Scout scouting Light Spotting Teamwork

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Godeater 333 #21 Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostFolkAttorney67, on 23 February 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Great post man. Keep it up because I would be interested in seeing more posts from you about light tanks.

Well, thank you - I'm not really a Light guy - just been doing it lately due to the special - but I'm really interested in spreading this kind of info as every bit of info you read about WoT starts off with "Know your tank, know your role" - but once you get past that it's just as important to know everyone else's tank and role as well, so you know how to behave depending on who is around (most especially true for Mediums, who can pull every role within a single battle).

How we support each other is key to winning, I've found - every tank has weaknesses, and in almost every case that weakness is made up for by a strength on another tank. A lone TD is vulnerable to a Light, but a TD with a Light running patrol for him is a tough nut to crack. 

I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

Godeater 333 #22 Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostEFLICK72, on 23 February 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

I avoid going up to the Litehouse, with a lil over 300m veiw range the only thing Yo have a chance to spot are the few stragglers at the town or get blown up before you reach the top( highly more likely), everyone else will most likely be engaged by then (if your team its on the move, like they should be)and already be spotted. what I find more effective (and works on either side) is to race to the big rock in the middle (usually there will be a fast med or 2 following) from there you can spot the tanks coming up the hill and see if the are going around the litehouse or the middle, from there you go around "death valley" side and peek at opfors flag. If there is an opening race in and take out arty, if not light them up for your arty

Yeah, that's pretty much my MO - I've been tempted by the lighthouse but the realities of the battle mean I can't spend any real time trying to get up it - I only try while my team catches up then it's time to again. You're right about the view range, of course - glad I didn't bother - that would have been frustrating! :)

CaptainRS3 #23 Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3601 battles

Thank you for making this post, I played light tanks a lot in the beta(not so much now) but that's going to change now, thank you for the amazing post. 

+1

People who complain will never gain. While people who learn from their mistakes always prosper! Be the one who learns!

EFLICK72 #24 Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
Its usually the 1st guy I shoot when on the south spawn lol

one good run #25 Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 36288 battles
  • [TR8R]
I like it when our scouts light up threats for our point teams while mapping routs for assault options but I like it even more betters when I'm tracked and under fire and its a scout that is holding the threats six O'clock for that blink of an eye that saved me....TY scouts it a pleasure doing business with you...

Jimathy #26 Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7315 battles
Amen to this! I just can't wait until the tier 7 lights are added. That T71 is a little monster

Godeater 333 #27 Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostJimathy, on 23 February 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Amen to this! I just can't wait until the tier 7 lights are added. That T71 is a little monster

T7 Lights? I think I just got a little aroused...

Something else I'll add about Supporting Your Scout! If you see us making strange little movements around a rock, knocking trees down, we're building a blind - a little nest with 360 degree visual cover and maybe even a rock for the real thing. It's a spotter's nest, and we'll thank you to not move into it or knock the trees down while we're setting it up. TD's, you can have the spot when you move up, cuz what's good for us on the front line is good for you when that becomes the rear line - you're welcome. :)

While I'm on it, Scouts, and I don't think I can stress this enough, make terrible cover. As someone above lamented, when someone rolls up, parks next to a Scout and opens fire, it destroys our effectiveness instantly. We are now not only spotted, but stationary and already in the OpFor's sights (cuz they're aiming at you). We die fast and then you're blind. You shouldn't even be up with us in the first place - if we've stopped, it's because we've spotted the OpFor, so wait for them and do them in (Except for AT-series TD's. Come on up, boys - love your work, and don't mind us if we hide behind your indestructible butts in a pinch - we won't stay long so long as you give us somewhere to go). 

Been running the Stuart M5 all day - I think some of you might have been reading this thread, cuz I've had some excellent support - have survived the whole battle on several occasions and even got top damage in one (I know, I know - why was I fighting? Well, it was Mines, my team just wasted everyone I found at that bottleneck on the left, and I had a few lucky hits myself, so I got thru the lines really early. I got both of their Arty and then as I sat there in the Red Base a couple of badly wounded Lights came back to stop me. I guess it all added up. Got the Invader medal, too ). 

Reminds me - for those of you running the M5 in any spec but the one with the Howitzer, stop doing that and pick up that Bad Boy. You won't be sorry. 

Jeez, now I'm not only hijacking my own thread, I'm bumping it, too. Such poor internetiquette - I hang my head.  

:playing:

Edited by Godeater 333, 23 February 2014 - 07:26 AM.

electronaut1976 #28 Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22321 battles
Upgraded my Leopard today.with camo net and binocs. Makes scouting so much more easier. I am beginning to like the scouting part as long as the team doesnt screw it up.

Saerbhreathach #29 Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22104 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 22 February 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

First, I apologize in advance for the length of my post (the TL;DR crowd should probably just bail now). Second, sweet Haysus I'm loving this game.

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of advice on how to run a Light Tank for Scouting. I've taken huge advantage of it (and thank you to all), and I think I make a pretty good Scout (Scout, Patrol Duty, Confederate Medals are my goals).

My methods are probably the same as everyone else's - Tearing out to midfield, then dashing from cover to cover probing for the OpFor, then, once they're located, keeping them in sight while madly avoiding the huge incoming fire that you're now taking and praying to all the gods ever that your team will put them down before you're scrapped. 

It's that second part I want some help with today. I'm really, really good at getting the OpFor in sight without being seen, and hilariously good at drawing fire as I make passes in front of their lines (Luchs is just a trollmobile for this - don't have a Chaffee yet, but it looks like it might do it just as well). I get a little frustrated when my team fails to capitalize on what I'm doing. 

I should note that I'm not an idiot lemming and if I get killed in the opening minutes then it's only because I made a huge, stupid mistake. In fact, this whole post is aimed at real scouts and those who would see them used properly - not the maniacs who die deep in OpFor territory in the first 60 seconds. 

So, here's my "Support Your Scout!" wishlist:

Please don't follow us. At least, not closely. Yes, Alecto & most American tanks, we see you are very fast. Good for you. But the whole reason we Scouts are out here is so that we see them before they see you. Not us, you. It's ok if they see us. They're supposed to see us and we're equipped to deal with it. What they aren't supposed to see is you, and if you're right up my butt they're going to see us both at the same time. Then we're not Scouts, we're just the guy with the crappiest tank in a tank-fight - unless we fall back and become useless or push too far ahead and get into the kind of trouble we cant get out of. So let us forge ahead find a place to hide and spot while you get settled in for shooting.

Let us call the shots. Odds are that what are a jumble of Red symbols to you are, to us, a Light leading two Mediums followed by a Heavy and a TD. We can probably see who's toughest and who's side on to your position, or even who is going to come out of cover first. If the team leaves the shot calling to the Scouts, focus-fire will actually work (the current model of everyone calling for help on every OpFor they see means that people just ignore the shot calling - I'm taking it back!).

Watch us. We are your eyes. We are going to come upon the OpFor first. We cannot fight them when we find them and will have to run. You may not get a great deal of time to hit them when we find them, and we will not have a great deal of time to live if you fail. By watching us, your sights will be that much closer to the targets when they pop up (this goes double for Arty - Arty should just pick a Light at the start and track them to a target - accuracy will already be decent when the Scout calls the targets).

Don't abandon us. As I stated above, we are the first into harm's way. We will generally be outgunned, outclassed and out-just-about-everything-ed by whatever we find. We will also be, generally, the only enemy the OpFor can see, so we will be getting all the love (Spartan medal in a Light? Check.). We will be running, and hiding, and probably a bit more running. And we will have seconds until the OpFor finally tags us. We are literally waiting for you to deal with them for us so we can go find you the next thing to kill. 

Recognize that our job is not your job... And we look different when we perform our roles. What Scouts bring to the table isn't firepower, it's intel. When we do our jobs, we might resemble non-combatants - we hide a lot, we run away a lot, we hardly ever shoot anything. I've had a guy abuse me over the mic for "camping and not doing anything" - I was hiding in a bush next to the town in Mines, spotting and marking the procession of OpFor moving thru. I got 11 spots that mission, and no OpFor made it through the town. I fired no shots until it was pretty much over. Why? Well, as it stood I could see most of them, I was waaaay out on my own and getting spotted would mean the end of me and the end of our massive visibility advantage. So I just sat there, being eyes. Boring? Yep. Key to victory? Maybe. Doing my job? Absolutely.

...and that we're not crazy. Look, we're fast, ok? Fast enough to dodge bullets. I'm not even kidding here - that thing we do on Malinovka, where we rip up and down in the middle? We're doing that on purpose - not only can we spot the OpFor for you, but most of them will be taking shots at us, giving the rest of our team some valuable free shots. My point is, speed is a huge part of our defense - we won't be staying long once we get spotted, and we might even run back past you as we get away. But don't worry - we'll be back in a few seconds to light the OpFor up for you again, so sit tight and wait for us to swing back around. 

We Scouts can do our bit by maintaining stealth as long as possible, stay at full speed when not in stealth, communicate as much as possible and remember Tank-Fighting With Scouts Rule #1, which is "What the hell are you doing in a fight? Get out of there, idiot!" - there is no Rule #2. 

The ideal battle for a Scout goes: Scouts move up, Team sets up - Scouts spot OpFor Scouts - Team kills OpFor Scouts - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor push - Team kills OpFor push - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor defense and kill Arty - Team kills OpFor defense - Scouts move into OpFor base and drink all the beer before Team gets there and act like they won the battle.

If these were common behaviors, I know it would make my Scout life easier and my Leopard would have fewer holes in it - all the silver from the extra wins would be nice, too.

Thanks for reading - I look forward to exposing you to my team soon! :)

If I could  +1 you a million times I would. :smile:

Normally I would add to the point BUT you my friend have covered all the bases, if every team kept the above^^ in mind during a match scouting would be way too easy :teethhappy:

Seriously though, tiz all sound advice and I wish every team actually did watch out for the little guy and keep in mind that scouts are not meant to engage the OPFOR but meant to spot and keep spotting. We cannot hold a flank on our own, we cannot really stop a lemming train like a heavy/medium can, so we need the bigger harder hitting tanks to take our place on the front and allow us to move onto spotting the other flanks OR seeking and destroying hostile scouts/arty.

Sound advice friend, just hope lots of people have a read and actually listen. You said that a scout isn't crazy. I have to disagree a little, a scout indeed does need to be a little crazy, we venture into territory that the normal tank wouldn't even think about going alone, we put ourselves directly in the sights of the OPFOR on a regular basis to distract/instill the chase response etc...etc... So yeah, us scouts do need to be just a little bit crazy :playing::teethhappy:

Spot on thread friend, will see you on the field. :great:

EFLICK72 #30 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
as long as we are talking about supporting the scout, if the luch or leopard give a fast med tank the follow me, please do, we know we are going into the danger zone and may need some back up, it takes almost 20sec for.the dang autocannon to reload, alot of times we run into opfor scouts, sure we can stop and battle it out, but it will take 2 volleys and put us 20 sec behind, not saying keep up, but at least come our direction so we can fall back a bit and bait them in your direction.  Its alot quicker to drop back a few.sec and.have you take them out than circle them three times while we reload

Saerbhreathach #31 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22104 battles

View PostElectronaut1976, on 23 February 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Upgraded my Leopard today.with camo net and binocs. Makes scouting so much more easier. I am beginning to like the scouting part as long as the team doesnt screw it up.

Try it with coated optics, camo net and spall liner. The Leopard is kinda like the Pz. IV/V it makes for a really nice battering ram, against other lights or squishy targets like arty. AND speaking of arty, us scouts are priority target #1 for arty so the spall liner helps ease the hit if and when arty manages to land one or the splash damage if their off just by a hair.

I had a Leopard during the beta and got it's crew to 100%, with the set up I said above^^ I was able to spot targets that where 380m+ out and remain hidden as I watched them scurry out of fear. A good example is the middle of Mountain pass, I could roll up to the hill on either side of the middle flat and spot targets hugging the hill trying to go round the mountain OR even the bridge with proper placement. IF I went up to the ruins that are on top of the hill in the middle I was able to see targets on the entire map, the ice road, the mountain, the bridge even the little hill that arty likes to use on the north spawn. The higher your crews skill the better your light tank preforms. :smile:

Saerbhreathach #32 Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 22104 battles

View PostEFLICK72, on 23 February 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

as long as we are talking about supporting the scout, if the luch or leopard give a fast med tank the follow me, please do, we know we are going into the danger zone and may need some back up, it takes almost 20sec for.the dang autocannon to reload, alot of times we run into opfor scouts, sure we can stop and battle it out, but it will take 2 volleys and put us 20 sec behind, not saying keep up, but at least come our direction so we can fall back a bit and bait them in your direction. Its alot quicker to drop back a few.sec and.have you take them out than circle them three times while we reload

IMO medium tankers should as well be running light tanks. They share the same roll on the filed, when there's no light tanks on my team and I'm in a medium I swing into the " scout role ". And when there is a light tank on my team and I'm in a medium I tend to follow the light all because I know he/she will light up OPFOR and I know that scouts are usually the first thing people will shoot at. Not only do light tanks endanger OPFOR by giving away positions but lights tanks are as well easy pickens because of the lack in armor and HP.

The two tanks kind of walk hand in hand on the field, the scouts rush out to spot, the mediums are next to hit the front line, then the heavies roll up to support.( in a perfect match ). Medium tanks should AT ALL TIMES be aware of what the scout is doing and where they are going, they may need support, they may light up a sneaky tanker trying to flank, they may die which means that the medium is now the scout.

So IMO medium tankers should as well be using light tanks, it gives them a view of both sides, it's great training for both tanks because they both will be using the same cover, same tactics. This is what I did during the beta, I ran my Luchs and Leopard as I went through the VK's and the Panthers AND the E50's. I learned real fast the best spots to hit to spot and undermine OPFOR for both the light tanks and the mediums and I learned where it is not wise to go as well :arta::teethhappy:

Edited by Saerbhreathach, 23 February 2014 - 02:41 PM.

vampyrii #33 Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 9714 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 23 February 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

First, I apologize in advance for the length of my post (the TL;DR crowd should probably just bail now). Second, sweet Haysus I'm loving this game.

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of advice on how to run a Light Tank for Scouting. I've taken huge advantage of it (and thank you to all), and I think I make a pretty good Scout (Scout, Patrol Duty, Confederate Medals are my goals).

My methods are probably the same as everyone else's - Tearing out to midfield, then dashing from cover to cover probing for the OpFor, then, once they're located, keeping them in sight while madly avoiding the huge incoming fire that you're now taking and praying to all the gods ever that your team will put them down before you're scrapped. 

It's that second part I want some help with today. I'm really, really good at getting the OpFor in sight without being seen, and hilariously good at drawing fire as I make passes in front of their lines (Luchs is just a trollmobile for this - don't have a Chaffee yet, but it looks like it might do it just as well). I get a little frustrated when my team fails to capitalize on what I'm doing. 

I should note that I'm not an idiot lemming and if I get killed in the opening minutes then it's only because I made a huge, stupid mistake. In fact, this whole post is aimed at real scouts and those who would see them used properly - not the maniacs who die deep in OpFor territory in the first 60 seconds. 

So, here's my "Support Your Scout!" wishlist:

Please don't follow us. At least, not closely. Yes, Alecto & most American tanks, we see you are very fast. Good for you. But the whole reason we Scouts are out here is so that we see them before they see you. Not us, you. It's ok if they see us. They're supposed to see us and we're equipped to deal with it. What they aren't supposed to see is you, and if you're right up my butt they're going to see us both at the same time. Then we're not Scouts, we're just the guy with the crappiest tank in a tank-fight - unless we fall back and become useless or push too far ahead and get into the kind of trouble we cant get out of. So let us forge ahead find a place to hide and spot while you get settled in for shooting.

Let us call the shots. Odds are that what are a jumble of Red symbols to you are, to us, a Light leading two Mediums followed by a Heavy and a TD. We can probably see who's toughest and who's side on to your position, or even who is going to come out of cover first. If the team leaves the shot calling to the Scouts, focus-fire will actually work (the current model of everyone calling for help on every OpFor they see means that people just ignore the shot calling - I'm taking it back!).

Watch us. We are your eyes. We are going to come upon the OpFor first. We cannot fight them when we find them and will have to run. You may not get a great deal of time to hit them when we find them, and we will not have a great deal of time to live if you fail. By watching us, your sights will be that much closer to the targets when they pop up (this goes double for Arty - Arty should just pick a Light at the start and track them to a target - accuracy will already be decent when the Scout calls the targets).

Don't abandon us. As I stated above, we are the first into harm's way. We will generally be outgunned, outclassed and out-just-about-everything-ed by whatever we find. We will also be, generally, the only enemy the OpFor can see, so we will be getting all the love (Spartan medal in a Light? Check.). We will be running, and hiding, and probably a bit more running. And we will have seconds until the OpFor finally tags us. We are literally waiting for you to deal with them for us so we can go find you the next thing to kill. 

Recognize that our job is not your job... And we look different when we perform our roles. What Scouts bring to the table isn't firepower, it's intel. When we do our jobs, we might resemble non-combatants - we hide a lot, we run away a lot, we hardly ever shoot anything. I've had a guy abuse me over the mic for "camping and not doing anything" - I was hiding in a bush next to the town in Mines, spotting and marking the procession of OpFor moving thru. I got 11 spots that mission, and no OpFor made it through the town. I fired no shots until it was pretty much over. Why? Well, as it stood I could see most of them, I was waaaay out on my own and getting spotted would mean the end of me and the end of our massive visibility advantage. So I just sat there, being eyes. Boring? Yep. Key to victory? Maybe. Doing my job? Absolutely.

...and that we're not crazy. Look, we're fast, ok? Fast enough to dodge bullets. I'm not even kidding here - that thing we do on Malinovka, where we rip up and down in the middle? We're doing that on purpose - not only can we spot the OpFor for you, but most of them will be taking shots at us, giving the rest of our team some valuable free shots. My point is, speed is a huge part of our defense - we won't be staying long once we get spotted, and we might even run back past you as we get away. But don't worry - we'll be back in a few seconds to light the OpFor up for you again, so sit tight and wait for us to swing back around. 

We Scouts can do our bit by maintaining stealth as long as possible, stay at full speed when not in stealth, communicate as much as possible and remember Tank-Fighting With Scouts Rule #1, which is "What the hell are you doing in a fight? Get out of there, idiot!" - there is no Rule #2. 

The ideal battle for a Scout goes: Scouts move up, Team sets up - Scouts spot OpFor Scouts - Team kills OpFor Scouts - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor push - Team kills OpFor push - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor defense and kill Arty - Team kills OpFor defense - Scouts move into OpFor base and drink all the beer before Team gets there and act like they won the battle.

If these were common behaviors, I know it would make my Scout life easier and my Leopard would have fewer holes in it - all the silver from the extra wins would be nice, too.

Thanks for reading - I look forward to exposing you to my team soon! :)

I "upvoted" (sic) you. Nevertheless, fail teams will continue to dominate.

• Lights will suicide being useless
  • Mediums will not even try to flank. (I flanked Malinovka with my PZ V/IV and was called to fall back 10 times).
  • Heavies will try to be snipers.
  • TDs will try to be heavies
  • Artys will try to scout

Good post though. :thumbs_up:

CinnamonRelic2 #34 Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3452 battles

Great post.  

So far I have sucked as a scout.  My tanks never seem fast or manoeuverable enough to avoid getting hit.  I am running two German lights at the moment - the P-38 na and the Pz III A.  When I have managed to spot the OpFor, I am normally killed as I run for cover, with no assistance from my team.

I woukd greatly appreciate some hints and tips on how to become a better scout.

I will however be much more mindful when using my mediums, to support the lights.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

G K Chesterton.

OldGreyGhost54 #35 Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5033 battles

Malinovka is a great place to scout especially if your on the other side from the Windmill.

I blast down the water side and park next to the building telling everyone to sit tight and fire when you see em.

Last game I not only spotted the whole team I survived and got a boat load of points. I must say it wasnt fair for the other side they were wiped

out with 1 tank lost on our side.

EFLICK72 #36 Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
Broke 100k in my luchs today

EFLICK72 #37 Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
100k in elite XP  

FancyTuna8 #38 Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 23766 battles
  • [HNG9]

The main problem for scouts is that their teammates aren't looking ahead of where they are driving, to quickly zoom in on newly-lit targets.  Instead they are still staring intently at the left side of the rock where that td was before it disappeared off the map.

sIade #39 Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 381 battles

View PostFancyTuna8, on 23 February 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

The main problem for scouts is that their teammates aren't looking ahead of where they are driving, to quickly zoom in on newly-lit targets.  Instead they are still staring intently at the left side of the rock where that td was before it disappeared off the map.

As Arty I try to aim ahead of the scouts

O' Hail, O' Hail Artillery!
King of Battle follow me
Nothing in this life is free
Raining Steel on enemies!

Godeater 333 #40 Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 23 February 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Try it with coated optics, camo net and spall liner. The Leopard is kinda like the Pz. IV/V it makes for a really nice battering ram, against other lights or squishy targets like arty. AND speaking of arty, us scouts are priority target #1 for arty so the spall liner helps ease the hit if and when arty manages to land one or the splash damage if their off just by a hair.

I had a Leopard during the beta and got it's crew to 100%, with the set up I said above^^ I was able to spot targets that where 380m+ out and remain hidden as I watched them scurry out of fear. A good example is the middle of Mountain pass, I could roll up to the hill on either side of the middle flat and spot targets hugging the hill trying to go round the mountain OR even the bridge with proper placement. IF I went up to the ruins that are on top of the hill in the middle I was able to see targets on the entire map, the ice road, the mountain, the bridge even the little hill that arty likes to use on the north spawn. The higher your crews skill the better your light tank preforms. :smile:

Optics over Binocs, Saerb? I've been tempted on account of the flat bonus so I can spot better while on the move, but I can't walk away from the bigger boost on the Binocs. It's one or the other for me, as I'm totally on board about the Spall Liners and it goes without saying that the cammo net is staying put. 

Also tagged with Scout, scouting, Light, Spotting, Teamwork

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users