About Mercenaries tanks and lights

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Black RL #1 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 50066 battles

No, this is not another complaint thread.

So, the “community” says the Mercenaries tanks were a failure, yet the game is filled with light tanks because of the Mercenaries contracts.

Thoughts on this?

Gotta catch them all! ^^

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why.

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg

korbendallas-01 #2 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41311 battles
  • [GER_1]

Action speak louder than words.

Most aspects of the whole Mercenary thing is done right. The tanks seem to be balanced and you can easily ignore the contracts. The only negative thing I can see (and it's a big one) is the scout deluge.

Personally, I run Mercenary contracts because I can, and because you get perks for each step, but they are much lower on my list of priorities than a couple of weeks ago.

John Arrowsmith #3 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 67560 battles
I don't really care about the Merc tanks,  but if I can get free extras I will continue to select contracts.

This forum needs the Fake Marine

Snore,   the only person I know of that likes mushy peas in a taco with cinnamon sprinkles. 

Sgt Becket FEAR #4 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10143 battles
  • [ROSA]

I actually like the tanks themselves and the Ops.

Ops have always caused some weird periods of tanks suddenly running amok and messing with the MM...

Lights just have a certain way of getting everyone's attention in the wrong ways.

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

korbendallas-01 #5 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41311 battles
  • [GER_1]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 September 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Ops have always caused some weird periods of tanks suddenly running amok and messing with the MM...

True, and I think that's a well-known phenomenon, which in turn makes it a bit strange that WG would introduce perpetual ops.

Sgt Becket FEAR #6 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10143 battles
  • [ROSA]

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 14 September 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

True, and I think that's a well-known phenomenon, which in turn makes it a bit strange that WG would introduce perpetual ops.

The inmates run the asylum.

Embrace the madness and smile :)

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

XT356 #7 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles
I just wish they had more mediums and heavy tanks that you can use to complete contracts. I only have two lights pass tier 4 and I dont enjoy playing them. a few of the contracts were fine, until they turned into light only bonanzas and I gave up on them. You can only run the snake bite so many times before it gets super old. 

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"

Knot3D #8 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22828 battles

I don't object to Merc tanks in general, but so far the majority of them aren't appealing to me -

not, until they start adjusting the nature of the line into something more alike our suggestions in that official merc tank suggestion thread.

Meaning:

- Merc tanks which are based on actual real world tank experiments ; as in, tested by actual wartime engineers. 

- More DIVERSE merc tanks, including SPG and turretless TD's as well

- Perhaps the addition of new tank classes such as tactical support roles such as a medic tank

And yeah, I don't have a good word for the effect of the Merc ops on the state of general gameplay so far.

korbendallas-01 #9 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41311 battles
  • [GER_1]

View PostXT356, on 14 September 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

I just wish they had more mediums and heavy tanks that you can use to complete contracts. I only have two lights pass tier 4 and I dont enjoy playing them. a few of the contracts were fine, until they turned into light only bonanzas and I gave up on them. You can only run the snake bite so many times before it gets super old. 

I actually don't mind this particular aspect of the op. I think it's ok that certain ops are hard to do for certain tankers.

Sorry mate.

steelheadclan #10 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14305 battles

I play the ops that my current tanks qualify for. 

Sgt Becket FEAR #11 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10143 battles
  • [ROSA]

To be honest, I never really do the Ops.

Bigtop was the first one in nearly 3 years and I was in a bout of insomnia during all that so it is all a blur to me now xDDD

DaLuckyDawg #12 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31488 battles

I have not been around “forever” so my perspective comes from a newer player.

1. Since my ultimate goal is STE any reason to grind any particular line that I don’t have with the added bonus of boosts, silver, and tanks as rewards are a good thing.

2. More free Tanks is better than no free tanks and the fact that with the current Op and my Tusk contract I am getting two work on 2 free tanks at the same time.

3.  Some of the Mercs are ok and some are garbage (just like TT) and that’s fine.  I earn them to play them and know their weaknesses from first hand experience.

4.  I kind of view them as trophies because I don’t pay gold and actually earn them.

5.  I already enjoy playing lights and while the gameplay has definitely changed in recent months (have been putting Controlled Impact on my lights) it has forced me to get better at “Street Fighting” with lights as compared with just being a scout.

6.   When you look at the Microsoft achievements and the percentage of players that have either started or completed any Merc contract is so small much of the dilemma probably has more to do with the numbers playing the game and not necessarily the volume of people that are grinding these contracts.

Lastly, I play the game because I enjoy it and don’t have any perception that WG will do anything based on what the community thinks. They will do whatever they want and occasionally reference “the players” as it relates to their decisions.

Three 60 Mafia #13 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7676 battles
  • [RDDT]

They messed up with mercenary crews. 

They should have been the crews you can use in any nations tanks, for an increased silver cost of retraining. For example, like 250k - 500k silver for academy training (based on crew Rank and # of skills) instead of 100k as it is now. It would better reflect their merc nature and the fact that they get greedier as they get better. 

That way, you can train a badass merc crew with like 15 perks and then move them between you favourite tanks or any future tanks, albeit at higher cost. 

That's the definition of mercenary anyhow, crew for hire. Instead they are stuck in the merc tech tree tanks, any you wont be switching between many tanks on that tree anyhow nor will most people have many of those tanks. 

A real missed opportunity there. 

Edited by Three 60 Mafia, 14 September 2018 - 01:41 PM.

Official Chrysler K Salesman (Owner of 2 Chrysler K Tanks) - HMH Chrysler K - 3 MoE | Chrysler K - 3 MoE
My YouTube Channel - http://gaming.youtube.com/three60mafia 

John Arrowsmith #14 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 67560 battles

View PostThree 60 Mafia, on 14 September 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

They messed up with mercenary crews. 

They should have been the crews you can use in any nations tanks, for an increased silver cost of retraining. For example, like 250k - 500k silver for academy training (based on crew Rank and # of skills) instead of 100k as it is now. It would better reflect their merc nature and the fact that they get greedier as they get better. 

That way, you can train a badass merc crew with like 15 perks and then move them between you favourite tanks or any future tanks, albeit at higher cost. 

That's the definition of mercenary anyhow, crew for hire. Instead they are stuck in the merc tech tree tanks, any you wont be switching between many tanks on that tree anyhow nor will most people have many of those tanks. 

A real missed opportunity there. 

A real opportunity to miss out on premium tanks sales?   Sound like a bad idea for wg.

This forum needs the Fake Marine

Snore,   the only person I know of that likes mushy peas in a taco with cinnamon sprinkles. 

Sadriel Fett #15 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22964 battles
The fact they went back and re-did some of the older contracts to make them less restrictive really helped out the Mercenary line.  Before they did that, some players were only able to get one or two tanks at most, with the tank lines they liked to grind.  That didn't really make the Mercenary tanks worthwhile for anything. Now, at least, players are able to get several and in a decent amount of time and effort.  So, kudos to the team for doing that.

"Prepare for battle, reach for glory, and plan for blood." ~~ The Sovereign

FinlandRed #16 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:17 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18885 battles

Tried the Bobblehead but got stuck on the setting someone on fire part before it expired. Haven't bothered since then. I don't enjoy light tanks and I'm not grinding lines to get a mediocre tank I won't play. The intermediate rewards aren't special enough to make the effort.

From my point of view they're a failure as they're not interesting enough to make it work my limited game time. Also, the nature of the contracts has distorted MM very badly. They had similar problems on the PC with Personal Missions causing people to do stupid stuff to get the op and move on. Tatters gona tatter I guess...

CatSnipah #17 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21851 battles
  • [BNKR]

I'm very disappointed in the choice WGCB made for implementing merc tanks.  And why I'm still burned about it is how we were told that they gave us what we asked for, when we clearly didn't ask for this abomination.

Now, that said, I did one for the experience, and won't do another.  Silly how it takes them years to "collect data" to decide how to balance a tank, yet several of the merc tanks have been out less than 2-3 months and got nerfed in the most recent update.

I've been playing this game for over 3 years now, and I understand that OPs influence the meta at times.  However, it is typically a SHORT-TERM influence - a month or less.  In some cases, just a few weeks.  However, these merc contracts have given the impression that they have near-permanently changed the meta.  Since these contracts last months and will apparently be in some sort of availability rotation, this will mean that these idiotic meta-crushing cycles will likely never go away.

But, hey, it's a way for WGCB to make a buck.  Moreover, they are trying to appeal to a different player base these days - the no-thought. run-n-gun yoloclown crowd.  And we have seen with past decisions and lack of communication that they really don't give a rat's piss about the player base.  So, in the end, while I get perturbed over it, I'm no longer surprised.

But it is also why I don't play this game nearly as much as I once was.  But again, I don't think anyone at WGCB really gives a crap that they are driving off people like me.  After all, they have their mommy-credit-card-using CoD crowd now.

FinlandRed #18 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18885 battles

View PostCatSnipah, on 14 September 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I'm very disappointed in the choice WGCB made for implementing merc tanks.  And why I'm still burned about it is how we were told that they gave us what we asked for, when we clearly didn't ask for this abomination.

But it is also why I don't play this game nearly as much as I once was.  But again, I don't think anyone at WGCB really gives a crap that they are driving off people like me.  After all, they have their mommy-credit-card-using CoD crowd now.

PREACH!!! I should have been their target market. Cash rich, time poor history freak with a love of armoured vehicles and yet every decision they make turns the game into CoD in tanks and pushes me further away. No more money from me WG.

AleTieCan05 #19 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42035 battles
  • [SAN]

View PostBlack RL, on 14 September 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

No, this is not another complaint thread.

So, the “community” says the Mercenaries tanks were a failure, yet the game is filled with light tanks because of the Mercenaries contracts.

Thoughts on this?

to look at how much of all these light tanks play, I would say that very few will arrive at the end of the contract ... most are limited to dying in the first minutes and ruining the game to all the others, not much else ... But I understand that WGCB is going to make him buy the end of the contract when we are at the end of the year :coin:

p.s. the mercenary tanks are a new system of WGCB to squeeze money from the wallets of the "smartest" players ... for this purpose they were designed and built, what did you expect (no can use your "free exp", only real gold......also to buy tanks of level 10).?

dtproof151 #20 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18184 battles
  • [TACO]

Same here.

Played yesterday after a long hiatus. It felt the same as after watching The Last Jedi...

Don't worry, dear Pamela, I'll do my scientific best to command your fleet...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users