AMX 50 100

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

BlahCarnivore6 #21 Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9591 battles
  • [12PZR]
I love this tank! Standard rounds for top or mid tier and the expensive silver rounds for bottom tier. I finished my daily ops this morning with this tank, the earning excellence op to be precise. As I always start with tier 5-6 to get warmed up.

This tank plays as a hard hitting French autoloader with the speed of a medium, the armor of a light and the DPM of a heavy.

wake_the_move #22 Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8117 battles

Why does it have such bad camo? Ok, that‘s 7 years ago, but I remember it having a camo rating only slightly worse to the Lorraine 40t.

P6X330 #23 Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15311 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postwake_the_move, on 21 June 2019 - 02:29 AM, said:

Why does it have such bad camo? Ok, that‘s 7 years ago, but I remember it having a camo rating only slightly worse to the Lorraine 40t.

Well, that's easy to answer.... the 50-100 is classified as a "Heavy" tank, and the Lorraine is classified as a "Medium" tank.

In reality, they both play like Medium tanks, gun wise, the 50-100 has the advantage over the Lorraine, so it needs to have some of the cons to keep it in check. Lorraine is faster, and has better camouflage.

I like them both, but the Lorraine is a little gem that too many players pass...

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

wake_the_move #24 Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8117 battles

View PostP6X330, on 22 June 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

Well, that's easy to answer.... the 50-100 is classified as a "Heavy" tank, and the Lorraine is classified as a "Medium" tank.

In reality, they both play like Medium tanks, gun wise, the 50-100 has the advantage over the Lorraine, so it needs to have some of the cons to keep it in check. Lorraine is faster, and has better camouflage.

I like them both, but the Lorraine is a little gem that too many players pass...

Excuse me, but the AMX 50 100 does not nearly play like a medium tank. Yes, it got 50 kph top speed on paper, but it often enough struggles to reach even 40. The Lorraine has a higher top speed and actually a sufficient p/w ratio to even reach it. The 100 has the advantage regarding gun handling? 2.5 sec aim time on the Lorraine compared to the 100‘s 3 seconds, same accuracy. Thus I guess we can agree that the AMX 50 100 hasn‘t got any significant armor.

Yes it‘s comparing a T8 to a T9, nevertheless the 100 is absolutely inferior in any regard, plus it‘s a distance fighter, and as such relying on stealth. To cut down it‘s camo is what‘s hurting it the most. 0.20 while stationary and 0.10 while moving would have been fair for this tank. 

The AMX 50 100 is 

P6X330 #25 Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15311 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postwake_the_move, on 22 June 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Excuse me, but the AMX 50 100 does not nearly play like a medium tank. Yes, it got 50 kph top speed on paper, but it often enough struggles to reach even 40. The Lorraine has a higher top speed and actually a sufficient p/w ratio to even reach it. The 100 has the advantage regarding gun handling? 2.5 sec aim time on the Lorraine compared to the 100‘s 3 seconds, same accuracy. Thus I guess we can agree that the AMX 50 100 hasn‘t got any significant armor.

Yes it‘s comparing a T8 to a T9, nevertheless the 100 is absolutely inferior in any regard, plus it‘s a distance fighter, and as such relying on stealth. To cut down it‘s camo is what‘s hurting it the most. 0.20 while stationary and 0.10 while moving would have been fair for this tank. 

The AMX 50 100 is 

I said the 50-100 plays like a Medium, because it has no armor. So it cannot be a front line vehicle. That is what I was referring to when I said it plays like a medium. Or at least, this is the strategy I adopt when I play the 50-100. I am always laid back, and assist more than being at the top of offense. Especially when you consider that bottom Tier tanks pen you just as well.

The Lorraine is better speed wise, but with the long aim time, and relative penetration potential, it really plays like a true medium.

That being said, the Lorraine's armor bounces more shots than that of the 50-100....

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

wake_the_move #26 Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:19 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8117 battles

View PostP6X330, on 22 June 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

I said the 50-100 plays like a Medium, because it has no armor. So it cannot be a front line vehicle. That is what I was referring to when I said it plays like a medium. Or at least, this is the strategy I adopt when I play the 50-100. I am always laid back, and assist more than being at the top of offense. Especially when you consider that bottom Tier tanks pen you just as well.

The Lorraine is better speed wise, but with the long aim time, and relative penetration potential, it really plays like a true medium.

That being said, the Lorraine's armor bounces more shots than that of the 50-100....

Yes, but in order to be somewhat effective in that role a vehicle needs sufficient camo. The 100‘s camo rating has been reduced so drastically compared to 2012, that a camo net will not affect it. Even BoA, SA, Recon and coated optics will not even up compared, respectively surpassing the range it can be spotted. Thus that thing is way too easily spotted for being a fire assist.

Again the Lorraine has shorter aim time. 2.5 seconds. The AMX 50 100 got 3 seconds, which also hurts the fire rate during intra clip. If you are playing the Lorraine like a hit‘n‘run sniper you can install a gun laying drive and be on par with or better than most other mediums in case of aim time.

P6X330 #27 Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15311 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postwake_the_move, on 22 June 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

Yes, but in order to be somewhat effective in that role a vehicle needs sufficient camo. The 100‘s camo rating has been reduced so drastically compared to 2012, that a camo net will not affect it. Even BoA, SA, Recon and coated optics will not even up compared, respectively surpassing the range it can be spotted. Thus that thing is way too easily spotted for being a fire assist.

Again the Lorraine has shorter aim time. 2.5 seconds. The AMX 50 100 got 3 seconds, which also hurts the fire rate during intra clip. If you are playing the Lorraine like a hit‘n‘run sniper you can install a gun laying drive and be on par with or better than most other mediums in case of aim time.

Good or better camouflage is a facilitating ability, which I would certainly welcome if there was more, or if it was better for the 50-100. I need to work with what I have.

I am using this train of thoughts:

What are this tank's best quality, where should it be positioned to be the most effective in an engagement, with, or without allies at proximity.

If I put myself at the forefront of the battle, when I say forefront not armor's length, it is most likely that I will become the preferred target, being the easiest to penetrate. My return shots would always be hit or miss. I would deplete my hit points pool without really contributing anything to the team, other than being target of choice, and giving them an opportunity to shoot without being shot at.

Using the tank as a flanker is a cleverer way to look at things. I am not going to be stealthy, ever, I will be spotted. However, I will get a better opportunity to provide assistance to the front line being a distraction to the enemy, and providing some damage of my own.

If you watched the video in this thread, you can see how I operate away from the main engagements. I always sort of roam around, a bit like a shark, until I find a prey that is isolated enough to be put under stress.

As I said above, the Lorraine is somewhat easier to relocate, but it is still a dog with different fleas.

I would rather not get into the Gun Laying Drive discussion, because it is a highly controversial subject. Besides, I have not completely made up my mind about it. I have periods of time where I use it, and I remove it because I think I would be better off with Ventilation, since Ventilation works all the time, and Gun Laying Drive only works when you aim, and providing you do not move. Which does not mean it can be a perk in many situations.

Just one day ago, I had a one one one brawl with a Centurion 7/1 in my Lorraine 40t; I spotted it, he spotted me, and we played who will outwit the other on Heilbronn; he was positioned at the south/west corner of the H7 square. I was coming up the zero line, heading North.

He knew I was going to go around the mountain, and I knew he knew I was going to do that. I waited on J9, and sure enough, he appeared. He snapped shot me, I missed my first while moving to prevent him from aiming. I was wadding, kept shooting and hit him each time. Results: 5 hit, one pen. Then reload and we kept level, I was able to go around the rock on J6, while reloading, but I was one shot and he got me.

The obvious mistake on my part, was to trade on my alleged agility against a better armored medium. The Lorraine is still relatively a new tank for me, and I am testing it in different situations. That and of course the fact that I only have five trained competencies, one of them being Mentor. Mtr(BiA, 6S, SA, Rkn).

If I had had Slt Dr, Camo, I may have been able to spot him, and swing by unnoticed. That would have made a difference. I would have gone around, stayed far away from him, and put minimum one in his rear, possibly two. Of course we are in the hypothetical domain here.

If I had been in the 50-100, I would not have attempted a flanking maneuver.

I still like both tanks, Medium meta, but very much different...

Edited by P6X330, 23 June 2019 - 12:58 PM.

P6X330 #28 Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15311 battles
  • [AMXS]

Just a quick note, following another brawl with a T-69 now. I assume he was fully equipped; I am still in the Lorraine 40t, as described above.

This time, I won the confrontation, only because of my speed. He penned me with his 4 shots, I bounced twice.... we were both vulnerable.

But this is where the long intra-clip reload and long aim time of the Lorraine is really penalizing...

wake_the_move #29 Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8117 battles

@P6X330

I am familiar with such playstyle and tactics. What you are telling is nothing new to me. Yet the AMX in it‘s current state especially on the move is really hard to hide, especially if you on the other hand want to keep an eye on the enemy. Currently for the most part if you see the enemy, he most likely will see you, too especially upon a relocation attempt.

Regardless of being close or distant the AMX will always be a priority target for any average joe player, as they all know that this tank‘s armor is literally cardboard. Same issue with the Skorpion G and other glass cannons, where WG has not thought it through. Against T9+ tanks the AMX tends to bounds every other shot when facing their front, plus it‘s not really a good snap shooter either. 

High vulnerability demands a high amount of stealth (camoflague) and perception (view range) in return. By missing out on even just one of the two parts it will severely cripple the vehicle, as such only work really sufficient in combination. 

You can see the problem in matches. If one heavy tank has to stay back because of low/no armor, the team has one less frontline fighter. That hurts especially because it‘s a heavy. Now if that tank is also easily spotted and thereby suppressed thinks get from bad to worse. WG also gave other heavy tanks more and more armor, plus here and there mobility. 

WG only listened to the „fronline whiners“, and with it often totally neglected any vehicles that really on back line/sniping vehicles, thus put some of them even in major disadvantage.

Regarding the Gun Laying Drive, yes I would not put in inside a vehicle with an already good aim time. But at 3 seconds, or even above it might not be that waste of an equipment slot.

BlahCarnivore6 #30 Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:43 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9591 battles
  • [12PZR]
How are you all performing in this tank?

I noticed that playing second line or halfway between TD and heavy line is working really good. I have good matches and crap matches because it is a glass cannon.

Still grinding the for tier IV, so just checking in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users