We Aren't The Target Audience Anymore

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

Turboclicker #1 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21318 battles

POPULAR

I've kinda known this for a long time now but this recent announcement really seals the deal for me. I think most of the players here who were around back in the early days around late 2013/early 2014 would agree that the original audience was majority one who enjoyed the historical aspect of the game and loved to drive around all the machines they grew up reading about or maybe even played to discover new ones. We loved getting new tanks and felt the game getting better and better as more nations and lines were being developed. Back then there were no reskins. It was just straight up tanks. 

The first intruder to this was the Freedom. It was really goofy and crazy but hey, it was patriotic and kinda fun to mess around with. It also made sense as it was like a parade tank or something similar looking. Then came the Liberte and eventually the Knight. They were in the same vein and were generally regarded as a positive addition. 

Eventually WG started churning out weirder and more out of place tanks. One of the earlier ones was the Hammer. It was a Tiger that looked more like a football jersey than a tank and was negativity received by the forum. However this did not stop WG. I guess they found a lot of new sales from this tank and continued on. Now we have over 80-100 tanks in the game that are simply reskins of already existing tanks that completely go against the feel of the original game. You can just look at the release schedule of premiums. They release the reskin of a vehicle not even in this game yet then wait half a year to sometimes a full year to release the regular vehicle. They don't care about the authentic feel anymore.

To cut this off before I go on too long, the recent Frankenstein tanks are just the continuation of this trend. Their target audience is no longer the vets that built this game up. The people who played the game for its authenticity and for the chance to drive these machines as if they actually existed are not here much anymore. A ton have quit, dare I say most. 

We are not the target. People who want regular tanks are never going to get that feeling again.

Knot3D #2 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22278 battles
And the sad thing is..... this bandaid stuff is not going to help new player retention one bit - until they fix the core issues of this game.

Sbornaja #3 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 29983 battles
  • [KRAUT]
+1 @OP

That's why I am switching to the competitor, once it will be released!

XBOX ONE

Mr Crowley ll #4 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20911 battles
  • [CRPT]
I knew we were in trouble when WOT experimented with the Borderlands cartoon mode.

And just to poke the bear those anime tanks :hiding:

LazyCalf5928745 #5 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 51220 battles
I would honestly rather play the original version.

Been thinking when was the best era for wot.

Hate to say it as i havent playd any other game since wot started but this may change that.

At least my wife will be happy.

Xenith_Inc #6 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5153 battles

View PostTurboclicker, on 07 June 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

I've kinda known this for a long time now but this recent announcement really seals the deal for me. I think most of the players here who were around back in the early days around late 2013/early 2014 would agree that the original audience was majority one who enjoyed the historical aspect of the game and loved to drive around all the machines they grew up reading about or maybe even played to discover new ones. We loved getting new tanks and felt the game getting better and better as more nations and lines were being developed. Back then there were no reskins. It was just straight up tanks. 

The first intruder to this was the Freedom. It was really goofy and crazy but hey, it was patriotic and kinda fun to mess around with. It also made sense as it was like a parade tank or something similar looking. Then came the Liberte and eventually the Knight. They were in the same vein and were generally regarded as a positive addition. 

Eventually WG started churning out weirder and more out of place tanks. One of the earlier ones was the Hammer. It was a Tiger that looked more like a football jersey than a tank and was negativity received by the forum. However this did not stop WG. I guess they found a lot of new sales from this tank and continued on. Now we have over 80-100 tanks in the game that are simply reskins of already existing tanks that completely go against the feel of the original game. You can just look at the release schedule of premiums. They release the reskin of a vehicle not even in this game yet then wait half a year to sometimes a full year to release the regular vehicle. They don't care about the authentic feel anymore.

To cut this off before I go on too long, the recent Frankenstein tanks are just the continuation of this trend. Their target audience is no longer the vets that built this game up. The people who played the game for its authenticity and for the chance to drive these machines as if they actually existed are not here much anymore. A ton have quit, dare I say most. 

We are not the target. People who want regular tanks are never going to get that feeling again.

What do you mean, "We"?

How many people on this forum own the Hammer? Liberte? Freedom? Knight? u252?

People here are the target market.  

I looked at your tank list expecting hypocrisy, but no flag tanks, so kudos to you on that, however that just means that you are not the target market, which is people who spend money on the game. 

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

Rarefication #7 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17628 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostKnot3D, on 07 June 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

And the sad thing is..... this bandaid stuff is not going to help new player retention one bit - until they fix the core issues of this game.

Agreed. 

westmech #8 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8458 battles
  • [ELDER]

Why the hell won't they introduce historic battles? Its beyond me that they won't do what War Thunder did by have specific battles where its one nation against the other nation?!

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #9 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39286 battles
  • [BNKR]

I hope the new monstrosity tanks aren't going to be part of the requirement to get senior tech engineer...it's the last driving goal for me really. I still have fun sessions, but I have more and more boring sessions. I may be different than most, but I don't want or like new content for the most part. I think new content should always be new maps. There should be a steady flow of new maps. This merc crap is just Mad Max stuff. 

I agree with you, but obviously someone important has drawn the conclusion that those of us you describe will not generate profit moving forward. This decision was made some time ago as you indicate. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

XEboi #10 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18254 battles
  • [UKXV]
Well seid Mr turbo

ATHFjman18 #11 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14357 battles

I’m not really torn up about this. When I first started playing my goal was to play the Tiger and M4, those two iconic tanks of WWII. Then after that happened, it was less about playing specific (or historical) tanks and more about having fun.

I think recently the fun factor has been getting stale due in part with certain grinds of tanks I don’t find to be as fun, mostly tier VIII & IX tanks I dislike that take forever to grind to the next tank. I’m cautiously optimistic about the Mercenary line, as the Contracts seem like a fun thing to grind towards and even some of these Merc tanks seem to be based on actual historical prototypes (IE Pershing turret on the Sherman hull). 

At least this is something fresh for me to get out of the rut of TT grinds I force myself to play....we’ll see I suppose...

VKSheridan #12 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19823 battles

The new tanks don’t bother me.  To me, if a player likes a comic book tank and buys it, it doesn’t matter to me.  He’s happy, the bills get paid and we get another tank to shoot at.  If there’s a tank I don’t care for (and there’s many), I just don’t grind for it or buy it.  What others grind through or buy is their business, not mine.  There’s no sense making noise because WG doesn’t cater solely to my personal preferences.....

PanchoVia70 #13 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 30510 battles
  • [W0LFS]

View Postwestmech, on 07 June 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

Why the hell won't they introduce historic battles? Its beyond me that they won't do what War Thunder did by have specific battles where its one nation against the other nation?!

What does this have to do with OPs post?

R35T NO MORE #14 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13989 battles
  • [BNKR-]
Completely agree Turbo. It's a shame as this game had loads of potential but now it's kind of ridiculous and aimed at people who will just play it for a month or two, buy a bundle and quit. At least War Thunder is on the way. I haven't heard great things but as far as i'm aware they don't have  IS-29-88s at least.  

Credit to Violet viper for my sig.

dcr66 #15 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 22025 battles
  • [ONE]

Honestly once they have released all possible tech trees and we grind / free-xp most of them, there is little left to do on a regular basis. Just going to play those favorite tanks serve little purposes other than silver gain. Even if they split tech trees it still won't amount to much unless they have new ones starting from tier 1 to 10.

Not sure how these contracts work, just hoping they are going to work like the typical earn ops we have seen in WoT Console. Earn 200,000 xp, earn 2,000,000 silver, win 50 games, etc to unlock the low tier tank....

Senior .NET Developer / Team Lead by day. Computer/Console gamer with 30+ yrs of experience by night. WW2 guru for 35+ years. 

[ONE]dcr66 in World of Warships. Same clan name and user name as I have in Xbox.

e1iss #16 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17917 battles
  • [ARTY]

View PostVKSheridan, on 07 June 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

The new tanks don’t bother me.  To me, if a player likes a comic book tank and buys it, it doesn’t matter to me.  He’s happy, the bills get paid and we get another tank to shoot at.  If there’s a tank I don’t care for (and there’s many), I just don’t grind for it or buy it.  What others grind through or buy is their business, not mine.  There’s no sense making noise because WG doesn’t cater solely to my personal preferences.....

Agree. All the historical tanks are still there. As long as said new tanks can be nuked by the Sky Angel's Rainbow, drive whatever you want.:arta:

++++++

The Sky Angel's touch hurts but for only an instant

CatSnipah #17 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20994 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 07 June 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Completely agree Turbo. It's a shame as this game had loads of potential but now it's kind of ridiculous and aimed at people who will just play it for a month or two, buy a bundle and quit. At least War Thunder is on the way. I haven't heard great things but as far as i'm aware they don't have  IS-29-88s at least.  

MOM! MOM! Get the credit card! I need more gold! 

AND meatloaf!

pr0fit0fcanabis #18 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 38209 battles

View PostXenith_Inc, on 07 June 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

What do you mean, "We"?

How many people on this forum own the Hammer? Liberte? Freedom? Knight? u252?

People here are the target market.  

I looked at your tank list expecting hypocrisy, but no flag tanks, so kudos to you on that, however that just means that you are not the target market, which is people who spend money on the game. 

"We" as used by the OP is the group who likes historical tanks over more imaginative designs.  If you are not part of this "we" that is fine but recognize that "we" is a bit larger of a group than just the OP.  

Unkempt #19 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 17876 battles
  • [SRT]

"Market differentiation".

Otherwise, it's just another game with tanks. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

RaiBOT01 #20 Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

(Cat) Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 2367 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostTurboclicker, on 07 June 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

Thank you for your honest feedback. 

We are having to constantly come up with new content (both free and purchasable) as this is a free to play game.  In no way are players asked to make any purchases. 

Regarding the amount of premium tanks, its pretty simple: premium tanks sell well and frankly in short, we need to keep the game, and the office lights running.  We truly appreciate the support and contribution of players who decide to make a purchase.  

Players do not need to buy content in game to play.  The game is free to play and if you cannot make a purchase in any way, that's ok.  Even if players do not support the game monetarily, they are contributing to the game in a very big way by playing and keeping the servers populated.  

It is not easy for a free to play game to stay in the market for 2 years, let alone 4.  We have the community to thank for all of their support in every aspect of the word.  

As for the Mercenary tanks, this is something players have been asking for a while and believe it or not, we collaborated with a lot of them.  We don’t want to call anyone out by name unless they want to be known but we worked with a couple of players very closely on the initial designs of what made up each Merc tanks and then a larger group of ST for feedback on looks and balance.  It was a truly collaborative effort and we thank each one of them for their contribution. 

:)  This game is for the community and we hope you all get to play Mercenaries and judge it by experience!

Don't forget we have a Mercenary weekly assault stream today on FB at 3:00PM Central time.

ROLL OUT!

Edited by RaiBOT01, 07 June 2018 - 01:36 PM.

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...by_thetaupe.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...hetaupe.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...upe.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a> 

Player's passion for our games is the fuel that keeps my tank engine running every day.

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right" - Isaac Asimov

Follow me on Twitter: @RAIBot01 - Crew Skills and Perks

Click to send in a XBOX  -  PS4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users