Ammo Rack

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

DuceFoBlocC #1 Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 14254 battles
  • [REKKT]

Curious if anyone can explain mechanics of getting ammo racked, and I'm specifically looking to understand full health ammo racks, to better understand this part of the game. I started thinking about this recently after getting ammo racked in a full health, fully upgraded WZ-111 model 1-4 by a T110E4. Here's what happened, Tier X battle, spawned west, and heavy push through South middle, I was supporting Tier X heavies towards the rear keeping an eye on spotted tanks towards southeast/east b/c that's where we were going to go (we won south mid). Nothing had been spotted after we cleared area, as the TD's that had come to support enemies had been destroyed. I didn't receive a hit and eventually took the lead as we finished the push through south mid and I stopped at corner of building before moving to see if any proxy spot, but there wasn't so I proceeded straight into T110E4 outside of proxy area, but close enough to let one go right through my front side between tracks and yep full health ammo rack. 

So I'm just curious how that goes, meaning since we know that I was full health and since the T110E4's gun stats are known, what were the chances of a full health ammo rack (if direct hit in ammo rack area)? How is that determined? When I look at tanks.gg as far as I can tell the ammo rack on the WZ-111 model 1-4 has 210 health, but what does that even mean?  Anyone out there know how this works?  Thank you.

Edited by DuceFoBlocC, 03 August 2018 - 02:32 PM.

Vampire_Izumi-p #2 Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31891 battles
  • [VMPIR]

View PostDuceFoBlocC, on 03 August 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

Curious if anyone can explain mechanics of getting ammo racked, and I'm specifically looking to understand full health ammo racks, to better understand this part of the game. I started thinking about this recently after getting ammo racked in a full health, fully upgraded WZ-111 model 1-4 by a T110E4. Here's what happened, Tier X battle, spawned west, and heavy push through South middle, I was supporting Tier X heavies towards the rear keeping an eye on spotted tanks towards southeast/east b/c that's where we were going to go (we won south mid). Nothing had been spotted after we cleared area, as the TD's that had come to support enemies had been destroyed. I didn't receive a hit and eventually took the lead as we finished the push through south mid and I stopped at corner of building before moving to see if any proxy spot, but there wasn't so I proceeded straight into T110E4 outside of proxy area, but close enough to let one go right through my front side between tracks and yep full health ammo rack. 

So I'm just curious how that goes, meaning since we know that I was full health and since the T110E4's gun stats are known, what were the chances of a full health ammo rack (if direct hit in ammo rack area)? How is that determined? When I look at tanks.gg as far as I can tell the ammo rack on the WZ-111 model 1-4 has 210 health, but what does that even mean?  Anyone out there know how this works?  Thank you.

i am pretty sure, the lower the health of the ammo rack, the easier it is to detonate (and i mean max health) a bunch of chinese tanks have horrible ammo racks.

also, gun size effects ammo detonation too if i remember correctly.

Edited by greenteam117, 03 August 2018 - 02:48 PM.

A lie about a lie turns inside out upon itself. - Magane chikujoin   

Marks of Excellence: Tier V > Tier X in that order. 5678910

CattMeister #3 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:04 PM

Staff sergeant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 7262 battles

Most obviously there are module placements. Each module has it's own HP. Each gun has a different amount of module damage they do. And I think each type of ammo does a different amount of module damage, but I'm not sure on that one.

JelliedPenny08-x #4 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19628 battles
  • [6APC]

^^^ All the above is right. 

Shells do a specific amount of module damage and each tank has a module health for each module. When hit for less than the module total health it is damaged. Some tanks like I think the IS-7 have relatively low ammo rack health for some of the big shells they will come up against. So it depends on your tank and the shell that shoots you. 

When the health of the module is totally taken it is destroyed, in the case of the ammo rack it explodes and takes your tank and crew with it. You can also have problems with ammo racks next to engines or fuel tanks where one shot can damage the rack and the fueltank enough to start a fire that finishes the rack off. 

You're looking in the right place on Tanks.gg for module health and the specific shell module damage. I don't own either but think it's a Deathstar that can one shot ammo rack an IS amongst other tier tens. It's basically the perfect storm between thea shell and the victim. Safe stowage or wet ammo rack can help prevent it. 

I hope it helps.  :)

**Edit - sorry, should have mentioned that on console they are hidden stats, you have to go by PC figures generally to see how likely it is. Except for a very few examples though, I think it is a rare occurrence. 

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 03 August 2018 - 03:18 PM.

Vampire_Izumi-p #5 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31891 battles
  • [VMPIR]

i love my king dragon but it loves going kaboom...

i really need Safe Stowage.... 

Devilman05 #6 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30563 battles
  • [RABID]

I think i read somewhere that each shell has a critical damage chance as well.. 

So my understanding is a shot is fired at ammo rack, rng will determine if it will cause module hit damage then your shell damage verse module hit point's works out if you go pop or just have a slow reload..

I believe the shell type has a impact on that chance % 

John-berg1995-p #7 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13445 battles
  • [CIA]
all tank have a 'ammo rack module' it has hit points like your tanks health

When a shell strikes your ammo

It has a 27% chance to inflict damage.

Once the ammo rack health is at 0 you explode.

example

Is-7 has 210 ammo health

Death star AP has 240 module damage

If the death star rolls the 27% crit

The is-7s ammo is depleted thus full health ammo rack occurs

Tanks with smaller guns do less module damage

Light tanks can have as low as 100 module damage. Thus taking many many shots to kill,

Side note: module damage is RNG dependent. Like damage. it can range +-25%

Tanks.gg can help you identify your tanks module health of all modules. From ammo to fuel tanks. when you equip wet ammo rack and safe stowage you can increase your ammo health substantially.

JelliedPenny08-x #8 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19628 battles
  • [6APC]

The extra roll is called the saving throw. For an ammo rack it's 27% but presumably influenced by skills like Deadeye, Safe Stowage etc. 

Section 9 .:-  http://wiki.wargamin...and_Crew_Damage

Under damage mechanics look at module damage then the ammo rack bit. Shell type does influence it. In the Deathstar example I thought it was for AP rounds, but not sure. 

**Edit - lol, ninja'd!  :)

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 03 August 2018 - 03:37 PM.

BDaddy Cheno-x #9 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34088 battles
  • [SPSR]
I find that HESH tends to do a lot of damage to ammo racks......the turret....the engine....the cupholders....the fuzzy dice.....the hula girl on the package tray......:trollface:

Edited by BDaddy Cheno, 03 August 2018 - 03:46 PM.

"I'm going to deal with this the only way us Bundys know how----with swift and blinding violence." -----Kelly Bundy

Vampire_Izumi-p #10 Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31891 battles
  • [VMPIR]

one thing i did in my type 5 heavy that really surprised me was that i one shotted a Ru 251, but it was because i killed it's entire crew 1 shot.

i have been 1 shotted like this before in tanks with like 2 crew members.

just very interesting how i managed to kill all 4 crew members in a single shot

RU 251 was full health btw.

Edited by greenteam117, 03 August 2018 - 03:57 PM.

Devilman05 #11 Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30563 battles
  • [RABID]

Isnt high explosive king when it comes to module/crew damage?

I notice the same thing derping around in the Japanese heavy's you would always end up with a ton of module/crew damage

HEAT--54-p #12 Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13227 battles

View PostDevilman05, on 03 August 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Isnt high explosive king when it comes to module/crew damage?

I notice the same thing derping around in the Japanese heavy's you would always end up with a ton of module/crew damage

AP, APCR, and HEAT will roll against modules in a straight line after they pen and only a certain depth so it is really only 1 internal module/crew affected.

If HE or HESH pens, it detonates internally and rolls against all modules within it’s range in a sphere, which is usually a lotttttt more than in a line.  HE also rolls against modules in a cone on a non pen, making it even more annoying.

SaltyMcD-p #13 Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:03 PM

Major

• WoTC Community Ambassador
  • 24111 battles
  • [APEXP]
 Wouldn't it be cool if racks full of heat or he were more likely to blow up than a rack full of ap ?   

John-berg1995-p #14 Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 13445 battles
  • [CIA]

View PostSaltyMcD, on 03 August 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if racks full of heat or he were more likely to blow up than a rack full of ap ?   

No because the propellant is what is set off in the detonation. Both Ap and HEAT have the same propellant. Thus they both have equal chances to explode ? Tank shells have shell casings you know ...? Like rifles. They have long brass casings (during this time period at least) that are 3-4 times the length of the actual round. So it's more likely the casing is being detonated 

JelliedPenny08-x #15 Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19628 battles
  • [6APC]

View PostHEAT--54, on 03 August 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

AP, APCR, and HEAT will roll against modules in a straight line after they pen and only a certain depth so it is really only 1 internal module/crew affected.

If HE or HESH pens, it detonates internally and rolls against all modules within it’s range in a sphere, which is usually a lotttttt more than in a line.  HE also rolls against modules in a cone on a non pen, making it even more annoying.

Absolutely - This is why. +1

So HE often doesn't pen, but when it does it gets to go at everything within reach but gets the 10% base roll against each module. AP etc only get to play with the modules in their path according to the pen mechanics but get to have a higher base roll at 27% chance of taking them out.  

So things like KV-2 HE generally just eat the tank HP and do a bit of damage to a lot of modules. The tank dies from loss of HP , but is much less likely to blow the ammo rack or kill all the crew inside the tank that would otherwise have HP left. That CAN happen, but is less likely. Don't forget a lot of HE doesn't pen, but gets external modules (viewportsv , gun, tracks) but generally crew are behind the ports in the path of detonation cones. 

AP is more likely to destroy / kill a module or crewmember. But only one, occasionally a couple that are co-located. 

Also tagged with Ammo Rack

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users