I impulse bought the Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmaultrum

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Cobravert #1 Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23954 battles
  • [WPLAC]

Last night I just had a really good game in my VK 36.01H, and had one of those "Special Offer" windows pop up afterward.

The tank it offered me was the Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmaultrum. I've never heard of nor have seen one before, but for the stats it showed seemed to be ok, and it was for only 2,800 gold. This included the garage slot, fully trained crew, 3-3x and 3-4x crew boosts. It didn't seem like a bad tank for the gold, and I could use another decent German for this current op.

Honestly, it's not a bad tank. The gun is very accurate, as per it's "Accuracy" advertised special deal. In tier it's decent, but against VIIIs , well use your imagination...

It's a little faster than the T-43. I raced one up the hill on Westfield.

Despite it's appearance with the side panel armor, don't be fooled. It's purely aesthetic. Even side scraping, it bounced no shots.

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/G77_PzIV_Schmalturm/

ACS138 #2 Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15218 battles
The side panels should be effective against HE splash but that's about it. Not sure but I seem to recall WG saying the Tie-fighter panels on this and the Pz. IV H do reduce HE damage.
"Be moderate in your temper, and unyielding in your principles. Or change your mind and yell about it"

Pawel Broda 73 #3 Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26597 battles

Very interesting

Front of turret - what do you think ?

- ,could bounce VI tiers MT&LT and lower tier ?

And may you decribe how it earn credits and XP points ?

In my opinion price is much cheaper then last premium - III'rd thier swedish Toldi III (3355 gold)

;-)

Good decision, early premium Panther on VI's tier.

135 damage per shot for a medium six is O.K. (imo)

Merun #4 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9338 battles
  • [FRONT]

View PostACS138, on 14 June 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

The side panels should be effective against HE splash but that's about it. Not sure but I seem to recall WG saying the Tie-fighter panels on this and the Pz. IV H do reduce HE damage.

The panels on the IV H are extra armor, the panels on the Schmalturm are just decoration and in the armor viewer just not there.

Merun, official smartass of clan [FRONT]

I want people to understand because I want to understand as well.

Yes, I am the one guy with a different opinion.

Don't believe my battle count. It is missing 12355 battles on PC(and not a single one will ever be added to that number again) and 852 battles on mobile.

Cobravert #5 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23954 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostPawel Broda 73, on 14 June 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

Very interesting

Front of turret - what do you think ?

- ,could bounce VI tiers MT&LT and lower tier ?

And may you decribe how it earn credits and XP points ?

In my opinion price is much cheaper then last premium - III'rd thier swedish Toldi III (3355 gold)

;-)

Good decision, early premium Panther on VI's tier.

135 damage per shot for a medium six is O.K. (imo)

The overwhelming amount of shots I received were in the side panels. I kept my turret turned between shots as I've been accustomed to doing with German tanks.

As far as earning XP, it's subjective. In tier you'll do fine. Against VIIIs you are just fodder for the big boys, as per normal that I and extremely sick and tired of being subjected to. The majority of my games anymore have been either -1 or -2, more -2 than any. It's infuriating at times.

Albapfalzd3 #6 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14627 battles

View PostCobravert, on 14 June 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Last night I just had a really good game in my VK 36.01H, and had one of those "Special Offer" windows pop up afterward.

The tank it offered me was the Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmaultrum. I've never heard of nor have seen one before, but for the stats it showed seemed to be ok, and it was for only 2,800 gold. This included the garage slot, fully trained crew, 3-3x and 3-4x crew boosts. It didn't seem like a bad tank for the gold, and I could use another decent German for this current op.

Honestly, it's not a bad tank. The gun is very accurate, as per it's "Accuracy" advertised special deal. In tier it's decent, but against VIIIs , well use your imagination...

It's a little faster than the T-43. I raced one up the hill on Westfield.

Despite it's appearance with the side panel armor, don't be fooled. It's purely aesthetic. Even side scraping, it bounced no shots.

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/G77_PzIV_Schmalturm/

I got the same offer last night and snapped it up. had a real good game in it today, over 3500 (just over 2000 actual and around 1500 assist) combined damage with 2 or 3 (can't remember) kills in a Tier VIII match but we lost. Yes the gun is very accurate with good penetration but it lacks alpha. The mobility is pretty good but turret traverse is a bit slow but vehicle traverse is pretty good.  It also has pretty good view range when combined with optics is even better at over 400 meters. Recon and SA will take it out to over 420. Yeah I'm liking it. 

Roy

Morgotha #7 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 36440 battles
I have one and used to use it one and off by have started using mine again for both training my crew up to rank ten and this current op. It's not a bad and best played as a second sniper pweh pweh tank chipping away. It's turret isn't bad armour wise but it's hull.is best hidden when possible.

ACS138 #8 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15218 battles
Hey, Merun, thanks for the clarification. I've thought about picking up this tank before because among other things I thought panels did count. Appreciate the correction. :honoring:
"Be moderate in your temper, and unyielding in your principles. Or change your mind and yell about it"

Cobravert #9 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23954 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostMorgotha, on 14 June 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have one and used to use it one and off by have started using mine again for both training my crew up to rank ten and this current op. It's not a bad and best played as a second sniper pweh pweh tank chipping away. It's turret isn't bad armour wise but it's hull.is best hidden when possible.

Yeah, I'm going to have to start using it hull down. Not sure what the gun depression on it is though.

SaltyMcD #10 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 15312 battles
  • [AMINO]
  Welcome to the Schmaultrum master race .  We meet at 6pm every tuesday on the Australian server . 
Spoiler

Merun #11 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9338 battles
  • [FRONT]

View PostACS138, on 14 June 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Hey, Merun, thanks for the clarification. I've thought about picking up this tank before because among other things I thought panels did count. Appreciate the correction. :honoring:

You're welcome.

It is still a great tank if you can play it. It is a good sniper with the mobility to change positions quickly enough and you can play it hull down against some enemies. I had it on my PC account and bought it here again some years ago. Also it is a Pz IV and i collect all Pz II, IV, VI and VIII variants xD

Don't believe my battle count. It is missing 12355 battles on PC(and not a single one will ever be added to that number again) and 852 battles on mobile.

Merun #12 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9338 battles
  • [FRONT]

Just in case you wonder what Schmalturm means:

Schmal = Narrow

Turm = Turret(in this case)

So Schmalturm means Narrow Turret. But I wonder why it's turret is called that way. It doesn't seem very narrow to me :/

TocFanKe4 #13 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18579 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostMerun, on 14 June 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

The panels on the IV H are extra armor, the panels on the Schmalturm are just decoration and in the armor viewer just not there.

This used to be the case, but WG on console has stated previously that they are now 1 mm spaced armor.  That's unless they changed it back

Till the Servers fall apart and burn

Merun #14 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9338 battles
  • [FRONT]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 14 June 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

This used to be the case, but WG on console has stated previously that they are now 1 mm spaced armor.  That's unless they changed it back

I don't know if it was changed. They aren't there if you look at the armor. And that is the only information I can rely on at the moment.

TocFanKe4 #15 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18579 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostMerun, on 14 June 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

I don't know if it was changed. They aren't there if you look at the armor. And that is the only information I can rely on at the moment.

I'm trying to find the quote but of course our console forum search function is beyond bad.  I remember I used to complain about it all the time, but on one of the server upgrades we got side skirt armor. 

Till the Servers fall apart and burn

Cobravert #16 Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23954 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostMerun, on 14 June 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Schmal = Narrow

So Schmalturm means Narrow Turret. But I wonder why it's turret is called that way. It doesn't seem very narrow to me :/

Yeah, that's not quite what I thought it meant either. It's not a cylindrical turret like other Pz IVs, but it's not narrow, considering the tank it came from. It's narrow in the face, bit it's got wide cheek bones.

Albapfalzd3 #17 Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14627 battles

View PostMerun, on 14 June 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Schmal = Narrow

The front of the turret was much narrower than the rest of the turret which was a pretty radical design change when compared to previous designs. This gave the turret a very good ballistic proof shape. On the flip side the turret was quite tall which is not a good thing.

Roy

SGT Rock 1963 #18 Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12481 battles
  • [JOCO]
Thats a good deal. Bought mine in the tree, During a 50% off sale last year. I like it. Kind of a baby panther. Its called the Tie-Fighter. Run some premium fuel. It doesnt increase speed, But it does make it get to that speed faster, Its more responsive. Improves turret rotation as well.

Merun #19 Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9338 battles
  • [FRONT]

View PostCobravert, on 14 June 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Yeah, that's not quite what I thought it meant either. It's not a cylindrical turret like other Pz IVs, but it's not narrow, considering the tank it came from. It's narrow in the face, bit it's got wide cheek bones.

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 14 June 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

The front of the turret was much narrower than the rest of the turret which was a pretty radical design change when compared to previous designs. This gave the turret a very good ballistic proof shape. On the flip side the turret was quite tall which is not a good thing.

Roy

Thanks guys

Coupdeteat #20 Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24695 battles
  • [HIRAM]
I don’t think I’ve ever gotten one of these offers, is there some game results criteria you met or is it just random?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users