Jump to content


How can we make the forum better?


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Corrupted Ewok #41 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 18517 battles
  • 4,188
  • [REEK]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

I've only been on the pc forum a few times so I couldn't really give a worthwhile opinion on that, but it does seem from their following and how people have talked about their community here that they are at least a little more satisfied with their game. That's just my point of view of someone on the outside looking in. I can't say how many posts I've read from here asking that console do the same as them. And even on the WOWSL forum, I've seen people wanting the console game to stay with the pc version. So at the very least, the pc developers have made something people are wanting to be reproduced on console.

That's a big part of where the frustration comes from. Our devs fumble around trying to figure out how one part is supposed to clip onto another when they could simply read the instructions. The PC devs have a comprehensive understanding of the game and the vision of what it was meant to be. Our guys are really just coders for hire. I guess the term "mercenaries" has been a problem around here longer than we'd realised.

 

I stepped out of the shooty boats alpha because I'm not prepared to dedicate a lot of time to another set of deaf ears for another 5 years. Phil does seem a bit more connected with the testers than I ever saw around here though, so maybe I over reacted.


I want the old Chaffee back.

 

Lok-Vah-Koor!


LadyTanker #42 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View PostCorrupted Ewok, on 12 October 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

That's a big part of where the frustration comes from. Our devs fumble around trying to figure out how one part is supposed to clip onto another when they could simply read the instructions. The PC devs have a comprehensive understanding of the game and the vision of what it was meant to be. Our guys are really just coders for hire. I guess the term "mercenaries" has been a problem around here longer than we'd realised.

 

I stepped out of the shooty boats alpha because I'm not prepared to dedicate a lot of time to another set of deaf ears for another 5 years. Phil does seem a bit more connected with the testers than I ever saw around here though, so maybe I over reacted.

 

I'm probably going to do the same to be honest. I just got accepted the other day as an alpha tester and have already got a thread closed. I really think there was some misunderstanding on their part. They thought I meant something different and decided I was duplicating something when I wasn't. And also no one has answered my question on how to move my boat either so I really am not going to spend my time doing the same thing on the controller only to get the same result and frustration.

Corrupted Ewok #43 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 18517 battles
  • 4,188
  • [REEK]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

 

I'm probably going to do the same to be honest. I just got accepted the other day as an alpha tester and have already got a thread closed. I really think there was some misunderstanding on their part. They thought I meant something different and decided I was duplicating something when I wasn't. And also no one has answered my question on how to move my boat either so I really am not going to spend my time doing the same thing on the controller only to get the same result and frustration.

 

You can't move your ship? Like the controls aren't responding or you don't know what the controls are?

I want the old Chaffee back.

 

Lok-Vah-Koor!


steelheadclan #44 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14335 battles
  • 3,438
  • Member since:
    03-05-2017

View PostLadyTanker, on 11 October 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

I started reading some older posts from the forum because that seemed a lot more interesting than what I've read from here lately. I noticed a much different attitude than what I've seen in the last year. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't voice their opinions or that they should agree with everything wg does so please don't get that idea from what I'm saying. I just didn't see that sort of thing from what I was reading. Maybe it was the forum still being somewhat new.  

 

I wasn't here when this thing got started, but I'm sure there was some of the same things that go on now (trolls, complaining, etc). I won't pretend it was perfect or that it can ever be quite the way it was. I will venture to say that everyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has been changed or marked in some way. I know I have been.

 

As long as I'm part of this forum, I'd like to make it better in some way. This is not an attempt at trying to save anything or pump people up. I've been there, done that. I guess this is more of a challenge to each of us. 

 

 

 

lol

 

we could all share information about what we’re wearing. 

 

:)


 


The Big G BO #45 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 80729 battles
  • 452
  • Member since:
    02-24-2014
Good morning all, if you were here I would serve you a cup of coffee. Its a good thing to be kind and respectful, but whining will be with us always, it's human nature. Truth be told, we all whine from time to time. Fighting is a result of people wanting something deeply and not getting it. One day your tank is OP, then change. People don't like change because it's like starting all over, a new discovery period and your tank is the one shorted. Someone wants arty gone, but arty enjoys playing arty. There are people who play strictly arty. Everybody lusts (wants) different things: better players, no RNG, reduced lights ect....  When the developers give one group something, the resulting affect, it takes away from some other group of tanks. Frustration comes with the change. So play for fun, it's not worth having a heart attack caused by things we can't control. But we can be kind to one another, even when we voice frustrations and concerns. Anyway, have a great weekend. One more piece of advice, if you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning. :teethhappy:

LadyTanker #46 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View PostCorrupted Ewok, on 12 October 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

 

You can't move your ship? Like the controls aren't responding or you don't know what the controls are?

 

I haven't been able to get it to move from the starting point. I've at least got it to fire on enemy ships, but that's about all I've figured out how to do so far.



Corrupted Ewok #47 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 18517 battles
  • 4,188
  • [REEK]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

 

I haven't been able to get it to move from the starting point. I've at least got it to fire on enemy ships, but that's about all I've figured out how to do so far.

 

If I remember rightly you tap A to increase speed and B to decrease. It takes several taps to go full ahead. There are control settings in the start menu.

I want the old Chaffee back.

 

Lok-Vah-Koor!


Neurotic Cell #48 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 21681 battles
  • 6,775
  • [FLT]
  • Member since:
    12-14-2013

View PostCorrupted Ewok, on 12 October 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

 

Nah. I was a sarcastic prick when I got here.

 

The forums have changed a lot since my arrival though. Thousands have come and gone. Great players looking to share tips, tricks and give advice. Enthusiastic people looking to spread word of the game via YouTube and other platforms. Class clowns looking to keep things light and fun. Some trolls that actually put a little effort into doing it properly. And there were a few who seemed to only find joy in the misery of others.

 

If you've been here a while and you look through the old threads you you find yourself recognising names and wondering wow, what ever happened to that guy? Little by little they moved on, some quietly in the night and some with an angry rant or forcible ejection. This is the result of mounting frustrations as the game gradually became more and more irritating coupled with the feeling that the people who had the power to make a difference, just weren't interested. This in turn created a less diverse community really only leaving the blindly loyal and the angry but living on nostalgia. The forum experience kind of lost its soul along the way.

 

From the first day to present the forum is almost like someone chronicled the death of optimism.

 

Wow, that’s a pretty tight synopsis!  +1!

"Win or lose, naught to choose - all men are equal when their memory fades. No one knows, friends or foes, if Valhalla lies beyond the grave." - Motörhead “Deaf Forever”


EL3PHANT RID3RS #49 Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 23389 battles
  • 3,898
  • [FLT]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013
The forum will be a mess as long as the game is a mess.

CyberGopher #50 Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16999 battles
  • 1,453
  • Member since:
    01-24-2016

View Poststeelheadclan, on 12 October 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

 

lol

 

we could all share information about what we’re wearing. 

 

:)

 

Oh!  I’ll start.

 

I’m in my uniform at the moment but as soon as I’m home I’ll most likely be wearing nothing but a cup of coffee, a peanut butter sandwich and a single slice of bacon (raw) wrapped around my junk.  Maybe slippers.

 

As soon as I play WOT I’ll add camouflage paint and my old tankers helmet for realism.  I’ll replace the bacon with an old wristwatch.


 

 

 


LadyTanker #51 Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:58 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View Poststeelheadclan, on 12 October 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

 

lol

 

we could all share information about what we’re wearing. 

 

:)

 

No, I think a lot of us may end up traumatized by that. :trollface:

IBROX 04 #52 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 18318 battles
  • 7,018
  • [BNKR]
  • Member since:
    11-10-2014

 

Aaron William Murray                    Forever in our hearts

 

 

 


LadyTanker #53 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View PostIBROX 04, on 12 October 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

 

Cool! Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to add this song to my playlist. 



GrooIsNoLackey #54 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:22 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16041 battles
  • 159
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014
Don't allow anyone to post on forum who hasn't logged into the game in the last 7 days. I am soooo tired of reading quit rants. People start conversations with the nerf bat killed my tank and haven't played the game in 4 months. Stop comparing console to PC. It's not the same mechanics, not the same play style and not the same game. It never can be. 

Doctor_Who_22 #55 Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 13351 battles
  • 2,879
  • [-WHO-]
  • Member since:
    12-04-2015

The forums are still a fairly good place, especially compared to other games. The biggest problem here is that everyone seems to just want to complain or put everyone and WG down. When I first started comign to the forums back when WoT was first introduced on PS4, it was a very helpful place with a lot of new players, ideas, and comments. Lately, it seems to be the same complaints and topics over and over and over again, and many are very negative.

 

Heck, the last 12 months or so I've been very vocal about how much I dislike WGCB and some of their decisions. But I'm done with the complaining for the most part. I'm here to have fun and enjoy a game that has been easily my favorite game of all time. So I'm going to make an effort to be more positive and fun in the forums - if I want to get depressed or aggravated I can simply read the news.

 

My first idea to have some fun and make things a little more entertaining is to put out a bounty on myself - see my comment in my signature and there a separate topic all about it. It should be fun and a few players can get some extra cash. I'm not going to spend money on this game anymore (for various reasons), but that doesn't mean I cant have fun and even give some of my money back to the community in a different way.


Beware the Banshee Comet! According to Irish folklore, a Banshee is a ghost-like creature that wails (keens) to warn you of your impending death. However on the battlefield, the last screams you hear will be your own!   

 

NOTE - I am taking a temporary leave from playing World of Tanks due to certain family obligations. I hope to see many of you back out in battle soon!

 


Afro Palestine #56 Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 51417 battles
  • 3,741
  • [HKC]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

I started reading some older posts from the forum because that seemed a lot more interesting than what I've read from here lately. I noticed a much different attitude than what I've seen in the last year. I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't voice their opinions or that they should agree with everything wg does so please don't get that idea from what I'm saying. I just didn't see that sort of thing from what I was reading. Maybe it was the forum still being somewhat new.  

 

I wasn't here when this thing got started, but I'm sure there was some of the same things that go on now (trolls, complaining, etc). I won't pretend it was perfect or that it can ever be quite the way it was. I will venture to say that everyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has been changed or marked in some way. I know I have been.

 

As long as I'm part of this forum, I'd like to make it better in some way. This is not an attempt at trying to save anything or pump people up. I've been there, done that. I guess this is more of a challenge to each of us. 

 

 

 

Rose colored glasses.  And human nature.   When the game is new there is nothing to complain about, as there is nothing to compare it to.   As the game ages and changes complaints rise because changes are based on revenue stream, not on making the game better or more playable.  WG has made some very poor game mechanic and style changes, which gives rise to negative reactions.    Even so, as it is the Forum is doing what it intended to do, as well as can be expected for what is , after all, just a video game.  

 

If you want to avoid negativity, just avoid the General Discussion folder and join the conversation in the other dedicated folders.   Or start a coffee table folder that disallows complainers.



Capn Ratchet45 #57 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18231 battles
  • 951
  • Member since:
    09-05-2015

  Stop judging peoples stats the second you disagree with what they've posted. Seriously, I get that you are better at the game than most, but you're also the MINORITY.

  When the super unis resort to stats EVERY single time there is a disagreement between players, you not only are insulting the person you may be having an argument with, but the MAJORITY of the playerbase who share similar stats. (and for many different reasons I might add).

  Who wants to post on a forum that redicules and calls out lesser skilled players the second there is a disagreement? You need to help them see the light, not close the cellar door on em. There are a handful of pretty well respected individuals with tons of experience and skill at this game around here who are constantly dismissive of others ideas and the retort to those ideas is usually something along the lines of 'get gud'. Stat this, stat that.

  There is more to a proper discussion than purely who's better at farming wn8 and w/r. Remember, without all of the 50%ers and below, that you don't have any players to farm, or a game to play for that matter. Those people are the majority who PAY to keep this game alive, make them feel unwelcome or unwanted and watch your beloved game/forum disappear. This MAJORITY deserves to have some input on how the game is developed without living in fear of having an e peen contest the second there is a disagreement !! 

  Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather be on the red team!



LadyTanker #58 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:12 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View PostCapn Ratchet45, on 12 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

  Stop judging peoples stats the second you disagree with what they've posted. Seriously, I get that you are better at the game than most, but you're also the MINORITY.

  When the super unis resort to stats EVERY single time there is a disagreement between players, you not only are insulting the person you may be having an argument with, but the MAJORITY of the playerbase who share similar stats. (and for many different reasons I might add).

  Who wants to post on a forum that redicules and calls out lesser skilled players the second there is a disagreement? You need to help them see the light, not close the cellar door on em. There are a handful of pretty well respected individuals with tons of experience and skill at this game around here who are constantly dismissive of others ideas and the retort to those ideas is usually something along the lines of 'get gud'. Stat this, stat that.

  There is more to a proper discussion than purely who's better at farming wn8 and w/r. Remember, without all of the 50%ers and below, that you don't have any players to farm, or a game to play for that matter. Those people are the majority who PAY to keep this game alive, make them feel unwelcome or unwanted and watch your beloved game/forum disappear. This MAJORITY deserves to have some input on how the game is developed without living in fear of having an e peen contest the second there is a disagreement !! 

  Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather be on the red team!

 

I hear you and agree to a point. I only know of one person here who has seemed to make a purposeful attempt to shame anyone who has lower stats.  I'm not saying there aren't more, but only one I can think of at the moment. The others who are good players and who will bring stats into the conversation usually do so because the person they're talking to pretends they really have no problems with a particular tank or way of playing. It may be blunt and may seem harsh to some to hear the truth, but sometimes that is the best way. When people have beat around the bush with me and didn't really point out any problems, it didn't help me. Maybe that kind of example is not what you are talking about. I just think if someone wants to do better at anything, they need to be willing to see how bad they really are first. I personally think that what gets in most people's way is thinking they're really not all that bad.

 

Anyway, just some thoughts on that.

 

I also wanted to comment on what you said about those good players needing the 50% players to farm. I think I understand what you're saying, but those kind of players you're talking about can still farm the players who are as good as them or better. It might be more competitive for them if more players were at their level, but they'd still be able to perform well because of the tactics they use. 

 



Black RL #59 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 50169 battles
  • 1,743
  • Member since:
    09-16-2013

View PostLadyTanker, on 12 October 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

I personally think that what gets in most people's way is thinking they're really not all that bad.

 

I also wanted to comment on what you said about those good players needing the 50% players to farm. I think I understand what you're saying, but those kind of players you're talking about can still farm the players who are as good as them or better. It might be more competitive for them if more players were at their level, but they'd still be able to perform well because of the tactics they use.

 

I think that what gets people the most is being dismissed just because of stats. It’s like saying that you can’t argue anything, cars, tv, sports, science, etc unless you’re an expert of the field.

 

That’s mathematical impossible to achieve, in order for someone to win others have to lose. If at some point only good players are left playing the game, some of them will start to be the bad ones.

 

What changes is the difficulty of the barrier of entry for new players.


Gotta catch them all! ^^

 

My hateful 4: Food a p2w mechanism, New player experience vs veteran player, Are overpowered premium tanks p2w? and Why World of Tanks can't shake off being perceived as a p2w game. About RNG: RNG affects the outcome of games, here's why.

 

See what happens to your tank in real time when you use equipment, supplies or crew skills in tanks.gg


LadyTanker #60 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 2,733
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View PostBlack RL, on 12 October 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

 

I think that what gets people the most is being dismissed just because of stats. It’s like saying that you can’t argue anything, cars, tv, sports, science, etc unless you’re an expert of the field.

 

That’s mathematical impossible to achieve, in order for someone to win others have to lose. If at some point only good players are left playing the game, some of them will start to be the bad ones.

 

What changes is the difficulty of the barrier of entry for new players.

 

Being dismissed because of your stats is one thing. Coming here and telling ofhers how to play when you can't survive most of the time is another. And I think we can agree that if you hear someone like that, you won't be taking their advice much. 

 

Yes, someone has to lose. I was just thinking of an example of someone who plays really well. If they played with others at their skill level, someone would lose, but I have no doubt that both players would still perform well and end up closer to a tie. Maybe not every single time, but the games would be pretty close most of the time I imagine. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users