• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Matthew J35U5 #1 Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

Malinovka Encounter—Starting positions and tactical map

Encounter battles on Malinovka are often misplayed by many players. With the objective of the battle scenario being to capture the neutral base, many players will move down the hill towards the standard battle spawns, and from there move to take the base. This tactic is ineffective at best, and actively detrimental to your team at worst. Consider, if both teams move down the hill to assault the base, you now have the starting positions of Malinovka standard, and the plan is to assault across the field. Attacking across the field is no more effective in encounter than it is in standard battles. Furthermore, because part of the capture circle is in the swampy depression near the central lake, defending the flag from the south is also ineffective. 

What then is the most effective strategy to win in Malinovka encounter? In general, to win on Malinovka, a team has to win the hill. The team that controls the hill controls the ridge that overlooks the capture circle, and the team that controls that ridge can prevent enemy players from capturing the base. By controlling the hill, a team is able to usually kill enemy players defending against the hill near C5 and E9, and with those locations secured the standard battle spawn locations have little defence against a joint sweep across the field, and down from the hill.

Thus, initial dispositions: Sniping medium tanks and tank destroyers should go to C5 or E9 to provide fire up at tanks on the hill, and to provide fire support against the capture circle. Light tanks should passive scout at the bushes in E7 and F7, or the bushes at C6 or D5. From there, they can provide vision on the capture circle, and can often spot tank destroyers at C5 and E9 when they fire.

All other tanks should go onto the hill. Win the hill, win the game. The capture circle should be almost completely ignored. The exception is that if the fight for the hill becomes stale-mated, or if your tanks on the hill are getting the worst of the fighting, trying to capture the base while enemy tanks don't command the hill has a better chance of success than trying to do so as a last-ditch effort following a loss of the hill. That being said, I have only seen the base be captured successfully twice on this map in several hundred games played on it. In general, battles on this map are fought to the death, with the main battleground the north hill. 

Other tactics:

• Medium tanks or fast heavies flanking around the south field. Don't do it. The tanks at C5 and E9 shooting up at the hill are equally capable of firing down at the field, and they have concealment, the tanks on the field will not. 
  • A general rush across the centre field (between the middle lake and the northern hill). Doesn't work either. Tanks making their way up onto the hill can fire down at you, the tanks at C5 and E9 can fire across at you. A suicide rush by a single scout across the field can light up tanks that are making their way onto the hill, letting your team damage them before they get there, but in general a suicide rush isn't what you want your scouts to be doing.
  • Traversing the D6-E7 area, the base of the cliff overlooking the lake, allowing you to spot the tanks at C5 and E9 for your tanks on the hill and your tanks at C5/E9. This isn't a bad idea, but its risky because so many players like to go to the E2/J6 areas, where they will be able to easily reposition themselves to have shots up at you. 
  • Traversing the base of the northern hill. This is a good strategy, allowing you to come up behind the enemy tanks on the hill, and force them to split their attention between you and your tanks on the hill. For it to be successful though, the snipers at the C5/E9 area have to have been neutralized, otherwise they will have perfect shots at your tank as you ascend the hill. Typically this is something you will want to do to break a stalemate on the hill once most of the enemy tanks have been accounted for. 

KeystoneCops, on 14 June 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Matthew J35U5 #2 Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]
Oh, and if someone wants to write a follow-up guide for Malinovka assault, I want it. Goodness knows I don't have a good strategy for that map.

M33YO #3 Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17448 battles
  • [-I-]
If only you could get 15 people on the same team who have read this and who would play it together.

PYLE33 #4 Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 8046 battles
They need to put this in one of their game strategy guides on the main portal, plus one.
           Equal opportunity does not necessarily mean equal outcomes. 

FledBasher #5 Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18993 battles
  • [HACKS]
Since most people take the hill, I take the scenic route and flank the enemy from the water. This way I can take out arty and light up all those pesky invisible tanks that are firing on the hill and the people supporting the hill. It also stops the enemy from being able to flank while also lighting up flanking tanks before they can light up our support tanks. The hill is important but no more important then flanking is.

Clan Hacks!!! Because... reasons

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

Dr Luigi Phd #6 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6959 battles

View PostMatthew J35U5, on 22 February 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Oh, and if someone wants to write a follow-up guide for Malinovka assault, I want it. Goodness knows I don't have a good strategy for that map.

I have had some regular success assaulting on this map. The problem we all run into most of the time is running out of time. If your team waits till someone on their team to run down the hill and get shot, you will lose. If only one tank runs up the hill, he gets blasted by the firing line. I have found the light tank/spotter tank is the most crucial to winning. If I manage to keep as many targets lit up as possible, my team just goes nuts and destroys them. Also having artillery when assaulting makes it much easier because even if enemies aren't spotted, artys can look for the vapor trails. 

Another interesting tactic that has worked in tier 5-7 games in my Pz V/IV is to rush the left side and slip under the ridgeline. There will usually be some idiot on their team who seems to think that it would be the perfect time to try and get the "Secret Achievement" and come flying off the ridge at you. 

Being that close to tanks I always seem to spot them through the hill. I drive back and forth under the ridgeline spotting enemies watching the points rack up. My first game I did this I only did 223 damage, but spotted over 7000 damage for my team, made 2300 base xp, and 112,000 silver

Matthew J35U5 #7 Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 14028 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostDr Luigi Phd, on 24 February 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

I have had some regular success assaulting on this map. The problem we all run into most of the time is running out of time. If your team waits till someone on their team to run down the hill and get shot, you will lose. If only one tank runs up the hill, he gets blasted by the firing line. I have found the light tank/spotter tank is the most crucial to winning. If I manage to keep as many targets lit up as possible, my team just goes nuts and destroys them. Also having artillery when assaulting makes it much easier because even if enemies aren't spotted, artys can look for the vapor trails. 

Another interesting tactic that has worked in tier 5-7 games in my Pz V/IV is to rush the left side and slip under the ridgeline. There will usually be some idiot on their team who seems to think that it would be the perfect time to try and get the "Secret Achievement" and come flying off the ridge at you. 

Being that close to tanks I always seem to spot them through the hill. I drive back and forth under the ridgeline spotting enemies watching the points rack up. My first game I did this I only did 223 damage, but spotted over 7000 damage for my team, made 2300 base xp, and 112,000 silver

Yeah, I try to go to D6 when I'm on offence as well, usually works well in mediums/light tanks. 

I also have some success going to F5 in a TD/sniping medium, and shooting up onto the hill. However, I have not had any success trying to advance up the 0 line, you have plenty of concealment, but the slope isn't steep enough to give you any real cover, and I haven't found E8 to be of much use. C5 on the other flank can work, but it seems to be tier dependant, the higher tier tanks seem to be too big to hide behind that small ridge, but maybe that's just my imagination. I've only had mixed success trying to advance up the A line to the church, sometimes it works, but other times the people on the hill just obliterate me. I haven't really had enough experience at it to know whether I'm erring when I fail, or the defenders are erring when I succeed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users