scout passive scouting targeted detected help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Mikoru_Kiroga #1 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3442 battles
  • [OSR]

I am wondering if someone would be able to shed some light on a question that occurred to me regarding the "Targeted" mechanic.

I realize that the "targeted" mechanic works in that you receive the icon/notification when an enemy (excluding arty's tactical view) is looking directly at you. ie: when a player's name/tank appears.

This had me question however, what happens for people who play a passive scout. Will the enemy still receive the "targeted" notification if the scout happens or chooses to look directly at them even if they are hidden? And if that does occur, doesn't that mechanic/oversight ruin a persons ability to passively scout?

Any information regarding this would be appreciated as I could not find it out for myself.

Shere Khan 00 #2 Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:01 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7653 battles
  • [CRY]

If I am correct it does activate if the scout aims at them as it doesn't have any checks for tank class(Except arty I think), or whether or not the aimer is detected.

So yes, They still receive the warning.

t_wilson01 #3 Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:08 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13543 battles
  • [KJACK]
I'm wondering this myself. If you point your gun at the ground and move the camera around, would enemy players be "targeted"?

FusionStar287 #4 Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:13 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17585 battles
  • [JOCO]
Yes, an enemy will have "targeted" appear when a scout is looking at them, as with any tank and TD. This doesn't ruin passive scouting, though, as a passive scout can make sure to not be aiming at enemies, and if your team is shooting at a red then it they'll be targeted anyway.

In fact, you can use this mechanic against the enemy as a passive scout in some circumstances. For example, if you have an enemy spotted who is starting to reposition in order to fall back/support a flank, you can quickly aim at them to make them believe they're about to be hit, potentially holding them in position. Likewise, you can keep an enemy behind cover targeted for a while just to aim away, giving the red a false sense of security (especially if they don't have Sixth Sense) which can cause them to pill away from cover and be hit by your team.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

FusionStar287 #5 Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:15 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17585 battles
  • [JOCO]

View Postt_wilson01, on 01 August 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

I'm wondering this myself. If you point your gun at the ground and move the camera around, would enemy players be "targeted"?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that "targeted" only appears when your tank's actual gun is pointing in an enemy's direction, not the camera. 

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

greenteam117 #6 Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:54 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 19480 battles
  • [LEONI]
i have been shot before without getting the "Targeted" notification

"I do not need to fight him... I just need to kill him"-Nagisa Shiota                                                                                                       "Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves."-Abbess Helena

Hated Tanks!- IKV103 AND T-34-2      Do what makes you happy... or die trying.      "The only ones who should kill, are those prepared to be killed."- Lelouch Vi Britannia

Tanks Lines i Recommend for new Players 1.IS Line 2.KV Line 3.Maus Line 4.Japanese Super Heavy Line 5.US Heavy Line. "These heretics refute the Emperor's holy right to rule. Let them argue with the barrel of a gun."-Canoness Sabine

favorite tank(s) are : captured KV-1, Champion M10, Gorynych KV-5, bogatyr, churchill III, Glory is-5, IS-2, Kaiju, Edelweiss, Nameless, e-100, type 5 heavy, T-10, The Hidden, M4A1 Revalorise, Hammer, IS-3, Fatherland, GuP, Lycan, T26E4, Boilermaker,Pz. II J PS, Valentine II, Honor T-28E, ISU-130, WT Auf pz. IV, Lowe, British Bulldog, Pz. B2, Legion, Motherland, King Dragon, T28 Concept, M6A2E1, Skorpion G, Pz. 58 Mutz, Pz V/IV, Bizon T-103, PZ. 38H, Chi-Nu Kai, T-34-88, STG, WZ-120-1G FT, STRV 81, Tiger 131, King Tiger, Chi-Ri(and maybe some other tanks that are not coming to mind) i pretty much like all the tanks that i own (i find it fun to earn premium tanks).  Marks on Premium Tanks       even the most loved thing, if played too much. becomes the most hated thing in the world.  

bux1303 #7 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:02 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 7062 battles
  • [-H4-]
The character "targeted" should be removed. 
This makes the whole game too easy and only helps the players who are not thinking and the children. 
The sixth sense would be enough to see that you are sighted. After 10 seconds you are closed again. 
In the meantime you have to cover up. I would be that this is removed again.

Our sixth sense is starting early enough.

Sovietdeath #8 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:06 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 14971 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 01 August 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that "targeted" only appears when your tank's actual gun is pointing in an enemy's direction, not the camera. 

You are mistaken, it's whenever your camera is on an enemy tank to where thier name and information show up. This is what triggers targeted in all tanks except for Artillery when it is in overhead view.

It will trigger in Artillery if it is not in overhead view however

Sovietdeath #9 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:09 AM

Major

• 14971 battles

View Postgreenteam117, on 01 August 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

i have been shot before without getting the "Targeted" notification

This can occur a few different ways

if someone has you "Autolocked" but not looking at you to where your name shows

You are undetected "blind fire"

Artillery

Sovietdeath #10 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

Major

• 14971 battles

View Postt_wilson01, on 01 August 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

You can actually autolock on an enemy and fire upon them without targeting them as long as you don't put your camera on them so you see thier information

greenteam117 #11 Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 19480 battles
  • [LEONI]

View PostSovietdeath, on 02 August 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

This can occur a few different ways

if someone has you "Autolocked" but not looking at you to where your name shows

You are undetected "blind fire"

Artillery

oh, i did not know autolock can do that, good to know thank you!

"I do not need to fight him... I just need to kill him"-Nagisa Shiota                                                                                                       "Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves."-Abbess Helena

Hated Tanks!- IKV103 AND T-34-2      Do what makes you happy... or die trying.      "The only ones who should kill, are those prepared to be killed."- Lelouch Vi Britannia

Tanks Lines i Recommend for new Players 1.IS Line 2.KV Line 3.Maus Line 4.Japanese Super Heavy Line 5.US Heavy Line. "These heretics refute the Emperor's holy right to rule. Let them argue with the barrel of a gun."-Canoness Sabine

favorite tank(s) are : captured KV-1, Champion M10, Gorynych KV-5, bogatyr, churchill III, Glory is-5, IS-2, Kaiju, Edelweiss, Nameless, e-100, type 5 heavy, T-10, The Hidden, M4A1 Revalorise, Hammer, IS-3, Fatherland, GuP, Lycan, T26E4, Boilermaker,Pz. II J PS, Valentine II, Honor T-28E, ISU-130, WT Auf pz. IV, Lowe, British Bulldog, Pz. B2, Legion, Motherland, King Dragon, T28 Concept, M6A2E1, Skorpion G, Pz. 58 Mutz, Pz V/IV, Bizon T-103, PZ. 38H, Chi-Nu Kai, T-34-88, STG, WZ-120-1G FT, STRV 81, Tiger 131, King Tiger, Chi-Ri(and maybe some other tanks that are not coming to mind) i pretty much like all the tanks that i own (i find it fun to earn premium tanks).  Marks on Premium Tanks       even the most loved thing, if played too much. becomes the most hated thing in the world.  

t_wilson01 #12 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13543 battles
  • [KJACK]

View PostSovietdeath, on 02 August 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

You can actually autolock on an enemy and fire upon them without targeting them as long as you don't put your camera on them so you see thier information

Thanks for the info. That sounds interesting indeed.

Sovietdeath #13 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Major

• 14971 battles

View Postgreenteam117, on 02 August 2018 - 04:38 AM, said:

oh, i did not know autolock can do that, good to know thank you!

Mhmm something I tested out back when I did a few videos on the different Detected/Targeted mechanics

Xenith_Inc #14 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5677 battles
I like to point my gun at reds when it looks like they're about to get a side shot on my team. Kind of like suppressing fire without actually firing. It inhibits them and lowers DPM if they think they'll be shot.

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

My YouTube Channel

Pavo32 #15 Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9176 battles
  • [-1HQ-]

View Postt_wilson01, on 02 August 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

no- I do this when aiming down a distant target to get the circle smaller and once it's ready to pull the trigger only then do i target the tank.... gives them less than 1 second to move before the shell connects (beats sixth sense most of the time)

Mikoru_Kiroga #16 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3442 battles
  • [OSR]

It seems strange to me that one (your tank commander?) is able to tell when an enemy tank is looking at you even they (the player included) would not be able to see it.

Regardless, I appreciate all of the helpful information that everyone provided regarding this topic, as I will hopefully be able to utilize it in the future.

N333DL3 #17 Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30833 battles

I'm not real clear on how this works either.  I do know that sometimes when hiding in an autholoader light, I avoid pointing directly at a tank during my reload.  They seem to move when I point at them and I figure it might be their 6th sense going off.

Anyway I saw a video these guys put up where two friends went to the training arena to demonstrate 6th sense and designated target.  Someone more computer savvy might be able to post if for you.

Tempest fox3 #18 Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18284 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 02 August 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

It's triggered by the camera. If you look at a tank and their gamertag pops up you're giving them the !Targeted warning. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

Sovietdeath #19 Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:13 AM

Major

• 14971 battles

View PostN333DL3, on 02 August 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

I'm not real clear on how this works either.  I do know that sometimes when hiding in an autholoader light, I avoid pointing directly at a tank during my reload.  They seem to move when I point at them and I figure it might be their 6th sense going off.

Anyway I saw a video these guys put up where two friends went to the training arena to demonstrate 6th sense and designated target.  Someone more computer savvy might be able to post if for you.

Well here's my video footage & explanation of both the old Detected Mechanic & The Newer Targeted Mechanic

Just so people can see some examples from multiple perspectives post 4.2

I do apologize about my rambling and incorrect wording at times as i dont script my videos.

Added a small summary of both in this spoiler please refer to the video for Examples though.

Spoiler

I have since done a revised video here for update 4.2 when the Mechanic Changed

Sixth Sense has not changed

Detected now called "Targeted" works reguardless of your Turret Direction but now Artillery does not trigger It in strategic view

The post 4.2 (Targeted) Video

Old 3.5 (Detected) video kept for comparison

Also tagged with scout, passive scouting, targeted, detected, help

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users