Scout scouting Light Spotting Teamwork

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

AnonymousHobo69 #41 Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 38730 battles
  • [KMD]

I totally agree with this, tired of doing 1-2k dmg. driving my chaffee in tier 10 games and still losing because my teamates are grossly incompetent and not shooting at what I spot.

EFLICK72 #42 Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
I got scout 2x today on Mt pass, I highlite where it is a am going and tell them over the mic, run across the lake in the middle, play peek a boo, spot 10 tanks, pop up about 3 times and notice no one shooting, looks at the big map and 8 of my team is at the bridge and 5 on the east path, only a Stuart went to the middle, needless to say when opfor realized no one was shooting them I was dead meat, both time were very similar, I announced every way possible what I was doing, and need somebody to shoot my targets, its like they never play Mt pass before lol

SCUDERIA07 #43 Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5579 battles

id help if you called out in chat what you spot. with the way the maps are displayed in this game simply the symbols arent enough..

sure you lit a heavy and a med, but the real info is what they are. a T1 heavy and a 3601 or is that a T14 and a panzer 4?

Godeater 333 #44 Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostCinnamonRelic2, on 23 February 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Great post.  

So far I have sucked as a scout.  My tanks never seem fast or manoeuverable enough to avoid getting hit.  I am running two German lights at the moment - the P-38 na and the Pz III A.  When I have managed to spot the OpFor, I am normally killed as I run for cover, with no assistance from my team.

I woukd greatly appreciate some hints and tips on how to become a better scout.

I will however be much more mindful when using my mediums, to support the lights.

And we love you for it, CinnamonRelic2 - I've put together another post on how I roll as a Scout - I've sent you a link - feedback welcome. :)

I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

SG Sooner Magic #45 Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3239 battles
What pleases me most, besides spotting the enemy, is firing my gun into the flank of a big boy and see him/her turn that thing to face me and open his side to my teammates' real guns. It happens way more than it should; my shells bouncing off the flank seems to just annoy some enough to get them to turn. Of course I get a message on occasion asking why I was slugging it out with someone I couldn't hit, but whatever. 

Edited by SG Sooner Magic, 24 February 2014 - 07:01 PM.

Take my opinions lightly. I am an average tanker and all opinions are based on this version; I have not played on the PC.

xRoni7x #46 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11594 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 23 February 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

First, I apologize in advance for the length of my post (the TL;DR crowd should probably just bail now). Second, sweet Haysus I'm loving this game.

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of advice on how to run a Light Tank for Scouting. I've taken huge advantage of it (and thank you to all), and I think I make a pretty good Scout (Scout, Patrol Duty, Confederate Medals are my goals).

My methods are probably the same as everyone else's - Tearing out to midfield, then dashing from cover to cover probing for the OpFor, then, once they're located, keeping them in sight while madly avoiding the huge incoming fire that you're now taking and praying to all the gods ever that your team will put them down before you're scrapped. 

It's that second part I want some help with today. I'm really, really good at getting the OpFor in sight without being seen, and hilariously good at drawing fire as I make passes in front of their lines (Luchs is just a trollmobile for this - don't have a Chaffee yet, but it looks like it might do it just as well). I get a little frustrated when my team fails to capitalize on what I'm doing. 

I should note that I'm not an idiot lemming and if I get killed in the opening minutes then it's only because I made a huge, stupid mistake. In fact, this whole post is aimed at real scouts and those who would see them used properly - not the maniacs who die deep in OpFor territory in the first 60 seconds. 

So, here's my "Support Your Scout!" wishlist:

Please don't follow us. At least, not closely. Yes, Alecto & most American tanks, we see you are very fast. Good for you. But the whole reason we Scouts are out here is so that we see them before they see you. Not us, you. It's ok if they see us. They're supposed to see us and we're equipped to deal with it. What they aren't supposed to see is you, and if you're right up my butt they're going to see us both at the same time. Then we're not Scouts, we're just the guy with the crappiest tank in a tank-fight - unless we fall back and become useless or push too far ahead and get into the kind of trouble we cant get out of. So let us forge ahead find a place to hide and spot while you get settled in for shooting.

Let us call the shots. Odds are that what are a jumble of Red symbols to you are, to us, a Light leading two Mediums followed by a Heavy and a TD. We can probably see who's toughest and who's side on to your position, or even who is going to come out of cover first. If the team leaves the shot calling to the Scouts, focus-fire will actually work (the current model of everyone calling for help on every OpFor they see means that people just ignore the shot calling - I'm taking it back!).

Watch us. We are your eyes. We are going to come upon the OpFor first. We cannot fight them when we find them and will have to run. You may not get a great deal of time to hit them when we find them, and we will not have a great deal of time to live if you fail. By watching us, your sights will be that much closer to the targets when they pop up (this goes double for Arty - Arty should just pick a Light at the start and track them to a target - accuracy will already be decent when the Scout calls the targets).

Don't abandon us. As I stated above, we are the first into harm's way. We will generally be outgunned, outclassed and out-just-about-everything-ed by whatever we find. We will also be, generally, the only enemy the OpFor can see, so we will be getting all the love (Spartan medal in a Light? Check.). We will be running, and hiding, and probably a bit more running. And we will have seconds until the OpFor finally tags us. We are literally waiting for you to deal with them for us so we can go find you the next thing to kill. 

Recognize that our job is not your job... And we look different when we perform our roles. What Scouts bring to the table isn't firepower, it's intel. When we do our jobs, we might resemble non-combatants - we hide a lot, we run away a lot, we hardly ever shoot anything. I've had a guy abuse me over the mic for "camping and not doing anything" - I was hiding in a bush next to the town in Mines, spotting and marking the procession of OpFor moving thru. I got 11 spots that mission, and no OpFor made it through the town. I fired no shots until it was pretty much over. Why? Well, as it stood I could see most of them, I was waaaay out on my own and getting spotted would mean the end of me and the end of our massive visibility advantage. So I just sat there, being eyes. Boring? Yep. Key to victory? Maybe. Doing my job? Absolutely.

...and that we're not crazy. Look, we're fast, ok? Fast enough to dodge bullets. I'm not even kidding here - that thing we do on Malinovka, where we rip up and down in the middle? We're doing that on purpose - not only can we spot the OpFor for you, but most of them will be taking shots at us, giving the rest of our team some valuable free shots. My point is, speed is a huge part of our defense - we won't be staying long once we get spotted, and we might even run back past you as we get away. But don't worry - we'll be back in a few seconds to light the OpFor up for you again, so sit tight and wait for us to swing back around. 

We Scouts can do our bit by maintaining stealth as long as possible, stay at full speed when not in stealth, communicate as much as possible and remember Tank-Fighting With Scouts Rule #1, which is "What the hell are you doing in a fight? Get out of there, idiot!" - there is no Rule #2. 

The ideal battle for a Scout goes: Scouts move up, Team sets up - Scouts spot OpFor Scouts - Team kills OpFor Scouts - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor push - Team kills OpFor push - Team moves up - Scouts move up - Scouts spot OpFor defense and kill Arty - Team kills OpFor defense - Scouts move into OpFor base and drink all the beer before Team gets there and act like they won the battle.

If these were common behaviors, I know it would make my Scout life easier and my Leopard would have fewer holes in it - all the silver from the extra wins would be nice, too.

Thanks for reading - I look forward to exposing you to my team soon! :)

Good read! Unfortunately the people who need to read this, dont come to the forums.

"Have a good day!"

walshaland #47 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4381 battles
  • [-OFF-]

Excellent post.  Very informative and well laid out.

For more info on different scouting styles check out this site.  The info is from WoT pc version but quite relevant.

http://www.tazilon.net/Scouting/ScoutStyles.html

I would +1 you but I messed up my settings and the option to + or - has disappeared from your post.

">

ViolentFever #48 Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 26884 battles
  • [-KWE-]

View PostGodeater 333, on 22 February 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

Yeah, that's pretty much my MO - I've been tempted by the lighthouse but the realities of the battle mean I can't spend any real time trying to get up it - I only try while my team catches up then it's time to again. You're right about the view range, of course - glad I didn't bother - that would have been frustrating! :)

I've made a couple tries for the lighthouse on Cliffs, both from the north side.  Was only successful once.  Otherwise picked off by TDs while climbing the trail.  Once I was up there, I could see everything but had to dodge incoming arty and a TD that came up the trail. 

​My answer to any question about Wargaming and their products?  Everything's great!

Godeater 333 #49 Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostViolentFever, on 24 February 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I've made a couple tries for the lighthouse on Cliffs, both from the north side.  Was only successful once.  Otherwise picked off by TDs while climbing the trail.  Once I was up there, I could see everything but had to dodge incoming arty and a TD that came up the trail. 

Yeah, I'm thinking that the Lighthouse is a bit of a red herring for Scouts -  as pointed out above, your sight range means that you can't actually 'see' the far edge of the map and it takes so long to get up there that the Red team is already in position by the time you're ready to start spotting (which is not what you want - you want to catch them on the move and unprepared) - plus, once up there, you don't have many options for getting down again, and I believe that a good Scout is a mobile and adaptable Scout. I'd hate to spend 5 mins getting up on the LH only to find the OpFor zerged the town. 

Now, for a TD with a good Scout, I reckon the Lighthouse would be a choice position - if it could get up there in time. But I digress... again... XD

OldGreyGhost54 #50 Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5031 battles

DIdnt work so well today. My son and I had fast tanks and on Malinovka we both went to the buildings. We announced to our team our intentions and get ready to fire.

they all scattered to the 4 winds and even though we lite the whole team up ... We were toast in no time as our team members slowly died 1 by 1

When we had the other team lite they could have creamed em.

Saerbhreathach #51 Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21923 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 23 February 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Optics over Binocs, Saerb? I've been tempted on account of the flat bonus so I can spot better while on the move, but I can't walk away from the bigger boost on the Binocs. It's one or the other for me, as I'm totally on board about the Spall Liners and it goes without saying that the cammo net is staying put. 

I don't like the binocs all that much because they don't kick in until you have stopped moving, the coated optics work all the time. Binocs are fine if you are going to be sitting in one place all match like a TD but if you are constantly on the move coated optics are the way to go IMO. Just a little heads up coated optics and the binocs do not stack so it's a waste to equip both :smile:

EFLICK72 #52 Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 6103 battles
My favorite no support position lately is Mt pass, I will.state on mic and ping the map where I am going, across the lake and lite up the enemy as the cross the map, lite them up twice, drop down and look at the map, the entire team is no where to be found, got 8 tanks on the bridge and the rest at the far pass, I spotted 10 tanks, all going the opposite direction, I am yelling on the mic, " the right,s wide open here they come" I get taken out quick, 8tanks come across the lake and wipe out our team,

Saerbhreathach #53 Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21923 battles

View PostEFLICK72, on 25 February 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

My favorite no support position lately is Mt pass, I will.state on mic and ping the map where I am going, across the lake and lite up the enemy as the cross the map, lite them up twice, drop down and look at the map, the entire team is no where to be found, got 8 tanks on the bridge and the rest at the far pass, I spotted 10 tanks, all going the opposite direction, I am yelling on the mic, " the right,s wide open here they come" I get taken out quick, 8tanks come across the lake and wipe out our team,

Yeah had the same situation last night, standard battle on Sand river. I went left to spot what may be trying to sneak around the dunes and to my surprise the entire red team had gone the same way as me. I spotted 14 out of 15, marked the arty for our arty and several other tanks but alas my whole team lemminged right leaving me all alone defending against 14 tanks.

Of course I bailed, got called several names and accused of not being a " team player ". Lol, what do they expect? A Leopard to fend off 14 tanks :teethhappy:

Had they payed attention to my spotting and my marking of targets we may have won that one. We could have stopped them in the dunes and let arty pick em off one by one. They were lucky I even decided to check our flank, could have been a good little lemming and followed everyone else.

armored joe94 #54 Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5373 battles

+10000000000000

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Godeater 333 #55 Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 25 February 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

I don't like the binocs all that much because they don't kick in until you have stopped moving, the coated optics work all the time. Binocs are fine if you are going to be sitting in one place all match like a TD but if you are constantly on the move coated optics are the way to go IMO. Just a little heads up coated optics and the binocs do not stack so it's a waste to equip both :smile:

Ah, bonus info - much obliged. Might give those Optics a try then! :)

FatefulSphinx02 #56 Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8959 battles

Played a capture the flag mission as a Luchs ,

Found all the enemy heavy's just outside the circle crucifying our tanks in the circle,

Ran round behind and  jinking between them drew all  the fire,

Meanwhile comms was full of  my team calling me everything under the sun for being a stupid scout in a pathetic little tank etc,etc.

And as I went up in smoke we won the game as I had pulled the heavies fire away from the guys in the circle long enough for the timer to run down.

Yeah there is no explaining tactics to someone that thinks a small tank is pathetic.

Wolf von Doom #57 Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4782 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 25 February 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Ah, bonus info - much obliged. Might give those Optics a try then! :)

Binos are good if you passively scout parts of the time, they are longer range. The optics are linked to a tank and it costs 10 gold to get silver back for them if you sell the vehicle.

On PC you could move binos from vehicle to vehicle. Maybe they will implement that, as it is now you can sell it easier...

HighlandGunner1 #58 Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 8336 battles

Have a look at this. Its on scouting.

http://forum-console...202#entry287202

Godeater 333 #59 Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10759 battles

View PostWolf von Doom, on 26 February 2014 - 01:42 AM, said:

Binos are good if you passively scout parts of the time, they are longer range. The optics are linked to a tank and it costs 10 gold to get silver back for them if you sell the vehicle.

On PC you could move binos from vehicle to vehicle. Maybe they will implement that, as it is now you can sell it easier...

I'm only passive until contact with the OpFor, then I'm all motion. By then the OpFor is close enough that I can see them without enhancements, which is what's stopping me from loading the Optics - I really dig the early spotting.

But people are getting smarter, and learning to flank - I'm not exactly getting jumped but it can get hairy - I'm thinking maybe that 10% bonus on the move might come in handier when it all kicks off. 

Happy for some more advice from those in the know. 

D4rk50ul #60 Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2783 battles
Couple issues. Alive scouts are better than dead ones, use view range to see them but stop before they see you. Don't expect your team to run into a compromised position because you think it's ok. American mediums are equal to or better scouts at higher tiers right now due to lack of crew skills, so if you see one it's doing its job. They have better view range and equal radio range, not to mention they can halt an entire enemy advance with their firepower and take a couple shots if need be. Finally welcome to wot xbox edition. Heavies in the back sniping, mediums and TD having to hold the lines, everyone going one direction leaving the other two completely undefended, and chasing kills rather than trying to win.

Also tagged with Scout, scouting, Light, Spotting, Teamwork

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users