Jump to content


Inexperienced crews


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

XT356 #1 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:11 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013
How much of a true detriment is it to have a new crew every time? I tried the whole moving a crew deal and for some reason, it still would not let me use the perks I had unlocked. So, I pretty much stick a 75% crew in every time now. 

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


Thrillhelm #2 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 26802 battles
  • 251
  • [7ARMD]
  • Member since:
    02-02-2016
That's why you can overtrain them (like not starting a new perk until you have collected about 25% which is about 20 - 25 matches for that crew) and move on to the next tank without penalty. Or you use premium tanks to get back on 100% again (tanks that have extra crew-training xp come in handy here). However, I noticed that somehow Sixth Sense still works if your crew has that, even when the crew moves to a new tank with 75%.


XT356 #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

View PostThrillhelm, on 12 October 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

That's why you can overtrain them (like not starting a new perk until you have collected about 25% which is about 20 - 25 matches for that crew) and move on to the next tank without penalty. Or you use premium tanks to get back on 100% again (tanks that have extra crew-training xp come in handy here). However, I noticed that somehow Sixth Sense still works if your crew has that, even when the crew moves to a new tank with 75%.

 

I know about the moving the crews and over leveling. But for some reason, I always get penalized for moving crews around to my premium tanks. And I also keep forgetting to move them back. So 90% of my tanks have the same crew that they started with. Except for the STA1.  

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


Sadriel Fett #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22999 battles
  • 3,971
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

Per the online game guide for crews, if you mov a crew over to a new TT tech, all your skills/ perks you have trained up already should be working.  

 

It's about half-way down the page of that linked page:

 

If you reassign a Crew that has a set of active perks and skills, but opt not to send them to the Tank Academy in their new tank, those skills and perks will continue to be active, however they will not earn any additional experience towards the skill or perk until after the Crew member's training level reaches 100% again.

 

 

If your fully trained skills/ perks aren't working, I would definitely put in a bug report ticket because something isn't right.  I've always had my skills/ perks that were trained up work fine, like they're supposed to, when I transferred them to another TT tank.  

 


 

"Prepare for battle, reach for glory, and plan for blood." ~~ The Sovereign


XT356 #5 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

View PostSadriel Fett, on 12 October 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Per the online game guide for crews, if you mov a crew over to a new TT tech, all your skills/ perks you have trained up already should be working.  

 

It's about half-way down the page of that linked page:

 

If you reassign a Crew that has a set of active perks and skills, but opt not to send them to the Tank Academy in their new tank, those skills and perks will continue to be active, however they will not earn any additional experience towards the skill or perk until after the Crew member's training level reaches 100% again.

 

 

If your fully trained skills/ perks aren't working, I would definitely put in a bug report ticket because something isn't right.  I've always had my skills/ perks that were trained up work fine, like they're supposed to, when I transferred them to another TT tank.  

 

 

Ok, now it makes sense. I had the issue that the perks where all darked out and showed 75% for everything. So, after that, I quit trying to move crews around. 

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


Pontiac Pat #6 Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

    Major

  • WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 21745 battles
  • 6,037
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    08-11-2014

I have a dedicated crew for all of my TT tanks.  I don't like paying to retrain over and over. (and I delete all the 100% crews that come with premium tanks - unless they come with a skill already completed)

 

More to your question:  It is a handicap for a few games.  If you aren't willing to pay gold to keep them at 100% I suggest using war stories to rack up the 25% before jumping back in multiplayer.  It doesn't take long.


Edited by Pontiac Pat, 12 October 2018 - 03:00 PM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe


XT356 #7 Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

View PostPontiac Pat, on 12 October 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

More to your question:  It is a handicap for a few games.  If you aren't willing to pay gold to keep them at 100% I suggest using war stories to rack up the 25% before jumping back in multiplayer.  It doesn't take long.

 

Thats what I figured. I got the IS7 yesterday and decided to have a go With it. First match, team got decimated, second match,  was the opposite, but towards the end, my teammates decided to let the obj 263 kill me instead of cresting the dune and finishing it out.  Third, was alright, nothing spectacular.  Only one match having ss would have helped is the second one. Otherwise, not a HUGE deal.


I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


korbendallas-01 #8 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 41520 battles
  • 6,524
  • [GER_1]
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostXT356, on 12 October 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

How much of a true detriment is it to have a new crew every time?

 

A big one. Crew skills are not the most important thing to make you successful (your own skill is), but it's a part. At least the first couple of skills boost your tank's performance quite a bit.

 

View PostXT356, on 12 October 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

it still would not let me use the perks I had unlocked. So, I pretty much stick a 75% crew in every time now. 

 

I verified with Sixth Sense a while ago that skills are active even if the crew is under 100 %.



XT356 #9 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 12 October 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

I verified with Sixth Sense a while ago that skills are active even if the crew is under 100 %.

 

WG need to make a point that this part sticks out. I figured I was going to have to grind 25k xp per crew skill and gave up.


I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


Sadriel Fett #10 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22999 battles
  • 3,971
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostXT356, on 12 October 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

 

Ok, now it makes sense. I had the issue that the perks where all darked out and showed 75% for everything. So, after that, I quit trying to move crews around. 

 

Yep, the skills/ perks are darkened just as a visual indicator to let you know your crew isn't trained up to 100% tank proficiency.  So, if you were halfway through training, say BIA for example, any XP you get in battle won't go to that until your Crew Proficeiency is 100% again in their new tank.  Like Pontiac Pat mentioned, though, you can stick them in a Premium tank and make up the XP to get them fully proficient again pretty quick.  

 

"Prepare for battle, reach for glory, and plan for blood." ~~ The Sovereign


Sadriel Fett #11 Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22999 battles
  • 3,971
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014

View PostXT356, on 12 October 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

 

WG need to make a point that this part sticks out. I figured I was going to have to grind 25k xp per crew skill and gave up.

 

Agreed!  Another reason they need to get the Game Guides access back up and running on the main web page.  The only reason I could still bring up that Game Guide link was because I bookmarked it for reference.

 

"Prepare for battle, reach for glory, and plan for blood." ~~ The Sovereign


Albapfalzd3 #12 Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:48 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16388 battles
  • 1,591
  • Member since:
    04-07-2017

Yeah, I pretty much do not move a crew into a new tank until I have over trained them 25000 Crew XP. There is a handy dandy calculator Max has out that will help you determine exactly how much crew XP you earn in each battle if you are so inclined to keep track. This is where your premium tanks come in real handy as you can run a crew through several of them getting the daily x2 plus the 25% Accelerated crew training bonus for premium and elite tanks. It takes about a dozen victories (or less if you have some real good matches) to get the required XP. If you move them early, all your perks and skills still work (skills work at a diminished efficiency I believe) you just cannot train a new S/P until you reach 100% tank efficiency. 

     What I do is I start a crews S/P training for a crew in a Tier Three tank. I train a Skill (usually Repairs) then trade it for SS once complete. I then start over training. Remember DO NOT pick a new S/P to train as it will keep you from over training. Once over trained I then move the crew into a Tier IV tank with no penalty only paying for the 75% training (with the over training they will be at 100%). I then pick a skill again (usually repairs) and then trade it for BiA once complete and then over train again and then move them into a Tier V tank and start over and keep doing this all the way up until Tier X (which I haven't reached yet) training what ever S/P you deem necessary for your Crew. If done this way you will have at least a 8 S/P crew when you reach Tier X. You may have more because on some very long grinds you can train two S/P before moving up if you so desire. It is slower doing it this way but you build up your crews and you build up a lot of silver.  

 

Roy



korbendallas-01 #13 Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:09 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 41520 battles
  • 6,524
  • [GER_1]
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 13 October 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Yeah, I pretty much do not move a crew into a new tank until I have over trained them 25000 Crew XP. There is a handy dandy calculator Max has out that will help you determine exactly how much crew XP you earn in each battle if you are so inclined to keep track. This is where your premium tanks come in real handy as you can run a crew through several of them getting the daily x2 plus the 25% Accelerated crew training bonus for premium and elite tanks. It takes about a dozen victories (or less if you have some real good matches) to get the required XP. If you move them early, all your perks and skills still work (skills work at a diminished efficiency I believe) you just cannot train a new S/P until you reach 100% tank efficiency.

 

I never understood the emphasis some players put on overtraining. Sure I use it when the situation comes up, but it rarely does.

 

If I'm in the start of a grind and can pick a new skill, I rather pick the skill and benefit from it for eg. 100,000 XP than overtrain the 100k.

 

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 13 October 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

     What I do is I start a crews S/P training for a crew in a Tier Three tank. I train a Skill (usually Repairs) then trade it for SS once complete. I then start over training. Remember DO NOT pick a new S/P to train as it will keep you from over training. Once over trained I then move the crew into a Tier IV tank with no penalty only paying for the 75% training (with the over training they will be at 100%). I then pick a skill again (usually repairs) and then trade it for BiA once complete and then over train again and then move them into a Tier V tank and start over and keep doing this all the way up until Tier X (which I haven't reached yet) training what ever S/P you deem necessary for your Crew. If done this way you will have at least a 8 S/P crew when you reach Tier X. You may have more because on some very long grinds you can train two S/P before moving up if you so desire. It is slower doing it this way but you build up your crews and you build up a lot of silver.

 

I run my <100 % crews through my premium tanks until they are at 100 %.



Albapfalzd3 #14 Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16388 battles
  • 1,591
  • Member since:
    04-07-2017

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 13 October 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

 

I never understood the emphasis some players put on overtraining. Sure I use it when the situation comes up, but it rarely does.

 

If I'm in the start of a grind and can pick a new skill, I rather pick the skill and benefit from it for eg. 100,000 XP than overtrain the 100k.

 

 

I run my <100 % crews through my premium tanks until they are at 100 %.

 

The over training doesn't start until after you have mastered the skill/perk you were training on. Once you have finished training a skill or perk you just keep playing without choosing a new one to train until you are finished with the tank grind (you usually finish the tank grind before you finish training a skill or perk especially at the lower Tiers) you are currently working on. Once you have finished the grind and acquired an addition 25000 (roughly) Crew XP you can now transfer that crew into the next TT tank and pay for 75% training. If done correctly you should be prompted to start training a new crew Skill or Perk. This means they are in fact at 100% tank mastery. This way you never have a crew not up to their full potential in their new tank and you can start training a new S/P right away. One way or the other you are going to have to pick up that 25000 XP. You can do while your crew is at 100% tank mastery using all their Skills at full potential or you can do without the tank mastery and the crew using their Skills at a reduced potential (learned perks are always used at full potential). I prefer having the Tank Mastery.

 

Roy


Edited by Albapfalzd3, 13 October 2018 - 09:10 PM.


XT356 #15 Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5933 battles
  • 785
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 13 October 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

 

The over training doesn't start until after you have mastered the skill/perk you were training on. Once you have finished training a skill or perk you just keep playing without choosing a new one to train until you are finished with the tank grind (you usually finish the tank grind before you finish training a skill or perk especially at the lower Tiers) you are currently working on. Once you have finished the grind and acquired an addition 25000 (roughly) Crew XP you can now transfer that crew into the next TT tank and pay for 75% training. If done correctly you should be prompted to start training a new crew Skill or Perk. This means they are in fact at 100% tank mastery. This way you never have a crew not up to their full potential in their new tank and you can start training a new S/P right away. One way or the other you are going to have to pick up that 25000 XP. You can do while your crew is at 100% tank mastery using all their Skills at full potential or you can do without the tank mastery and the crew using their Skills at a reduced potential (learned perks are always used at full potential). I prefer having the Tank Mastery.

 

Roy

 

I wish then I started playing, they had some sort of in depth crew explanation. 

I will eat your unhappiness.

"Time... line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"


CleverJoey1844 #16 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 39206 battles
  • 857
  • [STDZ]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2015
Is there a limit to how many crews you can have?? For instance if you received a PM tank with a crew, can it delete a crew from garage? To make space?

korbendallas-01 #17 Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:19 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 41520 battles
  • 6,524
  • [GER_1]
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 13 October 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

The over training doesn't start until after you have mastered the skill/perk you were training on. Once you have finished training a skill or perk you just keep playing without choosing a new one to train until you are finished with the tank grind (you usually finish the tank grind before you finish training a skill or perk especially at the lower Tiers) you are currently working on. Once you have finished the grind and acquired an addition 25000 (roughly) Crew XP you can now transfer that crew into the next TT tank and pay for 75% training. If done correctly you should be prompted to start training a new crew Skill or Perk. This means they are in fact at 100% tank mastery. This way you never have a crew not up to their full potential in their new tank and you can start training a new S/P right away. One way or the other you are going to have to pick up that 25000 XP. You can do while your crew is at 100% tank mastery using all their Skills at full potential or you can do without the tank mastery and the crew using their Skills at a reduced potential (learned perks are always used at full potential). I prefer having the Tank Mastery.

 

Yeah, I know how it works. You ignore my example though, so here it comes again, with more detail:

 

Assume you start grinding the Batchât 12 t, and shortly thereafter you get a new skill. You suggest that you should refrain picking a new skill until you fully researched the vehicle and move the crew up one tier, right? Well in this case that would mean that you do not merely postpone one skill, but up to five (!). So while I enjoy those skills for hundreds of games, you enjoy the short phase of a less-than-able crew at the end.

 

Yes, that's an extreme case, but the situation does come up for many tanks. That's why I think that overtraining should be used very judiciously. When I have a new skill coming up, I check how much more XP I need for finishing the tank, and I overtrain only when it's within ~40k.



korbendallas-01 #18 Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:21 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 41520 battles
  • 6,524
  • [GER_1]
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostCleverJoey1844, on 16 October 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

Is there a limit to how many crews you can have?? For instance if you received a PM tank with a crew, can it delete a crew from garage? To make space?

 

Not sure what a PM tank is, but I often delete crews.

 

Max answered that question a while ago, there is a limit on unused crews of 400 or thereabouts, no limits on crew as such.



Albapfalzd3 #19 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:14 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16388 battles
  • 1,591
  • Member since:
    04-07-2017

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 16 October 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

 

Yeah, I know how it works. You ignore my example though, so here it comes again, with more detail:

 

Assume you start grinding the Batchât 12 t, and shortly thereafter you get a new skill. You suggest that you should refrain picking a new skill until you fully researched the vehicle and move the crew up one tier, right? Well in this case that would mean that you do not merely postpone one skill, but up to five (!). So while I enjoy those skills for hundreds of games, you enjoy the short phase of a less-than-able crew at the end.

 

Yes, that's an extreme case, but the situation does come up for many tanks. That's why I think that overtraining should be used very judiciously. When I have a new skill coming up, I check how much more XP I need for finishing the tank, and I overtrain only when it's within ~40k.

 

     That would depend on how much more XP you need to finish the tank grind and how many Perks/Skills (P/S) your crew already has. If your crew has lets say 3 P/S and you still have 100K to finish the grind on your Batchat 12t then pick a new P/S and train it up because it only takes 100K XP to train each P/S 1 thru 4. Now over train your crew another 25K in the now Elite BC 12t and your French Premiums before transferring them into the next TT tank. Now if you already have 4 P/S and only 100K left to grind, I would hold off training a new P/S until you finish the grind (because it take 200K to train P/S 4 thru 8 and 400K for P/S 8 thru 12 and so on and so forth). Once that grind is finished you can immediately transfer that crew into the next TT tank for silver, be at 100% tank mastery and have 75K Crew XP immediately go towards the next P/S you decide to train because you will immediately be prompted pick one. 

     Now let me see if I understand you correctly, You still have 100K to go on your BC 12t and you just finished training a P/S on your crew, it's forth let say. You say you would immediately start training a new one, it's 5th which requires 200k Crew XP. O.K. now you just finished the last 100K on your tank and you would do what? Immediately transfer the crew to the next TT tank using silver which would be 75% tank mastery or keep your crew in the BC 12t until it finishes training the 5th P/S and then immediately transfer them into the next TT tank again using silver?  In either case your crew goes into the next TT tank at 75% tank mastery and will perform substandard until it gets the 25k XP it needs to get it up to 100%.  Only in one case if will go into it with 4 P/S and in the other case with 5. Remember skills only work at the efficiency that the crew has in their current tank. If you have a skill on your crew and are only at 75% tank mastery, that skill is only working at 75%. Perks work at 100% at all times once trained. Now looking at the two choices above I would never go with the first one. The second one I do all the time especially if I am really liking the tank but I over train once finished training the P/S before transferring the crew. 

 

Roy



Albapfalzd3 #20 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16388 battles
  • 1,591
  • Member since:
    04-07-2017

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 16 October 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

 

Not sure what a PM tank is, but I often delete crews.

 

Max answered that question a while ago, there is a limit on unused crews of 400 or thereabouts, no limits on crew as such.

 

PM = Premium.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users