Long Reach Mercenaries Tank Review

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Pontiac Pat #1 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 26129 battles
  • [47R]

After grinding out the Long Reach I got myself looking forward to playing it.  I spend that time tonight and here are my thoughts...

Pros:

BIG alpha - 390 alpha with solid pen at tier 6 is a beautiful thing.

OK armor - Turret is solid and the side hull is thick enough to side scrape.

Decent Speed - For a heavy it gets to the fight rapidly.

Cons:

Derpy gun handling - second only to the KV-2 and O-I derp guns for worst gun handling in the tier.

Low DPM - You have to make every shot count to keep enemies at bay, but the derpy gun handling makes that nearly impossible.

Terrible gun depression - only 3*, same as the KV-85 but on a taller chassis.  Bad.  You can plan positions where it's not such a big issue, but it seriously limits when/where you can fight.

Terrible reverse speed - only 8kph in reverse. (VK36 has 12 and KV-85 has 14)  This is a HUGE issue when combined with the factors noted above.  It means you have to expose your tank to get the gun laid in, then pray your shot flies true, then, after having been exposed for 5+ seconds to aim in and take the shot you spend another 5 seconds trying to get back into cover.

Worthless spaced armor.  The location of the spaced armor is so low that most incoming fire doesn't even strike it.  The auto-aim zone is above it.  This means you have the weight penalty of the spaced armor with little or no actual armor benefit.

All in all, the tank offers the promise of greatness with the big gun, but the practical application of that firepower is SOOOOO restricted that you are constantly battling your own tank just to get the gun into action effectively.  I wouldn't call it the worst heavy in tier.  That is reserved for the Churchill VII.  I would, however, put it in the bottom half.  The KV-85 with the 122 package is a better all around tank.

WG, The two issues that I think need the most attention to make this tank enjoyable rather than frustrating are the reverse speed and the gun characteristics.  Give it the same 12kph reverse as the VK, the 4* of gun depression of the Churchill VII, and the same accuracy/aim time as the KV-85 and it should be fine.  The lower dpm and the taller chassis (which makes the gun depression a HUGE limitation) will easily keep the tank in check, IMO.

Verdict - It's a contract you can skip without missing out on anything.

Edited by Pontiac Pat, 16 October 2018 - 07:24 AM.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

Haukkis #2 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 35055 battles
Am I the only one here on forums that actually liked Churchill VII? 

dreadnought8283 #3 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 7103 battles

View PostPontiac Pat, on 16 October 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

After grinding out the Long Reach I got myself looking forward to playing it.  I spend that time tonight and here are my thoughts...

Pros:

BIG alpha - 390 alpha with solid pen at tier 6 is a beautiful thing.

OK armor - Turret is solid and the side hull is thick enough to side scrape.

Decent Speed - For a heavy it gets to the fight rapidly.

Cons:

Derpy gun handling - second only to the KV-2 and O-I derp guns for worst gun handling in the tier.

Low DPM - You have to make every shot count to keep enemies at bay, but the derpy gun handling makes that nearly impossible.

Terrible gun depression - only 3*, same as the KV-85 but on a taller chassis.  Bad.  You can plan positions where it's not such a big issue, but it seriously limits when/where you can fight.

Terrible reverse speed - only 8kph in reverse. (VK36 has 12 and KV-85 has 14)  This is a HUGE issue when combined with the factors noted above.  It means you have to expose your tank to get the gun laid in, then pray your shot flies true, then, after having been exposed for 5+ seconds to aim in and take the shot you spend another 5 seconds trying to get back into cover.

Worthless spaced armor.  The location of the spaced armor is so low that most incoming fire doesn't even strike it.  The auto-aim zone is above it.  This means you have the weight penalty of the spaced armor with little or no actual armor benefit.

All in all, the tank offers the promise of greatness with the big gun, but the practical application of that firepower is SOOOOO restricted that you are constantly battling your own tank just to get the gun into action effectively.  I wouldn't call it the worst heavy in tier.  That is reserved for the Churchill VII.  I would, however, put it in the bottom half.  The KV-85 with the 122 package is a better all around tank.

WG, The two issues that I think need the most attention to make this tank enjoyable rather than frustrating are the reverse speed and the gun characteristics.  Give it the same 12kph reverse as the VK, the 4* of gun depression of the Churchill VII, and the same accuracy/aim time as the KV-85 and it should be fine.  The lower dpm and the taller chassis (which makes the gun depression a HUGE limitation) will easily keep the tank in check, IMO.

Verdict - It's a contract you can skip without missing out on anything.

Well didn't know the church 6 was the worst heavy for its tier, but soon learnt it 1st hand grinding for the reach. Also imo if the tank is going to be that bad then I'd give it 440 alpha an at least 2 degrees more gun depression so that when it hits your wrecking someone much like the 100y.

Sledge1Swede #4 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 53582 battles
  • [CH4OS]

Just like the Boulder a very UP tank as the rest of the Mecenary line so far.

Mercenary is still not there as a option it is just a waste of time and to some anything to go for being waiting forever on regular tech tree tanks and nations.

So many tanks so many grinds and so many crews to grind and for what ?

Shockwave IIC #5 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18310 battles
  • [-PA-]

Not too bothered if I don't complete this grind now.

I could cancel it and go for the tier 3's but they have less use to me than the Tier 1's

Chaffee ***, M10 Wolverine ***, Hellcat **, Fury **, Easy 8 ***, M6 ***, T29 ***, T71 **, T69 **, Comet I IT34 **, T34 85 ** T150 ***, KV4 **, VK30.01D III III III, VK30.01M III III, VK30.02D III III, Tiger P III III,

http://forum-console...our-average-joe

Sammael85 #6 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26092 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostHaukkis, on 16 October 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

You're not alone, it's only issue is that is pretty slow.

Knot3D #7 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22828 battles

View PostHaukkis, on 16 October 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

No, but thera are plenty of players who are unable or unwilling to adapt to slow speed tanks.

About the Long Reach's gun depression: That 122mm gun, in a Churchill VII turret is questionable in the first place.

Asking for more gun depression will make the breach simply crack through the roof.

radonism #8 Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17341 battles

The biggest draw for me was the 6 days premium for stages 6 and 7 (I think). I reckon I'll probably sell the tank once acquired. 3 degrees gun depression plus a derpy gun! No thanks.

I wouldn't have minded the Sharpshooter, but couldn't be bothered with the really restrictive requirements. 

DoomPanzer #9 Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32145 battles
  • [-USA-]

View PostHaukkis, on 16 October 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

I liked the church 1 , church 7, and BP, the were all fun tanks! Most can't deal with the speed of these tanks, I got to the type 4 and that is a big fat slow bumbling

*3 Marks of Excellence*

M48A5 Patton, Centurion AX, Chieftain, FV215b, T110E4, IS-7, T110E5, Conquerer, E-75, M103, T-34B, 112, Type 59, Motherland, Fatherland, Obj 252u, IS-M, Fcm 50t, T26E4, KV-5, Primo Victoria, Patriot , HMH Amx M4 Mle. 49, T95e2, Legion, STA-1, Emil 1, ChieftainT95, IS-2, T29, Tiger 1, Tiger 131,T-VI-100, 45TP, The Warlord, T-34-88, Boilermaker

Scoobydooboj #10 Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18615 battles
  • [7ARMD]

View PostHaukkis, on 16 October 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Ilike my Bulldog Churchill if that counts?
In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

dreadnought8283 #11 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 7103 battles

View PostSammael85, on 16 October 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

You're not alone, it's only issue is that is pretty slow.

View PostDoomPanzer, on 16 October 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

I liked the church 1 , church 7, and BP, the were all fun tanks! Most can't deal with the speed of these tanks, I got to the type 4 and that is a big fat slow bumbling

I don't mind the churches speed so much as having 3 out of 20 games bottom tier mostly from a stock grind, and it made this tank so undesirable. However tbh I wouldn't mind the reach but the real reason I was grinding is for the BP so it could be my go to t7 

happybill1968 #12 Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:05 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5927 battles
Exactly how I felt about the reach also. You spent more time battling your tank to get that gun into action and with the bad gun handling it just made it darn near impossible to get shots at times. You were nicer than me I called this tank a POS pile of junk. If they would do something with the gun depression and the reverse speed it could become playable. But I sold mine since I don’t need a frustrating tank in my Garage that’s just going to make me angry all the time

Sammael85 #13 Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:09 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26092 battles
  • [FAC]

View Postdreadnought8283, on 16 October 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

I don't mind the churches speed so much as having 3 out of 20 games bottom tier mostly from a stock grind, and it made this tank so undesirable. However tbh I wouldn't mind the reach but the real reason I was grinding is for the BP so it could be my go to t7 

Well, my first game in the IS-3 was as mid tier today in the stock package despite having the BL-9 gun from the ST-I, but i don't think that MM stupidity can make a tank bad for itself. ;)

As long as you can take advantage of the good stuff the Churchill VII can offer, you surely enjoy the Black Prince way more despite the lack of improvement on alpha damage per sé; specially talking about the hull traverse mobility with the later engines. However, in this update seems that every tracking shot to a B.P. does damage as well, i'll have to do more personal testing on it though.

M4ntiX #14 Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 30644 battles
  • [JOCO]

Thank you Pontiac Pat for the well written review!

I've read it a day before unlocking the tank and it got me worried.

Today I've had my first battle in it. Let's just say it will be hard not to like the tank after this. :)

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/m4ntix/screenshot/10623023

I have VERY limited experience in the tank (one battle *cough* *cough*) and am in the process of getting the feel for it, but I would add hull traverse speed to the list of negatives (at least on soft ground). It's pretty bad. I had to wait and chose a moment to rotate the hull and time it with my enemy's reload. It's bad.

However, the gun is less trolly than I expected looking at the stats. it hits hard and I do mean HARD. 400+ rolls in tier VI seeing tier IV's? Two shot any russian KV, sure I'll take it. Shell velocity is rather poor tho and moving targets need to have a significant lead when firing.

Mobility is good for a heavy. Armor is surprisingly reliable if angled correctly and you are right, it can side scrape effectively.

All in all and despite of not being a fan of merc tanks and the whole, fictional concept behind them, I think this one is a keeper. For one simple reason, it's FUN.

"For some reason you feel the need to troll stink bomb a statement of fact."

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"I live in reality and let me tell you, there is no one here."

Pontiac Pat #15 Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:00 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 26129 battles
  • [47R]
Nice battle.  My first one was good too.  RNG made every shot hit.  I thought to myself, "This is going to be a lot of fun."  Next battle, only 4 of 7 connected and it stayed very trollish after that.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

tankmurdoc #16 Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:17 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 45316 battles

It's a Dpm monster. I like it a lot.

Schiavoser #17 Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39824 battles

Already too far into Reach contract to abort. I should have it done this weekend or early next week. 

I liked the KV-85 with the 122mm despite all the tank's flaws. That's why I decided to give this contract a go. I don't have high expectations. If I hate it, I'll just sell it.

DertyChewbacca #18 Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 8897 battles
Good review on the ReachAround Pat. I've only played a couple games, but I enjoy it. If you've played USSR Hvy you've played the Reach. Just don't depend on the spaced armor.

furballthegame #19 Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27411 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 18 October 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Already too far into Reach contract to abort. I should have it done this weekend or early next week. 

I liked the KV-85 with the 122mm despite all the tank's flaws. That's why I decided to give this contract a go. I don't have high expectations. If I hate it, I'll just sell it.

Put GLD and Rammer on it

furballthegame #20 Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27411 battles

Yep

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users