Things I have learned (that I wish I had known) UPDATE 4

tank tink tonk

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

loki131313 #1 Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18139 battles

Hola! Fourth Time Through on my Updated List!  Placed text in (spoiler) boxes for easier reading.

Thought I would post some general thoughts that I thought might be helpful to people, collecting some of my general observations from the game. This is an update and expansion on my prior thoughts. Hopefully, some of these help out at least a few people that are new to the game, as they reflect my slow learning curve.

1. Ops Matter.

If you're reading this, you're on the forums, and you're probably like, DUH! But I didn't know that for the first month that I played, because I'm stupid. From the big (free premiums tanks, free premium time) to the small (I have more fire extinguishers than an arsonist's nightmare), you should be regularly completing the ops. Always have the maximum number of Ops selected. Remember - A.B.C. Always Be Completing (Ops).

Now, if you are really, really new to this, you might have other questions- what ops should I be completing? And the answer? Well, it depends. It depends on what you want, your skill level, and what tanks you are grinding. For example, you might want to use ops that grant XP bonuses (either a percentage or a flat amount) when you're grinding a line, and ops that grant money bonuses when you're crew training in a premium. But the main thing is that you always have as many ops as possible selected, because they're freebies. And we all like freebies!

Also? If you're a grinder, always complete your daily doubles. Fastest way to grind. 

2. Play an arty line. 

Just one. I've learned more about how to avoid enemy arty, where they camp, how to destroy them, and how to be a better player in general by playing arty than anything else. Getting a bird's eye view of tactics and how other people are playing (on your team, on the other team) should teach you to be a better player. Even if you hate arty, this is worth doing. This isn't about being so-called "arty safe," but IMO whether you like arty or not, you need to understand how they think.

And a note about the whole "arty safe" thing. There is no such thing as playing in a way that you will never get hit by arty, ever. Just like you can't play "TD safe" or "Light Tank safe." Think of it this way- the red arty is the bear that is chasing you and all the other green tanks. Playing arty safe doesn't mean you outrun the bear- it just means you are running faster than all of your green teammates. You learn how to be a less attractive target for artillery.

3. Match making matters. 

This took me at least three months (I mentioned I am slow on the uptake). Whenever the game opens, look at the map. Now, look at all the tanks listed- are you top tier? Bottom tier? In the middle? This makes a difference. You will need to adjust your tactics if you are the top, or the bottom, tier. The same tank you used that stomped in the last battle because it was top tier will need to be a support tank if its two tiers down. This is something that probably needs to be emphasized better to newer players, as it generates a lot of that "uneven" feeling, especially with certain tanks. All aspects of your performance are likely to change- if you're a top tier heavy, for example, you are likely to bounce a lot of shells from equal and lower-tier reds. If you're a bottom tier heavy, on the other hand ... your armor will not be nearly as effective when facing guns that are two tiers above you.  

4. Individual tanks matter, a lot.

It's not enough to say that you're playing a "light," a "medium," or a "heavy." Different tanks have different strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes, these can vary a great deal even when you're advancing down a line - the French tanks can produce whiplash just by going from the AMX 40 (the slow duck) to the ELC (super fast jouster) to the AMX 12t (autoloading weirdo). Learn what your tank does well, and what it doesn't. There's resources and stuff for that. And if you don't want to deal- just play the American lines. They are decent at everything.

However, please note that a lot of the best guides on the web for WOT concentrate on the PC version of the game- they are great places to start your research, but the console versions of some tanks are different from the PC version.

4a. Learn your tank's armor and gun depression

You can check out the armor in the viewer in your garage, or go on-line. This will impact your tactics (hull down, sidescraping, etc.). Gun depression matters for being able to shoot up and down, using ridges, etc.

4b. Seriously, different tanks play differently. The AMX 12t is a light tank, but is a terrible active scout (better as  passive scout/late battle mop up & flank support), as is the Duck (better at ... um ... telling your friends you killed them with the Duck?). The ELC is also a light tank, but is closer to a super fast TD than a traditional light. Change your tactics based on your tank.

4c. Play the tanks that you like. So some people just grind line after line (I'll raise my hand sheepishly to that), but if you find a tank you really like, you can GIT GUD in that tank. Different tanks have different ways that they can excel, and it's only by playing it over and over and over again that you'll really learn how to play that tank right. 

5. A trained crew matters. 

And stock tanks always suck. I'm a grinder. So I go from one tank to the next, going upwards. And every time I move up, I'm terrible ... um, well, terribler. And again, this is something that should have been obvious from the get-go, but wasn't. Having a 100% trained crew is really, really good. And most of the stock configurations of the tanks (for newbies, that means before you upgrade) are terrible.

5a. Every time you move up a tank, you'll suck again. This means that, for the vast majority of us that are moving to a new tank with a 50% (UGH! DO NOT DO!!!) or 75% crew, the new tank you get will play SO MUCH WORSE than the tank you just had. Your crew will be terrible, and the stock tank will often have terrible equipment, often equipment that is below the tier of what you just moved from. This took me ... oh, six months to figure out? And numerous posts of, "Why is this tank (that I haven't upgraded yet) suck so hard?" Don't do that. If you start with a stock tank, IT WILL SUCK, and will likely feel much worse than the tank you just "upgraded" from.

5b. You can avoid this, if you want.  Ask around- there are techniques like "overtraining" (continue in a tank after it's been fully upgraded for a while before transferring the crew) and/or crew training in premiums and/or using free XP so you don't have to grind stock. Depending on your tolerance level, feel free to research and use these techniques.

6. Choose upgrades wisely.

People have different preferences. Unlike the PC version, we don't get to mix and match modules. You might have a preference for a high damage, long reload gun. Or perhaps you prefer a quick reload, but lower pen. Don't assume the last upgrade on the tech tree is the "best" one. Usually, it is ... but not always. 

If you don't know, just google the tank and the configurations, or even google something like, "World of tanks which gun is best on {Tank X}" and you're sure to find a debate on the pros and cons. 

7. Be nice.

Why isn't the person responding to your chat? Perhaps they have it turned off, like I did, after one too many ... interesting things carried over the TV when young ones were around. Why is the person playing so poorly? Perhaps because it's a shared account, and ROMMELKILLURTANKZ who usually pwns everyone and is unicum shares their account with their 9 year old, who loves to YOLO. Why aren't they moving for the first minute? Maybe they had to use the bathroom. Why is that player spinning in circles instead of helping you? It could be a lag demon. In short, who knows? The point is- it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Assume the best of your fellow tankers, even if they don't always deserve it.

Besides, if you are really all that, then you should be thankful for the bad players. After all, you get to blow them up! 

Finally, there's the question that comes up. What do you do if someone is trolling you? First, if you have to ask yourself if someone is trolling you ... they aren't. People make mistakes, and you will get accidentally bumped, jostled, and even rammed. There are all sorts of different skill levels in the game. But if you're being trolled in-game report it to WG as physics abuse. Make sure at the end of the match to create a video of the whole match- they will want evidence, and not just a selected portion, the WHOLE MATCH.

8. Pay attention to the big picture. 

Either switch your view (you can do this!) to the full map in your regular view (the minimap), or regularly take a peek at the map. Where are your tanks? Where are the enemy tanks? Where is your arty? Do you have strength in numbers on the flanks? Are there any undefended corridors? Are you about to lose because most of your force is tied up assaulting one well-defended flank while your other flank is completely collapsing? Use the map to change your tactics. But while doing this, be aware of what tank you are in. If you playing a Kaiju or a Tortoise, it is going to be very hard to re-commit; you're just not going to get there. If you playing the ELC-bis, then you will probably be on the other side of the map before you realized that you touched the stick.

9. Skills and Equipment matters.

I spent a long time thinking that those little +5% bonuses and whatever were meaningless. I was wrong. They do matter. Look, even if you're a poor grinder, look into getting camouflage nets, binocs, and/or a toolbox (because you can remove/sell them and buy them back on the next vehicle). And skills for your crew really do matter. There's a long debate about mentor - search it out and form your own opinion. But once I had a number of skills on my crews (especially sixth sense) it made a noticeable difference. There are guides for all of this- find out what works for you, your tanks, and your style of play! See if you want to invest in camo skills, or shooting skills, or mobility skills, or vision skills, on nunchuck skills, or "the usual" (Sixth Sense, BIA, Repairs, etc.).

9a. Sixth sense. I didn't understand this because of the whole "detected" thing. But once you play with it, you get it. Heck, once you play with it, you immediately see which Reds have it, and which ones don't. It's a total crutch, but will increase your survival rate if you use it well.

9b. Seriously, get Sixth Sense. It's more than just the default. If you aren't playing with it, you aren't playing well. I originally wrote this before the great update that added the alert for targeted, but it is still true. The tank I had without sixth sense could not rely on just targeted.                                

10. Ammo matters. 

Seek out guides and learn what the differences are between the various ammo types. Find out how to switch your screen so you are paying for premium ammo (also called prammo) with silver and not gold. IMO, you can get to mediocre/decent with just standard ammo. But (and this varies from tank to tank) the difference between mediocre/good and awesome/amazing is knowing when to deploy the right ammunition. Or, in the alternative, just waste a lot of money and spam prammo.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Either way, learn what they do.

I know that all of these are basic things that are pointed out regularly, but I thought I would put them together here since these are the basic points that took me a while to understand while playing. Good tanking!

XuamerP #2 Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33830 battles
Enjoyed reading though this!  Would have been nice to ready during my first two years.  My boys gave me their old 360 and bought me the game. This is my first and only video game and I was a much slower learner than most!  Almost two years before I found out about the forums, videos, stat sheets etc..  I was reading another form about a year ago and finally learned about how to switching to silver instead of gold.  More articles like this are needed from time to time just in case a newbie might be reading and before their stats are so bad that they will never recover. :arta:

SGT Rock 1963 #3 Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12481 battles
  • [JOCO]
+1 OP, Good points for beginners and casuals alike. You forgot to mention, Sniper view in aiming mode ,"Zoom",  Auto-lock on , Stabilizer asst on,  and Aim assist off. And why their on and off. Also 5a. It pays to overtrain your crews. So they start 100%, When you re-assign them.

Haukkis #4 Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 28854 battles

View PostSGT Rock 1963, on 13 August 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

+1 OP, Good points for beginners and casuals alike. You forgot to mention, Sniper view in aiming mode ,"Zoom",  Auto-lock on , Stabilizer asst on,  and Aim assisst off. And why their on and off.

Aim Assist off? That's a bad advice. Maeby you prefer to turn it off but most people don't wanna or just can't play without it. I tried few games without aim assist and I sucked. Had to turn it on.

SGT Rock 1963 #5 Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12481 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostHaukkis, on 13 August 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

Aim Assist off? That's a bad advice. Maeby you prefer to turn it off but most people don't wanna or just can't play without it. I tried few games without aim assist and I sucked. Had to turn it on.

Turn it off.  It may work in your case. Fact is it is constantly trying to aim center mass, Causing late or early shots. Misses. Whether the target moves into cover or not. You want auto-lock on, For the cicle of death battles. Or just firing on the move in general. Aim assist is bad. Especially if the reds are together. Will cause alot of misses and bounces. Turn it off.  Ps Most players agree with my statement. That part of yours is also false.

Bashful #6 Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 24229 battles
  • [47R]

View Postloki131313, on 13 August 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

Either switch your view (you can do this!) to the full map in your regular view (the minimap), or regularly take a peek at the map. Where are your tanks? Where are the enemy tanks? Where is your arty? Do you have strength in numbers on the flanks? Are there any undefended corridors? Are you about to lose because most of your force is tied up assaulting one well-defended flank while your other flank is completely collapsing? Use the map to change your tactics. But while doing this, be aware of what tank you are in. If you playing a Kaiju or a Tortoise, it is going to be very hard to re-commit; you're just not going to get there. If you playing the ELC-bis, then you will probably be on the other side of the map before you realized that you touched the stick.

I don't understand how anyone can play without the square mini-map as their starting mini-map. It should be the default, and sure, you can switch to the in-close one if you really need to, but always have the square on up so that you can see the big picture.

It's even more important to use it if you are in a slow tank because it tells you if you should stop committing to your current path and instead re-focus your attention somewhere else. You're in a slow tank and heading one way, but looking at the square map shows that you are the only one going that way should be the sign that you reconsider your decision and come up with a plan B.

SKYNET T92 #7 Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 32274 battles
  • [MYST]

View PostSGT Rock 1963, on 13 August 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

Your wrong sorry, Turn it off. It constantly tries to aim center mass, Causing late or early shots. Misses. Whether the target moves into cover or not. You want auto-lock on, For the cicle of death battles. Or just firing on the move in general. Aim assisst is bad. Turn it off. Your info is wrong. Ps Most players agree with my statement. That part of yours is also false.

This**,  nothing is more annoying than trying to lane a shot so that you fire when the target pokes out just to have your aim assist drag your reticle when they do. Or maybe your trying to hit a target among 3 or 4 other tanks and every time one of them moves its dragging your reticle back and fourth. aim assist is the cancer of every game its used in.

Fishfood50 #8 Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 702 battles

Good advice, but I'll forget to do most of it as usual. 

11' Don't get angry with your team and go YOLO

Now if I could just do that I'd play so much better

Pit Friend #9 Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29356 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostHaukkis, on 13 August 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Using it makes it pretty much impossible to aim at weak spots consistently as all Aim Assist does is move the targeting cursor to center mass on the target.  Quite honestly it serves no useful purpose that I can see. 

I hope to one day be wealthy enough to be considered eccentric rather than just plain nuts.  

RaiBOT01 #10 Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

(Cat) Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 2436 battles
  • [WGW]

View Postloki131313, on 13 August 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hola! Fourth Time Through on my Updated List!  Placed text in (spoiler) boxes for easier reading.

Thought I would post some general thoughts that I thought might be helpful to people, collecting some of my general observations from the game. This is an update and expansion on my prior thoughts. Hopefully, some of these help out at least a few people that are new to the game, as they reflect my slow learning curve.

1. Ops Matter.

If you're reading this, you're on the forums, and you're probably like, DUH! But I didn't know that for the first month that I played, because I'm stupid. From the big (free premiums tanks, free premium time) to the small (I have more fire extinguishers than an arsonist's nightmare), you should be regularly completing the ops. Always have the maximum number of Ops selected. Remember - A.B.C. Always Be Completing (Ops).

Now, if you are really, really new to this, you might have other questions- what ops should I be completing? And the answer? Well, it depends. It depends on what you want, your skill level, and what tanks you are grinding. For example, you might want to use ops that grant XP bonuses (either a percentage or a flat amount) when you're grinding a line, and ops that grant money bonuses when you're crew training in a premium. But the main thing is that you always have as many ops as possible selected, because they're freebies. And we all like freebies!

Also? If you're a grinder, always complete your daily doubles. Fastest way to grind. 

2. Play an arty line. 

Just one. I've learned more about how to avoid enemy arty, where they camp, how to destroy them, and how to be a better player in general by playing arty than anything else. Getting a bird's eye view of tactics and how other people are playing (on your team, on the other team) should teach you to be a better player. Even if you hate arty, this is worth doing. This isn't about being so-called "arty safe," but IMO whether you like arty or not, you need to understand how they think.

And a note about the whole "arty safe" thing. There is no such thing as playing in a way that you will never get hit by arty, ever. Just like you can't play "TD safe" or "Light Tank safe." Think of it this way- the red arty is the bear that is chasing you and all the other green tanks. Playing arty safe doesn't mean you outrun the bear- it just means you are running faster than all of your green teammates. You learn how to be a less attractive target for artillery.

3. Match making matters. 

This took me at least three months (I mentioned I am slow on the uptake). Whenever the game opens, look at the map. Now, look at all the tanks listed- are you top tier? Bottom tier? In the middle? This makes a difference. You will need to adjust your tactics if you are the top, or the bottom, tier. The same tank you used that stomped in the last battle because it was top tier will need to be a support tank if its two tiers down. This is something that probably needs to be emphasized better to newer players, as it generates a lot of that "uneven" feeling, especially with certain tanks. All aspects of your performance are likely to change- if you're a top tier heavy, for example, you are likely to bounce a lot of shells from equal and lower-tier reds. If you're a bottom tier heavy, on the other hand ... your armor will not be nearly as effective when facing guns that are two tiers above you.  

4. Individual tanks matter, a lot.

It's not enough to say that you're playing a "light," a "medium," or a "heavy." Different tanks have different strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes, these can vary a great deal even when you're advancing down a line - the French tanks can produce whiplash just by going from the AMX 40 (the slow duck) to the ELC (super fast jouster) to the AMX 12t (autoloading weirdo). Learn what your tank does well, and what it doesn't. There's resources and stuff for that. And if you don't want to deal- just play the American lines. They are decent at everything.

However, please note that a lot of the best guides on the web for WOT concentrate on the PC version of the game- they are great places to start your research, but the console versions of some tanks are different from the PC version.

4a. Learn your tank's armor and gun depression

You can check out the armor in the viewer in your garage, or go on-line. This will impact your tactics (hull down, sidescraping, etc.). Gun depression matters for being able to shoot up and down, using ridges, etc.

4b. Seriously, different tanks play differently. The AMX 12t is a light tank, but is a terrible active scout (better as  passive scout/late battle mop up & flank support), as is the Duck (better at ... um ... telling your friends you killed them with the Duck?). The ELC is also a light tank, but is closer to a super fast TD than a traditional light. Change your tactics based on your tank.

4c. Play the tanks that you like. So some people just grind line after line (I'll raise my hand sheepishly to that), but if you find a tank you really like, you can GIT GUD in that tank. Different tanks have different ways that they can excel, and it's only by playing it over and over and over again that you'll really learn how to play that tank right. 

5. A trained crew matters. 

And stock tanks always suck. I'm a grinder. So I go from one tank to the next, going upwards. And every time I move up, I'm terrible ... um, well, terribler. And again, this is something that should have been obvious from the get-go, but wasn't. Having a 100% trained crew is really, really good. And most of the stock configurations of the tanks (for newbies, that means before you upgrade) are terrible.

5a. Every time you move up a tank, you'll suck again. This means that, for the vast majority of us that are moving to a new tank with a 50% (UGH! DO NOT DO!!!) or 75% crew, the new tank you get will play SO MUCH WORSE than the tank you just had. Your crew will be terrible, and the stock tank will often have terrible equipment, often equipment that is below the tier of what you just moved from. This took me ... oh, six months to figure out? And numerous posts of, "Why is this tank (that I haven't upgraded yet) suck so hard?" Don't do that. If you start with a stock tank, IT WILL SUCK, and will likely feel much worse than the tank you just "upgraded" from.

5b. You can avoid this, if you want.  Ask around- there are techniques like "overtraining" (continue in a tank after it's been fully upgraded for a while before transferring the crew) and/or crew training in premiums and/or using free XP so you don't have to grind stock. Depending on your tolerance level, feel free to research and use these techniques.

6. Choose upgrades wisely.

People have different preferences. Unlike the PC version, we don't get to mix and match modules. You might have a preference for a high damage, long reload gun. Or perhaps you prefer a quick reload, but lower pen. Don't assume the last upgrade on the tech tree is the "best" one. Usually, it is ... but not always. 

If you don't know, just google the tank and the configurations, or even google something like, "World of tanks which gun is best on {Tank X}" and you're sure to find a debate on the pros and cons. 

7. Be nice.

Why isn't the person responding to your chat? Perhaps they have it turned off, like I did, after one too many ... interesting things carried over the TV when young ones were around. Why is the person playing so poorly? Perhaps because it's a shared account, and ROMMELKILLURTANKZ who usually pwns everyone and is unicum shares their account with their 9 year old, who loves to YOLO. Why aren't they moving for the first minute? Maybe they had to use the bathroom. Why is that player spinning in circles instead of helping you? It could be a lag demon. In short, who knows? The point is- it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Assume the best of your fellow tankers, even if they don't always deserve it.

Besides, if you are really all that, then you should be thankful for the bad players. After all, you get to blow them up! 

Finally, there's the question that comes up. What do you do if someone is trolling you? First, if you have to ask yourself if someone is trolling you ... they aren't. People make mistakes, and you will get accidentally bumped, jostled, and even rammed. There are all sorts of different skill levels in the game. But if you're being trolled in-game report it to WG as physics abuse. Make sure at the end of the match to create a video of the whole match- they will want evidence, and not just a selected portion, the WHOLE MATCH.

9. Skills and Equipment matters.

I spent a long time thinking that those little +5% bonuses and whatever were meaningless. I was wrong. They do matter. Look, even if you're a poor grinder, look into getting camouflage nets, binocs, and/or a toolbox (because you can remove/sell them and buy them back on the next vehicle). And skills for your crew really do matter. There's a long debate about mentor - search it out and form your own opinion. But once I had a number of skills on my crews (especially sixth sense) it made a noticeable difference. There are guides for all of this- find out what works for you, your tanks, and your style of play! See if you want to invest in camo skills, or shooting skills, or mobility skills, or vision skills, on nunchuck skills, or "the usual" (Sixth Sense, BIA, Repairs, etc.).

9a. Sixth sense. I didn't understand this because of the whole "detected" thing. But once you play with it, you get it. Heck, once you play with it, you immediately see which Reds have it, and which ones don't. It's a total crutch, but will increase your survival rate if you use it well.

9b. Seriously, get Sixth Sense. It's more than just the default. If you aren't playing with it, you aren't playing well. I originally wrote this before the great update that added the alert for targeted, but it is still true. The tank I had without sixth sense could not rely on just targeted.                                

10. Ammo matters. 

Seek out guides and learn what the differences are between the various ammo types. Find out how to switch your screen so you are paying for premium ammo (also called prammo) with silver and not gold. IMO, you can get to mediocre/decent with just standard ammo. But (and this varies from tank to tank) the difference between mediocre/good and awesome/amazing is knowing when to deploy the right ammunition. Or, in the alternative, just waste a lot of money and spam prammo.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Either way, learn what they do.

I know that all of these are basic things that are pointed out regularly, but I thought I would put them together here since these are the basic points that took me a while to understand while playing. Good tanking!

This is a fantastic post!  Thank you :)  I pinned it to the top.  

Edited by RaiBOT01, 14 August 2018 - 04:52 PM.

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' href='http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/walkingcat_by_thetaupe.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...by_thetaupe.gif</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...hetaupe.gif</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...upe.gif</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin...gif</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'><a href='http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://www.pixeljoin.../a></a></a></a></a> 

Player's passion for our games is the fuel that keeps my tank engine running every day.

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right" - Isaac Asimov

Follow me on Twitter: @RAIBot01 - Crew Skills and Perks

Click to send in a XBOX  -  PS4

BrogueOne #11 Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 19424 battles
  • [ELDER]
Something which is NOT readily explained in game is the option and necessity of disabling Gold purchases/swapping currency.  I spent several months never using premium ammo or consumables because I had no idea you could swap currencies for them..... it’s something I had to recently explain(specific to consumables, in this case) to someone who’s played for years... they had never used Large Kits because they didn’t know you could change to Silver and nothing in the game tells you that’s an option apart from a fairly not-so-obvious button buried in the bottom of the UI.

M4ntiX #12 Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:11 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18191 battles

OP, very good post! I wish I could've read it four years ago. :) +1

I would add an additional point - CONSUMABLES.

They have a significant influence on individual tank and game performance.

For example, are you driving an American heavy with a 20% fire chance that, in practice, feels like 50%? Install a fire extinguisher and if you want to be super safe, get an automatic one.

Is your tank getting tracked all the time? Have two repair kits, preferably a large one a and a small one.

Your commander and/or other crew members get knocked out constantly? Have a large med kit in your tank, it will provide the crew with passive protection and bring it back when needed.

You can also increase your reload speed, view range, decrease aim time, etc. by running a food consumable. Highly recommended for premium tanks since the cost of food is quite often offset by the silver earning bonus.

LordAnonII #13 Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 51736 battles
  • [MMTLS]

Understanding view and render ranges is also important for new players.

As is using your tank class for the purpose it is intended.

3 MoE's: Tier V: M-7, Stug III G, SU 85 - Tier VI: AMX Chaffee, AMX 12-t, M4A3E8, VK30.01.D, VK.30.02.M, VK30.01.P, JPanz IV, T 34 85, T 34 88, A 43, Chi-To, Hellcat, MT-25, Fury - Tier VII: T-71, T-20, Panther, VK.30.02.D, T-43, AMX 13 75 - Tier VIII: AMX 13 90. T-44. - Tier IX: Leopard PTA, T-54.

100%

mi amigo 9 #14 Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11846 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 14 August 2018 - 01:34 AM, said:

Using it makes it pretty much impossible to aim at weak spots consistently as all Aim Assist does is move the targeting cursor to center mass on the target.  Quite honestly it serves no useful purpose that I can see. 

I think I have to buck the trend on this one and say 'aim assist' depends.  I've always had it on.  It NEVER drags me away from making precise shots that I've noticed and maybe that's because the only time I'm trying to 'aim' is when I'm in gun camera and generally zoomed.  I also have my hor/vert sensitivity turned at the lowest possible setting.  Yes that makes my aiming slower but it also prevents bloom and when I'm trying to be precise it still is moving fast enough because generally i'm at distance when doing this.  I've never noticed being dragged off what I'm aiming at.  Again maybe that is because of my sensitivity setting on movement.  Even up close in sidescraping in a heavy it doesn't have an issue for me and I can make precise shots.

So based on this thread i turned it off for a few games.  I found myself missing easy shots when circling while scouting because i was not aimed at center mass.  Being center mass with aim assist and auto lock on is what I want.  Precision comes from timing my shots as i circle.  I can still hit the spoke wheel and track and hit back panels.  It's not like i'm going to try and aim and hit the cupola or cheeks of the turret while circling.

So that may have just been all coincidence but I just turned right back on.

mi amigo 9 #15 Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11846 battles
This should be moved to guides not general discussion.

dreadnought8283 #16 Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2360 battles
I wish this information was a must learn, review, tank a test on it, and they you could start playing the game. I mean with as many Yolo teams that I'm on or against that fall in 2 min's this info is mega vital for some much needed growth an development.

Haukkis #17 Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 28854 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 14 August 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

I disagree. It helps me a lot. I have tried few games aim assist turned off and I had real problems aiming or should I say keep my target properly aimed. Personally, I can't play well without aim assist. I know what you meand and sometimes aim assist hampers your aim but 99% time it helps. At least that's the case for. Btw, I use aim assist in nearly all possible games: Halo, Cod, Perfect Dark etc. Can't play without it, my thumbcontrol/ movements are not precise enough for playing without it.

Haukkis #18 Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 28854 battles

View PostSGT Rock 1963, on 13 August 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Your wrong sorry, Turn it off. It constantly tries to aim center mass, Causing late or early shots. Misses. Whether the target moves into cover or not. You want auto-lock on, For the cicle of death battles. Or just firing on the move in general. Aim assist is bad. Turn it off. Your info is wrong. Ps Most players agree with my statement. That part of yours is also false.

Most players agree with you? Hmm... okay then if u say so. Personally, aim assist helps me a lot. I have played few games without it and I had real problems aiming my targets.... Even against enemy bots in first War Stories mission. My thumb movements are not as precise  as yours, at least that's how I think it is, that's why I can't play well without aim assist. 

SGT Rock 1963 #19 Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:58 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 12481 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostHaukkis, on 15 August 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Most players agree with you? Hmm... okay then if u say so. Personally, aim assist helps me a lot. I have played few games without it and I had real problems aiming my targets.... Even against enemy bots in first War Stories mission. My thumb movements are not as precise  as yours, at least that's how I think it is, that's why I can't play well without aim assist. 

+1 

JPollocksNo5 #20 Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29656 battles
  • [UK]

View PostPit Friend, on 14 August 2018 - 01:34 AM, said:

I find it useful* in a few scenarios.

Busy enemies all around but confusing buildings and lights buzzing around? clicking auto aim will automatically swivel your turret to the one (or ones) you can hit [in theory]

I use it with sniping sometimes, as there is someone creeping up on a flank and I missed him trying to wait for someone in front of me

It's essential for panzer 1c type tanks when circling arty etc. - concentrate on driving.

it is useful when you know you can pen (nashorn) is on you late game and something else is on your right - sometimes I've mashed the buttons and have zoomed into my tank, or am looking at the inside of an IS3 when facehugging etc.

*You don't have to then take the shot, you use it to let it aim centre mass, then either change the aim, or let it go and zoom in.

Also tagged with tank, tink, tonk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users