Got There Now Am Hesitant

Type 4 Heavy

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

redshadowrider #1 Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39062 battles
I have searched for posts on the Type 4 heavy and come up with very few.  I have finally ground through the HO-HO and am at the point I can buy the Type 4, or not.  Based on previous experiences, I am reluctant to spend the silver for another moving apartment building that becomes a ready target for everything else on the battlefield.  I would appreciate any feedback that any owners of this tank have.  I have been burned so many times by Tier 9 and 10's, I guess I am a little skittish about plunking down more silver on another disappointment.  Is this tank worth it?
I'm just saying.....

DANCING FLAMES #2 Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 44014 battles

I don't own one but I will say that the Type 4 is tough. A tank I hate running across it and is feared by many players. my 2 cents sorry couldn't help more. I think if I were in your shoes I would get it, just saying. Good luck hopefully someone with better knowledge about it can chime in.

BrogueOne #3 Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 24375 battles
  • [ELDER]
Unlocked it, played less than 100 games, and sold it.  It’s a feast-or-famine kind of vehicle....... Sometimes nobody can pen you and you are a god..... sometimes everyone owns your fat Japanese bootay.  It’s painfully slow and endlessly frustrating to deal with faster tanks.  It just doesn’t respond fast enough for me.....even the Mauschen is more fun(and I hate that one too!).

Chimonakimi #4 Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35258 battles
  • [AFMTH]
The Type 4 is crap, armour doesn't matter because everyone just shoots skill rounds at you and negates your armour, the maps you get at tier 9 are ridiculous sizes for such a slow tank, and the gun is really painful. I couldn't bring myself to grind for the second last gun or even the Type 5.

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #5 Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 55406 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

Unlocked it, played less than 100 games, and sold it. It’s a feast-or-famine kind of vehicle....... Sometimes nobody can pen you and you are a god..... sometimes everyone owns your fat Japanese bootay. It’s painfully slow and endlessly frustrating to deal with faster tanks. It just doesn’t respond fast enough for me.....even the Mauschen is more fun(and I hate that one too!).

this sums up the type 4 and type 5...I only stomached them for the sake of the eventual senior tech engineer

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

Pit Friend #6 Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 36134 battles
  • [PTATO]
I got to the Type 4 and haven’t played it very much because I don’t find it very fun. It’s slow, huge, and the armor doesn’t hold up as well as you’d think. The stock gun isn’t all that great as per usual but I can’t bring myself to spend the free XPs to get past it, which I normally do with tier IX tanks.

I don’t know how to act my age! I’ve never been this old before!

Teffisk #7 Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25224 battles
  • [-L7-]
I think it's crap. I would never play such a vehicle, so I can't give you first hand experiences, but here's my problems with this type of tank. It is obviously very slow, derpy, and has low dpm. The only strength of this tank is it's armor. This means your success in a game depends more in the quality of your opponent, not your own skill. This means when you meet abad player who allows themselves to get bullied by your giant tank, you might have fun. But if you meet a complement player who can run circles around you and negate your armor with heat rounds, you will get very frustrated. This tank does not have the capability to deal with those players, no matter how good you are.

TLDR; these tanks are bad and frustrating to play.

Restless_Vermin #8 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41246 battles
I unlocked the O-HO and stopped, just couldn’t take it anymore. Not head great things about the Type 4 but they do seem to die easily considering the amount of armour they have

ThunderChickenX #9 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17465 battles
  • [TRB]

View PostBrogueOne, on 25 May 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

Unlocked it, played less than 100 games, and sold it. It’s a feast-or-famine kind of vehicle....... Sometimes nobody can pen you and you are a god..... sometimes everyone owns your fat Japanese bootay. It’s painfully slow and endlessly frustrating to deal with faster tanks. It just doesn’t respond fast enough for me.....even the Mauschen is more fun(and I hate that one too!).

^^ Yep. As soon as any decent tier vehicle hits the gold button your big flat slabs of armour are useless.

"Trying is the first step toward failure." - Homer Simpson

I don't upload much, if ever: www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-MJIN-3uT6m-B3LhHj6

For Those Who Care Spoiler

ALF EXTREME #10 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 51833 battles
premium spam makes it worthless

I AM KING

and i declare death to all artillery, who will follow me on this righteous quest for freedom

Beta582 #11 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19609 battles
  • [TANK]

Don't own one myself but have played it multiple times on my roommates account.

There are two play styles for this vehicle.

1: You can try to be a wall of armor for allies to use as a pushing point. I don't advise this one as the armor, despite being very thick, is flat. This means that if someone were to load premium rounds, they likely would be able to butter your armor. For this play style, the 14cm gun works best as you will constantly be in the fight and want to keep that gun firing.

2: Peek cover down a corridor and use sidescraping tactics. This is the method that I found works best for this vehicle with the 15cm. Peek a corner and blast someone with a HE round before retreating back behind cover for the long reload. Tends to dissuade people from advancing down that corridor if they know they will be slapped for it.

Overall, I would not advise going for this vehicle. It is slow, has flat armor, is absolutely massive, and a prime target for artillery.

Beta582's Guide to Everything (Updated 12-07-2017)       Beta582's Tank Suggestion Compilation

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a dinner party, "Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!" Winston replied, "Madam if I were your husband I would drink it!"

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/beta582                         Youtube Channel: Beta582

ArKenemyxX #12 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24380 battles
  • [PRIME]
Prepare to repair ammo rack every game. Now if they had the O-HO's reload then I'd buy them back but they are outclassed from premium spam.

caglassc #13 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49637 battles
  • [-TCB-]
Love hate relationship with it. Finally unlocked the type 5 but don’t plan to buy it. I felt like I suffered thru just to unlock the type 5 but others may love the tank. Personally I found it a bit be boring to play. Slow and long reloads only to fire and try to derp someone. It is obviously a very situational tank, map dependent in a lot of ways. I just didn’t enjoy playing it. 

De opresso liber

Destraag #14 Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 43967 battles

I like the Japanese heavies but I seem to like tanks other formers do not.

I played through the type 4 before the 15cm was available .. though I generally prefer the derp guns on these tanks I might stick with the 14 on this one ... not sure. 

I think there are a lot of good points made in this thread but if you decide to go forward anyway, use the super heavyspall liner as you will need it. This will allow you to carry one small and one large repair kit instead of a med kit and rely on the spall liner and if you can get it pain resistance skill to keep your crew up. I also ran rammer and vents. 

when advancing on enemies sway your vehicle irregularly from left to right to try and limit targeting on weak spots and keep the angles changing.  

The crew skills repairs, track mechanic, safe stowage, off-road king and clutch breaking will help limit some of the weaknesses of this tank.

The type 4 can reverse side scrape if you find a suitable spot and situation. The type 5 can use normal side scraping techniques.

If you can recline your armor by moving up a slope while hiding your lower plate expect many bounces. I feel like this is the most underrated defensive technique... probably because many tanks have a hard time hiding the lower glacis in this position but I have found a lot of success with these heavies using this technique. Being in an elevated position also helps. 

When a person resorts to attacking the other person rather than focusing on the issue (aka argumentum ad hominem), it becomes pretty clear they have nothing else to contribute and are wrong.

redshadowrider #15 Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39062 battles
Thanks everyone, all the comments are pretty much what I was expecting and why I haven't spent the silver on it.  Sort of like the VK 100.01 (P) that I have.  Big, slow, easily seen and death circled...  And since prammo is not a rare commodity these days, a big target without being red and white.  Over the years, I have seemed to settle into the Mediums at different tiers, they seem to be the most playable tanks for many scenarios.  I may end up getting this monstrosity, but for now, the HO-HO is where I stop.
I'm just saying.....

Ronin Gaidin #16 Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 37560 battles
The Type 4 Heavy does very well.....  in War Stories - Live Fire Exercise. :trollface:

John Arrowsmith #17 Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 83279 battles
What a heap of crap.    

scwirpeo #18 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 43511 battles
  • [CRY]

I have hundreds of games in it. Here's my take.

It can be fun to play sometimes, but it will never be a good tank. It has no perfect situation. The guns are not good the armor is hardly passable and it's slow. It has a worse camo rating than a waffle 100 with a 50%crew.

It's nice and easy to play but even if you manage to stop a few morons every few games it's never going to have any situation where it is truly unmatched.

Get it for the easy mode brain off gameplay but don't expect it to preform even when it really should. The HO is a much more reliable tank.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

redshadowrider #19 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39062 battles
Not much here to change my decision to hold off.  I don't need another crappy high tier tank, I have plenty of them already.
I'm just saying.....

Cheetah1728 #20 Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 35255 battles
It's great target practice and lets many tanks feel what it's like to be a T-100 LT. It also looks neat. That's about the only real positives I have to say for it.

I only did it to unlock the equally depressing tier 10, but that was well before the buffs. The tier 10 is better in that it's improved in numerous ways over the tier 9(buffs really helped too, to a point), but this means you have to play the type 4 for a still barely worthwhile tank.

I'd say hold off until you really want to wrap it up, as it's currently barely worth the garage slot it takes up. Works sometimes, but it's honestly not worth the hassle. As someone who tends to like the garbage/inferior tanks for whatever quirk they have, this was one of those ones I couldn't even love. Though it is nice nailing a tier 7/8 with the 600 alpha 14cm. 15cm requires too much heat to do similiar, while having much worse handling/accuracy/reload.

Also tagged with Type 4 Heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users