Support your Team!: Scout Guide

Scouts Scouting Spotting Stealth Lights Light Dodging Support

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Godeater 333 #1 Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles

Well, a big thank you to all for the positive response to my recent "Support your Scout!" thread. It's very cool to have a community this motivated and supportive. 

I've had a few calls to expand on my Scouting expertise. While my ego is loving it, I can't say I'm an expert by any means - everything I know I learned from this forum and from the several hundred battles I've had, so my first bit of advice is search around the forum for helpful threads and keep getting out into the field and trying out different tactics. 

After that, for what it's worth, here's what I think we Scouts need to be doing. As usual, I'll skip the basics and assume that anyone who has read this far already has a few battles under their belt. 

Set Up

First and foremost, learn the maps - we already know the importance of terrain, but from the Scouting perspective what we're interested in are lines of approach - the places the OpFor will be coming from - that's where we want to be, and we want to be there and hiding before the OpFor comes through. At the start of the battle, check the map and decide where you're going.

The main defense of the Scout is Stealth - the OpFor can't shoot you if they don't know you're there. In the opening minutes of the battle, tear ahead to the place you've picked out. Find a good spot with some bushes, maybe knock over a tree and use that*, or hide behind a rock in a pinch, but do it quickly. The OpFor Scouts are going to be along any second and you want to be invisible when they come through. 

*Edit: As pointed out by Buick350X, Arty can see those trees falling - it's up to you if you want to take the gamble, but there's always a chance the Red Arty saw the tree fall and decides to drop a random shell there - even a near miss can hurt your track, and there goes your defense.

Watch, wait, move. 

So, now you're sitting in a bush looking down an empty approach. One of three things will happen here: Nothing, the Team catches up to you, or the OpFor comes through. 

In the first two cases, you move up, repeating the process set out above - roll out, find a spot to hide, case the area until your team arrives. Note that you should never get so far ahead of your team that they can't bail you out when you inevitably get into trouble - by the same token, try to keep your Team in LOS so they can fire on anyone who comes after you. Keep doing this until you contact the OpFor or are sitting in their base. 

Contact

Contact with the OpFor is where the Scouts separate themselves from the people just driving Lights. Your job now is to keep the OpFor in sight and lit up so that your team can put them down. To do that, you need to stay hidden. This means not shooting - even at sitting ducks. As soon as you fire, you're exposed - you know what happens then. So, sit tight as long as possible, scope out the OpFor and call shots for your team. Give them the priority targets - the closest, the damaged, the dangerous (and one target at a time, guys - if you spam fire requests at different targets, they'll ignore you - if you wait until the one you tagged is dead before tagging another, many players will clue on to what you're doing and start treating you like a Scout). This may sound boring, but in the Scout's ideal day, this is all you do. Of course, we all know it won't go that way.

So, now we're spotting OpFor and our Team is savaging them mercilessly. One of three things will happen here: our team will overrun the OpFor position (this is the time where it's ok for you to take a few shots at the OpFor, if you really must)the Opfor will overrrun our Team's positionor you will get spotted mid-fight (this also applies if you contact the OpFor while you're on the move) 

In the first case, return to the top and repeat the whole Scouting process. In the second two cases, you will now be running. Oh, so much running. 

Extraction (Running and Dodging)

At some point, you will not be able to remain where you are. You'll get spotted, or the OpFor will overrun your position. This is where you employ the Scout's secondary defense - speed. 

Remember, odds are that every single tank you'll run across outclasses you. Our crap guns are for kill-shots on the weak and crippling track shots on the strong. You cannot sustain any kind of fight against anything except Arty and other Lights. Everything else will tear you apart if you behave like a regular tank. 

When the OpFor sees you, fire your one shot if you so desire, but either way you run like hell. What you're looking to do here is break LOS with the OpFor - corners, rocks, sheer distance (remember, we're fast, so it's ok to flee halfway across the map - you'll be back on the front line in no time) and of course, your Team. Do not run further into OpFor territory. There is only more OpFor there, and you'll just be surrounded and killed. When you run, you run back or sideways - never forwards. 

As you run, you have to Dodge. Dodging shells is hands-down the most fun you'll have as a Scout, but it's kind of an art. Most tanks have a trade-off between speed and agilty - ie, if you're going flat out, you're not turning and if you're turning you're not going flat-out. So, the trick is to find a balance between speed and agility. It also helps to keep in mind at all times that if you've got that exclamation point on your screen then between one and fifteen guns are homing in on you right now. As you run, jink - quick little zig-zags that throw off the OpFor's aim. Do them often, but irregularly - if you run in long sweeps then some clever TD'er is going to lead you and stop you (like me - I can track a moving Luchs across Mali). The main, horrible way to get good at it is to practice and learn your limitations. Yes, this means getting killed a lot as part of the trial and error process, but if you limit your practice sessions to late enough in the battle that you don't matter anymore then you'll minimize the team-screwing. Once you get good at it, you, too, will be tearing across Mali midfield with shells raining down around you, the dismayed cries of your Team turning into begrudging admiration as you somehow, somehow, pull that off (my record is two full runs across the field, midway, from lake to lake, over 50% health. Challenge issued, my brothers and sisters).

Special note about running away - if there's a hill near you, run down it. Not only does it break LOS and give you cover, but you moooove going downhill. This is just ridiculous on Westfield - you power up to that snipers nest at the end of the bridge, sight the whole valley and once the OpFor base is clear you can get down there in seconds. Just remember to go down on an angle so you don't catch air on bumps. 

Anyway, ideally, you'll be able to retreat back down your own line of approach and under the comforting guns of your Team, who will then lay waste to whatever was chasing you, but all you really need is to drop off of the OpFor's radar - even hiding behind a big rock while they blow the hell out of the other side of it for 10 seconds or so will do it - but be patient - wait for your team to take care of them. Once you've done that, you go back to the standard Scouting process (taking into account the fluid nature of a combat situation, of course - they're on to you now, and they know vaguely where you are - poke your nose out with caution).

Cover

A quick note on cover, which I won't go into too much due to several excellent threads already in place, the main thing to keep in mind if that if there is light shining anywhere on your hull, you are not in visual cover and if your hull is longer or taller than the rock you're behind, they can totally see you, dude - and German TD's are insanely accurate. Also, Cammo paint & Cammo nets are a must for hiding.

I think that about covers Basic Scouting. I didn't get too much into the specifics of each map, scenario, tank class, etc - I figured perhaps the various replies might get into that, as well as posting battle anecdotes around what has and has not worked for other Scouts. I know there are some incredible Light drivers and Scouts out there - way better than me, so I for one would be delighted to hear from them below.

UPDATE: Well, this brings back memories. I suppose I should add some stuff for the Tier VI-VIII Lights which did not exist when my rookie self wrote this up. I'm going to be a tiny bit lazy and just paste in a lengthy response to a message from a fellow forumer, which deals specifically with Lights vs Pattons, but since Mediums are the Scout-killers in high-Tier battles it should adapt reasonably well as general advice. Forgive the View Range stuff - it's a bit basic to veterans, but this post was always intended for new Scouts so I'll leave it in. 

I'll put some links in below that will give you all the technical details on view range and spotting/detection, but in response to a specific situation:

A Tank can detect any Tank within its view range. The thing is, all that means is it has a chance to detect Tanks within that range. The game will compare your vision with your target's cammo rating - if your vision is stronger than their cammo, you'll detect them. If not, you won't.

Your vision is made up of your View Range: Tank View Range + any equipment bonuses (Optics, Binocs, Vents) + skill bonuses (Sit Aware, Recon, BIA) + Consumables (cola, chocolate, etc).

Your target's Cammo Rating is made up of: Tank Cammo Rating + equip (Cammo Nets, Vents, Cammo paint) + skills (Cammo, Green Thumb, Silent Running, Muffled Shot, BIA) + Consumables

Now, max detection range is a hard 445m, period - you cannot detect a Tank outside that distance (you can see a Tank further than that if it's detected by a friendly Tank that's within radio range of you, but you can't 'see' it directly yourself). I'm pretty sure you know that, but I'll just be pedantic and add it anyway.

This might sound like there's no point improving your vision past 445m, but this is not the case. Any View Range you get over 445m goes towards improving the 'strength' of your vision - this means you'll be better at breaking through the cammo rating of Red Tanks. That's the real trick to Scouting, especially at high Tiers; since you all have the same view range, detection comes down to relative Cammo Ratings (and it is the only reason Lights are viable in Teir X battles).

With a View Range of 462m, a Patton can see out to max distance; however, the cammo rating of the Patton is relatively low, which means that it will often be outspotted by Scouts and hidden TDs (some Light Scouts have View Ranges as high as 577m , which will blast through cammo ratings like APCR - plus Lights retain their cammo ratings on the move, unlike Mediums, so about the only way a Patton is going to outspot a Light is to either be in a bush with Nets (waste of a slot on a Patton) or to use speed to get so close that your vision overwhelms their cammo by sheer proximity (often way too much proximity). That's not to say you can't Scout in a Medium, just that Lights are better at it (Scout Mediums like the Patton are better at Scouting early then turning into flankers - they do so much murder that way).

Example: A Patton and a Ru 251, both with every possible vision/stealth enhancing gear/skill/consumables, are heading right at each at full speed with no bushes. The Ru 251 will detect the Patton at the max range of 445m, while the Patton will not see the Ru 251 until it's within 329m. Taking it further, if the Ru 251 were to stop dead as soon as the Patton lit up, that distance drops to 305m - the Patton would have to cross another 140m of open field before seeing the 251, during which time he would be under fire. 

Anyway, Detection is a little more complicated than "you can see all within x meters", and at Tier X, your poor old cammo is going up against some blistering vision strength. On the bright side, the Patton can take a hit, unlike those paper-thin Lights, and a Patton will gobble up most Lights that it finds, so once you see them, kill them quickly.

These sites are absolute gems for Spotting Mechanics:

http://wiki.wargamin...tting_Mechanics

http://www.wotinfo.n...camo-calculator

Note on Optics: Many dedicated Scouts (like me) will run both Optics and Binocs on lower-Tier Scouts (Luchs, Stuart, Leopard VK 16.02)  - Optics for Active and Binocs for Passive Scouting. Note that the two DO NOT stack, so it's only ever one or the other. As per the above, Scouts need view range more than anything else, so it's viable to run both Equipment types. On any other Tank, it's a waste of a slot. 

Note on TD's: Many TD's are using the new perks, like Muffled Shot and Green Thumb - it's making them ridiculously hard to detect at the moment. I've been using a combination of highly-Active Scouting to get very close then insane shell-dodging skills (speed, unpredictability and terrain-use) to get away alive. It is definitely a high-skill, high-pressure job these days.

One thing I will say about Lights. tho - they do not fight like any other Tank - it's so important to engage enemies only on your terms - never on theirs, or you will die. Speed, stealth, and sheer treachery are your weapons. It's more important for you to put your eyes on the Reds than your guns, and keeping your finger off that trigger is probably the hardest part of Scouting.

As soon as you are seen, be in motion and do not stop again untill you are out of their sight and out of their minds (also, never run deeper. Always flee back to your team. I know, heat of the moment and all that, but Light Scouts don't have the luxury of panic - we're always outnumbered, outflanked, outgunned. A cool head is the only way to manage the situations we get ourselves into).

Note on Cammo Ratings: Every Tank has a different cammo rating - you can see it in-game by hitting Y on any tank in your garage - cammo rating is on the chart on the right. Bear in mind that some Lights are stealthier than others, and TD's are usually the most stealthy.

Lights are unique in that they do not drop cammo rating on the move - it's how we are not only able to get so close to Reds before getting seen, but also how we are able to get into well-hidden postions so early - we didn't really get there much earlier than the Reds did, just that we were practically undetectable while we did it. A Light moving though a line of bushes is as hard to detect as a Light sitting still in those bushes. In places like El Halluff and Steppes, where there are rows of bushes, Scouts can move up and down the midfield with near-impunity, popping out to take the odd shot or light up another Red then vanishing again.

Note on High-Tier Scouting vs Mediums: High-Tier Lights do behave a little more like Mediums. They aren't, tho, so don't go getting yourself killed in corner brawls. High-Tier Scouting in just a lot more Active than it is in low Tiers. Your main job is still to deliver intel and you're still the weakest Tank out there pound-for-pound.  You now have a decent gun, but it must be used judiciously - Light Scouts generally have some quirky element to their guns, be it long reloads, long aim time or low pen/alpha, so use that as the guide to how often you should be shooting - Light Scouts are geared for hit and run tactics and for ganking the wounded/distracted late-game, but in the beginning you're far too valuable to your team to be risking death in a protracted engagement.

I think Scouting is the most rewarding role in WoT - not only absolutely vital to a strong team but a hell of a lot of fun and excitement. Good luck out there - let there be many Patrol Duty* medals in your future!

*any fool with a deathwish can get a Scout medal. Real Scouts covet the PD, since that's our job. :)

Thanks for reading!  I look forward to sneaking up on your Arty soon!

Edited by Godeater 333, 07 March 2016 - 02:48 AM.

I apologize for the length of my post.

Scout Guide  Support your Scout!

FatAngrySmurf #2 Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6836 battles
Thanks for another great post +1

iTank sometimes #3 Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17124 battles

not sure if you think this beats your mali record but I got my m5 stuart from the 1 line spawn side to the tree line in the middle of the killing field and stayed undetected for almost 3 mins. I believe the leopard and luchs are fast enough with a good enough cammo rating to get there too, I know other lower tier light tanks can but playing a true scout role in low tiers can be a lot hardrr because of the number of rushers

+1

Godeater 333 #4 Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles

View PostiTank sometimes, on 24 February 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

not sure if you think this beats your mali record but I got my m5 stuart from the 1 line spawn side to the tree line in the middle of the killing field and stayed undetected for almost 3 mins. I believe the leopard and luchs are fast enough with a good enough cammo rating to get there too, I know other lower tier light tanks can but playing a true scout role in low tiers can be a lot hardrr because of the number of rushers

+1

That is Mucho Scout - I'll credit that over my field runs. :)

I should probably be clear on the whole "field run" thing - it's not really your go-to move - it's just that when you are not as clever and fortunate as our iTank sometimes is and you get busted mid-field, you can't just run straight back to your lines as you'll be an easy target - so you have to take off sideways and angle yourself back to cover or your lines.  The "Mali Field Run" was born of the need to get away followed by the realization that many, many humans can't track laterally very well. I imagine it's where many Light drivers first grasp the capabilities of a Light tank. 

CinnamonRelic2 #5 Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3452 battles

Thanks for taking the time to put this up.  Invaluable info for those of us learning to scout.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

G K Chesterton.

walshaland #6 Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4380 battles
  • [-OFF-]
Excellent post. Very informative good solid advice. +1'd you. Let's hope people use the wisdom and tips.

">

DrHorrible4Life #7 Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12308 battles
Great post.  Love that you yook the time.  Only thing is - knocked down trees have NO camo value.

Godeater 333 #8 Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles

View PostDrHorrible4Life, on 24 February 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Great post.  Love that you yook the time.  Only thing is - knocked down trees have NO camo value.

Waahh?!? But I've used them tons of times and not been seen. Do you mean there is a game mechanic that gives them zero cover value or do you just mean because the knocked-down tree is a bit of a giveaway that someone is hiding there? 

To counter the latter, I've taken to knocking down several trees as I go to create decoys - but if there's something in the code that makes it pointless I'll stop doing it at all - and amend the OP! Would you mind elaborating?

Black7emplar #9 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5965 battles
A+ all the way Scout! you tell my arty that i said hello an ill tell yours the same. Roll out an stay alive!
"Corrallin heavies.... Its a light thing"

Rouge Baron #10 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 25213 battles
  • [47R]

1) Do not follow another scout. Two scouts going the same way are a waste of team resources.

2) Do not sit behind your heavies unless there are enemy tanks up ahead which have already been spotted.

3) If there is a chance, go for the OPFOR arty.

4) Do not sit in one spot unless you are at a strategic location and know/guess that the enemy is headed that way.

5) If asking for friendly fire support, especially arty, keep that enemy spotted.

6) Do not take the obvious route. E.g. in cliff, if you can make it, go up to the light house. If you spawn away from it, head to the horseshoe, up the ridge. Try to spot the OPFOR coming up to the ridge from the far side. If they do not show up, try to spot the enemy arty. There is no point in going round the lighthouse near the water's edge where your heavies are already headed and your spotting abilities are of limited use. In Mines, you are better off in the mines or near the lighthouse than in the village.

7) Most of your spotting depends on how fast you move at the start of the game. Especially, in Sand River, where the central dune near the intersection of the roads is a great spot to catch the enemy trying to cross over. If you do not move or waste your time pushing heavies or TDs at the start of the game, you are probably as much use to the team as an AFK player.

Do NOT knock down trees, fire randomly at the start of the game. I have had a few kills as arty where I got the first kill without a single enemy being spotted. I look for tracers, trees being knocked down as indication of enemy. I also use knocked down trees as an indicator to where the enemy might be.

Also, do not stray too far from your team. At lower tiers, arty and friendlies simply do not have the range to see OR shoot what you are spotting.

Edited by Rouge Baron, 24 February 2014 - 07:48 PM.

If the enemy is in range, so are you! - Murphy's Law of War.

CinnamonRelic2 #11 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3452 battles

View PostDrHorrible4Life, on 24 February 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yeah, I I thought I had read that somewhere in one of WOTs own game guides, I've looked again at the official scout and spotting guides and they clearly say you can use bushes and trees as cover, though they don't specify if the tree is standing or knocked down.  However, the video that explains the mechanics, posted here http://forum-console...875#entry284875 states (around 6:17) that fallen trees do not provide cover.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

G K Chesterton.

SG Sooner Magic #12 Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3239 battles

Great post except for the trees down part. The video I saw says that they have zero camo rating once they are down. That means that the enemy should be able to see through them as if they were not even there.

Edited: I just saw someone else post the same thing.  It is in the video posted in this topic:

http://forum-console...875#entry284875

Edited by SG Sooner Magic, 24 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

Take my opinions lightly. I am an average tanker and all opinions are based on this version; I have not played on the PC.

Godeater 333 #13 Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles
Edited to correct the "fallen trees" advice - much obliged, guys.

MaxChaos24 #14 Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12874 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostGodeater 333, on 24 February 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Edited to correct the "fallen trees" advice - much obliged, guys.

Your gonna have to edit it back now. lol I also originally though that fallen trees no longer provide camo because of that video, however I was corrected and showed the New video. That video is from the old mechanics which have changed. Trees do provide a camo bonus. I even had the admins verify it as well as SixxGunns .

New Mechanics Video - A little after 5:09

Rouge Baron #15 Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 25213 battles
  • [47R]
It is still a no-no to knock down trees. I hate it when I am defending in Malinovka, I am sitting/camping at the edge of the small ridge where every enemy tank is focussed on, and this numbnut comes across and starts knocking down the trees next to you, and the next thing you know a hundred stray shots meant for him start hitting you.

If the enemy is in range, so are you! - Murphy's Law of War.

Godeater 333 #16 Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles
Fixed the tree thing in the OP - still haven't been spotted through one, so I'm treating it as 'working' until someone does. 

Saerbhreathach #17 Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21901 battles

I feel this deserves a bump. With the rise in scout numbers, I've noticed more scouts out there then normal. Perhaps with any luck at least a few will have a read and learn.

+1 great post!! 

Just to clarify. Fallen trees do in fact provide a camo bonus.http://www.wotinfo.n...vegetation_camo  :honoring:

Godeater 333 #18 Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10332 battles

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 07 March 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

I feel this deserves a bump. With the rise in scout numbers, I've noticed more scouts out there then normal. Perhaps with any luck at least a few will have a read and learn.

+1 great post!! 

Just to clarify. Fallen trees do in fact provide a camo bonus.http://www.wotinfo.n...vegetation_camo  :honoring:

Great, now I have to update it for the new Lights... just kidding - thanks Saerb - nice to know it's helpful to some. :)

Saerbhreathach #19 Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:16 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21901 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 06 March 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

Great, now I have to update it for the new Lights... just kidding - thanks Saerb - nice to know it's helpful to some. :)

Hopefully more then some:great:

Fear Da Butter #20 Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 34714 battles

View PostGodeater 333, on 23 February 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Well, a big thank you to all for the positive response to my recent "Support your Scout!" thread. It's very cool to have a community this motivated and supportive.

I've had a few calls to expand on my Scouting expertise. While my ego is loving it, I can't say I'm an expert by any means - everything I know I learned from this forum and from the several hundred battles I've had, so my first bit of advice is search around the forum for helpful threads and keep getting out into the field and trying out different tactics. 

After that, for what it's worth, here's what I think we Scouts need to be doing. As usual, I'll skip the basics and assume that anyone who has read this far already has a few battles under their belt.

Set Up

First and foremost, learn the maps - we already know the importance of terrain, but from the Scouting perspective what we're interested in are lines of approach - the places the OpFor will be coming from - that's where we want to be, and we want to be there and hiding before the OpFor comes through. At the start of the battle, check the map and decide where you're going.

The main defense of the Scout is Stealth - the OpFor can't shoot you if they don't know you're there. In the opening minutes of the battle, tear ahead to the place you've picked out. Find a good spot with some bushes, maybe knock over a tree and use that*, or hide behind a rock in a pinch, but do it quickly. The OpFor Scouts are going to be along any second and you want to be invisible when they come through.

*Edit: As pointed out by Buick350X, Arty can see those trees falling - it's up to you if you want to take the gamble, but there's always a chance the Red Arty saw the tree fall and decides to drop a random shell there - even a near miss can hurt your track, and there goes your defense.

*Second Edit: There is some contention over whether or not fallen trees provide visual cover. Some links in the posts below indicate that they do, so I'm choosing to believe it until I'm spotted through a fallen tree. 

Watch, wait, move.

So, now you're sitting in a bush looking down an empty approach. One of three things will happen here: Nothing, the Team catches up to you, or the OpFor comes through.

In the first two cases, you move up, repeating the process set out above - roll out, find a spot to hide, case the area until your team arrives. Note that you should never get so far ahead of your team that they can't bail you out when you inevitably get into trouble - by the same token, try to keep your Team in LOS so they can fire on anyone who comes after you. Keep doing this until you contact the OpFor or are sitting in their base.

Contact

Contact with the OpFor is where the Scouts separate themselves from the people just driving Lights. Your job now is to keep the OpFor in sight and lit up so that your team can put them down. To do that, you need to stay hidden. This means not shooting - even at sitting ducks. As soon as you fire, you're exposed - you know what happens then. So, sit tight as long as possible, scope out the OpFor and call shots for your team. Give them the priority targets - the closest, the damaged, the dangerous (and one target at a time, guys - if you spam fire requests at different targets, they'll ignore you - if you wait until the one you tagged is dead before tagging another, many players will clue on to what you're doing and start treating you like a Scout). This may sound boring, but in the Scout's ideal day, this is all you do. Of course, we all know it won't go that way.

So, now we're spotting OpFor and our Team is savaging them mercilessly. One of three things will happen here: our team will overrun the OpFor position (this is the time where it's ok for you to take a few shots at the OpFor, if you really must)the Opfor will overrrun our Team's positionor you will get spotted mid-fight (this also applies if you contact the OpFor while you're on the move) 

In the first case, return to the top and repeat the whole Scouting process. In the second two cases, you will now be running. Oh, so much running.

Extraction (Running and Dodging)

At some point, you will not be able to remain where you are. You'll get spotted, or the OpFor will overrun your position. This is where you employ the Scout's secondary defense - speed.

Remember, odds are that every single tank you'll run across outclasses you. Our crap guns are for kill-shots on the weak and crippling track shots on the strong. You cannot sustain any kind of fight against anything except Arty and other Lights. Everything else will tear you apart if you behave like a regular tank.

When the OpFor sees you, fire your one shot if you so desire, but either way you run like hell. What you're looking to do here is break LOS with the OpFor - corners, rocks, sheer distance (remember, we're fast, so it's ok to flee halfway across the map - you'll be back on the front line in no time) and of course, your Team. Do not run further into OpFor territory. There is only more OpFor there, and you'll just be surrounded and killed. When you run, you run back or sideways - never forwards.

As you run, you have to Dodge. Dodging shells is hands-down the most fun you'll have as a Scout, but it's kind of an art. Most tanks have a trade-off between speed and agilty - ie, if you're going flat out, you're not turning and if you're turning you're not going flat-out. So, the trick is to find a balance between speed and agility. It also helps to keep in mind at all times that if you've got that exclamation point on your screen then between one and fifteen guns are homing in on you right now. As you run, jink - quick little zig-zags that throw off the OpFor's aim. Do them often, but irregularly - if you run in long sweeps then some clever TD'er is going to lead you and stop you (like me - I can track a moving Luchs across Mali). The main, horrible way to get good at it is to practice and learn your limitations. Yes, this means getting killed a lot as part of the trial and error process, but if you limit your practice sessions to late enough in the battle that you don't matter anymore then you'll minimize the team-screwing. Once you get good at it, you, too, will be tearing across Mali midfield with shells raining down around you, the dismayed cries of your Team turning into begrudging admiration as you somehow, somehow, pull that off (my record is two full runs across the field, midway, from lake to lake, over 50% health. Challenge issued, my brothers and sisters).

Special note about running away - if there's a hill near you, run down it. Not only does it break LOS and give you cover, but you moooove going downhill. This is just ridiculous on Westfield - you power up to that snipers nest at the end of the bridge, sight the whole valley and once the OpFor base is clear you can get down there in seconds. Just remember to go down on an angle so you don't catch air on bumps.

Anyway, ideally, you'll be able to retreat back down your own line of approach and under the comforting guns of your Team, who will then lay waste to whatever was chasing you, but all you really need is to drop off of the OpFor's radar - even hiding behind a big rock while they blow the hell out of the other side of it for 10 seconds or so will do it - but be patient - wait for your team to take care of them. Once you've done that, you go back to the standard Scouting process (taking into account the fluid nature of a combat situation, of course - they're on to you now, and they know vaguely where you are - poke your nose out with caution).

Cover

A quick note on cover, which I won't go into too much due to several excellent threads already in place, the main thing to keep in mind if that if there is light shining anywhere on your hull, you are not in visual cover and if your hull is longer or taller than the rock you're behind, they can totally see you, dude - and German TD's are insanely accurate. Also, Cammo paint & Cammo nets are a must for hiding.

I think that about covers Basic Scouting. I didn't get too much into the specifics of each map, scenario, tank class, etc - I figured perhaps the various replies might get into that, as well as posting battle anecdotes around what has and has not worked for other Scouts. I know there are some incredible Light drivers and Scouts out there - way better than me, so I for one would be delighted to hear from them below.

Thanks for reading!  I look forward to sneaking up on your Arty soon!

I was wondering when you would post something like this.. Good job.  Nice read

Win8  2735.84  Win7 2184.11  EFF 1918.11  

Also tagged with Scouts, Scouting, Spotting, Stealth, Lights, Light, Dodging, Support

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users