Brothers in Arms too hard for new players

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Xenith_Inc #1 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6100 battles

If you're in a low tier stock tank. You know, that a new player would be using, you're not gonna have a good time.

As far as we know, you get one completion on easy mode, then it cranks the difficulty up to 11, regardless of your tank. 

WG, Please reconsider the difficulty of this mode. I played it as a break from multiplayer to try and get some XP on my awful stock tank, and this happened. 

Skip to 05:15 for the TL: DR version. 

Edited by Xenith_Inc, 12 October 2018 - 07:53 AM.

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

My YouTube Channel

Jope2209 #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24822 battles
You were outplayed by bot arty.

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

3 MoE tanks: T-34, Pz IVH, Tiger I, Pz.Kpfw. T 25

Poll - Choose your least preferred map (removed maps* included, Nomonhan map added to Poll)

MASHMAN 90 #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 30800 battles

View PostXenith_Inc, on 12 October 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

If you're in a low tier stock tank. You know, that a new player would be using, you're not gonna have a good time.

As far as we know, you get one completion on easy mode, then it cranks the difficulty up to 11, regardless of your tank. 

WG, Please reconsider the difficulty of this mode. I played it as a break from multiplayer to try and get some XP on my awful stock tank, and this happened. 

Agreed, i go for the Bots first to try and limit the guns firing at my team but in a STOCK T69, i only managed to save 2 Allies which isn't enough for the Bonus. I blame the people who complained it was too easy, unfortunately couldn't leave well enough alone then WG nerfed it. PvE isn't meant to be tough/impossible, it was meant as a stress free alternate from Multiplayer.

If you read this WG, please add Difficulties, For Insane Difficulty you get Multiplayer XP as you deserve it, Hard = 75%, Intermediate = 50%, Easy = 25%. Easy would mean the enemies wouldn't put up much resistance at all. Intermediate as it was before, Hard as it is now and Insane would almost be impossible hence Multiplayer XP. Your allies would also improve for each difficulty but enemies would be superior, On Easy the Allies Aim and Accuracy would be SO BAD that you have to virtually do all the work. Also on Easy Difficulty the Artillery takes two hits to kill someone or worsen the RNG and take one hit as 100% RNG isn't a good representation of Multiplayer.

That way you please everyone and you get more XP, the worse the difficulty which is the way it should be. The Difficulty would be in Options.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/

Disclaimer Below, If you choose not to read it and see my guesses as factual then it's not my problem

Wakkomaster #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11577 battles

View PostMASHMAN 90, on 12 October 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

If you read this WG, please add Difficulties, For Insane Difficulty you get Multiplayer XP as you deserve it, Hard = 75%, Intermediate = 50%, Easy = 25%. Easy would mean the enemies wouldn't put up much resistance at all. Intermediate as it was before, Hard as it is now and Insane would almost be impossible hence Multiplayer XP. Your allies would also improve for each difficulty but enemies would be superior, On Easy the Allies Aim and Accuracy would be SO BAD that you have to virtually do all the work. Also on Easy Difficulty the Artillery takes two hits to kill someone or worsen the RNG and take one hit as 100% RNG isn't a good representation of Multiplayer.

I like the idea of difficulty levels with different rewards, Mashman, and yours is well developed too. 

However it's probably easier to adjust the number and tier of allies and enemies to scale with the difficulty level, rather than tinker with RNG factors like accuracy. Want it easier? Increase the tier of a couple of green tanks ad lower a couple of reds, or swap some mediums for heavies and viceversa. Look for a challenge? Take away one of the green mediums and add a red light. Otherwise you should change both the greens and reds' behaviours to scale with the difficulty, making them more or less aggressive, implementing different levels of AI setups, test them, tweak them and so on. It sounds like a lot of work for the devs. 

In the end I think the largest factor with the difficulty of Challenge Mode War Stories lies with the random choice of green and reds: for instance in The Heist/The Setup getting a Type 4 Heavy Tank instead of an AMX 50 120 can seriously change the balance, as they're very different vehicles. so you can be lucky and get a good set of allies against mediocre enemies, or be extremely unlucky and end up in a lost battle.

Talking about Live Fire Exercise, there are games when during phase 1 I saw my two green teammates being obliterated by 4 german lights, and there are some where they endure the assault of five mediums.

Beside, don't forget that each War Story was created with a tank or a specific tank class in mind. For instance I believe the Connosseur is more suitable for Light Tanks but I've completed it with fast autoloaders too since you can retreat to reload anytme you need to, while you definetely need a tank with sustained damage and a good rate of fire for Live Fire Exercise as the enemies keep coming in waves with no time to catch your breath. By choosing an ill suited vehicle for a war-story you're already making it more challenging that it has to be.

Currently playing World of Tanks on:

Xbox - Wakkomaster

You can also find me on:

Playstation - Wakkopresi

PC - Wakkomaster

MASHMAN 90 #5 Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 30800 battles

View PostWakkomaster, on 12 October 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

I like the idea of difficulty levels with different rewards, Mashman, and yours is well developed too. 

However it's probably easier to adjust the number and tier of allies and enemies to scale with the difficulty level, rather than tinker with RNG factors like accuracy. Want it easier? Increase the tier of a couple of green tanks ad lower a couple of reds, or swap some mediums for heavies and viceversa. Look for a challenge? Take away one of the green mediums and add a red light. Otherwise you should change both the greens and reds' behaviours to scale with the difficulty, making them more or less aggressive, implementing different levels of AI setups, test them, tweak them and so on. It sounds like a lot of work for the devs. 

In the end I think the largest factor with the difficulty of Challenge Mode War Stories lies with the random choice of green and reds: for instance in The Heist/The Setup getting a Type 4 Heavy Tank instead of an AMX 50 120 can seriously change the balance, as they're very different vehicles. so you can be lucky and get a good set of allies against mediocre enemies, or be extremely unlucky and end up in a lost battle.

Talking about Live Fire Exercise, there are games when during phase 1 I saw my two green teammates being obliterated by 4 german lights, and there are some where they endure the assault of five mediums.

Beside, don't forget that each War Story was created with a tank or a specific tank class in mind. For instance I believe the Connosseur is more suitable for Light Tanks but I've completed it with fast autoloaders too since you can retreat to reload anytme you need to, while you definetely need a tank with sustained damage and a good rate of fire for Live Fire Exercise as the enemies keep coming in waves with no time to catch your breath. By choosing an ill suited vehicle for a war-story you're already making it more challenging that it has to be.

True, my idea could be tweaked of course but LFE is more for newbies to get them to learn how to shoot. That would be Easy Difficulty, If players want a Challenge, they could try Hard or Insane. Would be down to Player Choice which is the way it should me, we also no longer have 50 GB problem so that isn't a factor anymore.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/

Disclaimer Below, If you choose not to read it and see my guesses as factual then it's not my problem

Ronin Gaidin #6 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 30560 battles

For LFE I've learned two important things.

The first is that I don't bother taking in any tank that can't take a few hits. That means no lights, and no lightly armored anything else. The way the bots swarm these days is ridiculous. Even if you do really well you are going to get hit a couple times. Need a tank with enough armor or HP to take it. 

The second is don't accept a bunch of Light tanks as your team mates. Immediately upon loading in, look at your team. If it is full of lights and bereft of Heavies, quit back to the garage. Especially if your first two allies are both Lights - you need them to have more health/armor to have any chance of saving them. Teams full of mediums can be OK. But I'm not bothering if all of my allies out in the valley are lights, since there is no way any of them will survive. (Note: this point assumes you are running higher tiers, VIII of IX. In the very low tiers Lights as allies is all you will ever get. But I never play super low tiers in WS). 

On a related note, I am 10 wins away from completing Storyteller XI (the final one). Gets a full 30 days of Premium Time and 15 Large Kits (5 of each). :great:

XT356 #7 Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5900 battles
https://xboxdvr.com/.../video/62009718

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"

Xenith_Inc #8 Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 6100 battles

View PostJope2209, on 12 October 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

You were outplayed by bot arty.

I know. As soon as I saw that gun stop wiggling I knew in my heart that I was spotted, but my head didn't want to believe it.

Serves me right for not attempting the first mission with a multi skill crew.

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

My YouTube Channel

XGR369er #9 Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34284 battles

View PostRonin Gaidin, on 12 October 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

For LFE I've learned two important things.

The first is that I don't bother taking in any tank that can't take a few hits. That means no lights, and no lightly armored anything else. The way the bots swarm these days is ridiculous. Even if you do really well you are going to get hit a couple times. Need a tank with enough armor or HP to take it. 

The second is don't accept a bunch of Light tanks as your team mates. Immediately upon loading in, look at your team. If it is full of lights and bereft of Heavies, quit back to the garage. Especially if your first two allies are both Lights - you need them to have more health/armor to have any chance of saving them. Teams full of mediums can be OK. But I'm not bothering if all of my allies out in the valley are lights, since there is no way any of them will survive. (Note: this point assumes you are running higher tiers, VIII of IX. In the very low tiers Lights as allies is all you will ever get. But I never play super low tiers in WS). 

On a related note, I am 10 wins away from completing Storyteller XI (the final one). Gets a full 30 days of Premium Time and 15 Large Kits (5 of each). :great:

yeah it does kind of suck that you can't run a light, medium or td that doesn't have any armor easily.  The laser accurate shots they get just gets old and annoying and the fact that you get no help with the last three tanks except for the bot on the hill, which gets blasted by the grills more then not, is rough.  

f1mitku #10 Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 36456 battles
In the last update from yesterday we've received another AI buff for the red bots (in addition to their OPAF auto-aim/accuracy/no-RNG) plus it was additionally completed with green bots AI nerf and yet another lowering the RNG possibility to receive armored green bots in the beginning. Now it's pretty usual to get all green bots as lights, or for instance in T-VIII - 3-4 LTTB and 3-4 Obj.416. Why I never receive 7 IS-3/KV-4?

ushuaia ice #11 Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14319 battles
  • [BULL4]
<a href='https://i.postimg.cc/Qx2vph9v/IMG-20181102-060020.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>https://i.postimg.cc...1102-060020.jpg</a>

aegisbm #12 Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3442 battles

Live Fire Exercise is just too random to complete consistently, sometimes your bots get slaughtered, sometimes they do the slaughter and dont let you rack up damage and kills, and the last 3 red bots  are so erratic sometimes they will let you live in a light or medium while other times they will wreck your heavy sniping your weakpoints all day long with laser accuracy while on the move even killing u instantly by blowing up your ammo or setting u on fire, I recommend trying other missions instead, in my experience the best ones are

kennedys war

The first mission is pretty easy, you get nice support from your bots, no enemy arty and most of the red bots are lower tier and only come 2  or 3 at a time until the last 5,but by then you should outnumber them, as long as u dont stand in the open letting them shoot you it is  pretty easy and quick

The Second mission is also pretty easy and fast but since you are required to stand in the open it is recommended for tanks with good armor

Flashpoint Berlin

The second mission is moderately easy and fast for any thank, since your bots are always British you get awesome support from heavies and AT line destroyers which the red bots find extremely hard to kill, just hang back a bit and let them draw fire while you farm damage, just make sure to be on the lookout because the 2 arty that spawn love to focus on you once spotted, just make sure to send your bots in first

The Connoisseur 

Another easy mission although not as fast since you are required to wander around the map, also you might need to be a bit aggressive because your bots are quite competent most of the time, just be careful towards the end because the last wave spawns 2 arty 

The Heist

The first mission is hands down the best for farming xp, tons of red bots to farm and most are lower tier , no arty and also no health or ammo pick up restriction the only drawbacks are that since there are so many enemies is easy to get in a bad spot or get ambushed because although you have awesome support on paper (your bots spawn japanese and british heavies, mercs and autoloaders) in reality they are pretty dumb and passive most of the time, so you have to be very tactical  in your approach, unless you bring something with good armor in which case you can just steamroll everything in your path while laughing maniacally, fun stuff

Now I have seen a few people recommending other missions but again in my experience it is hard to finish them consistently, those are

Brothers in Armor

The first mission for the reasons I stated earlier

The second mission takes way too long and is easy to get focused on and killed at the end unless you babysit your bots which again takes time and patience because most of the time they wont follow orders and are pretty dumb

The third mission has 3 german TD that you need to kill which are very dangerous, also it spawns 3 bosses at the end that are very aggressive, gives good xp but it is very risky

Flashpoint Berlin

The first mission is fast and easy enough but arty loves to ruin your day, also the last wave of red bots are ultra aggressive and love focusing on you,  your TDs love ignoring your orders and are happy just camping their spawn, farmeable mission but risky

The third mission loves to spawn a 2 tiers higher soviet Heavy as the boss, yeah, good luck with that

Operation sealion

Second mission arty gives you a lot of love, also the whole enemy line likes to rush your team once spotted 

The third mission is pretty easy until the end when it spawns a 2 tiers higher German Heavy with arty support as the boss,  no thanks

Tigerfibel

The time limit is pretty tight but the main drawback is that before escaping the factory you need to deal with 4 german lights at the same time one of which is a same tier/one tier  higher and ultra aggressive, they can wreck you even in a though heavy, also the last enemy that spawn right in front of the escape point seems to like shooting your weakspots only

Potemkin

Seems pretty easy since you have lots of support and no health/ammo pick up restrictions, until the last wave when it spawns a bunch of heavies with 3 arty as support, if you manage to destroy them the mission rewards you with a 2 tiers higher German Heavy as the final boss

The Heist

the second mission plays much like first one lots of enemies with great xp gain and good support from your bots however what cripples this is that you need to kill the last five bots that spawn and some of them love to run away and hide when you start gaining the upper hand, making you run out  of time hunting them down

The third mission is fair until the part where you have to guard the submarine, if your bots are under-performing or not in good position to support you , you are going to get wrecked by the ultra aggressive last wave which spawn with laser guided arty support 

Well did not intended to write as much as I did, I hope this wall of text might be to use to someone

pilotguy79 #13 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12630 battles
  • [S_W]

Lfe is quite easy to finish even in horrible tanks. I’d put a video up. But I’d be afraid wg would watch and change the map or something. 

Once you engage the 3rd wave on the open field side . Do not engage them from where the sniper sits. Move up past the static Sherman and extra ammo . There is a bump on the cliff edge you can fight from. 

1. Kill one arty . Only one!

2. Clean up the 3rd wave.

3 l. Kill last arty. That will trigger the last wave that comes for you. Do as much damage as you can before the reach the small rock hill . 

4. Retreat back to the 2 boulders beside you . This will force the enemy to come to you and your sniper will engage them. You can then peek a boom with very little risk. 

You can also back down between the boulders and be in a extremely good hull down position. 

There is another spot which cause the reds to simply suicide or fall down to the lower level which allows any allied survivors to open fire and kill them .

pilotguy79 #14 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12630 battles
  • [S_W]

View PostXGR369er, on 29 October 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

yeah it does kind of suck that you can't run a light, medium or td that doesn't have any armor easily.  The laser accurate shots they get just gets old and annoying and the fact that you get no help with the last three tanks except for the bot on the hill, which gets blasted by the grills more then not, is rough.  

Not true. I use my chi ri,charioteer td , Conway, indien, my Lycan, tier 8 French light. My Lttb etc

pilotguy79 #15 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:20 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12630 battles
  • [S_W]

View PostXenith_Inc, on 12 October 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

Why did you go to the sniper spot to engage the 3rd wave.? That’s the worst thing you can do and will cost you the match.

if you are on ps4 add me I can show you the money spots for easier wins,

BigZoomBear #16 Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:53 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 46396 battles

View Postpilotguy79, on 03 November 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

Lfe is quite easy to finish even in horrible tanks. I’d put a video up. But I’d be afraid wg would watch and change the map or something. 

Once you engage the 3rd wave on the open field side . Do not engage them from where the sniper sits. Move up past the static Sherman and extra ammo . There is a bump on the cliff edge you can fight from. 

3 l. Kill last arty. That will trigger the last wave that comes for you. Do as much damage as you can before the reach the small rock hill . 

4. Retreat back to the 2 boulders beside you . This will force the enemy to come to you and your sniper will engage them. You can then peek a boom with very little risk. 

You can also back down between the boulders and be in a extremely good hull down position. 

There is another spot which cause the reds to simply suicide or fall down to the lower level which allows any allied survivors to open fire and kill them .

You nailed it.

That's precisely what I do.

Plus, with some lights such as the Brazilian or Hollenhund you can take on the last tank by running circles around it if you like.

hmsmystic #17 Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8335 battles
  • [ELDER]

View Postpilotguy79, on 03 November 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

I can't imagine wg drew up WS as a place for experience players to go memorize and repeat specific encounters daily for free xp/silver.   Look for another nerf soon to earning I'm afraid

pilotguy79 #18 Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12630 battles
  • [S_W]

View Posthmsmystic, on 05 November 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

I can't imagine wg drew up WS as a place for experience players to go memorize and repeat specific encounters daily for free xp/silver.   Look for another nerf soon to earning I'm afraid

Actually it’s a great way to try new tanks. Also a great way to get past the stock tank. Another thing to note though. The AI bots actually play far better than the humans in multiplayer. When you have multiple back to back games and 1/3 to half of your team strike out. I just move over to war stories ant tier 8-10 you should be able to get on the board. With exception of being one tapped by a death star or tier 10 arty.

hmsmystic #19 Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8335 battles
  • [ELDER]

View Postpilotguy79, on 05 November 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Actually it’s a great way to try new tanks. Also a great way to get past the stock tank. Another thing to note though. The AI bots actually play far better than the humans in multiplayer. When you have multiple back to back games and 1/3 to half of your team strike out. I just move over to war stories ant tier 8-10 you should be able to get on the board. With exception of being one tapped by a death star or tier 10 arty.

Oh I certainly agree with you, but in general multiplayer and MM would be better served if everyone played it for those purposes, while leaving WS to only those who want a break or just to play PVE.

pilotguy79 #20 Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:24 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12630 battles
  • [S_W]

View Posthmsmystic, on 05 November 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Oh I certainly agree with you, but in general multiplayer and MM would be better served if everyone played it for those purposes, while leaving WS to only those who want a break or just to play PVE.

I’d prefer to play mm more often but usually after a few matches of seeing terrible team play. I wish I could put screen shots on here. Back to back to back matches where 1/3 to 1/2 of the team get 0-0-0 . And it’s not the lower tiers. I under stand arty strike or Death Star hits , we all get those . 

But when you see the low tiers do all the heavy lifting while the top tier heavies base snipe. That’s when I move to warstories. At least their I know my allies are not going to move for live fire exercise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users