• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

LethalRecon67 #1 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:39 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

Hello light tank enthusiast!

This is a guide on how to play light tanks this is a guide for player looking into the gameplay for light tanks and how they work. 

Before Reading here are some quick disclaimers

1. ​This guide is from my experiences playing light tanks
  2. This guide is primarily for new light tank players and is aimed to help them learn the basics as well as know which light tank are is best for them
  3. This will touch on several aspect of light tank gameplay
  4.  Some of this might not work for you but there is bound be something in this that will
  5. This is a THOROUGH GUIDE ​it​ will be a lengthy read but please read this completely as this will likely have something you might not know.
  6. This list will mainly focus on tiers 8-10 as gameplay at that tier requires more skill at those tier for various reasons
  7. Skipping through can cause confusion so please read the entire guide

​Contents

• Intro
  • Light Tanks
  • Spotting 
  • Camouflage
  • Maps
  • Strategies 

​Intro

​I would like to start of with a little bit about me. I was a pc player for World of Tanks and started playing in 2013 I have played console since May 2014. Most of my time spent in the game is learning the mechanics and studying my tanks as well as the enemies. This guide was built off of the knowledge I accumulated as well as my experiences in gameplay. I am a fan of playing light tanks and always have been. Early on in the game I made it a mission to collect all tier 5 light tanks and did but that was a difficult time since at that time tier 5 was the highest tier for light tanks and as a result the Chaffee played to tier 10, Leopard played to tier 8, there were no physics or hand brake yet, and it was overall a bad time for light tanks. But times have changed since and now is the best time to play light tanks​. However Playing a light tank is not as easy as you might think and can be very unforgiving if you do not know what you're doing. This guide will help new light tank players understand how to play their light tanks and hopefully help players who don't play light tanks understand what they are like and even some valuable tips that can be invaluable on the battlefield.

​Light Tanks

​It is very important to know that ​NOT ALL LIGHT TANKS ARE THE SAME​. There is a common misconception that all light tanks are the same and are equally capable of doing what other light tanks can. This could not be any further from the truth. The truth is while yes light tanks do share similar traits and goals, some excel far more in certain areas than others as well as fall far behind in certain areas than others. There are two types of light tanks.

• ​Aggressive light tanks 
  • Passive light tanks

There is a difference between these to types light tanks but there are also some vital differences between light tanks within the same type as well. Again the idea that all light tanks are the same is false. It is also important to note that often light tanks sacrifice one or some traits to excel in one or more other traits.

​Aggressive Light Tanks

Aggressive light tanks, despite the name are not aggressive in terms of being able to take on enemy tanks. They are aggressive because they often require to get close to the action to do their jobs. There are many types of aggressive light tanks but the generally have great camouflage and a feature to help then survive being closer to the action. These light tanks are much more capable of getting closer to the action and are also much more capable of surviving closer to the action than passive light tanks. They also require unique and different approaches to a situation and full use of there strengths. As a result the misconception that all light tanks are equally capable is by far the most untrue with these types of light tanks.

An interesting thing to know about aggressive light tanks is they are the most diverse type of light tanks as they all have there own unique way of achieving there required job, ​BUT​! They have a high risk high reward playstyle and skill is a much more important factor than it is with passive scouts. 

Here is a list of aggressive light tanks 

• T-100 LT 
  • AMX 13 105 
  • Ru 251
  • T-54 Lightweight
  • AMX 13 90
  • B-C 12 T

​Passive Light Tanks

Passive light tanks are passive because unlike aggressive light tanks, can't get to close to the action without putting themselves in danger. They are a much more simple and straight forward type of light tanks than there aggressive rivals. Generally the have ok or poor camo but compensate in view range. Sometimes they also have a better gun to help in long range combat for when they need too. There isn't much to these as they are al fairly similar but there are some important differences to be mentioned. As I said the light tanks generally have "meh" camo but have great view range but they are a very valuable asset to the team and in some cases are more valuable than aggressive light tanks. The key feature of these light is their view range. While aggressive lights generally have to get close to the enemies to be effective. Passive light don't have to travel as much and can hang back further and be just as if not more effective at spotting. Even though their camouflage is usually meh at best it is still very good compared to other tank types and since they don't have to be close and can sit back spotting them can be difficult and are something the enemy definitely need to be afraid of. 

Here is list of passive light tanks

• Sheridan
  • RHM. PZW.
  • WZ-132-1
  • T49
  • WZ-132A
  • M41 Walker Bulldog
  • HWK 12
  • WZ-132
  • LTTB

​Note that even though I have placed these tanks where I did they are still capable of filling in both type but remember as I said some excel better in certain areas than others. Admittedly it is difficult to tell the difference between the two types and you may be thinking that some of these I have placed in the wrong type but if you keep reading you might understand why.  

Spotting

Arguably the defining feature of light tanks and also the leading cause of frustration from both the light tank players and their team. If you read the last section by now you should understand that not all light are equal but if you didn't well there I said it again and I advise you go back and read it before continuing.

What is considered good view range? The answer is not so simple because there are many factors to consider. One thing for sure is good view range is easier to determine when you compare it to what you will be facing when you are top tier. Why? Well because if you are out tiered your job to spot can very easily become difficult especially when there are higher tier light tanks than you on your team. The truth is unless you are a tier 10 light tank if there are higher tier light tanks on your team then they are better than you in almost every way and if they are fully skilled and are using equipment forget trying to compete with them because you are going to struggle. This is part of the reason why I paced the tanks in the list in the previous section where they are. So now you might be asking yourself how can you spot effectively. The answer is very simple if you read the last section because all you have to do is play to your tanks strengths.

To help you understand how this works here is an example. 

The average view range among most tier 8 vehicles is about 350m for tank destroyers, 380m for mediums, and 380m for heavies with some heavies going as high 400m. You are in a light tanks with 380m view range which puts you above the common average but still below the highest. 

Remember this scenario as I will be using it again later.

Knowing this you can exploit them to your advantage. Tank destroyers cant see well so you should stay outside friendly view range to spot for them or outside enemy tank destroyers view range to avoid being detected. Mediums can be fast but can't maintain their camouflage on the move and can often have worse camouflage than you so both friendly and enemy mediums are likely to get spotted before you and back off. Heavies can have a high amount of view range but are slow so staying ahead of friendly heavies will give you a better chance to spot and you can use your speed to get away from enemy heavies if you feel like you might get spotted.

See that isn't difficult right? Well easer said than done, but why? The spotting mechanics in the game are a bit complex and take practice to understand. 

The maximum spotting range it 445m. You may have noticed that there are several things within the game that say you can have a maximum view range of 500m. Now you might be thinking to yourself this makes no sense and asking why even max out your view range. Well there is a reason. View range and spotting range are two different things. Anything within 445m can be detected but not outside 445m because 445 is the maximum spotting range but there's a catch. The further the target is the longer it will take to detect them. The game updates every few seconds so even if a enemy is within 445m it might take 5-10 seconds for the game to register the enemy detected. This is why you want that 500m view range. Having more than 445m view range speeds up the rate at which the game registers the enemy detected. This is especially important for detecting tanks with amazing camouflage. 

But wait there's more. You may have seen light tanks cresting a hill to spot enemies on the other side, but what if I told you don't need to do that. The way spotting work is essentially by you commander spotting the enemies(Ever wondered why when you commander is knocked out your view range drops dramatically? Well know you know). This means that you do not need to crest a hill to spot enemies. Instead the best thing to do is to get you commanders hatch above the hill because you commander is the one responsible for spotting. This makes you much safer as you are a smaller target. It's also very important to know that the vision cone shown on your mini map that aims in the direction you are looking in is your "Direct Fire Mode" meaning you will spot enemies much faster if they are inside that cone than if they were outside so it's important to look around and scan the area to increase spotting effectiveness. 

​Camouflage

First I want you to ask yourself what is it that makes a light tank a light tank. Silly question right? However the answer isn't as simple as you think. The first thing that might come to mind are mobility, view range, camouflage, or lack of armor. Well if you don't already know there are many other tank types that also meet these feats yet are not light tanks. The M48 is tied for best view range, The Bat Chat 25 T doesn't have armor and is also fast, many tanks destroyers have better camouflage than light tanks. So what makes a light tank A light tank? The answer is the ability to maintain camo on the move. That is the only reason why light tanks are what they are and is the single most important thing about them because it affects everything about them. Camouflage is the most important thing about a light tank. The sheer level of absurdity you can achieve with a light tanks camouflage is indeed that, absurd. Much like view range the best way to determine what is good camouflage is to compare it to what you will be facing being top tier. 

​Remember that scenario I asked you to remember? No? Well here it is just in case.

The average view range among most tier 8 vehicles is about 350m for tank destroyers, 380m for mediums, and 380m for heavies with some heavies going as high 400m. You are in a light tanks with 380m view range which puts you above the common average but still below the highest.

Tank destroyers can have very good camo but remember they're pretty much blind. Most mediums have about .22 camo rating with the exception of the U.S.S.R and Chinese who have about .3 but can't maintain their camo while moving, and heavies have abysmal camo.

Now look back to how I mentioned spotting mechanics work. See how this adds up? You can very easily be an effective spotter if you are aware of how to exploit your enemy. Once again though easier said than done and this will take practice but if you do practice this eventually become instinctive and you do it without to much thinking. 

So how can you increase your camo rating? There are several ways.

• ​Food
  • Improved Ventilation
  • Brothers in Arms
  • Camo Net
  • Green Thumb
  • Camouflage Perk
  • Camouflage Paint

There is a perk called Silent Driving but it will not add to your camo rating since light tanks maintain stationary camo on the move and Wargaming Customer Support confirmed this for me so it is a wasted perk to use. There is also muffled shot but this is a perk I strongly advise not to use as your main purpose is to spot.

Together they increase your camo rating by 46%(41% without food) which can increase your camo rating enough for the less knowledgeable to call you a hacker and that is not a joke, as I said it can get absurd. here is the the stats than can be achieved just so you can see.

T-100 LT: 0.51 camo rating

Ru 251: 0.45 camo rating

M41 Bulldog: 0.36 camo rating

On their own those numbers are insane but they get even better when you use bushes. To give you an idea of how ridiculous this can get. I had my friend bring his T-100 LT into team training with everything I listed here and had him sit behind a bush. I ran my T57 Heavy and met him at the bush. Even though I knew he was right there I could not detect him until I came within 50m. Once I detected him I backed out to 51m and he camouflaged out. I did say this can get absurd and I meant it. 

There is some important thing to know about how camo work  because like spotting mechanics camouflage is complex.

It is completely possible to stay undetected as close a 50m but no closer.

1. Even if you are not in the enemies line of sight if you are 50m or closer you will automatically become detected regardless. 
  2. Every tank has point on the tank called hard points. They are on the front, sides and rear of the hull and turret as well as the roof of the turret. When these hard points are visible the vehicle can be spotted very easily. This is why you will not receive a camo bonus if you are sticking out of a bush. 
  3. Hard points must be visible for the tank to  be spotted 
  4. If you are behind a bush and fire if and are not 15m behind the bush you will not receive a camo bonus. If you want to fire back up 15m away from the bush then fire. The easies way to know if you are 15m away is when the bush is solid and not transparent. If the bush is transparent you are closer than 15m. 
  5. Wargaming has said in their mechanics video that fallen trees do not grant a camo bonus but have contradicted that by saying that they do in other videos so just take it safe and only use bushes and not fallen trees.

Maps

​It's easy to think that light tanks can do well on any map but this unfortunately is not true. Like all other tank types there are certain map that are great for you and others that can render you useless. The worst maps for light tanks are very small maps and city maps such as Ensk, Himmelsdorf, Ghost Town, Ravaged Capital and the similar maps because they leave you very little room to go undetected and many tanks have good enough view range to cover most of the map making it difficult for you to spot without risking your life and with the many obstacles in the way they are generally the worst. The best maps are large open maps like Molinavka, Heilbronn, Sand River, Kasserine just to name a few because they allow you to use your full potential. Something very useful to know is many maps have areas where tanks like to slug it out so if you are aware of these areas take advantage of them and find a spot where you can spot the enemy tanks. 

​Strategies

​As fun as it seem to run out there and cause chaos in a light tank you are doing both you and your team a disservice. Light tanks are vital in the begging of a game because the can help their team know where the enemy is as well as stall an enemy push. When an enemy receives that detected notification but can't see anyone they will likely not push out of fear of being shot by an unknown enemy. This is enough to allow your team to advance on an enemy push and give you a lot of spotting damage. If there are several light tanks on your team do not follow them. More than likely they will rush out into the enemy for spots but get killed. Even thought they spotted the enemies if they are killed you will have the opportunity to spot the enemies again and receive their XP You might not get spotting ribbons but you will get spotting damage. The most important time for a light tank to be alive is at the end of the battle. If it comes down to a 4v4 and your the only light tank alive on either side you easily win the game for you team. Since the amount of enemies alive is so low you have a lot mor room to run around and not get spotted. At this point in the game everyone will be camping out of fear of being killed and have likely taken a lot of damage. This is where your camo and view range are vital since you can easily spot the enemy allowing your remaining team mates to see them and hopefully kill them. You can even deal some damage at this point in the game and get away with it. This is the best way to play light tanks, yes the beginning will be slow and boring but when you get to this point in a game and pull it off the results are very rewarding. Of course you will not be a pro immediately but with practice you most certainly can. 

Before ending this I want to address something 

Some people might say their is no point in spotting if their team doesn't shoot anything they spot. As true as this may seem it's really your positioning. As I said almost all maps have a area where tanks like to slug it out and there are places where tanks like to go to avoid artillery. I found that the easiest way to get spotting damage is to learn where the heavy tanks like to brawl because unlike all other tank types heavies always go to the same spot and rarely ever go anywhere else and they also like to attract tank destroyers. They have a lot of health and artillery and tank destroyers like to shoot at heavies for their juicy health 

Redshire: Right side on the 9 line the heavies always brawl there.

Molinavka: Right side on the hill is where the heavies always brawl.

Overlord: Right side between the two hills the heavies always brawl

Murovanka: Left side is where the heavies like to brawl

Edited for grammar errors and added another disclaimer 

Edited by LethalRecon67, 29 August 2018 - 03:23 AM.

LethalRecon67 #2 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:43 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]
Are you a new light tank player who found this helpful? Did you learn something new? Did you know how insane the camo rating can get? How about them hard points or the 50m proximity spotting? Share your feed back. Any feedback is appreciated. 

ThermalStone #3 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:01 AM

Major

• Players
  • 28734 battles
  • [80085]

View PostLethalRecon67, on 27 August 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

There is also muffled shot but this is a perk I strongly advise not to use as your main purpose is to spot.

I almost stopped reading after this.  Light tanks make great damage dealers early game on some maps because they can shoot and not be detected.  At the very least you can set up, plan an escape route, and aim while still undetected, then scoot away if firing reveals your position.  The AMX 13 90 in particular is a tank I've been playing a lot of and it's primary purpose isn't to scout, it's to deliver that 4 round clip where it's needed on the battlefield.  It's one of the premier damage dealing tanks of tier 9.  Plenty of games I've had the most damage for a winning team.  

Edited by ThermalStone, 28 August 2018 - 01:01 AM.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

CleverJoey1844 #4 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 41671 battles
  • [STDZ]
Good read. Very informative for new light players. I myself know of the hard points and 50m range. Every light plays differently for a fact, im not burple but i know a little bit . Very good instructions- but main thing is experience playing. It looks easy when great players use them. Reality (its not easy)

dzhey43 #5 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 23937 battles
  • [3EBC]
Is Camouflage Perk work on LT?

SquizzM3 #6 Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:02 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5091 battles
  • [TVR4]
You lost me at tnaks. 

Witness the Sh!tness...

steelheadclan #7 Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14863 battles
  • [REAL]

View PostThermalStone, on 27 August 2018 - 05:01 PM, said:

I almost stopped reading after this.  Light tanks make great damage dealers early game on some maps because they can shoot and not be detected.  At the very least you can set up, plan an escape route, and aim while still undetected, then scoot away if firing reveals your position.  The AMX 13 90 in particular is a tank I've been playing a lot of and it's primary purpose isn't to scout, it's to deliver that 4 round clip where it's needed on the battlefield.  It's one of the premier damage dealing tanks of tier 9.  Plenty of games I've had the most damage for a winning team.  

Yep. 

if you have a gun,,,,,use it. 

Classic passive spotting is rare. 

High caliber, top gun and patrol duty are are my goals as a light tanker. 

LethalRecon67 #8 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View PostCleverJoey1844, on 27 August 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Good read. Very informative for new light players. I myself know of the hard points and 50m range. Every light plays differently for a fact, im not burple but i know a little bit . Very good instructions- but main thing is experience playing. It looks easy when great players use them. Reality (its not easy)

Yes it does take some practice

LethalRecon67 #9 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View Postdzhey43, on 27 August 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Is Camouflage Perk work on LT?

According to Wargaming it doesn’t add to your camo rating but it reduces the distance which you can be detected. So the answer is yes.

LethalRecon67 #10 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View PostThermalStone, on 27 August 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

They are most certainly good damage dealers but this guide is primarily for new light tanks players. It would best for new light tanks players to learn the how to spot first before taking a chance at combat. 

LethalRecon67 #11 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View PostSquizzM3, on 27 August 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

You lost me at tnaks. 

Thanks I made that typo quite a few times. I tried to fix as many typos as possible so I’ll go back and fix it.

donny007-THX #12 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18011 battles
  • [NLD01]
Shoot three times, bounce three times, run for 32 seconds while reloading.
When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

P6X330 #13 Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13095 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 28 August 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Shoot three times, bounce three times, run for 32 seconds while reloading.

^^^

This

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

SquizzM3 #14 Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5091 battles
  • [TVR4]

View PostLethalRecon67, on 29 August 2018 - 02:16 AM, said:

Thanks I made that typo quite a few times. I tried to fix as many typos as possible so I’ll go back and fix it.

Excellent. Please fix “thorough” while you’re there, especially if you’re going to use bold and all caps. 

Witness the Sh!tness...

LethalRecon67 #15 Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:24 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View PostSquizzM3, on 28 August 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

Excellent. Please fix “thorough” while you’re there, especially if you’re going to use bold and all caps. 

I will do a thorough revision tomorrow when my laptop is charged and I'm not so tired but I fixed that obvious typo :)

dzhey43 #16 Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 23937 battles
  • [3EBC]

View PostLethalRecon67, on 28 August 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

According to Wargaming it doesn’t add to your camo rating but it reduces the distance which you can be detected. So the answer is yes.

I’ve got your point. Camo calculator shows you that ~1%. But is is one of the last perk needed on lt, especially on active style lt (probably somewhere 10th?) remember the days 8tier lt will always play against 10tiers, and now we could play on any lt with same level, you will shoot anyway) muffed shot helps a lot to stay hidden shooting from a distance, goes right after 6th sense and brotherhood. Even repair is not much usefull, if they immobilize you without repair kits left you are almost dead)

LethalRecon67 #17 Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]

View Postdzhey43, on 29 August 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

I’ve got your point. Camo calculator shows you that ~1%. But is is one of the last perk needed on lt, especially on active style lt (probably somewhere 10th?) remember the days 8tier lt will always play against 10tiers, and now we could play on any lt with same level, you will shoot anyway) muffed shot helps a lot to stay hidden shooting from a distance, goes right after 6th sense and brotherhood. Even repair is not much usefull, if they immobilize you without repair kits left you are almost dead)

I knew I was forgetting something. I left mid way through writing this to help out with groceries so when I came back I only remembered the most important. I had other sections in the contents part but forgot what I was going to talk about so I deleted them. Thank you for the the reminders.

LethalRecon67 #18 Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [UKMOB]
I’m going to have to revise this anyway since the 4.6 update buffed and nerfed some things so I’ll be doing that later after looking at all the stats to everything again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users