How could Germany have won WWII?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

GroomingChief65 #101 Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10524 battles

View Postjanbonator, on 23 August 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

..and that's what they did. They call it the EU. The Fourth Reich.

Operation Sealion was never going to work. Surface fleet was too small, air superiority not complete, intelligence was not good and the time of the year was not correct. I guess they could've postponed it until 1942, but I don't think it would've changed much. It took the Allies years to invent and build up equipment for an amphibious invasion of such scale, and by the time they did they had total air and sea superiority. Meanwhile, the Red Army was deployed in a posture that looked more like an army ready for an offensive rather than defense in depth, which lead to massive encirclements when Barbarossa commenced. It would've taken a lot of guts just to leave them there and hope they don't get any ideas while Germany would be trying to invade Britain.

As for North Africa and the Middle-East, I'm not sure sending any more boots at the problem would've helped the Germans and Italians. The problem wasn't the troops or their quality, it was supply. The axis forces couldn't improve their supply situation without taking control of Malta and the Mediterranean at large, which they were not equipped to do. In hindsight, the whole North African expedition might have only hindered their war effort and could've tipped the scales in the battle for Moscow, for example - although overall I don't think it would've changed the outcome even if the Wehrmacht had captured Moscow. They'd just managed what Napoleon achieved earlier, i.e. nothing but bloodshed.

The biggest problem with operation sea lion was quite simply that Hitler really had no heart for it. He wanted nothing to do with obliterating those whom he considered to be of his own race. He decided instead to try to apply pressure with air power to bring about a peace agreement. It's ironic that someone known for pure brutality actually lost his chance to win the war by allowing the British to pick themselves up after Dunkirk.  Immediately after Dunkirk they literally had nothing for arms. We can talk about a navy all day long but if you ever landed any kind of force there at that point in time they had next to nothing.  I once saw an improvised armored vehicle they had with cinder blocks stacked up on it for armor in preparation for defense of an invasion.  

If you take the island nation, there is no possibility of a Normandy invasion, none of those 'fortress Europe' defenses Rommel was all caught up in etc, in short there would then be no concern over a possible Western front. Hitler could then unleash all of the divisions that were being held back when the invasion of Russia began.  Whether that would have turned the tide on the Eastern front I don't know. I happen to think it may well have been just enough but that's only personal opinion. 

IBROX 04 #102 Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20521 battles
  • [BNKR]

View Postmmurdock82abn, on 23 August 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Perhaps most of all though, instead of rounding up and sending millions upon millions of "undesirables" and sending them to death camps. Instead, welcoming and befriending them into military service with the Reich, things would have been very different. Millions upon millions of more troops to send at his foes.

This guy gets it. 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

NSW Mntd Rifles #103 Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:40 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38405 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 05 September 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

This guy gets it. 

He certainly doesn't "get" what the Third Reich was about.

IBROX 04 #104 Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 20521 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostNSW Mntd Rifles, on 13 October 2019 - 05:40 AM, said:

He certainly doesn't "get" what the Third Reich was about.

How could Germany have Won WW2... Doesn't matter if he doesn't get it or not. 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

TennisMan56 #105 Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31656 battles
  • [STDZ]
Holly crap quit coming up with ideas one could be right, Germany may have invented time travel. The may go forward in time find the answer, travel back in time and make it happen. :harp:

Huncho_Mystic #106 Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:41 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 11273 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostTennisMan56, on 14 October 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

Holly crap quit coming up with ideas one could be right, Germany may have invented time travel. The may go forward in time find the answer, travel back in time and make it happen. :harp:

LOL- Germany winning WW II would be bad, but maybe if they went back in time and the Central powers survived WWI, we might be better off?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users