T5 O-I Exp Packages

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Lavindathar #1 Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2153 battles

I’m struggling to determine which gun to use. 

Im new to the tank, but from facing off against loads they all seem to use the derp which is stock. The numbers on the top packages look better to me, as the pen and faster reload seem nice. Also super slow shell velocity on the derp can be a pain on some maps.

so from stock, what route of upgrades should I go, and what should I use to grind to the tier 6?

Jope2209 #2 Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34612 battles
The one with highest alpha dmg ...No brainer really..

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

3 MoE tanks: T-34, Pz IVH, Tiger I, Pz.Kpfw. T 25, M7, T-50

New updated poll - please take a minute and cast your votes for the least preferred map in rotation (2019)

Lavindathar #3 Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2153 battles

View PostJope2209, on 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

The one with highest alpha dmg ...No brainer really..

And you arrive at that conclusion how? Why is higher alpha damage better than higher dpm, or increased pen?

not everyone is an expert, some of us are new.

Albapfalzd3 #4 Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles

Yes the top package is the way to go. It does massive damage and reloads fairly quickly (especially if you have Rammer, Vents and BiA). The worse thing with the O-I Exp is the lack of armor. But if it had any this thing would be way OP. 

Roy

Jope2209 #5 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34612 battles

View PostLavindathar, on 22 May 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

And you arrive at that conclusion how? Why is higher alpha damage better than higher dpm, or increased pen?

not everyone is an expert, some of us are new.

LOL, I tried to help here. That tank at tier V is OP with top gun upgrade. I played mine with top gun, it's insanely fast tank for its size. Armor is pretty bad, but you can outrun any of the heavies in tier. Use that tank like Vivienne when top tier, and ram everyone except another O-I or KV-220-2, but even those wouldn't be happy when you hit them full speed with Controlled impact and Heavy Spall Liner.

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

New updated poll - please take a minute and cast your votes for the least preferred map in rotation (2019)

Jope2209 #6 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34612 battles

Here, try to compare it here:

http://www.worldofta...nkProfiler.aspx

You can compare same tank with different packages. Select 2 O-I's but with different packages so you compare the stats. 7.5 cm has higher DPM, which is good, but tank has weak armor and you have to expose it 3 times and pen to deal similar dmg like one exposure and pen with 10 cm gun.

Imho it's greatest feature is speed and weight, so like I said earlier, it's best used for shoot&ram combo when top tier. Bottom tier you shold play more carefully, but still 300 dmg per shot is way better in tier VII environment than 125.

Lavindathar #7 Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2153 battles

View PostJope2209, on 22 May 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

LOL, I tried to help here. That tank at tier V is OP with top gun upgrade. I played mine with top gun, it's insanely fast tank for its size. Armor is pretty bad, but you can outrun any of the heavies in tier. Use that tank like Vivienne when top tier, and ram everyone except another O-I or KV-220-2, but even those wouldn't be happy when you hit them full speed with Controlled impact and Heavy Spall Liner.

That’s why I’m confused, as the top gun didn’t have the highest alpha damage. It has the highest dpm, not highest alpha like you said.

anyway, thankyou for the help, and for that compare site. I’ll check it tomororw as there are two top packages, so not sure which one you refer too.

Jope2209 #8 Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34612 battles

View PostLavindathar, on 22 May 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

That’s why I’m confused, as the top gun didn’t have the highest alpha damage. It has the highest dpm, not highest alpha like you said.

anyway, thankyou for the help, and for that compare site. I’ll check it tomororw as there are two top packages, so not sure which one you refer too.

If you look at your TT and upgrade packages, you can notice that not only tanks have different tiers, but also upgrade modules have tiers as well. When someone is saying top gun it's usualy top tier gun available for tank in question. In O-I exp case there are 4 guns available iirc, Stock gun (derp) is tier V, there are 2 variants of 7.5 cm guns and both are tier V (checked this later and one gun is tier IV and one is tier V), and there is 10 cm gun (tier VI). So, in case of O-I exp tier VI gun is considered to be top gun, since that upgrade takes most xp to unlock. 10 cm gun has lower damage per minute than 7.5 cm gun, I think the difference in DPM is +200 in favor of smaller caliber gun. Also 7.5 cm has slightly better premium ammo penetration than 10 cm.

In the end it comes down to personal preference, but in general you will meet most of the O-I exp's in game having 10 cm gun as a weapon of choice. Think of it this way, you need 3 penetrating hits and you are already around 1k damage, and while doing it you had to expose your armor 3 times, hence giving your opponents less chances to hit you. With 7.5 cm you have to hit 8 times to do that same damage, and by the same logic applied you have to expose your tank 8 times to do so.

Note how for example radio upgrades in top packages are tier VIII to X, so you can have a lower tier tank (t3 or t4) but equipped with radio tier IX which gives you the greatest radio range. Top Radio is almost always paired with top gun in package.

Edited by Jope2209, 23 May 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Tricky Rik 36 #9 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23377 battles

View PostLavindathar, on 22 May 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

I’m struggling to determine which gun to use. 

Im new to the tank, but from facing off against loads they all seem to use the derp which is stock. The numbers on the top packages look better to me, as the pen and faster reload seem nice. Also super slow shell velocity on the derp can be a pain on some maps.

so from stock, what route of upgrades should I go, and what should I use to grind to the tier 6?

I recommend using the 10cm gun for the grind.  It has a great alpha and a decent rate of fire. When top tier, this tank can devastate opponents.  When bottom tier, it can support the top tier heavies well if you're careful.  As has already been mentioned, it doesn't have much armour but has great manoeuvrability.  You can relocate quite well.  You are an arty magnet but your speed gives you a sporting chance.   

The 7.5cm gun is decent but again, you have to expose the tank much more.  It's one of the 2 tech tree Japanese tanks I have kept.

Lavindathar #10 Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 2153 battles
Thankyou guys, that’s most helfpul!

LacqueredBacon #11 Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35370 battles

The 10cm, not the derp.  Start using the derp at tier VI.

At tier V, the 300 damage alpha with the 10cm is basically a derp against tier II-V tanks.  Most tier VI's you can two shot.  Only tier VII heavies are bit more of a problem but there is an "A" button for those tanks.

DertyChewbacca #12 Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8883 battles
Definitely use the 10cm. The people who say this tank is OP are high. This tank is very easily penetrable. Good tank though IMO.

Albapfalzd3 #13 Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles

View Postwattszyrva, on 17 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Definitely use the 10cm. The people who say this tank is OP are high. This tank is very easily penetrable. Good tank though IMO.

Yeah, it is a Paper Canon. It can be easily penned from just about any angle but it is fast for a heavy and carries a BIG stick. When I play it I try to be very careful and not expose my weak armor for any longer than it takes to aim and fire. It is also an Arty magnet. The thing is so large it is very hard to miss. 

Roy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users