premium tank (sometimes less for low tier tanks with few shells in store), and 0 for TT as it gets "stored" when you sell the tank, i.e. what you paid for it is lost unless you buy the tank back. That way I seldom lose money in a battle. But I'm a penny pincher. And I put only "free" equipment on my TT tanks (camo net, binocs and repair something) as you get all your money back when you sell the tank.

Also beware the ontrack events (one is coming for the American TT), because it is the discounted price that is used when you sell a tank, so a tank you've bought 100, you would usually sell for 50 (plus modules and equipment), but with a 50% on-track TT discount, you will sell it only 25=(100-50%)/2 (plus modules and equipment at the usual price). So it's better to buy during the on-track and to sell after. This I suspected for a while but only found out for sure during the Russian on-track.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users