How can we make the forum better?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

LadyTanker #1 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:17 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles

I started reading some older posts from the forum because that seemed a lot more interesting than what I've read from here lately. I noticed a much different attitude than what I've seen in the last year. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't voice their opinions or that they should agree with everything wg does so please don't get that idea from what I'm saying. I just didn't see that sort of thing from what I was reading. Maybe it was the forum still being somewhat new.  

I wasn't here when this thing got started, but I'm sure there was some of the same things that go on now (trolls, complaining, etc). I won't pretend it was perfect or that it can ever be quite the way it was. I will venture to say that everyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has been changed or marked in some way. I know I have been.

As long as I'm part of this forum, I'd like to make it better in some way. This is not an attempt at trying to save anything or pump people up. I've been there, done that. I guess this is more of a challenge to each of us. 

ThermalStone #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26639 battles
  • [80085]

It's pretty simple.  Make pinned megathreads for the common but really stupid or negative topics that pop up over and over again.  Topics like: 

Passive aggressive "I quit" threads

Small sample size freakouts

Matchmaking tin foil hatism

Light tank hate

And so on.

Moderators need to police the forum regularly, moving or deleting these inane rants.  We would see a lot more useful and positive topics on the front page.  Players asking for and giving advice, crowing about an achievement, or posting something creative.  

There is precedent for this.  The forum did it years ago with the arty megathread when arty complaints and memes got out of hand and choked the board.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

TocFanKe4 #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18972 battles
  • [GIRLS]
We used to have a down vote arrow, and good players used to call out incorrect nonsense by explaining in detail why the person was wrong.  The mods used to give people more leeway to do this. And warning points rolled off if you got a bit too vigorous in your argument.

Now you point out why a certain stat someone has makes their argument invalid, and you get in trouble.  True stat shaming is one thing, but actually using logical arguments in relation to someone's stats vs their argument is another.  You're yellow and I'm purple compared to you say capping wins you games but your cap points to cap competition ratio is weak.  That kinda thing.  Now both can get you in trouble depending on who's watching.

I'd gladly wait an extra minute for MM balance. 

milesizdead #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13621 battles

They’re not that bad compared to other games :)

What surprises me with WoT forums is the number of complain threads on issues which are mostly skill related. I don’t recall seeing that on other game  forums. 

Looking for a clan and/or tankers to platoon with on the EU server. Msg on XBL if you need a light tanker on your crew.

Tankatar #5 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 7656 battles
The forum has lost its shine in the past year or so.  Too much negativity and too few new participants. Lacks creative leadership from WoT, imo.

Edited by Tankatar, 12 October 2018 - 10:37 AM.

John Arrowsmith #6 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Major

• Players
  • 67560 battles
Many good players tried to make this a better place and help newer players.   They got shot down and banned for the efforts.  

This forum needs the Fake Marine

Snore,   the only person I know of that likes mushy peas in a taco with cinnamon sprinkles. 

Corrupted Ewok #7 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18517 battles
  • [REEK]

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

I will venture to say that everyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has been changed or marked in some way. I know I have been.

Nah. I was a sarcastic prick when I got here.

The forums have changed a lot since my arrival though. Thousands have come and gone. Great players looking to share tips, tricks and give advice. Enthusiastic people looking to spread word of the game via YouTube and other platforms. Class clowns looking to keep things light and fun. Some trolls that actually put a little effort into doing it properly. And there were a few who seemed to only find joy in the misery of others.

If you've been here a while and you look through the old threads you you find yourself recognising names and wondering wow, what ever happened to that guy? Little by little they moved on, some quietly in the night and some with an angry rant or forcible ejection. This is the result of mounting frustrations as the game gradually became more and more irritating coupled with the feeling that the people who had the power to make a difference, just weren't interested. This in turn created a less diverse community really only leaving the blindly loyal and the angry but living on nostalgia. The forum experience kind of lost its soul along the way.

From the first day to present the forum is almost like someone chronicled the death of optimism.

I want the old Chaffee back.

Lok-Vah-Koor!

Black RL #8 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 50066 battles
Strict moderation.

NEW FORUM CALLED RECYCLE BIN

This one receives all the hate, whining, I quit posts and whatnot.

DO NOT ALLOW INSULTS AND TRASH TALKING

If someone for example calls Wargaming or other forumers trash they get a ban. You can criticize, but be polite and constructive.

That’s all it needs to be better.

Gotta catch them all! ^^

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why.

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg

LazyCalf5928745 #9 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 55769 battles

i been here a long time , always felt ridiculed and worthless, but now i just get ignored . :hiding:

charge, spam n ram      https://www.youtube....2J-deIttJuo-0Yg

pr0fit0fcanabis #10 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 40296 battles
Most of It is not under our control.  The forum changed when the moderation rules changed.  What is under our control is a small slice, our tone.  Similar to what black rl  said, we can vigorously disagree with the argument being made by someone, but challenge the argument, don't attack the person.  A bit of editing once you have typed your rough draft works wonders. 

AJR568 #11 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16563 battles
  • [IMTLS]
New mods

Compliments and Credit to STLxSTANG for the sig.

The 8.11 TD rebalances need to be implemented.

T20 is love, T20 is life. And if you disagree I'll cut you!

AJR568 #12 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16563 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 12 October 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

Many good players tried to make this a better place and help newer players.   They got shot down and banned for the efforts.  

This. Because people didnt coddle others they got banned. So eventually everyone that attempted to help players just [edited]ed  off

Black RL #13 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:39 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 50066 battles

View Postpr0fit0fcanabis, on 12 October 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

Most of It is not under our control.  The forum changed when the moderation rules changed.  What is under our control is a small slice, our tone.  Similar to what black rl  said, we can vigorously disagree with the argument being made by someone, but challenge the argument, don't attack the person.  A bit of editing once you have typed your rough draft works wonders. 

Exactly, I don’t know if this is an US or “new generation” thing, but I can’t comprehend how an OFFICIAL forum allows trash taking, maybe I’m just getting old.

And some wonder why this is just an huge echo chamber, or why the devs don’t interact more, who wants to be insulted?

Gotta catch them all! ^^

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why.

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg

CyberGopher #14 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 16928 battles

View PostLadyTanker, on 11 October 2018 - 10:17 PM, 

...This is not an attempt at trying to save anything or pump people up. I've been there, done that...

You’ve been where and done what exactly? 

M4ntiX #15 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20032 battles
This forum is a direct reflection of the players' dissatisfaction with the game. Considering how many people are not happy with the recent changes and decisions WG has made over the past few months, it's no surprise the forum has become 'gloomy.'
I may not be the most experienced forumer, but I've been following the posts here for years and I can tell you, you'd have to be blind not to see the difference.
If you want to make the forum better, make the game better, positive change will then come naturally.
On the other hand, to those who are still active and are trying to help, I salute you! 'We' are still very civilized comparing to other gaming communities. :)

LadyTanker #16 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles

View PostLazyCalf5928745, on 12 October 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

i been here a long time , always felt ridiculed and worthless, but now i just get ignored . :hiding:

Well, maybe you're just joking, but you're not alone in feeling that way if you're not kidding. I've commented in plenty of topics without anyone acknowledging I said anything. I wouldn't take it personally though. It just happens. 

Black RL #17 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 50066 battles

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Well, maybe you're just joking, but you're not alone in feeling that way if you're not kidding. I've commented in plenty of topics without anyone acknowledging I said anything. I wouldn't take it personally though. It just happens. 

Like I said, WHO WANTS TO BE INSULTED?

Gotta catch them all! ^^

AJR568 #18 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16563 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostM4ntiX, on 12 October 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

This forum is a direct reflection of the players' dissatisfaction with the game. Considering how many people are not happy with the recent changes and decisions WG has made over the past few months, it's no surprise the forum has become 'gloomy.'
I may not be the most experienced forumer, but I've been following the posts here for years and I can tell you, you'd have to be blind not to see the difference.
If you want to make the forum better, make the game better, positive change will then come naturally.
On the other hand, to those who are still active and are trying to help, I salute you! 'We' are still very civilized comparing to other gaming communities. :)

The forums got worse when mainstays like Joco and Icesev stopped commenting as much. Honestly the last 2 or 3 years the forums and the entire game have been apathetic.

Kind of like WG's decisions for the game. Seems like they dont care anymore either. 

LadyTanker #19 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles

View PostCyberGopher, on 12 October 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

You’ve been where and done what exactly? 

I made the game and forum too important in my life and at times my emotions have led me around in that regard. 

AJR568 #20 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16563 battles
  • [IMTLS]

View PostBlack RL, on 12 October 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

Like I said, WHO WANTS TO BE INSULTED?

Some people just make it easy...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users