Should we have Michael Wittmann represented in World of Tanks?

Poll Wittmann Michael Wittmann Tiger 1331 Citadel

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Michael Wittmann be represented in WoT? (74 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should Michael Wittmann be represented in World of Tanks?

1. Yes, because politics aside, he was one of the WW2 most decorated tank aces. (49 votes [66.22%])

Percentage of vote: 66.22%

2. No, because he was a member of SS and it would be a promotion of Nazism. (17 votes [22.97%])

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

3. Whatever, I don't really care. (8 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. I don't really know who is Michael Wittmann. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

Sgt Becket FEAR #41 Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostJope2209, on 18 August 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

That was actualy what I tried to ask in this poll. Can we acknowledge Wittmann, as the WW2 tank ace, OR do we have to identify him as a LSSAH officer and devoted Nazi.

We all play and love WoT (well most of us do), because of tanks. Personally I love historical tanks and no need to say that Tiger tanks are one of my favorites. Tigers are the best known tanks of the era and we can't have game about tanks without them. Question is, can we have historical commanders as well?

I do not think that it has a place here in this game.

I am incredibly passionate about Tigers. I love everything about them as a machine and its place in the history of armored warfare.

Again, I respect the tank ace side of him and, while I do not deny what the Nazis did, I believe that the dead deserve to rest in peace.

I am all for discussing history here on the forum or in conversation. However, the real human side of war has no place in the game itself.

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

JelliedPenny08 #42 Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16167 battles

Simple answer - No. 

Wittmann was represented and subsequently removed from the medal in game. WG have sidestepped this issue before and have done it again with the Citadel. You can drive his tank, or drive a cool cartoon tank. You can rename your crew to Mike Whitman and be happy with whichever perspective of history you like. 

WG will not sell you Wittmann's Tiger, with him as the commander. They were careful with the Hammer and 131 too. WG has to tread that culturally sensitive line regardless of individual perceptions, beliefs or ideologies. If they weren't working so hard to grab your cash they would have made HT6 dual nation with selectable camo skins. 

Although I may get the Citadel, I agree with Derpy on the whole  reskin thing. I like some of the reskins, but you should be able to get the different packages and cosmetics separately without them all being "new tanks". The 1331 should be removable / replaceable and let the customer with their views decide what they are driving when they play. 

Shadow Akula 96 #43 Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13234 battles
Nope. May have been a tank ace, may not have participated in killing innocents unlike the rest of the SS, but still SS.

Also with it being the era of the “Offended” I don’t think it’s a good idea, I see it being more trouble than good for the company and playerbase.

Pssst. I know who you are. Hail Sithis

YouTube channel: Shadow Akula 96

2nd YouTube channel coming soon: Shadow Drifters

My solo YT will cover various games maybe even some WoT

My other YT, a joint channel with a friend will mostly cover GTA stuff with a few other games here and there.

KanonFyodor #44 Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5063 battles

There was no option for "No, actual historical persons should not be represented as crew in WoT". Although I note it's always about Wittman this and Carius that, but never Lafayette Pool or Alfie Nicholls, or Konstantin Samokhin. Y'all need to check your Wehraboo fetish, your not a victim because WG won't let you play with nazis.

BDaddy Cheno #45 Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29820 battles
  • [SPSR]

View PostSGT Rock 1963, on 10 August 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Kurt Knispel was the top scoring ace in ww2, With 168 kills and 35 more unconfirmed. But wittmans 20+ kills in 15 minutes, Was his call to fame, Destroying the whole column to just drive casually away. Was 2 or 3 more allied light tanks hiding in town. Cant say I blamed them. On topic they weren't just german army officers. They were the worst SS commanders in the nazi army. Search Malady massacre during the dd invasion. With Panzer commander Piefer. Following SS orders of no prisoners. Which was standing orders for 90% of the captured territories, Civilian populations and that was if they complied.  But to hide it does nothing. To remember it should be taught, Not erased.

Excuse me, but perhaps that was the Malmedy massacre in the Battle of the Bulge?  (Operation Greif)

"I'm going to deal with this the only way us Bundys know how----with swift and blinding violence." -----Kelly Bundy

Funktastic Ed #46 Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

Aces are Lucky dudes, who never got bombed randomly, and never had engine issues right at the wrong moment etc...

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

Awitty M V P #47 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 1965 battles
You can list "war crimes" by every soldier/tanker alive/past. Who defines war crimes? The winning party? Lafayette G. Pool destroyed hundreds of Tanks/armored vehicles in two months yet he is not a monster. What makes Wittmann unique? Honestly curious did he just belong to the wrong side? What about Russian tankers in Berlin, or Seelow? What war crimes did they commit? Americans, Brits and French in the French/West German Countryside, are they innocent? No far from it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users