Jump to content


Support your Scout!

Scout scouting Light Spotting Teamwork

  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Godeater 333 #1 Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 10332 battles
  • 2,590
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

First, I apologize in advance for the length of my post (the TL;DR crowd should probably just bail now). Second, sweet Haysus I'm loving this game.

 

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of advice on how to run a Light Tank for Scouting. I've taken huge advantage of it (and thank you to all), and I think I make a pretty good Scout (Scout, Patrol Duty, Confederate Medals are my goals).

 

My methods are probably the same as everyone else's - Tearing out to midfield, then dashing from cover to cover probing for the OpFor, then, once they're located, keeping them in sight while madly avoiding the huge incoming fire that you're now taking and praying to all the gods ever that your team will put them down before you're scrapped. 

 

It's that second part I want some help with today. I'm really, really good at getting the OpFor in sight without being seen, and hilariously good at drawing fire as I make passes in front of their lines (Luchs is just a trollmobile for this - don't have a Chaffee yet, but it looks like it might do it just as well). I get a little frustrated when my team fails to capitalize on what I'm doing. 

 

I should note that I'm not an idiot lemming and if I get killed in the opening minutes then it's only because I made a huge, stupid mistake. In fact, this whole post is aimed at real scouts and those who would see them used properly - not the maniacs who die deep in OpFor territory in the first 60 seconds. 

 

So, here's my "Support Your Scout!" wishlist:

 

Please don't follow us. At least, not closely. Yes, Alecto & most American tanks, we see you are very fast. Good for you. But the whole reason we Scouts are out here is so that we see them before they see you. Not us, you. It's ok if they see us. They're supposed to see us and we're equipped to deal with it. What they aren't supposed to see is you, and if you're right up my butt they're going to see us both at the same time. Then we're not Scouts, we're just the guy with the crappiest tank in a tank-fight - unless we fall back and become useless or push too far ahead and get into the kind of trouble we cant get out of. So let us forge ahead find a place to hide and spot while you get settled in for shooting.

 

Let us call the shots. Odds are that what are a jumble of Red symbols to you are, to us, a Light leading two Mediums followed by a Heavy and a TD. We can probably see who's toughest and who's side on to your position, or even who is going to come out of cover first. If the team leaves the shot calling to the Scouts, focus-fire will actually work (the current model of everyone calling for help on every OpFor they see means that people just ignore the shot calling - I'm taking it back!).

 

Watch us. We are your eyes. We are going to come upon the OpFor first. We cannot fight them when we find them and will have to run. You may not get a great deal of time to hit them when we find them, and we will not have a great deal of time to live if you fail. By watching us, your sights will be that much closer to the targets when they pop up (this goes double for Arty - Arty should just pick a Light at the start and track them to a target - accuracy will already be decent when the Scout calls the targets).

 

Don't abandon us. As I stated above, we are the first into harm's way. We will generally be outgunned, outclassed and out-just-about-everything-ed by whatever we find. We will also be, generally, the only enemy the OpFor can see, so we will be getting all the love (Spartan medal in a Light? Check.). We will be running, and hiding, and probably a bit more running. And we will have seconds until the OpFor finally tags us. We are literally waiting for you to deal with them for us so we can go find you the next thing to kill. 

 

Recognize that our job is not your job... And we look different when we perform our roles. What Scouts bring to the table isn't firepower, it's intel. When we do our jobs, we might resemble non-combatants - we hide a lot, we run away a lot, we hardly ever shoot anything. I've had a guy abuse me over the mic for "camping and not doing anything" - I was hiding in a bush next to the town in Mines, spotting and marking the procession of OpFor moving thru. I got 11 spots that mission, and no OpFor made it through the town. I fired no shots until it was pretty much over. Why? Well, as it stood I could see most of them, I was waaaay out on my own and getting spotted would mean the end of me and the end of our massive visibility advantage. So I just sat there, being eyes. Boring? Yep. Key to victory? Maybe. Doing my job? Absolutely.

 

...and that we're not crazy. Look, we're fast, ok? Fast enough to dodge bullets. I'm not even kidding here - that thing we do on Malinovka, where we rip up and down in the middle? We're doing that on purpose - not only can we spot the OpFor for you, but most of them will be taking shots at us, giving the rest of our team some valuable free shots. My point is, speed is a huge part of our defense - we won't be staying long once we get spotted, and we might even run back past you as we get away. But don't worry - we'll be back in a few seconds to light the OpFor up for you again, so sit tight and wait for us to swing back around. 

 

We Scouts can do our bit by maintaining stealth as long as possible, stay at full speed when not in stealth, communicate as much as possible and remember Tank-Fighting With Scouts Rule #1, which is "What the hell are you doing in a fight? Get out of there, idiot!" - there is no Rule #2. 

 

The ideal battle for a Scout goes: Scouts move up, Team sets up - Scouts spot OpFor Scouts - Team kills OpFor Scouts - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor push - Team kills OpFor push - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor defense and kill Arty - Team kills OpFor defense - Scouts move into OpFor base and drink all the beer before Team gets there and act like they won the battle.

 

If these were common behaviors, I know it would make my Scout life easier and my Leopard would have fewer holes in it - all the silver from the extra wins would be nice, too.

 

Thanks for reading - I look forward to exposing you to my team soon! :)

 

 


I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

 

 


IntentRook0193 #2 Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3496 battles
  • 1,312
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013
I agree

EqKafsT.jpg

  thanks to xroni7x            

CODhero101 #3 Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 6455 battles
  • 700
  • Member since:
    07-21-2013
I agree

SaviorMoney #4 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 3842 battles
  • 797
  • [PIGS]
  • Member since:
    10-19-2013
Ive been playing for a while and the overwhelming majority of my games have seen some pretty terrible scouts. If they all took it as seriously as you do, we may appreciate them more. The problem isnt you, its them. There are just too many lemmings, racing to be the first one to die. Its so bad that I expect that to happen just about every game. Hopefully, more of those bad scouts will learn how to be good scouts and I can learn to take them seriously

ll RlZZ ll #5 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 7300 battles
  • 91
  • Member since:
    12-13-2013

I love your post, couldn't have said it any better myself.

 



kingrich06 #6 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 62490 battles
  • 4,505
  • Member since:
    11-09-2013
+1 

49 Tier X's, less than a dozen to go... Arrrrrgggg the grind is REAL!!!

 


EFLICK72 #7 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:21 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
  • 1,651
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013
The luchs is a mean machine, sand river is prob my fav , racing out and spot 5 or so tanks and bait them to chase me back over the dune, into my awaiting teammates, then repeat, followed by malinovka encounter, doing laps back and forth around the town, (got scout, patrol duty, and confederate doing this)

SayHiToMyShell #8 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 11542 battles
  • 435
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
Hi mate malinovka your doing wrong as a scout because I can sit in a certain bush light the entire base without being seen and even shoot, as for mines never go to town either hill or take the east bush viewing lake. Lighthouse is your aim on cliffs. But generally a good scout doesn't need to do sucide runs, the only thing that bugs me is when another tank td sits next to me And shoots

DieHardELOFan86 #9 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 8973 battles
  • 4,061
  • Member since:
    08-13-2013

View PostGodeater 333, on 22 February 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

First, I apologize in advance for the length of my post (the TL;DR crowd should probably just bail now). Second, sweet Haysus I'm loving this game.

 

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of advice on how to run a Light Tank for Scouting. I've taken huge advantage of it (and thank you to all), and I think I make a pretty good Scout (Scout, Patrol Duty, Confederate Medals are my goals).

 

My methods are probably the same as everyone else's - Tearing out to midfield, then dashing from cover to cover probing for the OpFor, then, once they're located, keeping them in sight while madly avoiding the huge incoming fire that you're now taking and praying to all the gods ever that your team will put them down before you're scrapped. 

 

It's that second part I want some help with today. I'm really, really good at getting the OpFor in sight without being seen, and hilariously good at drawing fire as I make passes in front of their lines (Luchs is just a trollmobile for this - don't have a Chaffee yet, but it looks like it might do it just as well). I get a little frustrated when my team fails to capitalize on what I'm doing. 

 

I should note that I'm not an idiot lemming and if I get killed in the opening minutes then it's only because I made a huge, stupid mistake. In fact, this whole post is aimed at real scouts and those who would see them used properly - not the maniacs who die deep in OpFor territory in the first 60 seconds. 

 

So, here's my "Support Your Scout!" wishlist:

 

Please don't follow us. At least, not closely. Yes, Alecto & most American tanks, we see you are very fast. Good for you. But the whole reason we Scouts are out here is so that we see them before they see you. Not us, you. It's ok if they see us. They're supposed to see us and we're equipped to deal with it. What they aren't supposed to see is you, and if you're right up my butt they're going to see us both at the same time. Then we're not Scouts, we're just the guy with the crappiest tank in a tank-fight - unless we fall back and become useless or push too far ahead and get into the kind of trouble we cant get out of. So let us forge ahead find a place to hide and spot while you get settled in for shooting.

 

Let us call the shots. Odds are that what are a jumble of Red symbols to you are, to us, a Light leading two Mediums followed by a Heavy and a TD. We can probably see who's toughest and who's side on to your position, or even who is going to come out of cover first. If the team leaves the shot calling to the Scouts, focus-fire will actually work (the current model of everyone calling for help on every OpFor they see means that people just ignore the shot calling - I'm taking it back!).

 

Watch us. We are your eyes. We are going to come upon the OpFor first. We cannot fight them when we find them and will have to run. You may not get a great deal of time to hit them when we find them, and we will not have a great deal of time to live if you fail. By watching us, your sights will be that much closer to the targets when they pop up (this goes double for Arty - Arty should just pick a Light at the start and track them to a target - accuracy will already be decent when the Scout calls the targets).

 

Don't abandon us. As I stated above, we are the first into harm's way. We will generally be outgunned, outclassed and out-just-about-everything-ed by whatever we find. We will also be, generally, the only enemy the OpFor can see, so we will be getting all the love (Spartan medal in a Light? Check.). We will be running, and hiding, and probably a bit more running. And we will have seconds until the OpFor finally tags us. We are literally waiting for you to deal with them for us so we can go find you the next thing to kill.

 

Recognize that our job is not your job... And we look different when we perform our roles. What Scouts bring to the table isn't firepower, it's intel. When we do our jobs, we might resemble non-combatants - we hide a lot, we run away a lot, we hardly ever shoot anything. I've had a guy abuse me over the mic for "camping and not doing anything" - I was hiding in a bush next to the town in Mines, spotting and marking the procession of OpFor moving thru. I got 11 spots that mission, and no OpFor made it through the town. I fired no shots until it was pretty much over. Why? Well, as it stood I could see most of them, I was waaaay out on my own and getting spotted would mean the end of me and the end of our massive visibility advantage. So I just sat there, being eyes. Boring? Yep. Key to victory? Maybe. Doing my job? Absolutely.

 

...and that we're not crazy. Look, we're fast, ok? Fast enough to dodge bullets. I'm not even kidding here - that thing we do on Malinovka, where we rip up and down in the middle? We're doing that on purpose - not only can we spot the OpFor for you, but most of them will be taking shots at us, giving the rest of our team some valuable free shots. My point is, speed is a huge part of our defense - we won't be staying long once we get spotted, and we might even run back past you as we get away. But don't worry - we'll be back in a few seconds to light the OpFor up for you again, so sit tight and wait for us to swing back around.

 

We Scouts can do our bit by maintaining stealth as long as possible, stay at full speed when not in stealth, communicate as much as possible and remember Tank-Fighting With Scouts Rule #1, which is "What the hell are you doing in a fight? Get out of there, idiot!" - there is no Rule #2.

 

The ideal battle for a Scout goes: Scouts move up, Team sets up - Scouts spot OpFor Scouts - Team kills OpFor Scouts - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor push - Team kills OpFor push - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor defense and kill Arty - Team kills OpFor defense - Scouts move into OpFor base and drink all the beer before Team gets there and act like they won the battle.

 

If these were common behaviors, I know it would make my Scout life easier and my Leopard would have fewer holes in it - all the silver from the extra wins would be nice, too.

 

Thanks for reading - I look forward to exposing you to my team soon! :)

 

 

+1

 

But can you do me a favor, I am seeing this more and more on battlefield remind your friends that they aren't medium, heavy tanks or tank destroyers you don't got the guns well I shouldn't say that some light tanks do got the gun to bring damage on enemy medium, heavy tanks or tank destroyers.

 

But it is ludicrous and embarrassing when you are doing our jobs when you shouldn't be doing them in first place, your job is to scout, find enemy tanks, tank destroyers including enemy artillery and only take out enemy artillery or protect our artillery.


Signature by METALHELLIONx84, ELO ROCKS !!! thanks METALHELLIONx84 from DieHardELOFan86


Altira65 #10 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 5607 battles
  • 1,570
  • Member since:
    08-31-2013
+1 to the OP. You are my eyes and I sincerely appreciate the work you do in spotting. Without you, my TD has to go scouting and that's not really a good position for a sniper to be in. Keep lighting 'em up and I'll keep knocking 'em down!  

 

 


RaiBOT01 #11 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

    (Cat) Community Manager

  • Administrator
  • 2927 battles
  • 14,082
  • [WGW]
  • Member since:
    06-28-2013

This is such a great post!  Tank you for taking the time to share it with us!

 

We'll pass it to the development team so they can read it!

 

Super cool!


<a data-cke-saved-href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...by_thetaupe.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...hetaupe.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...upe.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a> 

Player's passion for our games is the fuel that keeps my tank engine running every day.

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right" - Isaac Asimov

Follow me on Twitter: @RAIBot01 - Crew Skills and Perks

Click to send in a XBOX  -  PS4


CrypticSniper75 #12 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 25883 battles
  • 1,032
  • Member since:
    10-06-2013
Nice job + 1 for your efforts.

EFLICK72 #13 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
  • 1,651
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013
70% of the time on either malinovka Stan/enc, I easily get 700-900 xp, in a T5/6 battle thats top 5 easily, so I think I am doing it right

Godeater 333 #14 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 10332 battles
  • 2,590
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSayHiToMyShell, on 23 February 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

Hi mate malinovka your doing wrong as a scout because I can sit in a certain bush light the entire base without being seen and even shoot, as for mines never go to town either hill or take the east bush viewing lake. Lighthouse is your aim on cliffs. But generally a good scout doesn't need to do sucide runs, the only thing that bugs me is when another tank td sits next to me And shoots

 

Well, I don't do it every time on Mali - and never until my team is set to go. I'm much more of a 'sneak up, hide and spot' type - the mad dodging tends to come after getting spotted myself - at which point I'm taking the route back that leaves me the most room for dodging - the riverside is too marshy and the strip along the other coast is too narrow - I'll end up in the water if I'm not careful. But a lunatic run back across the main field gets me out of there every time. 

 

How do you get up on the Lighthouse? I'v tried and tried, and I think I can see how it's done but I can never pull it off before OpFor is in sight - any tips for a fast ascent are most welcome. 


I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

 

 


FatAngrySmurf #15 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6836 battles
  • 184
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014
Nice post and somes up some of my LT scouting hates. 

dI Atticus Ib #16 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 6567 battles
  • 2,662
  • Member since:
    08-24-2013
I find it hard to help my scouts. Maybe that's because there all dead in under a minute 

 

Bad players go where they want. Good players go where they are needed!

 


Godeater 333 #17 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 10332 battles
  • 2,590
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostdI Atticus Ib, on 23 February 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

I find it hard to help my scouts. Maybe that's because there all dead in under a minute 

I didn't want to add yet another "how to be a scout" thread - the ones already here are comprehensive, so I'd have little to add with my mere two weeks playing WoT.

 

But I agree - Scouts are too important, especially in the high-Tier battles where there won't be many of them (and your job is sooooo not combat when you're outclassed by 5 Tiers), to go getting themselves killed. For me, the very short rule is "keep your team in LOS at all times - once you've cleared an area, wait for them to move up and take it before moving off again - that way you've still got someone to kill what you find". 

 

While I'm down this road, tho, another tip is "never be afraid to watch your back" - don't know where all OpFor units are? Big empty space on the map with no Greens there? Of course that's where the OpFor is - get over there and make sure - by this point in the battle you should have room to do some speed running, so cover lots of ground. 

 

But I'm hijacking my own thread - this isn't about how to be a Scout - this is about how the rest of the team can use the Scouts to deliver shells to the OpFor with the greatest amount of tenderness and high-explosiveness. 

 

lol - sudden flash of the Scout Greeting - "Excuse me, OpFor Tank? My friends here have something for you...". 


I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

 

 


FolkAttorney67 #18 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 9520 battles
  • 5,526
  • Member since:
    10-12-2013
Great post man. Keep it up because I would be interested in seeing more posts from you about light tanks.

 

Need M103 Tips and Tricks? Go to "Folk's M103/ T110E5 Thread" in the American  Section.

Credits to Roni for Sig!


EFLICK72 #19 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
  • 1,651
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013
I avoid going up to the Litehouse, with a lil over 300m veiw range the only thing Yo have a chance to spot  are the few stragglers at the town or get blown up before you reach the top( highly more likely), everyone else will most likely be engaged by then (if your team its on the move, like they should be)and already be spotted. what I find more effective (and works on either side) is to race to the big rock in the middle (usually there will be a fast med or 2 following) from there you can spot the tanks coming up the hill and see if the are going around the litehouse or the middle, from there you go around "death valley" side and peek at opfors flag. If there is an opening race in and take out arty, if not light them up for your arty

MJRMIKE #20 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 26789 battles
  • 1,409
  • [PIGS]
  • Member since:
    07-12-2013
I want him in my platoon





Also tagged with Scout, scouting, Light, Spotting, Teamwork

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users