Citadel a reference to Micheal Wittman

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

xN0Vix #1 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:19 AM

Private

• Players
  • 937 battles
So I haven't read the comics related to this tank but I have noticed that this is supposed to be a reference to the first tiger German tank ace Micheal Wittman commanded, tiger 1331 which he commanded during operation "Zitadel" or Citadel in English. In the game Citadel has the Number 1331 written on the side of the turret. I honestly didn't notice this for quite awhile cause I thought it was B31. Most without any knowledge of Wittman wouldn't notice this and I love the reference to the greatest tank ace in history. 

Sovietdeath #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:30 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 15134 battles

View PostxN0Vix, on 11 October 2018 - 11:19 PM, said:

So I haven't read the comics related to this tank but I have noticed that this is supposed to be a reference to the first tiger German tank ace Micheal Wittman commanded, tiger 1331 which he commanded during operation "Zitadel" or Citadel in English. In the game Citadel has the Number 1331 written on the side of the turret. I honestly didn't notice this for quite awhile cause I thought it was B31. Most without any knowledge of Wittman wouldn't notice this and I love the reference to the greatest tank ace in history. 

Yeah it's subtle because of the fact of his affiliation within the political machine, thus why his name is never mentioned (and has been scrubbed over time from things like the Devestator Medal, which was originally Wittman's Medal on PC)

Albapfalzd3 #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 16432 battles

While it is undoubtedly in reference to his tank they took pains to make it "different". They left it in an all grey scheme which is a no no for all but the very earliest of Tiger Tanks which this one was not and they used a sloppily applied 1331 when on the real one it was neatly stenciled in a different font and color. In the end though it is a pretty good Tier VI heavy and an "Accurate" WWII Tiger albeit an early one. Tiger 217 should be a Mid Version and if done correctly at a minimum will have zimmerit coating, no Feifel Air cleaners and a smaller cast cupola instead of the Drum type found on 1331. 

Roy

Panzer Cmndr #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 7716 battles
I get so sick of political correctness run amok. History happened, deal with it. Scrubbing over it doesnt do anything but make people ignorant of history.

German armor and German armor only, nothing else will do...

XEboi #5 Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20093 battles

View PostPanzer Cmndr, on 12 October 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

I get so sick of political correctness run amok. History happened, deal with it. Scrubbing over it doesnt do anything but make people ignorant of history.

Damn right 

Highlordwurm #6 Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16101 battles
  • [54-40]

Those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.  I thought that's what remembrance day was all about, making sure we don't forget.  We NEED to remember this dark time and those who stood against it.

I think that there are reasons to expunge certain people from history for the most heinous of crimes, and it is harder to find anything more heinous than the final solution, but, we have seen this practice in use:  The Maoists and the Bolsheviks were VERY fond of erasing people from history and each of those groups killed WAY more (of their own)people than the nutzis did... Oops! there I go, learning from history, again!  I guess the balance is to never forget, but definitely do not glorify these criminals...and maybe making them a character in a video game and putting their name on a medal was not the best way to remember without glorifying....

chad6blue #7 Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13264 battles
They do refer to Wittman in the comic with this tank making bets on how many t34s he will take out.

AKalashnikovT #8 Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:29 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11460 battles
  • [ASH]

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 12 October 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

While it is undoubtedly in reference to his tank they took pains to make it "different". They left it in an all grey scheme which is a no no for all but the very earliest of Tiger Tanks which this one was not and they used a sloppily applied 1331 when on the real one it was neatly stenciled in a different font and color. In the end though it is a pretty good Tier VI heavy and an "Accurate" WWII Tiger albeit an early one. Tiger 217 should be a Mid Version and if done correctly at a minimum will have zimmerit coating, no Feifel Air cleaners and a smaller cast cupola instead of the Drum type found on 1331. 

Roy

It was not neatly stenciled [edited], it is written exactly as it was on Whittmans real tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users