Is there a point to playing jap mediums now?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

XT356 #1 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles
I been wanting to unlock the STA1 for a while and finally did it. Im almost on the last package but with the way things are going, whats the point? Its got no armor (not a big issue), speed is meh, but the gun sucks. Its so inaccurate. I have missed more shots that would have landed strait with most of the other tanks I play. And with the current stage of things, If for some reason a light tank of two decided to focus on me, I cant really fight back. Even if there are team mates around, they are useless. Really want to like this tank, but with the horrible mm and influx of lights, it feel it might be a lost cause. 

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"

ATHFjman18 #2 Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15642 battles
  • [JOCO]

At the very least, keep at the STA-1. Don’t pass full judgement until the final package is unlocked.

I was the same way in the beginning and thought it was a turd until I got the top gun and figured out its play style. I absolutely fell in love with the tank at the end of the grind and actually wound up 3 marking it for the fun of it.

It is a true and true support medium. Don’t push with the lights, but also try to be the segway spotter if the lights are all gone. Go for distracted tanks that’s are brawling with your heavies and don’t be embarrassed about having to snipe from a distance. Pretty much assist, but don’t take the forefront. 

TBH not sure how bad it’s been with the current light tank swarms. I haven’t played it recently to know the pain.....maybe sit on it until after the Tusk op blows over if you continue to struggle due to the light tank overkill. 

XT356 #3 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostATHFjman18, on 14 September 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

At the very least, keep at the STA-1. Don’t pass full judgement until the final package is unlocked.

I was the same way in the beginning and thought it was a turd until I got the top gun and figured out its play style. I absolutely fell in love with the tank at the end of the grind and actually wound up 3 marking it for the fun of it.

It is a true and true support medium. Don’t push with the lights, but also try to be the segway spotter if the lights are all gone. Go for distracted tanks that’s are brawling with your heavies and don’t be embarrassed about having to snipe from a distance. Pretty much assist, but don’t take the forefront. 

TBH not sure how bad it’s been with the current light tank swarms. I haven’t played it recently to know the pain.....maybe sit on it until after the Tusk op blows over if you continue to struggle due to the light tank overkill. 

I like the tank, its meant for a cautious play style.  I see it as a slower hellcat two tiers up. The second package is not bad and the rof is decent. The new engines helps a lot. Im just sick of being thrown into matches where I am on top as a light medium and the other team have some truly heavy tanks like the lowe and motherland. it keeps leading into extremely one sided slaughters. And having 4 to 6 light autoloaders really doesnt help. 

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"

Leon_SMF #4 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33918 battles
  • [GRE]

Excellent medium tanks !!!

I hope these recent pictures can change your mind :medal:

https://pbs.twimg.co...QCyXj.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.co...ABR1i.jpg:large

Edited by Leon_SMF, 14 September 2018 - 01:19 PM.

Ronin Gaidin #5 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 30547 battles

I like the STA-1. Got through it before the change to lights, though.

What I can say for the current game is that the Tier IX Type 61 is good. If you maintain the cautious play style, the top package gun on this thing (105 mm Rifled Gun) is pretty sweet. Mobility is respectable, and can even catch a bounce off the turret now and then. 

XT356 #6 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostLeon_SMF, on 14 September 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Excellent medium tanks !!!

I hope these recent pictures can change your mind :medal:

https://pbs.twimg.co...QCyXj.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.co...ABR1i.jpg:large

I hated the chi-ri. Even with the auto loader. Honestly hated that tank. I liked the chi-nu and the chi-to. But with the current way things are playing, they are hard to do well in. I also dont up prem rounds and have had to learn where to shot instead. Been trying to save all the silver I can for some tier 8 and nine purchases and equipment outfittings. 

korbendallas-01 #7 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 41305 battles
  • [GER_1]

View PostXT356, on 14 September 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I been wanting to unlock the STA1 for a while and finally did it. Im almost on the last package but with the way things are going, whats the point? Its got no armor (not a big issue), speed is meh, but the gun sucks. Its so inaccurate. I have missed more shots that would have landed strait with most of the other tanks I play. And with the current stage of things, If for some reason a light tank of two decided to focus on me, I cant really fight back. Even if there are team mates around, they are useless. Really want to like this tank, but with the horrible mm and influx of lights, it feel it might be a lost cause. 

I haven't played it a lot lately, but I really liked the tank and the gun. Wait for the top package, if you are not there yet.

Leon_SMF #8 Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33918 battles
  • [GRE]

View PostXT356, on 14 September 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

I hated the chi-ri. Even with the auto loader. Honestly hated that tank. I liked the chi-nu and the chi-to. But with the current way things are playing, they are hard to do well in. I also dont up prem rounds and have had to learn where to shot instead. Been trying to save all the silver I can for some tier 8 and nine purchases and equipment outfittings. 

I'm sorry, but with 29 pens (without fire damage) in a game, you can't pass this tank :)

XT356 #9 Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostLeon_SMF, on 14 September 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but with 29 pens (without fire damage) in a game, you can't pass this tank :)

I can and did. Got tired of if spotted being everyones target. Had tanks stop shooting at each other just so they could shoot me instead. And being number 1 priority for artillery sucks. Even more so that anything, and I mean anything will pen the stupid thing. The three round burst does not offset its size. 

Pontiac Pat #10 Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 21742 battles
  • [47R]
The line actually got several significant buffs to the tiers 5, 6, 7 and 8.  STA-1 even got an armored 'cross' on the gun mantlet that might bounce a few shots (though I wouldn't depend on it).  The Type 61 has the same cross on the mantlet, but at tier 9 it makes no difference.  The jury is still out on the STB-1.  Is the turret buff bouncy enough to make up for the dpm loss?  I don't know yet.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

XT356 #11 Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostPontiac Pat, on 14 September 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

The line actually got several significant buffs to the tiers 5, 6, 7 and 8.  STA-1 even got an armored 'cross' on the gun mantlet that might bounce a few shots (though I wouldn't depend on it).  The Type 61 has the same cross on the mantlet, but at tier 9 it makes no difference.  The jury is still out on the STB-1.  Is the turret buff bouncy enough to make up for the dpm loss?  I don't know yet.

I wouldnt try to rely on the armor of these guys, but man, the sta feels so inaccurate that is it is painful. Cant decided between gld or a stabilizer for it as. 

choppermeir #12 Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7222 battles
  • [FILTH]
Yeah I'm in the same boat, haven't unlocked the top gun yet but it just misses every shot fired which then makes me get closer to the fight and by that point it's all over for me. I I liked the Chi Nu, found the chi to a niteh and love love love the chi ri with either gun but the STA-1 is sucking the fun out of the grind for me. Hopefully it changes once I have the top package but right now it's right down the list of tanks I want to play 

Come see me stream over on https://twitch.tv/choppermeir you never know you might enjoy it

XT356 #13 Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View Postchoppermeir, on 26 September 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat, haven't unlocked the top gun yet but it just misses every shot fired which then makes me get closer to the fight and by that point it's all over for me. I I liked the Chi Nu, found the chi to a niteh and love love love the chi ri with either gun but the STA-1 is sucking the fun out of the grind for me. Hopefully it changes once I have the top package but right now it's right down the list of tanks I want to play 

This tank is do damn inaccurate that its not even funny. I swear an IS3 can hit distance targets better than this thing. 

Unkempt #14 Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18949 battles
  • [SRT]
STB-1 was just returned to it's prior glory and the HD model make the turret feel more reliable. 390 alpha and over 3k DPM? Yes please. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

XT356 #15 Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:05 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostUnkempt, on 27 September 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

STB-1 was just returned to it's prior glory and the HD model make the turret feel more reliable. 390 alpha and over 3k DPM? Yes please. 

But can it hit the target? This STA1 cannot hit an oho broadside. 

Unkempt #16 Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18949 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostXT356, on 27 September 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

But can it hit the target? This STA1 cannot hit an oho broadside. 

That is the price you pay for its DPM. Poor accuracy and probably the worst movement dispersion on a tier 10 medium. The Type 61 has none of these issues (with the 105), but has abysmal camo and a huge commander's hatch. 

YouTube

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

XT356 #17 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles

View PostUnkempt, on 28 September 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

That is the price you pay for its DPM. Poor accuracy and probably the worst movement dispersion on a tier 10 medium. The Type 61 has none of these issues (with the 105), but has abysmal camo and a huge commander's hatch. 

Im talking about the sta1, the tier 8. Not the stb1 the tier 10. I missed a good 6 or 7 shots fully aimed and everything. It is quite depressing. I guess im jut used to the german accuracy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users