Academy Scout Scout Medal How to Hints and Tips

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

The Scout medal is another of an "obscure" to get medal; at least it is to me. I said that same thing about the Confederate Medal, didn't I?

Detecting 9 out of possibly 15 enemy vehicles in a winning battle present some obvious difficulty;

Either you really play for the medal, and that possibly result in jeopardizing your team's chances to win the battle, or, you play with the usual safeguards, and you may very well be going over hundreds or thousands of battle before getting one of these, if!

Admittedly luck plays a large part in it too, as ever.

This week-end, while playing for the 5x multiplier, I have twice detected 10 bandits, both times in lost battles.

My first attempt was a wilful one. I simply went behind the enemy lines, and had time to detect them before they put me to sleep, with hard consequences for my team, since the only other light tank was also quickly disposed off, leaving the TD's without eyes.

My second fulfillment of the Scout Medal prerogative was a casual one. I was in a Lycan, and I simply happened onto an enemy team that had decided to attack from one flank, and one flank only.

After these two early happenings, I did not detect more than seven or less per battle.

To respect the team I am supporting, I check first the number of lights on both sides. If the red have lights in platoon, then I abandon any attempt to push for a Scout Medal. I hope for the best, but I play conservatively, since the lights are the eyes of the backline, and without them, you have seriously impaired your team's winning chances.

That about sums it up. Some of you may have already guessed that I am at Stage 6 of the Tusk contract. That medal that I need, will have to be won with the AMX 13-90 or the AMX 13-105; I have the Bat-Chat 25t AP, but I do not think it is a contending vehicle for a Scout medal.

The AMX 13-90 with the 75mm gun package has (at least on paper) a little better mobility; also, I have failed to notice it myself, have you?

The AMX 13-105 has better mobility than the 13-90.

I decided the AMX 13-90 90mm gun package is the tank of choice for the Scout Medal in this Tusk contract context.

In a different thread, one player advertised he had already had several Scout medals over these past days. Did not specify Tier and tank, which plays a big part in chasing a Scout medal.

If there is anything you could offer in terms of advice, please go ahead... I have done the usual preparation, watching YouTube, reading topics, and so on....

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

MASHMAN 90 #2 Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 33731 battles

Have to try and get lucky :)

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/ 

Disclaimer Below: If you don't read it and take my guesses as fact then it's not my fault.

Very Classy #3 Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27343 battles
  • [JOCO]

Widepark is super easy if you are fast enough. I found for getting a high tier one Siegfried Line is fairly easy if you are the lone scout and your team doesn't push field. Scoot down the one line then cut across the OpFor's side of the center building. Keep the outer buildings between you and their spawn, though. Then hightail it through the city gates across the field... and run away.

Of course, I am not the Scouting Authority. I only have 114 Scout Medals... but when I needed one for a Mercenaries contract, I used the Snakebite.

Capn Ratchet45 #4 Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19661 battles
get greedy...make sure you have decent crew with bia...sit aware...recon...equip lycan with vents...optics and vert stabs...run cola and high octane...yup...greedy p2w setup...be aggressive...good maps  to scout...sand river...fisherman bay...prokhorovka...Siegfried line or Westfield...be aggressive...push as far as possible and be ready to whip it around and run for your life! it may cost you a bit of silver but the option is shelling out 200 bucks for an overpriced derp tank lol...good luck...had a nice scout medal on sand river last night detecting 8 on the first scout run early on the ridge in the north...then ended up with an extra 5 by the end of the game for s total of 13 detected...going to have to be aggressive or it will take forever!!! didn't think the lycan would qualify for this op requirement (tier 9 or 10 only I thought? make sure you are playing a tank that qualifies for the op!!!!!)

P6X330 #5 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostMASHMAN 90, on 13 August 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Have to try and get lucky :)

Agreed! good casual drive and shoot though! because while spotting you contributed a lot to the ultimate outcome of the battle...

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

MASHMAN 90 #6 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 33731 battles

View PostP6X330, on 13 August 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Agreed! good casual drive and shoot though! because while spotting you contributed a lot to the ultimate outcome of the battle...

First thing i do is yolo, hope i spot 9 without being killed then get out of there, then contribute to the battle. If you die, hope your team carries.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/ 

Disclaimer Below: If you don't read it and take my guesses as fact then it's not my fault.

P6X330 #7 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostVery Classy, on 13 August 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Widepark is super easy if you are fast enough. I found for getting a high tier one Siegfried Line is fairly easy if you are the lone scout and your team doesn't push field. Scoot down the one line then cut across the OpFor's side of the center building. Keep the outer buildings between you and their spawn, though. Then hightail it through the city gates across the field... and run away.

Of course, I am not the Scouting Authority. I only have 114 Scout Medals... but when I needed one for a Mercenaries contract, I used the Snakebite.

Widepark is out of bounds to Tier IX tanks, I think.

I had several games on Siegfried Line, but did not get much in terms of spotting, because the field is usually the land of the lights, both sides, and to spot the backline enemies, you need to push past the middle Siegried Line. But I keep trying anyway...

wow, 114 Scout medals? I think I have a total of 6 in 10K games....

For the Tusk, you are limited to Tier IX and X French or US tanks. I have no US tank, so I am confined to the 13-90 and/or 13-105.

P6X330 #8 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostCapn Ratchet45, on 13 August 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

get greedy...make sure you have decent crew with bia...sit aware...recon...equip lycan with vents...optics and vert stabs...run cola and high octane...yup...greedy p2w setup...be aggressive...good maps  to scout...sand river...fisherman bay...prokhorovka...Siegfried line or Westfield...be aggressive...push as far as possible and be ready to whip it around and run for your life! it may cost you a bit of silver but the option is shelling out 200 bucks for an overpriced derp tank lol...good luck...had a nice scout medal on sand river last night detecting 8 on the first scout run early on the ridge in the north...then ended up with an extra 5 by the end of the game for s total of 13 detected...going to have to be aggressive or it will take forever!!! didn't think the lycan would qualify for this op requirement (tier 9 or 10 only I thought? make sure you are playing a tank that qualifies for the op!!!!!)

I have more perks/skills on the 13-90, because I had that tank before the 4.2 release, before it was bumped to Tier IX and replaced by the Bat-Chat 12t in Tier VIII. And I do have Situational Awareness and Reconnaissance.

Unfortunately, the Lycan is not admissible for the Tusk contract, you are correct...

I am not planning to buy out the contract, whatever happens. Even if I am getting towards the dead line finish without succeeding, I will not. Just a question of being able to get it on my own, without any help of any kind.

I realize I need to be aggressive. Remember the 13-90 is not the fastest light there is at Tier IX.... and sometimes there are a lot of competition, because detection also means assisted damage...

This morning, I was in a battle on Swamps, with 3 other lights.

We were on the South spawn at the start of the game, the other three lights went immediately East, so I chose to go West, and detected 6 bandits. After the situation clarified, I went behind and detected their artillery for a total of 7. All the other tanks had already been spotted.

But that has been the only battle I have played today, so far.

Saerbhreathach #9 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21887 battles

If you know where to go and get lucky with a red team lemming train it can be obtained. Or work both "ends" of the front line early spotting groups of advancing reds. Or find a good hidey hole/bush close to known camping zones and enjoy the show. The hard part is winning the match, with a mixture of passive/active scouting you can get both a scout medal and have a positive effect on the match to ensure a win so you DO earn the medal. Obviously, a little luck is as well needed, MM RNG never guarantees a solid team every match....

Or.....and I don't advocate this one, or advise it's use.....yolo straight into red team as soon as the counter hits zero. You'll most certainly die....and you're utterly dependent on your team to pull off a win...

The hard scout orientated medal to get would be the Patrol Duty medal. It's far harder to get that one as a scout than it is to get a Scout medal. ;)

P6X330 #10 Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 13 August 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

Or.....and I don't advocate this one, or advise it's use.....yolo straight into red team as soon as the counter hits zero. You'll most certainly die....and you're utterly dependent on your team to pull off a win...

The hard scout orientated medal to get would be the Patrol Duty medal. It's far harder to get that one as a scout than it is to get a Scout medal. ;)

I usually curb my yolo instincts, because it would be unfair to the team that I simply do my own thing, selfishly. I am disappointed with those other players that do it, so I try to stay true to my beliefs. I am your typical team player.

The Patrol Duty medal, I have not gotten even one after nearly 10K games. So I figured it was not an easy one, although, to me, they all are difficult to get... lol...

Saerbhreathach #11 Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21887 battles

View PostP6X330, on 13 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

I usually curb my yolo instincts, because it would be unfair to the team that I simply do my own thing, selfishly. I am disappointed with those other players that do it, so I try to stay true to my beliefs. I am your typical team player.

The Patrol Duty medal, I have not gotten even one after nearly 10K games. So I figured it was not an easy one, although, to me, they all are difficult to get... lol...

No worries, as you become more comfortable with the maps and where to go as a scout and what to do it gets easier. Still not an easy task mind you, not downplaying the scout role, by no means.

The Turkey Tank has a scout guide over in general discussion, go have a read and watch a bunch of his video. He is the scout Guru afterall.... ;)

I can as well offer pointers if you like, I'm a better passive scout than an active scout. Turkey rules the active side of things. But passive scouting....I'm yer guy....I can passive scout in just about anything. Got called a hacker many a time for bagging 4k+ spotting assist in my E-75....lol. :teethhappy:

But I highly recommend reading Turkey's thread, LOTS of really good scout information to be had. ;)

P6X330 #12 Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 13 August 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

No worries, as you become more comfortable with the maps and where to go as a scout and what to do it gets easier. Still not an easy task mind you, not downplaying the scout role, by no means.

The Turkey Tank has a scout guide over in general discussion, go have a read and watch a bunch of his video. He is the scout Guru afterall.... ;)

I can as well offer pointers if you like, I'm a better passive scout than an active scout. Turkey rules the active side of things. But passive scouting....I'm yer guy....I can passive scout in just about anything. Got called a hacker many a time for bagging 4k+ spotting assist in my E-75....lol. :teethhappy:

But I highly recommend reading Turkey's thread, LOTS of really good scout information to be had. ;)

TTT was one of my early mentor; however, he has a natural ability to read the battle and act accordingly to make the best of every opportunity.

Sadly, I am the kind of guy that always find what he should have done, only AFTER the battle... :-( I have been in some situations where I could have really had an epic win, being the last man standing in my light tank. Unfortunately, my lack of clairvoyance always denied me that satisfaction.

I will keep trying though.... :-)

Saerbhreathach #13 Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21887 battles

View PostP6X330, on 13 August 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

TTT was one of my early mentor; however, he has a natural ability to read the battle and act accordingly to make the best of every opportunity.

Sadly, I am the kind of guy that always find what he should have done, only AFTER the battle... :-( I have been in some situations where I could have really had an epic win, being the last man standing in my light tank. Unfortunately, my lack of clairvoyance always denied me that satisfaction.

I will keep trying though.... :-)

Keep practicing and don't beat yourself up too much. The scout class is THE HARDEST class to do consistently well. The smallest of mistakes can cost your dearly, especially at the higher tiers where there's all kinds of things that just have to sneeze on you to kill ya.

Start small, don't try and cover the entire map. Pick a group of tanks and support them/spot for them while you learn how to read the flow of battle. :)

Proflex08 #14 Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:38 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15872 battles
  • [PAC]

Got a scout medal today on Westfield today in the AMX 13 75. Managed over 1k damage, over 2k spotting(found a spotter medal at the bottom of the cracker jack box too) as well as seeing the end of the battle alive.

While it takes some luck to spot 9 tanks, it's not hard to be an effective scout in a match. It can be in any tank, obviously some are better than others. 

Need help? Try Wot help. By players for players. 

http://forum-console...estions-thread/

"never interrupt the enemy while they are making a mistake, that would be rude","If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid " the Mighty Jingles. 

P6X330 #15 Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:27 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13121 battles
  • [AMXS]

Got it in my AMX 13-105 on Caen tonight, after about 4 attempts.

I went behind the ridge which is between 7 and 8 on the Northern East side of the map. Almost all of the enemy team was progressing there, and I lit them all up, 10 of them!

In all my 3 previous games, I detected a steady 3 to 7 enemies, so I got the hang of it.

Still, overextending often leads to premature departing, especially if you are the lone target the enemy can focus upon.

Edited by P6X330, 14 August 2018 - 02:29 AM.

King North TX #16 Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38643 battles
  • [KTX_T]

*Let me save you the trouble.*

THREADS DELETED AGAIN

Edited by King North TX, 15 August 2018 - 02:01 PM.

Proflex08 #17 Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15872 battles
  • [PAC]

View PostKing North TX, on 14 August 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

1757...and counting...in my best Light tank, I can land one every 5 games.

Rule 1- NO crossfire, stay out of their middle.

Rule 2- NO straight lines, wiggle your tailpipes.

Rule 3- Don't tussle too early.

I run Coated Optics, Springs, and CO2 on the gas tanks.  Large repair kit, small kit, and usually auto fire extinguisher.

*REPAIR YOUR TRACKS, if they are damaged.  If not you'll get tracked and dead sooner.

Almost everything you said is wrong, except for the amount of scout medals you have, and even then you've only gotten just over 650 of them above tier 5. You have 532 in you luchs in 4810 games, definition of seal clubbing. You are not in a position to tell anyone how to play a scout effectively.

However, if you or anyone else is willing to learn more about the game, there are people on here who are willing to help. Look for forumers with the WOTHP clan tag, or go to the WOTHELP threads, found in the Newcomer section or clan recruitment section at the moment.

Edit: King, I'm going to break it down so that the op can understand where your wrong. 

First, your "rules" 

1. It's map dependant. The middle is the most effective place to spot from simply because it's the most view range you can put on a map. Any open map like Prokohorovka, Murovanka, and the like. If you are staying to the sides of the map, you are cutting your effective view rang in half.

2. That applies to any tank, but isn't necessary. Understanding how to work ridge lines, you can run straight lines all day along and never get it.

3. That is dependent on the situation. I'm not about to let an over extended light tank get away with his mistake. Also, providing you can get into effective cover or abuse a ridge line, there is absolutely no reason to not engage the enemy.

Springs are not as useful as other equipment like optics, vents, and vertical stabilizer. Co2 is essentially useless. You can run skills that offer the same effect and use the slot for something else.

Fixing your tracks when they are damaged (orange) and not broken(red) is a waste of a repair kit. Yes, you won't be as fast, but if you get ammo racked, or tracked out in the open after blowing the repair kit, your looking for a new tank to play in the next game.

Also  despite your claim, you are not landing a scout medal every 5 games. You recent stats prove otherwise. 

"never interrupt the enemy while they are making a mistake, that would be rude","If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid " the Mighty Jingles. 

mockney_piers #18 Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9087 battles
  • [FILTH]
ahh, let it lie, we've already lost one thread today :)

Proflex08 #19 Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15872 battles
  • [PAC]

To the OP, scout medals are effectively useless on their own, it's like invader medals for collecting 80 cap points.

Spotting 9 reds is a good thing, but not if you spot them to get the medal and run away or die immediately after spotting like some.

Lighting up 9 tanks isn't particularly hard to do, the hard part is doing it when your team can take advantage of your vision, and staying alive long enough to see those reds take significant damage. An effective scout will usually get more spotter medals because they are for doing +1000 damage in spotting assist.

An effective scout stays alive for as long as possible, extending vision to the final phase of the game. When tanks are isolated, they try to remove them from the game, they go after arty when the opportunity presents itself, they harass already engaged tanks to either get them to turn towards flanking fire, or outright destroy them.

Scout medals are a by-product of effective scout game play, not the reason. 

TocFanKe4 #20 Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19840 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View PostKing North TX, on 14 August 2018 - 04:50 AM, said:

1757...and counting...in my best Light tank, I can land one every 5 games.

Rule 1- NO crossfire, stay out of their middle.

Rule 2- NO straight lines, wiggle your tailpipes.

Rule 3- Don't tussle too early.

I run Coated Optics, Springs, and CO2 on the gas tanks.  Large repair kit, small kit, and usually auto fire extinguisher.

*REPAIR YOUR TRACKS, if they are damaged.  If not you'll get tracked and dead sooner.

Scout medals are useless if you're not getting assist damage. 

I'm not Camping, I'm Glamping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users